• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Will the rallies be a big influence on voters?

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
Politicians besides the substance of their ideas also require charisma and the gravitas to influence people to their way, which is very difficult actually.

on nom day, from the way DL speak, we kind of know he blur sotong, out of his depth.
while KJ seemed to have done a good job and a pretty good performance from LLL also.

But I tink rallies will give us another good idea abt the candidates.

But will it play an big role in influencing voters choice?
I dont think so,

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Based on past rallies in past GEs, however big is the rally has no impact on the results of the election.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
The size of the rally crowd is critical for RP and SDA.

It is life or death for RP and SDA to have decent rally crowds.

If the rallies are poorly attended, it will further shift sentiment against them.

Cruel but effective tactic for WP would be to take pictures and videos of poorly attended rallies and post them all over the internet. This will further encourage voters who want a PAP alternative to vote for WP.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
KJ planning to do a policy lecture at his rally.
----

RP candidate will address local and national issues at rally

http://www.straitstimes.com/breakin...ress-local-and-national-issues-rally-20130118

Punggol East's Reform Party candidate Kenneth Jeyaretnam said he will address not only local issues but national issues as well in his upcoming rally, which could take place this weekend.

Mr Jeyaretnam said he will talk about "not just local issues, but the big national issues like immigration, lack of savings, CPF, the high property prices, high cost of living, foreign workers", he told The Straits Times after greeting residents at the Kangkar, Bakau and Rumbia LRT stations on Friday morning.

His remarks come as the different parties have set out to frame the focus of their different campaigns. In recent days, the Workers' Party said the by-election would be a barometer of the Government and their own party's performance since the general election in 2011. Meanwhile, the People's Action Party has been placing emphasis on local issues.

He said: "There are so many issues...And the latest economic figures are pretty bad. We are heading into a downturn." He will unveil policies to address these concerns. "We have a whole host of policies to make Singaporeans' lives better. And foremost is to give them a share in the national wealth," he said.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
The size of the rally crowd is critical for RP and SDA.

It is life or death for RP and SDA to have decent rally crowds.

If the rallies are poorly attended, it will further shift sentiment against them.

Cruel but effective tactic for WP would be to take pictures and videos of poorly attended rallies and post them all over the internet. This will further encourage voters who want a PAP alternative to vote for WP.

TKL had a few hundred people in his rally crowd during the presidential election. GMS spoke at his rally. hahaha

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Best pic of Punggol East BE so far !

6a00d83451b52369e2017c35e5a2fd970b-550wi

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

hahaha.....

anyway, rallies, especially WP, provide the ppl an avenue to display their anger against the pap. while it good the die hard wp supporters attending every rallies but to leave some place for the actual residents of PE so that they know the WP messege too. The two rally venue in PE a bit ulu, carpark just enough for residents at blk 128C and blk 183C. both fields are just by the residents for kite flying and with the amount of rain everyday, the field shd be good enough to plow. not advisable to drive there and the bus service there also woeful and u guys know how good the LRT is. pap must be happy with the rally venue provide the mata.

to take bus to rally sites, please take bus service 50,62 & 85 and drop at blk 160 and walk to blk 183C. for rally site blk 128C, bus service 3,62,83 & 569 drop at the LRT PE stop 3 coral edge. i think i will walk along the punggol jogging & cycling trail with a foldable chair to reach both sites.

6000kmApart

Alfrescian
Loyal

Don't play play, aunties and uncles may have the last laugh.

PAP poorly attended rallies bear no consequence to their results.

gotta ask, how many people at Punggol East rallies are going to be local voters?

You laughed at aunties uncles, but the most fervent opposition supporters are going to be from Hougang, Aljunied, Sembawang, Marine Parade?

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most voters have already made up their minds before rallying begins. Rallies don't really have much of an effect on the voters for the current election. However, rallies are still very important, as they have a significant effect on the next election cycle. Rallies are what draw people to volunteer and join the party, and projects the image of the party. All of which have important longterm effects.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha...i have not attended a papee rally before.
maybe i should attend 1 tonite to see if there is really free food and drink.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
size of rallies are usually an indication of people support. pap rallies no people. pap simply ferry a few hundred people to their rallies for appearance's sake. pap won every general election. opposition rallies a lot of people but few people voted for them. the 60% pap voters are simply not interested to see pap rallies but very happy to vote for the pap. something is wrong... :confused:

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
size of rallies are usually an indication of people support. pap rallies no people. pap simply ferry a few hundred people to their rallies for appearance's sake. pap won every general election. opposition rallies a lot of people but few people voted for them. the 60% pap voters are simply not interested to see pap rallies but very happy to vote for the pap. something is wrong... :confused:

hahaha. TJS, ex-SDP member and darling of liberals, had maybe tens of thousands of people at his PE rally but got 25% of the vote.
TT had a few hundred people at his lunchtime Boat Quay rally and got 35.2%.
TKL also had a few hundred people at his rally and got 4.91%
Completely fair, what! :biggrin:

Leica

the 60% pap voters are simply not interested to see pap rallies but very happy to vote for the pap. something is wrong... :confused:

You are right. The rallies are not indication of a popular support. Some people from some other places also flock into the rallies as an anti-PAP solidarity turnouts.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then how come got political party give free food, drinks, day tour and transport to old folks and RC people to attract them to attend the rally:confused:

MIW must take your advise and stop wasting money and resources for unproductive endeavors.:(

Politicians besides the substance of their ideas also require charisma and the gravitas to influence people to their way, which is very difficult actually.

on nom day, from the way DL speak, we kind of know he blur sotong, out of his depth.
while KJ seemed to have done a good job and a pretty good performance from LLL also.

But I tink rallies will give us another good idea abt the candidates.

But will it play an big role in influencing voters choice?
I dont think so,

Last edited:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
See the field interview of the crowd at the last GE, available at youtube, you can know leow.:rolleyes:..... Tanjong Pagar CC, I think:o

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal

Food, drinks and transport only given to the "trusted" RC members who attend the other free or heavily subsided tours. Instead of heading Kukup to eat seafood, the destination during GE/BE is to Rally. These retirees with all the time in the world will support as a form of paying back for the other trips. N