• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Who cooks the best Hokkien Mee?

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The list no Geylang Lorong 29 Hokkien Mee? How can?

ada one branch at East Coast Road/Telok Kurau Road junction :p:p:p

yes, don't know why this one never in the list. one of the best in my opinion.

but don't take the list too seriously. used to have one stall at bedok south blk 58. now defunct. saw the owner few years back frying hokkien mee at lau pah sat for thye hong getting paid 2.5k monthly. this blk 58 stall owner style is sell cheap with few ingredients with delicious noodles and special chilli with ikan bilis. $3 packet can 4 person share, but with only a few prawns and meat. but the noodles taste very good and pack with leaf. chatted with the owner at lau pah sat, he said really hard work and long hour. gave up due to the ever rising rental and not making much even with good business. he even confessed that not even taking back 2k monthly after deducting rental and the cost!

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
yes, don't know why this one never in the list. one of the best in my opinion.

One fellow in this forum once claimed that he saw Zorro waiting for the hokkien mee from the Geylang Lor 29 stall.
Strangely enough, the fellow's internet moniker was "hawker". :biggrin:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One fellow in this forum once claimed that he saw Zorro waiting for the hokkien mee from the Geylang Lor 29 stall.
Strangely enough, the fellow's internet moniker was "hawker". :biggrin:

Rival trying to sabo the stall? If I see zorro there it will spoil my appetite

jw5

Loyal
Rival trying to sabo the stall? If I see zorro there it will spoil my appetite

No lah, I think the forummer was just bullshitting. But you are right about having the appetite spoilt, seeing his face or hearing his voice will be enough. :biggrin:

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Old airport got at least 2. Jackson and nam sing.
I think you referring to the latter. Very haolian and small portions now. $5 half plate portion. Worse is to cater to crowd now they pre fry and pre pack.
Jackson's is so so but the owner is friendly and he regularly does charity but cooking for old folks for free.

agreed. both fail.

the TP one is good and so is the bedok corner one ....except portions are getting smaller too....

i just love my hokkien mee fried wet wet.....

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Geylang lor 19-21 sims ave side also got one claim to use charcoal fried but lose out to lor 29 one.

Actually I refer to this dish as fried prawn noodles.....Hokkien mee to me is the zhi char dark sauce version.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If having dirty meat on your noodles means rated best .. then I dunno what is best.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
In my opinion; a pLate of decent Hokkien Mee shouLd fuLfiLL these minimum criterias:
1.) Thin Bee hoon shouLd be used.
2.) Sam Cham Bak ( pork belly strips) to be incLuded into the igredients' List.
3.) Small shrimps instead of simpLy throwing in those huge farmed smeLLy Tiger prawns.
4.) FinaL product shouLd be served with red cut chillies & not chilly paste.
P/s: Nam Sing used to fuLfiLL these criterias though..:cool:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Just got home from an invitation by my ex-Badminton pLaying kaki at the Singapore Swimming cLub.
I thought their Fried Hokkien Mee was Quite decent though..:smile:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Noticed that there are at least 4 stalls selling Hokkien mee at Whampoa food centre. Most other hawker centres would have at most 2 stalls. Any bros tried the Hokkien mee there? I makaned from 2 of the stalls previously. Nothing great. Never makaned from the stalls again.

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
My Improvised Hokkien Mee

Ingredients
300g pork belly, heavily salted, leave for at least 1 hr, overnight preferable
300g medium size prawns, deshelled, soaked in ice water with a tbsp sugar. Keep heads n shells for the stock
300g squid, slightly salted and cut to rings
300g bean sprout, washed, husk removed, and drained
1 thumb size belachan, roasted till it crumbles
2L chicken stock, made from boiling chicken bones. May be substituted by chicken cubes if bones are too much of a hassle
2 eggs, beaten with 4 tbsp of water and a pinch of salt and pepper
0.5 kg yellow noodle, blanche quickly in hot water to get rid of the excess oil and alkaline
0.5 kg of beehoon, thick or thin, soaked in boiled water until soft, then drained
100g chopped garlic, more if you love the garlicky taste

Preapring the Stock
Hokkien mee is all about the stock. The stock makes or breaks the dish. I cook and eat at home so as far as possible, I avoid MSG, therefore the chicken bones to add taste and body to the stock.

Boiled the chicken carcass for at least an hour, keep adding water to maintain the 2L volume. Discard carcass.
Crumble the knob belachan and fry it together with the prawns shells in a little oil until crispy. Blend the shells in a little water till it becomes a pink mash
Add this mash into the chicken stock and boil for 15 mins
Sieve the stock and discard the residue
Add the salted piece of pork and cook for 15 minutes. Cut the pork into thin slivers.
Add peeled prawns (sugar water discarded) until just slightly undercooked. Remove.
Wash squid rings to remove excess salt and add to stock until slightly undercooked. Remove.

Frying the noodles
Heat the wok up until smoking, add oil.
When oil is hot, add chopped garlic but be careful not to burn the garlic, otherwise the dish will be bitter
Loosen up the yellow noodle. I use to mix the yellow noodles and the beehoon up in a large pot first. It is quite difficult to do that in the wok. Add these in the wok. Mix the garlic well.
Slowly add stock into the noodles. The beehoon absorbs the stock fairly quickly, therefore the volume (2L)
Add beaten egg into the noodles, all the check be mindful of the liquid level, keep adding more as needed.
Add prawns, squid rings and pork slivers. Finally add the bean sprout.

Add fish sauce if you prefer it more salty. If you have a good sambal belachan, now is the time to bring it out. Serve it with a squeeze or 2 of lime.

Disclaimer: I am not a method cook, therefore the above is a little messy. Add a little more or less as you see fit. Experiment. That’s where the fun is.