• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why Singaporean Needs A Western Name?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't think it because of a matter of convenience why the Chinese are taking English names. Have you tried calling them by their Chinese names before and seen the reaction? I have and most often that Chinese guy or gal is pissed. Most of them upon meeting would introduce themselves as Kelvin Teo or Justin Wong or Cheryl Tan. When I asked them what their Chinese name was, would they mind if I addressed them by their given Chinese name; all of them would be visibly agitated. Some tell me outright not to make fun of them.

Why is that?

I think that's a privacy concern, not a matter of lack of pride. Someone introduced to you as John Tan for example, asking for his Chinese name is akin to asking for his full name, sounding interrogative and intrusively, which of course leads to defensive behaviour, mistaken as agitation.

Dmode101

Alfrescian
Loyal
christian naming are just random. they dont even read their bibles properly. Its not even western to begin with. Its jewish.

The violent and evil blood of Ang mos are the decendent of Esau the red haired one. thats why alot of other races are pissed with their conquest.

Thats why religion is the only forbidden sudject here. It reveals too much and ppl get wised up and move on and be happier. the more those at the top deceive the bible the more confused the lay ppl.

hence all this strange namings to diff races.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think that's a privacy concern, not a matter of lack of pride. Someone introduced to you as John Tan for example, asking for his Chinese name is akin to asking for his full name, sounding interrogative and intrusively, which of course leads to defensive behaviour, mistaken as agitation.

Not really. There is nothing private about not wanting to share one's given name but adopt an English name and insist on being called by it. From my experience and I have had loads of it asking Chinese about their given names it mostly is a lack of pride and poor self-esteem.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In ancient China days, Chinese people usually had two names (or more if counting titular names). For example, Liu Bei is public name, Liu Xuande is intimate name. When he became Lord of Yizhou (now Sichuan areas), Liu Yizhou is titutlar name. One addresses him according to one's relationship to him. Once he became king, it was of course simply Your Majesty.

The protocol was, if one didn't know that Liu Bei's intimate name is Xuande, than one shouldn't and needn't ask; one's not entitled to or supposed to address him so anyway. If Liu Bei wished to be on intimate terms at the outset, he'd have introduced himself as Liu Bei zi Xuande to let that person know.

This tradition lasted all the way through Sun Yat-sen (Yixian) whose name was Sun Wen zi Yixian with Japanese alias incorporated as the popularly used Chinese title Sun Zhongshan (Nakayama). Apparently, Sun Yat-sen discouraged the distinction between public and intimate personal names, and encouraged all to address him as Sun Yat-sen (supposedly initimate name where Sun Wen was public name). It might have been a political move to endear himself to the masses, but it caught on and the practice of dual-naming faded off with the founding of the ROC. In a sense, the English name for Singapore Chinese may be replacing the old practice.

Last edited:

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapre is not a western name.

It's a malay name that's been angelicized. That's okay since if was called singapura the m&ds would have more claims to say SG belongs to them when it belongs to all Sinkess.

The national anthem is in Malay and the island is referred to as SINGAPURA in it several time.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The national anthem is in Malay and the island is referred to as SINGAPURA in it several time.

Singapura is not a Malay name. It's a Sankrit name loanworded into Malay.
Should there be a Malay name, it would have been Bandar Singa, as in Brunei's Bandar Seri Begawan.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapura is not a Malay name. It's a Sankrit name loanworded into Malay.
Should there be a Malay name, it would have been Bandar Singa, as in Brunei's Bandar Seri Begawan.

Read what I wrote carefully. I said the national anthem is in Malay and the island is referred to as SINGAPURA.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In ancient China days, Chinese people usually had two names (or more if counting titular names). For example, Liu Bei is public name, Liu Xuande is intimate name. When he became Lord of Yizhou (now Sichuan areas), Liu Yizhou is titutlar name. One addresses him according to one's relationship to him. Once he became king, it was of course simply Your Majesty.

The protocol was, if one didn't know that Liu Bei's intimate name is Xuande, than one shouldn't and needn't ask; one's not entitled to or supposed to address him so anyway. If Liu Bei wished to be on intimate terms at the outset, he'd have introduced himself as Liu Bei zi Xuande to let that person know.

This tradition lasted all the way through Sun Yat-sen (Yixian) whose name was Sun Wen zi Yixian with Japanese alias incorporated as the popularly used Chinese title Sun Zhongshan (Nakayama). Apparently, Sun Yat-sen discouraged the distinction between public and intimate personal names, and encouraged all to address him as Sun Yat-sen (supposedly initimate name where Sun Wen was public name). It might have been a political move to endear himself to the masses, but it caught on and the practice of dual-naming faded off with the founding of the ROC. In a sense, the English name for Singapore Chinese may be replacing the old practice.

there were folks who changed their names to change their luck and fortune. i always believe that each individual has major life junctions and decisions along the way, and if the right name adoption or change is invoked at each turn, life takes on a new meaning or destiny of its own. historical notables who changed their names did it for fortune, success, status and recognition purposes. all the ancient chinese dynastic leaders come to mind, including the mongol khans and manchurian lords. napoleon changed his last name from buonaparte to bonaparte to be more recognizable in french circles. otherwise, the french would never give a shit to a lowly islander from corsica, which was closer to italy and sardinia in language than france. his fortunes took a turn for the better with that name change.

i would encourage everyone in sg to change their names not once but many times depending on major life changing circumstances they face. it will open up a fresh view of your destiny. :biggrin: