• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

JB Food

tonto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Me too, landmarks and orientation.

I find Bukit INdah roundabout being rather unique in the nearby area, so it helps in map reading.

Are there nice seafood around BI area? Those local eatery or open air type? Like kam heong crab, superior soup lala (siong tong lala), salt pepper prawn (jiao yan xia)?

tonto

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was scouting around for local food for long term coz when I retire there, I cannot spend like a visitor. The only way to stretch my retirement dollar is to eat based on local price. Like if I eat char kuey teow in Singapore for S$3, I should have something similar in JB for MYR4. Eating in JB restaurants are not exactly cheap if I no longer have S$ income. There were some coffee shops along Bestari area (the stretch where Old Town is) that serves local food at local price. Having a local plated car is also one of the considerations for using RON95 petrol at MYR1.90/litre.

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tonto, we share the same considerations as you :smile:

Restaurants makan only certain days, mostly coffeeshops and home cook food.

I am still exploring and rely on recommendations.
http://johorkaki.blogspot.com/

I was scouting around for local food for long term coz when I retire there, I cannot spend like a visitor. The only way to stretch my retirement dollar is to eat based on local price. Like if I eat char kuey teow in Singapore for S$3, I should have something similar in JB for MYR4. Having a local plated car is also one of the considerations for using RON95 petrol at MYR1.90/litre.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
oh didn't know of the blog. thanks for sharing!

Its a great blog. Most comprehensive one I have seen, similar to Singapore's ieatishootipost. Just need to be a bt careful when you visit the stalls late at night, esp those in the JB city centre.......

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Hi all,

I need one advice. Need a romantic restaurant in JB for a nice candlelight dinner. Anyone has any suggestion? I do not drive. Thank you in advance.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

I need one advice. Need a romantic restaurant in JB for a nice candlelight dinner. Anyone has any suggestion? I do not drive. Thank you in advance.

Since you dun drive, Chez Papa (french bistro) at Pelangi is probably your best bet......Its at the row of shophouses near Plaza Pelangi.....The escargot & Foie gra not bad.....

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, agree tat their food is very gd, I like it v much, but I dun find it romantic (to my taste). Lido 8 has more to offer IMO. Give it a try if u haven been :wink:

Since you dun drive, Chez Papa (french bistro) at Pelangi is probably your best bet......Its at the row of shophouses near Plaza Pelangi.....The escargot & Foie gra not bad.....

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Its a great blog. Most comprehensive one I have seen, similar to Singapore's ieatishootipost. Just need to be a bt careful when you visit the stalls late at night, esp those in the JB city centre.......

Hi brother, care to share what to look out for? I am beginning to spend more time in JB city centre and need some advice on the do's and dont's. Thank you in advance.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi brother, care to share what to look out for? I am beginning to spend more time in JB city centre and need some advice on the do's and dont's. Thank you in advance.

I think you will be fine with standard common sense stuff. Its not that scary ar......haha

These include: (1) Looking around for suspicious characters before you go into/out of the car. (2) Not leaving anything visible in the car, especially bags, and packages. (3) Parking your car in well-lighted areas (4) If you can, do invest in a steering wheel lock. Though not fool-proof, it makes it more troublesome for them. (5) For ladies, carrying your handbag towards the inner side of the road, so that the bikers cant just grab them & go.

butadesu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello,

Anyone can recommend a good place to eat for lunch at JB city or near danga bay area??
I wanted to go Chez Papa or lido8 but I found they only open in the evening....

thanks

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello,

Anyone can recommend a good place to eat for lunch at JB city or near danga bay area??
I wanted to go Chez Papa or lido8 but I found they only open in the evening....

thanks

Johor Kaki's superb blog is your best bet. If you are into Jap food, I find 味彩 (Pelangi row of shophousese behind Plaza Pelangi) not bad. They got lunch set also....

graveyard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are there nice seafood around BI area? Those local eatery or open air type? Like kam heong crab, superior soup lala (siong tong lala), salt pepper prawn (jiao yan xia)?

there is a seafood restaurant nearby BI near taman laguna called "hai fan chun" in mandarin. very decent seafood - a bit exp (crab cost RM90 but the portion is hugee) but most dishes are nice. you can enjoy your seabreeze too while u eat - the setup is similar to that at kukup.