• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Which is the most significant dialect group in china and is there a ranking?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I know there's probably no such thing or it would be too emotional a topic to actually give a proper ranking so perhaps you guys can just state your opinion which group do you think it is.

I would suppose perhaps some northern chinese group.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
All the dialect groups have joined to become one - Ah Tiongs.

Locally, they might use some other name.

Cheers!

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
hokkien? In terms of wealth...the Jews of China = Wenzhou ppl...i dunno if they speak any form of dialect....

Wenzhou has their own dialects. Many told me even across a small stream the people also cannot understand each other's dialect, could be exaggerated but the point they are making is in Wenzhou has different dialects.

Now become Putong Hua.
Cantonese more on GuangDong province only.

Cantonese not only in Guangdong but all over the world's major cities.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You know i realised i know so little about the many chinese dialects. It's the usual that's found in sg. What about wu dialects or languages? What about shanghainese? Which part of china are ppl considered northern chinese? They say north of the yellow river but i don't know where that is.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wenzhou has their own dialects. Many told me even across a small stream the people also cannot understand each other's dialect, could be exaggerated but the point they are making is in Wenzhou has different dialects.

Cantonese not only in Guangdong but all over the world's major cities.

thats true....in NY,Vancouver & London Chinatown...i only hear Cantonese...

Ditto for Brisbane Chinatown...

KL no nid say - Cantonese.

but not for BKK Yaowarat...i think its Toechew being dominant.

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore Chinatown was also Cantonese dominant. Hougang was Teocheow dominant. But all kana conquered by Hokkien especially power Hokkien vulgar language LOL

Maximilian Chua-Heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now become Putong Hua.
Cantonese more on GuangDong province only.

Putonghua is the lingua franca for those who can't speak their own dialects. If not, Ah Tiongs still prefer to communicate in their own local dialects. Those who frequent China should know, excluding Beijing of course.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Bangkok is mainly Teochew yes. However southern Thailand has many Hokkiens.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Good observation. All Chinatowns around the world are Cantonese speaking except Yaowarat, Bangkok Teochew speaking. Cantonese and Hokkien are the two premium dialects left because of HK and Taiwan. Both dialects have official written forms. All other dialects don't have official written forms, including Teochew.

Maximilian Chua-Heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good observation. All Chinatowns around the world are Cantonese speaking except Yaowarat, Bangkok Teochew speaking. Cantonese and Hokkien are the two premium dialects left because of HK and Taiwan. Both dialects have official written forms. All other dialects don't have official written forms, including Teochew.

Speak of the devil! Here comes our resident Sinologist cum linguist. LOL! :wink:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

got lah...in one of the thread today, i saw a brudder posted the written form of a obscure dialect practiced only by the females of a small enclave in some ulu part of China...LOL

Spiky

Alfrescian
Loyal
Northern Chinese girls are taller, fairer, better complexion and much prettier. This is mainly due to the diet. They eat wheat-based food e.g. noodles and dumplings
When I go KTV, I prefer girls from Beijing, Dongbei. Girls from the north speak much better mandarin. Melodious. Its their dialect, anyway.
Get a high just from listening to them talk.

Southern Chinese girls are usually shorter, darker and not so pretty. With the exception of girls from Chongqing. Chongqing girls are yummy.
Southern chinese eat mainly rice. Thus, smaller physique.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
got lah...in one of the thread today, i saw a brudder posted the written form of a obscure dialect practiced only by the females of a small enclave in some ulu part of China...LOL

You can buy a Cantonese magazine (written in Cantonese not Mandarin) in HK or a Hokkien magazine (written in Hokkien not Mandarin) in Taiwan. Which other dialect has that? There're official and recognized differences. For example, in Cantonese me is not 我 but 吾, yes is not 是 but 系, in Hokkien he is not 他 but 伊 etc.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jah_rastafar_I said:
You know i realised i know so little about the many chinese dialects. It's the usual that's found in sg. What about wu dialects or languages? What about shanghainese? Which part of china are ppl considered northern chinese? They say north of the yellow river but i don't know where that is.

The reference is the Chang Jiang River. So Shanghainese is considered Southern.
Many Northern dialects are local variations of Mandarin. As a result some 40 % of Chinese speaks a Mandarin dialect.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I know there's probably no such thing or it would be too emotional a topic to actually give a proper ranking so perhaps you guys can just state your opinion which group do you think it is.
I would suppose perhaps some northern chinese group.

today China don't know. in the old days of ROC in China, it was the Cantonese politicians and Shanghai + Shanxi bankers / industrialists who completely controlled politics and economy of China.