• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Where To Find The Besti Xiao Long Bao Here?(no dirty thoughts please.)

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talk about Xiao Long Bao, I am very interested to know how can that little white pouch keeping the soup and not leaking. Anybody knows the secret of keeping those soup in Xiao Long Bao without any leakages and wetting the bamboo nest?
Use the chopstick gently grip the nipples. Pull slowly. Spoon standby once lifted. No dirty thoughts. :smile:

Last edited:

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
Thanks for all the tips on where to eat this delicious xiao long bao,hope they come with free toothpick too...
and of course a clean mind with no dirty thoughts...thank you.:smile:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
The soup is frozen and put together with the filling when they wrap the dumpling. When they steam the dumpling, the frozen soup will melt and form the soup inside. To keep everything intact, the consistency, elasticity and freshness of the dumpling skin dough is important. I have had some very badly made ones in singapore when the skin broke as we picked it up from the basket. It means they had been stored in the fridge for too long.

RT sorry I am afraid I have to differ. There is no ice soup in the making of 小笼包 or 汤包. If you have a chance to see the workers wrap you noticed its only a big bowl or basin of mixed meat. So where does the "soup" come from? Well it from pork fats melted when heated and of course mixed with the moisture of the mixture but mainly liquid fat. How I know? The owner of 佳家汤包 is a friend. So actually eating too much of this is bad.

If one order say crab meat 小笼包 there will be less soup inside if you noticed as they could not put too much pork fats inside if not the smell and taste of crab meat will be diluted.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I recommend you also try the 生煎 next time when you are in Shanghai. It's authentic shanghainese breakfast fare. The most famous and best store according to the locals is 小羊生煎. It's really a very clever chinese "fastfood" that's very also delicious if you are into dumplings. The 口感 is excellent since the bottom is semi fried (like 锅贴) and they have pork and soup filling inside like 小龙包. But please share with someone since one portion of 5 is really damn filling.

2008122314305375000.jpg

2_73917895_diary.jpeg

生煎包 is very delicious but do be very careful its burning hot. I've also wrote about this and where to eat in Shanghai in this link http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread....s-around-Shanghai-anybody&p=936431#post936431

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
honestly i haven't tasted good XLB in Singapore. I once went to eat in NanXiang, Shanghai - that was quite good initially , then it bcame overkill because in China, they eat XLB in katis not pieces.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
honestly i haven't tasted good XLB in Singapore. I once went to eat in NanXiang, Shanghai - that was quite good initially , then it bcame overkill because in China, they eat XLB in katis not pieces.

Next time go 佳家汤包 guarantee and its sold in pcs

lee6100

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shanghai Pudong Restaurant, basement Balmoral Plaza. Authentic Shanghainese food run by Shanghainese in Singapore for nearly 30 years.

Last edited:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are also several hawker stalls run by Tiongs selling rather authentic xlb.

Yes. I know of one at Whampoa market. Makaned there quite regularly. Not the best in town but great value for your $$$$$. Nice chap too with first class service.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Shanghai Pudong Restaurant, basement Balmoral Plaza. Authentic Shanghainese food run by Shanghainese in Singapore for nearly 30 years.

Confirm chop. This is as Shanghai as one can get, lady owner Shanghainese chef Shanghainese, spoke to them in Shanghainese before and food no need to say. Their 小笼包 though is average taste to me. Please one must try the very Shanghainese dish 炒年糕 and of course their 红烧肉 is good. A little in the pricey side but worth it. Wife and I makan there quite often when we lived in Singapore (may meet a grumpy old lady at counter sometimes, owner's mother just ignore her)

SadPlumpGirl

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Confirm chop. This is as Shanghai as one can get, lady owner Shanghainese chef Shanghainese, spoke to them in Shanghainese before and food no need to say. Their 小笼包 though is average taste to me. Please one must try the very Shanghainese dish 炒年糕 and of course their 红烧肉 is good. A little in the pricey side but worth it. Wife and I makan there quite often when we lived in Singapore (may meet a grumpy old lady at counter sometimes, owner's mother just ignore her)

The owner name is Eve..a shanghaiese. She started in Singapore in early 90s as a secretary to hong Kong comoany based in Singapore called Feoso. becareful...she is a Gold digger....i know her...hehehe....

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Thanks joe... a lot of good stuff on the thread. Can't believe I missed it.. didn't know you are also a "上海女婿"。。should exchange notes some day yah? :biggrin:

Waaaa really ah? Cool man. 上海徐家汇。

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
The owner name is Eve..a shanghaiese. She started in Singapore in early 90s as a secretary to hong Kong comoany based in Singapore called Feoso. becareful...she is a Gold digger....i know her...hehehe....

Pianz so you must be as old la. Pianz.

aliensmotor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eat xlb too much and very boring. Try "YEP CHI MEI TA PAU" located at Queenstown. SuperBIG (bigger than your face) and Huge and delicious. NO joke . This is real one.