• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Petition to Mr. Tan Kin Lian

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I have come to know Mr. Tan Kin Lian early this year after hearing about his effort to fight for the NTUC Income policy holders' interests and rights. I have emailed Kin Lian personally to ask him to consider to run for the next Presidential Elections. He is fully well qualified to become an independent Presidential candidate. We met up subsequently but Kin Lian has his reservations about running for Presidential Elections mainly of his wife's preference as well as whether he is not sure whether Singaporeans want a contest at all.

Recently, Kin Lian called me up to help him with his Mandarin speeches at Hong Lim Park, to help those structured products investors to seek fair compensation from these mis-sold products. I have agreed to help him and in the process, I get to know him better as a person.

Kin Lian is a person with great convictions and beliefs in Fairness as well as Social Justice. The reason why he has acted TWICE in a short span of time to stand up for aggrieved insurance policy holders as well as structured product investors is mainly because he believes that they are not been FAIRLY TREATED. In the course of meeting up with him, I do find that he has strong beliefs in good governance in which the government must take care of the people's interests first rather than their own. Most importantly, he has shown great patriotism and convictions for this country. He has even joked that if there are enough people who want him to stand as Presidential candidate and gets elected, he would only keep a small part of the hefty annual salary that the President drawn and donated the rest to the charities around Singapore. He believes that political office holders should not be there just for the money and keep comparing it with private top salaries. A political office is PUBLIC SERVICE, not a commercial post. A decent salary to keep them to live in comfort should be enough and it definitely need not be a million dollar annual pay. This is what Kin Lian believes.

Yes, a man at his age, status and well being, does not need to get involved at all in this political arena and fully understand his position. But from recent happenings, I believe many people's eyes have been opened to see the ugly side of what a lopsided political system could do to us. The government has unfairly sided with big financial institutions even without conducting any OPEN AND TRANSPARENT investigations into the Minibond saga.

When PAP Town Councils lost money in these structured products, tens of millions dollars are considered as "small" (maybe even peanuts) and yet PAP MP still insist that we must be thankful to them for making money in the past! I can understand that even big institutions could lose money in investment especially so when they are mis-sold (yes, as MM Lee says, they should have "walk in with their eyes open") but to present such aloof and arrogant attitude towards the whole matter is unbecoming of ELECTED political office holders! Maybe its because ministers have million or even multi-million dollar annual pay and thus, a couple of ten million dollars are just "peanuts" to them. But for most people who earn less than $50K a year, a couple of 10 million dollars IS A BIG DEAL to them! To add salt to injury and insults, they even claim that WE SHOULD BE GRATEFUL to them! Its not merely about the monetary lost but rather the total lost of humility and SENSE OF PUBLIC RESPONSIBILITY as PUBLIC SERVANTS.

I would say that they SHOULD BE GRATEFUL TO VOTERS whom voted them in to give them the opportunity to SERVE the people. It is their job to manage the funds well because they are elected and paid to do the job.

I feel very sad about such attitude from PAP MPs and ministers alike. They have totally forgotten that they are PUBLIC SERVANTS. And I believe that we should have more people with great status and beliefs in what PUBLIC SERVICE should be to be elected into parliament as an alternative MPs to PAP. I have spoken to Kin Lian about this and although he agrees with what I have said, he still feels that he does not want to get into parliamentary politics if there is no PUBLIC DEMAND for alternatives to PAP. I have suggested to him that I will start a Nation wide petition for a call and show of PUBLIC SUPPORT and DEMAND of him to stand up for our beloved country. If I can get a substantial amount of signatures in the thousands or even tens of thousands signature, I really hope that he could reconsider to lead a group of credible people whom he thinks could serve the country better as Alternative MPs to the ruling party.

And so, here I am, writing to all my beloved Singaporeans, to do your part in signing this petition here if you agree with what I say here and strongly believe in the need of having a credible team of alternative MPs led by Mr. Tan Kin Lian. Mr. Tan Kin Lian has been writing petitions and collecting signatures for all these while for many Singaporeans out there to fight for their rights and interests. It is time that we should do something in return, to petition him to lead a group of credible people to stand up for our rights and interests in parliament. All information collected will be kept in confidence. We need your action and support to create a better Singapore for our future generations.

An Online Petition will be created very soon and if we have the resources, we will go round island to collect signatures for this petition by next month. Watch this space for the next few days for more updates.

Goh Meng Seng

Man in the streets

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think TKL is a good candidate to contest Nathan.

Set up also online donation for TKL to face off the next presidential election as some one has suggested.

At least we have something to look forward to.

Thank you Meng Seng.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think TKL can do better than that ex-ISD Prata-Nathan who has no idea about finance or economics or the sufferings of the Singapore citizens.Singapore citizens are crying out for help in these times of financial crisis especially the lower-income and jobless.

Sammael

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not at all sure if our PAPists are motivated by the huge salaries or the desire to serve....looks like jump into the PAP bandwagon & be rich even non-performer like Yeo CT got very rich with big fat pension & parking lot appointments in public n private listed companies.
As usual the peasants suffer & can get kicked in the balls if complaining...

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I wish I can be given more than one vote for him. When he first started his blog, he is already the man that came to my mind. His depth of financial knowledge will certainly put him in a better position to control and manage Singapore reserve.

He is also not related to any political party. Having him become an impartial president will also ensure our monies are kept safe and opposition have no fear of the pap.

He is still young and can run for many terms as president. A kind heart who put people above money will definitely earn him greater respect and be remembered for many generations that no money can measure. He should consider this matter for the sake of this country, the people and the alternative parties.

Our current president, who shows no concern for the suffering people, shall not be remembered by me, at least.

Ah Hai

Alfrescian
Loyal
i believe he would be a good President, " for the people by the people to the people ",Tan Kin Lian go! go ! ...

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
prataman is the worst president we ever had..

even worse than 'the alcoholic'..

prataman's replacement cannot fare any worse.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
An Online Petition will be created very soon and if we have the resources, we will go round island to collect signatures for this petition by next month. Watch this space for the next few days for more updates.

Goh Meng Seng

how come you post the same thing in 2 different folders? just direct it to a single folder lah, very confusing leh :p

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have spoken to Kin Lian about this and although he agrees with what I have said, he still feels that he does not want to get into parliamentary politics if there is no PUBLIC DEMAND for alternatives to PAP. I have suggested to him that I will start a Nation wide petition for a call and show of PUBLIC SUPPORT and DEMAND of him to stand up for our beloved country. If I can get a substantial amount of signatures in the thousands or even tens of thousands signature, I really hope that he could reconsider to lead a group of credible people whom he thinks could serve the country better as Alternative MPs to the ruling party.

These are my thoughts

1. The first 2 elected Presidents came from NTUC background and now another NTUC chap. Is our talent pool so small that we have to fish from the same pool that was created, controlled and maintained by the PAP. This is the same outfit that has a cabinet minister who is Sec Gen of NTUC that sat and watched while DBS sacked their fee payimng union members without consulting NTUC.
  2. Its obvious that Kin Lian is still operating within the PAP universe where like the PAP, policians are invited to join political office. He obviously wants an invitation and for some reason does not think there is a need unless you can proved it by getting the numbers. Does that sound like a man who has pulse of the nation.
  3. I sincerely believe that he is still lives within the PAP universe. The fact that he found a voice with TOC which you and I know was created by people with past and present association with the PAP
  4. We all know that 90% of PAP MPs are generally good people with a decent heart but have fallen into a system that proscribes their behaviour. What makes you think that Kin Lian will work out of the system. Frankly, from what I know of him, he will never even come close to Tan Cheng Bock, Tan Soo Khoon or even Lily Kong. After 30 years with NTUC, what changed.
  5. Singaporeans are looking for people who can truly give an alternative view. What happended since his retirement after 30 years with PAP's conceived and run NTUC that changed his mind.

My personal feel is that you have gotten too close and can't see the forest for the trees. As I said, 90% of PAP MPs are decent people even now but have been cajoled, persuaded and finally sanitised to work in a system that perpetuates the power of one man and one family.

Tan Kin Lian worked in an organisation that provided him with a captive customer base from the very start. I would not rate him on the same level as someone who started a $2 company or ran a hawker stall and made a success of it.

I have no doubt that he is a good man at heart. We are not looking for good men and women at heart. We are looking for some who knew from the age of 21, that the ways of the PAP does no good to society and to Singaporeans. We are looking for smart people that are not pliable and are able to stand and fight the good fight.

Many of us refused to join the PAP, NTUC or anyone of its symbiotic bodies as a matter of principle. Here you are bringing a lifelong salaried man of the NTUC and presenting him to the nation. What happenned for 30 years in NTUC. Did you think they chained him to his desk.

Look at the arrogant Dr Teo Ho Ping. When Mas Selmat escaped, he was grilling Wong Kan Seng. Now look at him dodging and evading answers and claiming that investment strategies of Town Council are secret. Even has the audacity to tell us to be grateful to town councils. I call that a wayang and nobody does it better than PAP.

At the end of the day, it looks like PAP will get its one party country without much effort.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Scroobal,

Very good observations and believe me, I have considered all your points as well. The question now is, do we have a better alternative?

With the ongoing saga, I believe that Kin Lian is at the best standing of creating an alternative, though may not be VERY DIFFERENT from what we are having right now, but the punch through of a GRC itself, is a worthy cause to fight.

I believe people are dynamic and not stagnant. I may be wrong but my judgment of the day is, this is the best bet at the moment. If I am wrong, so be it, I take responsibility for what I do.

Meng Seng

These are my thoughts

1. The first 2 elected Presidents came from NTUC background and now another NTUC chap. Is our talent pool so small that we have to fish from the same pool that was created, controlled and maintained by the PAP. This is the same outfit that has a cabinet minister who is Sec Gen of NTUC that sat and watched while DBS sacked their fee payimng union members without consulting NTUC.
  2. Its obvious that Kin Lian is still operating within the PAP universe where like the PAP, policians are invited to join political office. He obviously wants an invitation and for some reason does not think there is a need unless you can proved it by getting the numbers. Does that sound like a man who has pulse of the nation.
  3. I sincerely believe that he is still lives within the PAP universe. The fact that he found a voice with TOC which you and I know was created by people with past and present association with the PAP
  4. We all know that 90% of PAP MPs are generally good people with a decent heart but have fallen into a system that proscribes their behaviour. What makes you think that Kin Lian will work out of the system. Frankly, from what I know of him, he will never even come close to Tan Cheng Bock, Tan Soo Khoon or even Lily Kong. After 30 years with NTUC, what changed.
  5. Singaporeans are looking for people who can truly give an alternative view. What happended since his retirement after 30 years with PAP's conceived and run NTUC that changed his mind.

My personal feel is that you have gotten too close and can't see the forest for the trees. As I said, 90% of PAP MPs are decent people even now but have been cajoled, persuaded and finally sanitised to work in a system that perpetuates the power of one man and one family.

Tan Kin Lian worked in an organisation that provided him with a captive customer base from the very start. I would not rate him on the same level as someone who started a $2 company or ran a hawker stall and made a success of it.

I have no doubt that he is a good man at heart. We are not looking for good men and women at heart. We are looking for some who knew from the age of 21, that the ways of the PAP does no good to society and to Singaporeans. We are looking for smart people that are not pliable and are able to stand and fight the good fight.

Many of us refused to join the PAP, NTUC or anyone of its symbiotic bodies as a matter of principle. Here you are bringing a lifelong salaried man of the NTUC and presenting him to the nation. What happenned for 30 years in NTUC. Did you think they chained him to his desk.

Look at the arrogant Dr Teo Ho Ping. When Mas Selmat escaped, he was grilling Wong Kan Seng. Now look at him dodging and evading answers and claiming that investment strategies of Town Council are secret. Even has the audacity to tell us to be grateful to town councils. I call that a wayang and nobody does it better than PAP.

At the end of the day, it looks like PAP will get its one party country without much effort.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
My opinion is that as more political parties come forth, there will be more contests and this is likely to bring good to the opposition scene.

At the end of the day, if a GRC is breached, the psychological barrier is breached and it does not matter which opposition party had breached it.

Perhaps then the PAP may not take on the qualities of Dr Teo that we should be grateful to them. Obviously Dr Teo thinks he is entitled to your vote.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal,

I believe people are dynamic and not stagnant. I may be wrong but my judgment of the day is, this is the best bet at the moment. If I am wrong, so be it, I take responsibility for what I do.

Meng Seng

Bro, you don't have to take responsibility for it. You meant well and I know there is genuine desire by you to effect change. I rather vote you any day of the week.

When it comes to these things, I tend to take a step back and look at it twice.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro, you don't have to take responsibility for it. You meant well and I know there is genuine desire by you to effect change. I rather vote you any day of the week.

When it comes to these things, I tend to take a step back and look at it twice.

Yes, we'd rather for vote Goh Meng Seng anytime of the week, day or hour. Meng Seng has staked his reputation upon standing for the next election. If it happens to be not in your constituency, just too bad, you can't vote for him, but you can still support and help him.

papa san

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Singapore President's role is only ceremonial. He does not have any executive powers over the day to day running of the government or changing the lives of ordinary citizens in any major ways. Perhaps, his only major duty (if his duties can be prioritised at all) is to be the final guardian of Singapore's national reserves.

Therefore in the first instance whoever Singaporeans elect as their president, do not expect the incumbant to be able to change the way the government operates.

We've need to be reminded how our late President Ong Teng Cheong who tried in some ways to just query the government. And unlike later presidents who died and were given state ceremonial burials, President Ong Teng Cheong was not given any. So you form your own conclusion !

Euro2008

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have come to know Mr. Tan Kin Lian early this year after hearing about his effort to fight for the NTUC Income policy holders' interests and rights. I have emailed Kin Lian personally to ask him to consider to run for the next Presidential Elections. He is fully well qualified to become an independent Presidential candidate. We met up subsequently but Kin Lian has his reservations about running for Presidential Elections mainly of his wife's preference as well as whether he is not sure whether Singaporeans want a contest at all.

Recently, Kin Lian called me up to help him with his Mandarin speeches at Hong Lim Park, to help those structured products investors to seek fair compensation from these mis-sold products. I have agreed to help him and in the process, I get to know him better as a person.

Kin Lian is a person with great convictions and beliefs in Fairness as well as Social Justice. The reason why he has acted TWICE in a short span of time to stand up for aggrieved insurance policy holders as well as structured product investors is mainly because he believes that they are not been FAIRLY TREATED. In the course of meeting up with him, I do find that he has strong beliefs in good governance in which the government must take care of the people's interests first rather than their own. Most importantly, he has shown great patriotism and convictions for this country. He has even joked that if there are enough people who want him to stand as Presidential candidate and gets elected, he would only keep a small part of the hefty annual salary that the President drawn and donated the rest to the charities around Singapore. He believes that political office holders should not be there just for the money and keep comparing it with private top salaries. A political office is PUBLIC SERVICE, not a commercial post. A decent salary to keep them to live in comfort should be enough and it definitely need not be a million dollar annual pay. This is what Kin Lian believes.

Yes, a man at his age, status and well being, does not need to get involved at all in this political arena and fully understand his position. But from recent happenings, I believe many people's eyes have been opened to see the ugly side of what a lopsided political system could do to us. The government has unfairly sided with big financial institutions even without conducting any OPEN AND TRANSPARENT investigations into the Minibond saga.

When PAP Town Councils lost money in these structured products, tens of millions dollars are considered as "small" (maybe even peanuts) and yet PAP MP still insist that we must be thankful to them for making money in the past! I can understand that even big institutions could lose money in investment especially so when they are mis-sold (yes, as MM Lee says, they should have "walk in with their eyes open") but to present such aloof and arrogant attitude towards the whole matter is unbecoming of ELECTED political office holders! Maybe its because ministers have million or even multi-million dollar annual pay and thus, a couple of ten million dollars are just "peanuts" to them. But for most people who earn less than $50K a year, a couple of 10 million dollars IS A BIG DEAL to them! To add salt to injury and insults, they even claim that WE SHOULD BE GRATEFUL to them! Its not merely about the monetary lost but rather the total lost of humility and SENSE OF PUBLIC RESPONSIBILITY as PUBLIC SERVANTS.

I would say that they SHOULD BE GRATEFUL TO VOTERS whom voted them in to give them the opportunity to SERVE the people. It is their job to manage the funds well because they are elected and paid to do the job.

I feel very sad about such attitude from PAP MPs and ministers alike. They have totally forgotten that they are PUBLIC SERVANTS. And I believe that we should have more people with great status and beliefs in what PUBLIC SERVICE should be to be elected into parliament as an alternative MPs to PAP. I have spoken to Kin Lian about this and although he agrees with what I have said, he still feels that he does not want to get into parliamentary politics if there is no PUBLIC DEMAND for alternatives to PAP. I have suggested to him that I will start a Nation wide petition for a call and show of PUBLIC SUPPORT and DEMAND of him to stand up for our beloved country. If I can get a substantial amount of signatures in the thousands or even tens of thousands signature, I really hope that he could reconsider to lead a group of credible people whom he thinks could serve the country better as Alternative MPs to the ruling party.

And so, here I am, writing to all my beloved Singaporeans, to do your part in signing this petition here if you agree with what I say here and strongly believe in the need of having a credible team of alternative MPs led by Mr. Tan Kin Lian. Mr. Tan Kin Lian has been writing petitions and collecting signatures for all these while for many Singaporeans out there to fight for their rights and interests. It is time that we should do something in return, to petition him to lead a group of credible people to stand up for our rights and interests in parliament. All information collected will be kept in confidence. We need your action and support to create a better Singapore for our future generations.

Goh Meng Seng

CPT Goh, are you asking TKL to run for PRESIDENCY or PARLIAMENTARY ELECTIONS? Got difference leh.

Euro2008

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Singapore President's role is only ceremonial. He does not have any executive powers over the day to day running of the government or changing the lives of ordinary citizens in any major ways. Perhaps, his only major duty (if his duties can be prioritised at all) is to be the final guardian of Singapore's national reserves.

Therefore in the first instance whoever Singaporeans elect as their president, do not expect the incumbant to be able to change the way the government operates.

We've need to be reminded how our late President Ong Teng Cheong who tried in some ways to just query the government. And unlike later presidents who died and were given state ceremonial burials, President Ong Teng Cheong was not given any. So you form your own conclusion !

Yes, unless TKL promises to be as bold as the late OTC, i rather spoil my vote than to cast one for TKL.

Euro2008

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal,

Very good observations and believe me, I have considered all your points as well. The question now is, do we have a better alternative?

With the ongoing saga, I believe that Kin Lian is at the best standing of creating an alternative, though may not be VERY DIFFERENT from what we are having right now, but the punch through of a GRC itself, is a worthy cause to fight.

Meng Seng

Hmm, i'd love to see a GCT vs TKL election on 13 August 2011.

rainnix

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, unless TKL promises to be as bold as the late OTC, i rather spoil my vote than to cast one for TKL.

So you think prataman is better?

Also I had read scoobal's posting and I have a question to ask scoobal - so you think prataman is better?