• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Worse Olympic closing ceremony ever following their worse opening ever

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
You know this is not true, right? Do you mean something else, like ...

It's un-PAP to show sympathy to the weak :rolleyes:

Or this ...

It's un-Cruxx to show sympathy to the weak :rolleyes:

What have you done for the weak and vulnerable then? How much of Sinkieland's government budget is committed to foreign aid? Why isn't Sinkieland a signatory of the "United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees" when even a poor country like Cambodia can accede to the treaty? Why can't the infirm in Singapore retire with dignity? It is un-Singaporean to show sympathy to the weak:rolleyes:

singapore-poor-woman.jpg

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees" ???
only stupid nations in the world sign that.

Most refugees are doing it for money.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Designers of London Olympic cauldron deny copying claims
New York practice Atopia claims cauldron design is strikingly similar to an idea it presented to Locog board in early 2008

Thomas-Heatherwicks-Olymp-010.jpg

The designers of the London Olympic cauldron have made strident denials of the suggestion that their scheme was inspired by an earlier project by a different practice.

"It's absolute rubbish, complete and utter spurious nonsense," said Thomas Heatherwick, responding to the claim that designs by New York practice Atopia for a pavilion, commissioned by Locog in 2007-8, bore striking similarities.

"To design the cauldron was an opportunity of a lifetime. Someone like me would never fritter away that chance by not using it for my passion – which is to develop new ideas. The idea that your commissioner tells you what to do would have the immediate opposite effect."

He said the brief given by Locog was to "design a cauldron that would sit on the roof of the Olympic stadium and have no moving parts." Instead, his studio came up with a design assembled from a series of copper petals, fixed to long stems to form a flower-like structure on the floor of the arena.

But it is claimed both the narrative sequence and sculptural form is like Atopia's idea for a One Planet Pavilion, presented to the Locog board in early 2008. Heatherwick remains adamant that the cauldron design is his alone, citing a project he did as a student in 1993 for a series of awards that came together to form one circular chalice.

"If there's any possible precedent, it's in my own work. It's wonderful that the success of the cauldron has captured people's imagination … But it sounds like it's captured some people's imagination a bit too much."

Danny Boyle, artistic director of the opening ceremony, said: "Before Tuesday, neither of us had seen, heard of or knew about the existence of the illustrations. Thomas and I evolved the idea for the cauldron over many months of discussions. I categorically deny that Locog briefed us to work with, develop or implement any pre-existing idea that had been presented to them. This is total nonsense and must not be allowed to spoil our appreciation of Thomas's magnificent work."

Martin Green, former head of ceremonies at Locog, who briefed Boyle and Heatherwick, also denied any knowledge of Atopia's work. "I'd never even heard of them," he said. "Locog was an organization of 7,000 people, and we were in a completely separate department. I can categorically say that we did not and never would have used somebody else's work to influence the design of the cauldron. The idea came out of discussions between Danny Boyle, Thomas Heatherwick and myself. It was a completely natural and organic process."

But Atopia maintains that the cauldron is similar to its own earlier design. "This is outrageous," said practice co-director Jane Harrison. "Everyone in the design industry knows how easily ideas can be shared in these big organisations. The problem goes far beyond this case alone."

Recounting Atopia's involvement, Harrison claimed the agency's pitch to Locog took the form of a script, detailing exactly how the "umbrella" elements would come together to form a canopy in the stadium and be distributed back to the competing countries after the Games. She said the text was identical to the captions that appear on their sketchbook document, published by the Guardian.

"It's a very visual piece of material," said Harrison. "We held our sketches back because we wanted to safeguard our intellectual property. But that obviously didn't help."

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Olympic cauldron designs were 'stolen', claims US design firm
An American design firm has alleged that Thomas Heatherwick's flaming Olympic cauldron is a copy of their design.

A New York studio has claimed the Olympic cauldron with its dandelion petals was based on its design.
Atopia said it showed its design to the London Olympic committee in 2007, after Locog approached it to come up with ideas for a sustainable structure.
The company, whose motto is "anticipate the future", said it had heard nothing back from the committee and was shocked to see Thomas Heatherwick’s cauldron last July.
Jane Harrison, the practice's co director, told The Guardian: “We were absolutely furious. It was a crushing disappointment.
“We were led to believe it was a confidential presentation to the high-level board, so it was even more shocking to see the ideas had been taken forward by others without us. We are a small office, so we can't afford to launch legal action.

The design studio’s pitch was a structure of petals on tall stems which would travel from all of the participating countries to then be assembled into a flower-like canopy.
Their structure was designed to collect rainwater and generate power from solar cells rather than burning a constant supply of natural gas like Mr Heatherwick’s design, but the two are aesthetically similar.
Both structures used the narrative sequence of the 205 nations coming together, with the metal parts being returned to the competing countries after the Olympics.
Atopia is only now free to make its claims since a restrictive confidentially agreement was lifted in January.
The 2007 restrictive non-disclosure agreement prevented all companies from promoting any work related to the Olympics but was lifted after campaigning and a government payment of £2m to the British Olympic Association.
Locog’s former design principle Kevin Owens said strands of Atopia’s work may have become part of the eventual product purely by staying in the minds of committee members.
Mr Heatherwick denied the claims and said: "The ludicrous accusation that LOCOG briefed us to work with, develop or implement a pre-existing idea and that we acted in accordance with this briefing is completely and entirely untrue.
"Before this week, I – and the entire team I was working with – knew absolutely nothing about this proposal, or the ideas it is claimed it contained.
"Danny and I evolved the idea for the cauldron over many months, in iterative rounds of discussions and I am appalled at the suggestion that either of us would let ourselves be influenced by any previous work. We were most definitely not steered by LOCOG towards this or any other idea. Any suggestion to the contrary is an affront to our creative integrity.”
Danny Boyle added: "As Artistic Director of the London 2012 Olympic Ceremony, I asked Thomas Heatherwick to take on the design of the Olympic Cauldron because of the integrity and originality of his ideas.
"I also absolutely and categorically reject any suggestion, whatever its motive, that Thomas or I were influenced by anything other than our obligation to create a ceremonial work of art that celebrated British originality, creativity and engineering.
"This is total nonsense and must not be allowed to spoil our appreciation of Thomas's magnificent work."
London 2012's former Head of Ceremonies said: “Neither these nor any other images or presentations played any part in the briefing I gave to Danny Boyle and Thomas Heatherwick at the beginning of the process to create the Olympic and Paralympic Cauldron. The design for the cauldron came about solely from the creative conversations between Danny, Thomas and myself.”

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
London 2012 cauldron to go on display at Museum of London
6/13/2013

The Museum of London today announced that it will display a selection of components and mechanisms from the cauldron created by Thomas Heatherwick for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games for the first time since the Games closed. The display will open in autumn 2013. The cauldron, which won South Bank Sky Arts award for the best British work of visual art in 2012 and was shortlisted for the Design Museum’s 2013 Designs of the Year award for product design, will be formally acquired into the museum’s collection. It will join other London 2012 objects such as Tom Daley’s trunks, the yellow jersey worn by Bradley Wiggins in the Opening Ceremony and a 2012 Olympic torch. All of which are currently on show until 31 October 2013 at the museum in an exhibition called ‘Opening the Olympics’. Sharon Ament, Director of the Museum of London, said: “Thomas Heatherwick’s Olympic cauldon is an icon of the London 2012 Olympic Games. It is an incredible feat of design and engineering, as well as being both beautiful and awe-inspiring. For me, the cauldon evokes many memories from last summer when all eyes were on London. My thanks go to Thomas Heatherwick and his team for working with us on this thrilling new display.” Thomas Heatherwick, designer of the cauldron, said: “It was a privilege to be able to play a part in London’s phenomenal 2012 Games. An Olympic Games is so special for the way in which more than two hundred participating countries stop their usual squabbling with one another to come together for two weeks and compete in a festival of sport and physical achievement. We felt that there was an opportunity for London's cauldron to reflect this precious piece of international togetherness and to symbolise the best of the collaborative human spirit. We are honoured for our design model and test pieces of the cauldron to become part of the Museum of London’s collection of objects which represent this city’s rich culture and history. ” The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson said: “For its first showing since the Games Heatherwick's gorgeous Olympic cauldron could not be in better company. It will become part of the Museum of London's superb collection of objects and artefacts covering 400,000 years of our city's history, evoking the optimistic spirit of that thrilling summer in the greatest city on earth.” Hugh Robertson, Minister for Sport, said: “The Opening Ceremony for London 2012 showed the very best of Britain to the world and culminated in the unveiling of Thomas Heatherwick’s unique Olympic cauldron representing the 204 competing nations coming together. The Government and the Mayor have worked together to ensure that the Olympic cauldron will now form the centre piece of a Museum of London display so that people have a permanent reminder of the iconic moments of last summer.” The Olympic cauldon display is supported by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Today is the anniversary of the worse olympic opening performance in the history of olympic. all the way back from the greeks.

Of course the poms call it the best olypic opening ever, for that, i vomit everytime i hear them say it, even if there is nothing left in the stomach.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sainsbury's Anniversary Games
The world's best athletes are back in London for the first time since the Olympic Games and if the action is anywhere near the quality of last summer then we're in for a treat.
Stadium-627x353.jpg

article-2379111-1B02F9F0000005DC-330_634x509.jpg