• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

When You Are Facing A Wild Lion

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A hypothetical question. Let's say you are alone walking in an African bush and suddenly you came across a lion staring at you. What do you do?

prancku

Alfrescian
Loyal
A hypothetical question. Let's say you are alone walking in an African bush and suddenly you came across a lion staring at you. What do you do?

Theoretically, if the lion is hungry then you should run for your life. If the lion is not hungry, you can call him tabby, tabby and play with him.

Practically, when you face a lion in the wild, you are dead meat. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

hylambobat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Trying to run away from it is futile because it will outrun you. It is also dangerous because it will immediately bring out the lion's predator instincts.
The best thing to do is to go against the grain and try to scare it away by shouting at it or acting aggresively towards it. It may not work but the alternatives are just as bad or worse.

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My dad and I faced off a puma in the Siberian steppe once.

We drew our bodies upright, held two large branches over our heads, and walked calmly away. We were not attacked. The key is to make it appear you are larger and meaner than you really are. And do not make any fast moves. Walk slowly!!!

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Knn, this one no need to think do much. Run to the nearest tree machiam you are bolt and climb tree lah. Lions cannot climb tree rite?

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Knn, this one no need to think do much. Run to the nearest tree machiam you are bolt and climb tree lah. Lions cannot climb tree rite?

Lions loves climbing trees. You got no chance bro. Also before you reach the tree they already outrun you.:biggrin:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

I will still choose to shot the Indian beside the lion.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro, you will never make to the tree.
These beast are fast, very very fast.

Lions loves climbing trees. You got no chance bro. Also before you reach the tree they already outrun you.:biggrin:
Ummm....always thought lions cannot climb trees, only leopards and cheetahs can. Like that hor, just hold my breath and pretend i dead liaoz and not 'fresh' and hopefully can siam. This one learn frim saf, kay see (pretend dead). :wink:

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is what some African do when they meet the lions, like a boss.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pNeNTMmltyc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
this is what some African do when they meet the lions, like a boss.

Nice video thanks. It's a different scenario and they have weapons just in case. It still does not answer the question of what an unarmed person should do when confronted by a lion.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Ummm....always thought lions cannot climb trees, only leopards and cheetahs can. Like that hor, just hold my breath and pretend i dead liaoz and not 'fresh' and hopefully can siam. This one learn frim saf, kay see (pretend dead). :wink:

Will not work at all as lions are also scavengers. They eat whatever food they find, even if animals die from disease.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Thanks those who answered this thread. Here is the African guide's advice on such a situation.

Lions sleep about 20 hours a day to gain their energy for a hunt. As they run out of energy fast chasing their prey, they need to conserve it as much as they can. Most of their successful kills are from catching their prey unawares. If they come across for example, an antelope face to face, they will not attack because the antelope can run faster and escape. The antelope will not move but look at them directly in the eyes, and the lion will walk away knowing it is useless to attack.

So, when it happens to us, we stay still and look at the lion directly in the eyes and chances are, it will walk away and you are safe. Of course as it is a hypothetical situation, we may never know how it will turn out. Maybe the lion will attack and we become dead meat.:biggrin:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Siao liaoz. Me always thought lions and tigers cannot climb trees. Hehehe. Thanks for the video. Always like documentary stuff. :smile:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I kid you not but that is exactly what my group and I were told when we went on safari. We were reminded on a number of occasions never to turn our backs as it will trigger their instinct and that we would have no chance.

Trying to run away from it is futile because it will outrun you. It is also dangerous because it will immediately bring out the lion's predator instincts.
The best thing to do is to go against the grain and try to scare it away by shouting at it or acting aggresively towards it. It may not work but the alternatives are just as bad or worse.