• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

You call this world class?

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SINGAPORE - Talk about a mother's worst nightmare.

Just hours after reaching home from hospital with her newborn, a 31-year-old woman realised the baby boy might not be hers.

The boy had two name tags on his ankles - one had her particulars and the other had another woman's.

Both mother and child were discharged from KK Women's and Children's Hospital (KKH) at 7pm on Sunday.

When she called KKH an hour after the discovery, she was assured by a staff member that she went home with the right infant.

Still not convinced, she and her husband took the child back to the hospital for a blood test - just to be sure.

The blood test result at about 9.30pm was just as she feared.

Her brother-in-law told The New Paper that his sister-in-law's blood type is A and his brother's B. "The blood test results showed the baby's blood type to be O. This confirmed that they had taken home the wrong child," he said.

The couple were given the option of either taking the baby home first and taking him back the next day while the hospital conducted its search to locate her son; or leave him at the hospital. "We didn't want anything else to go wrong, so we decided to let the baby remain at the hospital," the brother-in-law said.

He added it was already 1am by the time they settled the child and the family left the hospital. "My sister-in-law was upset. It was understandable. Which mother wouldn't be," he said.

They also made a police report, "just in case we wanted to take out a civil suit later", he said.

The mother and her family were at the police station when they received a call from KKH to return. "They said they had contacted the other family and they were making their way down to the hospital with the baby. That was when we rushed back there," her brother-in-law said.

The family that took her son home on Sunday morning had removed the tags from his ankles without checking the name.

Both mothers had already breastfed the infants before the mistake was caught.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If the first couple had not done the blood test or if the blood test turned out differently.....no one would be the wiser.....scary thought.
Anyone got recent born in kk?

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
So many were born there in the 70s, 80s and 90s. I wonder how many were wrongly taken? Maybe some of us could be the child of a rich old couple?

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If the first couple had not done the blood test or if the blood test turned out differently.....no one would be the wiser.....scary thought.

hi there

1. i can bet on it.
2. this is definitely the work of some ft that just cannot read hoh:mad:
3. this is simply no honest or foolish mistake.
4. but totally ignore standard operating procedures!
5. heads got to roll man!:rolleyes::(:o:mad:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
hi there

1. i can bet on it.
2. this is definitely the work of some ft that just cannot read hoh:mad:
3. this is simply no honest or foolish mistake.
4. but totally ignore standard operating procedures!
5. heads got to roll man!:rolleyes::(:o:mad:

I don't think any heads will roll given that most will just cover up

I had needles stuck in me for a health screening at the famous Asia MXXXX in Orchard Road. The pinoy nurse took 5 attempts to find my vein and all this time, she was doing a horizontal sweep with the needle stuck in me as if searching for mines. Then she rudely commented why i looked so pale. A local nurse came by and found the vein in 1 attempt. Then Dr insisted on doing lots of tests, etc when he found i was fully covered by my company.

Another time, my firstborn in GlenXXXXX, the nurse from China checked and asked us to go back even though we were sure the water broke but she insisted water has not broke and even scolded us for being worked up for nothing.

Luckily i already called Dr and he was reaching already. Feeling bad that he may have woke up so early and came for nothing, decided not to go back and let him check on her anyway. When he checked, he was livid and very angrily scolded the nurse repeatedly that water was not only broken but dried up completely. He even asked her loudly where she was trained.

Both cases, no one in the administration did anything, all nurses involved were FTs. Sooner or later, lives will be lost because of inadequate training, i do not blame the FTs, i blame the people who put them there without going through due dilligence or making
sure they are properly trained.

First world pricing, third world nursing? Well done.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So many were born there in the 70s, 80s and 90s. I wonder how many were wrongly taken? Maybe some of us could be the child of a rich old couple?

I was destined to be the PM of SIngapore...I must go check my "tek ka" records...hmmmm no wonder during my mother time, there is always complains that "my son or daughter don't look or behave like me"..may have taken the wrong child home from "tek ka"...

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't think any heads will roll given that most will just cover up

I had needles stuck in me for a health screening at the famous Asia MXXXX in Orchard Road. The pinoy nurse took 5 attempts to find my vein and all this time, she was doing a horizontal sweep with the needle stuck in me as if searching for mines. Then she rudely commented why i looked so pale. A local nurse came by and found the vein in 1 attempt. Then Dr insisted on doing lots of tests, etc when he found i was fully covered by my company.

Another time, my firstborn in GlenXXXXX, the nurse from China checked and asked us to go back even though we were sure the water broke but she insisted water has not broke and even scolded us for being worked up for nothing.

Luckily i already called Dr and he was reaching already. Feeling bad that he may have woke up so early and came for nothing, decided not to go back and let him check on her anyway. When he checked, he was livid and very angrily scolded the nurse repeatedly that water was not only broken but dried up completely. He even asked her loudly where she was trained.

Both cases, no one in the administration did anything, all nurses involved were FTs. Sooner or later, lives will be lost because of inadequate training, i do not blame the FTs, i blame the people who put them there without going through due dilligence or making
sure they are properly trained.

First world pricing, third world nursing? Well done.

Your delivery nurse was trained in PRC & got her further education in SINgapore...the second improved the first, so go figure! ha ha ha

I had a rather unusual encounter with a Filipino nurse at A&E, who too blood samples from me in a rather unorthodox way, she jabbed my finger tip & drew blood, instead of the vein like normal...I check around, this is not wrong, but not practiced here...what do you think??

Sunstreaker

Alfrescian
Loyal
curious. the babies were switched at the start or midway through the woman stay at the hospital. did the woman see her child at the hospital and then carry another child home later...

Balancemind

Alfrescian
Loyal

What has happen is scary. You better have DNA test on all your children now if they have been delivered at KK. Who knows your worst fear may just surface it's head for if it can happen now there is the possibility that it can also happen in the past. :smile:

essen

Alfrescian
Loyal
this little red dot is getting more and more world class in every aspect of our lives, from transport, to makan, and now to medical
sibeh shake head :mad:

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
What has happen is scary. You better have DNA test on all your children now if they have been delivered at KK. Who knows your worst fear may just surface it's head for if it can happen now there is the possibility that it can also happen in the past. :smile:

Ya, my son is more handsome then me and my daughter is prettier then my wife, but I have no complains.

Only if...

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

i believe its only in the recent years with FTs coming in.......and all standards all dropped.......mixed up semen, mixed up babies, soon mixed up medicine and kill some patients

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't think any heads will roll given that most will just cover up. First world pricing, third world nursing? Well done.

More incentive to cover up or play down the error given the fact that we are aiming to become THE medical hub in this region.

Lee5604

Alfrescian
Loyal
More incentive to cover up or play down the error given the fact that we are aiming to become THE medical hub in this region.

Spot on bro GD. The SMC is surely playing down the case of the China doctor who had been struck off the Medical Boards of 5 states in the USA and HUH employed him as Head of Department. The SMC was supposed to investigate the complaint, but till now there is still no news.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Her brother-in-law told The New Paper that his sister-in-law's blood type is A and his brother's B. "The blood test results showed the baby's blood type to be O. This confirmed that they had taken home the wrong child," he said.

for the uninitiated, the blood test should rightfully be a micro satellite blood test and not a blood group type test.
even if the parents are of A & B type blood groups, it is still possible to bear a child with group O blood type.

letting Ia to represent blood group A, Ib to represent blood group B, Io to represent blood group O.
a person with blood group O is a IoIo,
a person with blood group AB is IaIb,
a person with blood group A is IaIa OR IaIo,
a person with blood group B is IbIb OR IbIo.

with the use of a punnet square, we can still obtain a IoIo from a IaIo x IbIo pair. of course other possibilities includes IaIo, IbIo and IaIb from this IaIo x IbIo pair.
a little light shed on blood test, hopefully couples can now can have a better understanding of blood types.