• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WP's Poh Eng Huat vs PAP's Desmond Choo!

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree re: your comment pertaining to be accountable and apologize if one has committed an error or irresponsible act. Thereafter, it is up to God (if one believes in God), and others to forgive and forget.

Like me, Eng Huat has worked in NTUC before, not on the insurance or supermarket side but on the business enterprise side. His qualification and experience are impeccable and even untouchable by PAP. He has been in Hougang Constituency Committee for years. Shin Leong was given the Hougang candidacy 2011 over him because Shin Leong has been there even longer and Eng Huat was posted to stand in East Coast GRC with Eric, Glenda etc. I was helping them until WP confirmed to contesting M-K GRC and I of course I wanted to be transferred to help out WP in my home GRC. You're right, every picture tells a story and every man has a dick looking for a pussy. In the case of Shin Leong, he has done nothing wrong politically or in line of duty until he ran away without explanation or accounting, even a confession and apology would have done himself, the party and all concerned a great favor, but he chose not to. That was the disappointment.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fantastic memory,
and a good summary for the younger folks.
That is the unfairness of GRC, and the continuing re-drawing of electoral boundaries.

Just a little late night history storytelling. All Anson, Potong Pasir and Hougang takeovers by opposition happened by accident of PAP's own doing. Chiam See Tong started with contesting Cairnhill and it was gerrymandered unrecognizably until CST didn't really know how to map out his walkabouts. Then came the PP redevelopment with a lot of discontent. CST spotted the opportunity and went in. He failed at first try against Howe Yoon Chong but succeeded at second try against Mah Bow Tan, thanks to the big loud mouth of Lee Kuan Yew insulting everybody without straight A's on O and A Level certs and a prestigious degree.

CST kept PP until last year, as we all know. That's a remarkable 27 years, longer than a quarter of a century, even through internal party coup and change of party.

Anson was also an accidental windfall. Pres. Benjamin Sheares passed away and a new pres. was required. Devan Nair was Anson incumbent with above 80% majority. He was selected to be the new pres. as Anson was considered infallible at that kind of margin, GCT (PAP campaign manager then) assured LKY. However, they all lost touch with the grounds as those were years when HDB stepped up converting rental flats to sale flats increasing the burdens of the lower incomes already struggling with how the hell to increase incomes to meet the upped payments from rents to mortgages. JBJ promptly pointed that out and they promptly showed JBJ their thumbs up and LKY their middle fingers. Now, how's that for those who're accusing Sinkies of being politically apathetic or cowards?

After LKY strong-armed the disqualification of JBJ from Parliament, LTK was the Asst. Sec-Gen. assigned with the task of winning back Anson for WP. He looked even an stronger opponent than JBJ for he's younger and he's Chinese. LKY saw no way out and gerrymandered Anson into Tiong Bahru GRC. LTK still constested (Gopalan Nair was in that team). They scored above 40% but not above 50. Still too close for comfort, in the next GE, LKY redrew the whole Tiong Bahru GRC (Anson inclusive) into his own Tanjong Pagar GRC. What the shit? LTK being Teochew has friends in Hougang who recommended that he might as well forget it and contest solo Hougang SMC. LTK went a round around there with them and the reception was good. He continued to work on it and the rest is history.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Teochew no longer a factor as now only oldies speak teochews. I not teochews but I live the area since the 70s. The teochews are hard core wp supporters so speak martian also cross the hammer on the ballot paper.