• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Wong Kan Seng - the story

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good read, but kind of confusing.

Maybe a family-tree chart will be very help-FUL showing all the relationships hanging off a trunk :smile:.

@rmadill0

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pang Kin Keong is indeed Perm Sec of MOL. It is Chiang who was previously Dir ISD. He created it the Pop Sec from scratch.

You referring to Chiang Chie Foo? PS of (PMO) cum Defense?

Your are damn good. I only know Pang Kin Keong because of MSK but you know who the past directors are. Can reveal who is the current one on the hot seat? :smile:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Besides what's above ground in the tree branches, we should also see the network of weeds underground.

Good read, but kind of confusing.

Maybe a family-tree chart will be very help-FUL showing all the relationships hanging off a trunk :smile:.

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here is the low down.

2) Ministry of Home Affairs has been in the hands of the family from the day one as soon as PAP got into power except for 6 years when Jayakumar ran it. Chua Sian Chin is related to the family by marriage. Chua is best remembered as the silent minister in Parliament and the man who kept the Cold Store Gang under Cold Store.

In terms of political capital and in priority, here is the list

1) National Security Coordination Secretariat - PMO
includes ISD, MSD, SID and all other minor intelligence support functions
2) National Population Secretariat - PMO
3) People Association
4) PAP
5) Singapore Press Holdings

Get the picture! Welcome to the real world of politics.

If I am not mistaken, Wong Lin Ken an ex university don ( who apparently took his own life ) also at one time Minister of Home Affairs. Or was it Foreign Affairs?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chiang Chie Foo fallen behind Peter Ong, now Head Civil Service. When Chiang was Dir ISD, Peter Ong was his Dy Director who managed 3 superscale promotions in 2 yrs - double promotion in 1 yr. Chiang in GCT's camp. Peter belongs to current PM. Same for Pang.

mei mei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are they going to release Mas Selamat anytime soon?

Got pictures of how they secure Mas Selamat this time round?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wong Lin Ken(head of History Dept) was indeed for a short while Home Affairs Minister. Interestingly, he was Chua Sian Chin's brother in law.

If I am not mistaken, Wong Lin Ken an ex university don ( who apparently took his own life ) also at one time Minister of Home Affairs. Or was it Foreign Affairs?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Peter Ong stepped in for a year to fill a void because someone else was screwing his colleague. Peter is an Admin guy and the brother of former high profile SPH journalist Catherine Ong who spent 2 years with DBS as head of PR and Comms while her brother was on DBS board. She left quietly and now runs her own PR firm.

Pang is actually GCT's man as he was his PPS for the last 3 years of his term as PM. Peter is LHL's blue eyed boy from MTI days. Real high flyer.

When you appoint someone to become Head of Singapore's Civil Service at the age of 49, there is something intrinsically wrong with the system. The term wise men refers to folks who with age and experience bring forth values and insights that are well rounded, better shaped and well matured. These are men and women who have seen history pass by, learnt its lessons, gleaned the good parts and discarded the bad.

When older and middle aged Singaporeans see the names of Pillay, Sim, Eddie ,George, Andrew, Ngiam, Ben, Herman, they will immediately know what hard and tangible results they delivered. I have no clue what Peter delivered when he was appointed on 1 Sept at the age of 49. Somehow I get the feeling that most people who are his colleagues have no clue either.

I have no qualms if someone becomes a Prime Minister of a country at the age of 25. If that occurred, it means that he was elected and voters have seen in him the ability to get things done or know that he is a visionary. It also indicates that he is certainly first amongst equals in his political party and thus his colleagues' endorsement of him.

When a layman reads Peter Ong's appointment press release, they have no clue what he actually achieved. All it has are the various posts that he has held. No layman knows if he makes the best latte in the civil service or if he has a knack for changing tyres. Surely all Singaporean should be accorded the courtesy of knowing what this man did to become the Head of the Civil Service.

The absolute arrogance of this government.

Peter Ong appointed HCS

Mr Peter Ong will be appointed as Head of Civil Service, PS (Special Duties) in the PMO and PS (National Security and Intelligence Co-ordination), in addition to his current appointment as PS(Finance), on 1 September 2010.

Mr Peter Ong, 49, graduated with a Bachelor of Economics (Honours) degree from the University of Adelaide on a Colombo Plan Scholarship. He also holds a Master in Business Administration degree from Stanford University.

Mr Ong spent the early part of his career in the Administrative Service in the Ministry of Communications and Information and the Ministry of Trade and Industry. In 1993, on his return from postgraduate studies, he was appointed Deputy Dean of the Civil Service College. He held this position till 1995 when he was posted to the Ministry of Home Affairs. In 1996, Mr Ong was appointed DS (Trade and Industry). He was seconded to Temasek Holdings as its Executive Vice-President from 1998 to 2000.

Mr Ong was appointed Second PS (Defence) in 2001. In July 2002, he became PS (Transport) before becoming PS (Trade and Industry) in 2005. In 2008, he was appointed concurrently as Second PS (Finance). In October 2009, Mr Ong was appointed PS (Finance).

Chiang Chie Foo fallen behind Peter Ong, now Head Civil Service. When Chiang was Dir ISD, Peter Ong was his Dy Director who managed 3 superscale promotions in 2 yrs - double promotion in 1 yr. Chiang in GCT's camp. Peter belongs to current PM. Same for Pang.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can only see that he has been a job hopper. Or the govt didnt really know what to do with the bugger.

We now have a proverbial rolling stone....

When a layman reads Peter Ong's appointment press release, they have no clue what he actually achieved. All it has are the various posts that he has held. No layman knows if he makes the best latte in the civil service or if he has a knack for changing tyres. Surely all Singaporean should be accorded the courtesy of knowing what this man did to become the Head of the Civil Service.

The absolute arrogance of this government.

Peter Ong appointed HCS

Mr Peter Ong will be appointed as Head of Civil Service, PS (Special Duties) in the PMO and PS (National Security and Intelligence Co-ordination), in addition to his current appointment as PS(Finance), on 1 September 2010.

Mr Peter Ong, 49, graduated with a Bachelor of Economics (Honours) degree from the University of Adelaide on a Colombo Plan Scholarship. He also holds a Master in Business Administration degree from Stanford University.

Mr Ong spent the early part of his career in the Administrative Service in the Ministry of Communications and Information and the Ministry of Trade and Industry. In 1993, on his return from postgraduate studies, he was appointed Deputy Dean of the Civil Service College. He held this position till 1995 when he was posted to the Ministry of Home Affairs. In 1996, Mr Ong was appointed DS (Trade and Industry). He was seconded to Temasek Holdings as its Executive Vice-President from 1998 to 2000.

Mr Ong was appointed Second PS (Defence) in 2001. In July 2002, he became PS (Transport) before becoming PS (Trade and Industry) in 2005. In 2008, he was appointed concurrently as Second PS (Finance). In October 2009, Mr Ong was appointed PS (Finance).

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
No. If you study the postings that he had been given. He had been earmarked to become Head of Civil Service as early as 1993 after his studies. He doesn't hold any post longer than 4 years so that he could 'travel' thru all the ministry to clock in mileage for his destined position.

I can only see that he has been a job hopper. Or the govt didnt really know what to do with the bugger.

We now have a proverbial rolling stone....

byleftcan

Alfrescian
Loyal
No. If you study the postings that he had been given. He had been earmarked to become Head of Civil Service as early as 1993 after his studies. He doesn't hold any post longer than 4 years so that he could 'travel' thru all the ministry to clock in mileage for his destined position.

Typical of these scholars and the scholar system. Based on academic qualifications only and their future is set.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In addition to LHL's backing, Peter Ong got close to an ex-Head of Civil Service Lim Siong Guan through the church. LSG was MM's PPS when MM was PM. He remains one of those fully trusted by MM.

Rumoured to be even more influential than some ministers. Check his current status and you will agree with me. Even some PSs shit bricks when dealing with LSG when he was Head Civil Service.

byleftcan

Alfrescian
Loyal
In addition to LHL's backing, Peter Ong got close to an ex-Head of Civil Service Lim Siong Guan through the church. LSG was MM's PPS when MM was PM. He remains one of those fully trusted by MM.

Rumoured to be even more influential than some ministers. Check his current status and you will agree with me. Even some PSs shit bricks when dealing with LSG when he was Head Civil Service.

Which church is that? Other old boys Christian networking in that church also?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Barker Road and Wesley Methodist Church. Quite a number of high level civil servants there.

No secrets here. It's a well known FACT that many ministers and super high civil servants are busy on Sundays attending church service. There are also some who choose the church to network, unfortunately.

Lim Siong Guan, a President's scholar, is a superb chap. Super humble. Same thing can be said of his wife. His son is highly intelligent. Whatever we say about MM, he chose the right man in LSG. 100% righteous and definitely not only a Christian on Sundays. He practices what he preaches.

Sangrawi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree about Lim Siong Guan...

I go to same church. I have seen his rearranging Bibles after service, assisting in Holy Communion and pteaching at service... Total no airs, unlike some other senior civil servants

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal

I go to same church. I have seen his rearranging Bibles after service, assisting in Holy Communion and pteaching at service... Total no airs, unlike some other senior civil servants

Surely you guys remember this scene from the movie ... the Godfather, head bow, eyes closed was praying in church and the next moment he walked to the phone and ordered the killing...

How and what a man behaves in church does not tell you anything about the person.

Ever talked to one old retired civil servant about him and LSG seem to be an extremely arrogant guy. He may be biased, I don't know...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree on LSG. Very confident, powerful and feared.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The people who have made it usually behave in a humble manner. They are low profile. Even if high profile chaps, they try their best to remain invisible. Billionaire Peter Lim for example.

It is almost always those wannabes who will try their best to be irritating and desperately seeking attention. We have an army of such people in the Civil Service.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How and what a man behaves in church does not tell you anything about the person.

Ever talked to one old retired civil servant about him and LSG seem to be an extremely arrogant guy. He may be biased, I don't know...

I am acquainted with many church goers who behave differently from mondays to saturdays. They reserve their best behavior for Sundays.

If I have only $1 left, I will place a 99cents bet, win 8 also ok, that LSG is no arrogant guy nor an actor. His behavior, being an elder of the church, is scrutinized by his church members, members of the methodist community and other denominations 24/7.

The old retired civil servant you referred to might have approached LSG for a silly favour. And when request was turned down, the accusation of arrogance. I have yet to hear anything negative about LSG.

The other nice chap in LSG's church is Tan Gee Paw, ex-PS ENV, now PUB boss. For those who don't know him, Tan appears like a clerical officer!

Both are no glory seekers. They lead by example.