• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

which brand of ultra book would you buy?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Should wait for Haswell processor because from what I've read it's suppose to have lower power requirements.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/desktop-hardware/19655/intel-haswell-release-date-and-specs

I don't have much time like i told char azn. By the time a notebook with the processor gets released it would probably be a few months later. Honestly i don't really care too much about all of these cpu and ram specs and chasing the latest ones like i did in the past it's no more interesting to me.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just buy MacBook Air.

If u not convince, I buy together with u. Do not mind owning 2-3 MacBook

If you buy together with me will you get discounts or are you buying together with me simply to convince me that owning a macbook is a good choice. :biggrin:

They are launching it tomorrow.

http://www.fuckwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-microsoft-surface-pro-available-singapore-3-june-s1198

I'm actually strongly considering the macbook now. Less choices to make.

A Mac is a PC with an Intel processor. The reason I got Parallel was so that I could run Microsofts Internet Explorer under Windows. That's the platform that one of my brokers only supports.

Many brokers such as Think or Swim in the US support the Mac & I think it is a safer environment because it is less suceptible to trojans, viruses, etc. The only reason to get a PC is if you want to do forex & need to hook up multiple monitors.

However I notice that many brokers now support the iPad. Don't know what kind of tools you will be using but for me I'm looking for the simplest platform without all the unecessary bells & whistles.

PS: I don't play games.

I do forex trading but i don't have mulitple monitors. Anyway this is a portable pc so definitely no multiple monitors.

I think i'll be getting a macbook so i'll order it online. Shouldn't be a problem learning mac osx and installing win 7 as the other OS on it. I think win8 sucks probably going to give a person hell if he is new to it.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yup i require a new notebook and there's these sleek thin type of notebooks that they call ultrabooks. After using ipads i have not actually used a portable windows based lappy/notebook for some time.

Get a Macbook - Pro or Air. No virus, fast, stable, most intuitive user interface, best OS in the world.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I do forex trading but i don't have mulitple monitors. Anyway this is a portable pc so definitely no multiple monitors.

With a Macbook Pro you can easily hook up an external monitor AND use it the notebook book's screen. Or you can decide to run with the notebook closed with only with the external monitor.

I often use my laptop with one of my spare 24" monitors when I'm using it at home.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All right made my order on a 13" retina display macbook pro. It's not even that much heavier than the macbook air just 600g heavier according to the specs.

I must say i was really tempted to get the 15" one with all the bells and whistles like the fastest core i7 quad core cpu and the nvidia gpu but that would have weighed i think close to 3kg and would definitely run much hotter.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All right made my order on a 13" retina display macbook pro. It's not even that much heavier than the macbook air just 600g heavier according to the specs.

I must say i was really tempted to get the 15" one with all the bells and whistles like the fastest core i7 quad core cpu and the nvidia gpu but that would have weighed i think close to 3kg and would definitely run much hotter.

I chose the i7 non-retina model because I wanted the DVD drive.

I have found that the 13" model can fit in the hotel safes. You might have a problem with the 15" model. Some hotel safes don't open fully & the hinge may block a 15" model.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I chose the i7 non-retina model because I wanted the DVD drive.

I have found that the 13" model can fit in the hotel safes. You might have a problem with the 15" model. Some hotel safes don't open fully & the hinge may block a 15" model.

actually if you want the dvd drive you could purchase it seperately. costs only 98 bucks. Wonder if apple has a blu ray drive doesn't seem like it has one if not they would have reccomended that.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
i'll be honest i need to use this trading platform called think or swim and in future probably install other trading software apple doesn't really trading software developed for it and i know you can use a windows emulator to run windows on a mac but will there be problems installing software and games meant for windows on such emulators?

Can't help you on this one cos I left Windows for good.

If you buy together with me will you get discounts or are you buying together with me simply to convince me that owning a macbook is a good choice. :biggrin:

I'm actually strongly considering the macbook now. Less choices to make.

I think i'll be getting a macbook so i'll order it online. Shouldn't be a problem learning mac osx and installing win 7 as the other OS on it. I think win8 sucks probably going to give a person hell if he is new to it.

You can wait long long for discounts for two.

Online ordering allows you to add RAM or up the processor etc however buying from the airport one saves 7% moreover Changi airport always have offer on the AppleCare.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can't help you on this one cos I left Windows for good.

It's fine i asked already and running windows software on emulator won't be a problem might only be a problem if you run graphic intensive applications like games for example and i'm going to dual boot the mac so i will have win 7 on it. It also turns out that they have a mac version of the software. Nowadays many software have a mac version compared to yrs back.

You can wait long long for discounts for two.

Online ordering allows you to add RAM or up the processor etc however buying from the airport one saves 7% moreover Changi airport always have offer on the AppleCare.

I was just curious when he told me he would actually buy a mac together with me i was thinking does he have a lobang somewhere i mean he cannot be buying a new macbook for my sake just to make a statement. It seems like he probably is a really big fan of mac that he wouldn't mind owning another one just to convince me to get a macbook.

Mine comes with the max 8GB of ddr3 ram is yours with the retina display? 2556 x 1620 res or something like that which is like the res of a 28inch monitor on a 13" screen.

Do you need to fly before you can get that offer from the airport something like buying the duty free cigs/liquor? Well when i came back from overseas almost 2 weeks back i didn't need a lappy.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
actually if you want the dvd drive you could purchase it seperately. costs only 98 bucks. Wonder if apple has a blu ray drive doesn't seem like it has one if not they would have reccomended that.

I don't like to carry too many extra bits because I may loose things when I travel.

Remember that Steve Jobs saying that "Blueray is a bag of hurt" :smile:
You'll have to find a 3rd party solution like http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/optical-drives/superdrives/

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't have much time like i told char azn. By the time a notebook with the processor gets released it would probably be a few months later. Honestly i don't really care too much about all of these cpu and ram specs and chasing the latest ones like i did in the past it's no more interesting to me.

we know you are dumb. You dun have to tell us that.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't like to carry too many extra bits because I may loose things when I travel.

Remember that Steve Jobs saying that "Blueray is a bag of hurt" :smile:
You'll have to find a 3rd party solution like http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/optical-drives/superdrives/

Well unless you have something like a 768GB ssd since the top end macbooks don't use regular hdds you would probably need to bring along an extra portable hdd along to store the extra stuff like movies, music, software etc so that's also an extra bit. I really like the fact that it doesn't have a dvd rom cos it really makes the lappy more bulky.

So you don't bring along an an external hdd so your mac's hdd must be pretty large too right?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
we know you are dumb. You dun have to tell us that.

Don't give a shit about the latest specs already ordered my macbook and it's got good reviews and that's all i care you can continue to masterbate over the latest cpu specs etc etc etc.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do you need to fly before you can get that offer from the airport something like buying the duty free cigs/liquor? Well when i came back from overseas almost 2 weeks back i didn't need a lappy.

When you buy at the airport you don't have to pay GST.

If you get it from Malaysia you also don't have to pay GST & it's also slightly cheaper. If you fly into Malaysia you might also be entitled to a tax rebate.

Can check on Apple Malaysia's prices here http://store.apple.com/my/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro
There's an official Apple dealer in JB at City Square Mall that is the Mall next to the Immigration building in JB.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well unless you have something like a 768GB ssd since the top end macbooks don't use regular hdds you would probably need to bring along an extra portable hdd along to store the extra stuff like movies, music, software etc so that's also an extra bit. I really like the fact that it doesn't have a dvd rom cos it really makes the lappy more bulky.

So you don't bring along an an external hdd so your mac's hdd must be pretty large too right?

I've considered getting a consumer blue ray player but not for my notebook. If you want to enjoy the blue ray experience you'll need a large screen TV with a good sound system.

My optical drive on my notebook is to read & write data & not to watch movies

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've considered getting a consumer blue ray player but not for my notebook. If you want to enjoy the blue ray experience you'll need a large screen TV with a good sound system.

My optical drive on my notebook is to read & write data & not to watch movies

retina display models don't have built in dvd rom. How is the display for your mac?