• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What would you expect from a Stemaboat Resturant ?

YellowRibbon

Alfrescian
Loyal

That will make you go back again and again ?

1) Price :
I think now also around $18++ per head ?

2) Location :
Im thinking of Balestier and Jalan Besar. Geylang and Bugis are out cos too much competition. What about Chinatown ? Rent too high.

3) Food :
What wiould you prefer ?

4) Table and seats :
With or without back rest type pf chairs or others ?

5) Renovation :
Important ?

6) Indoor/Outdoor ?
Prefer which ?

7) Gas or electric ?
Prefer which ?

8) Soup base ?
What kind of soups you prefer or suggest ?

9) Any other suggestions ???

Thanks for all the feedback

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Bro, seems Like your head is aLready into setting up a steamboat joint from day one..if your startup
capitaL is not that big, why not set up a steamboat staLL in a f/c instead; and see how things go ?..
You may wish to understudy the modeL of this steamboat staLL at bLk16 Bedok South Road 1st, prior to going aLL out ?..i used to be a reguLar there; and guessed they were doing quite weLL.
Dont mind me being a kaypoh..:cool:

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
1) Price : I think now also around $18++ per head ?

As cheap as possible!

2) Location : Im thinking of Balestier and Jalan Besar.

Balestier & Jln Besar also not easy to get good position units.

3) Food : What wiould you prefer ?

A lot of Seafood & fresh!

4) Table and seats : With or without back rest type pf chairs or others ?

with backrest & comfortable padding seat.

5) Renovation : Important ?

No answer.

6) Indoor/Outdoor ? Prefer which ?

Outdoor under a tree & with a good breeze!

7) Gas or electric ? Prefer which ?

Neither, i prefer charcoal.

8) Soup base ? What kind of soups you prefer or suggest ?

As many options as possible!

Like Bro Fishypie says, start small & see how you cope, no point throwing all your money into a bigger venture only to see it fail.

Last edited:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That will make you go back again and again ? ...
not xpensif, value-4-moni, wide variety, near my place ...

1) Price : I think now also around $18++ per head ?
shud b ok lor ... no point undercutting others, but u provide betta quality lor ...

2) Location : Im thinking of Balestier and Jalan Besar. Geylang and Bugis are out cos too much competition. What about Chinatown ? Rent too high.
near my place ... if not, den centralised, convenient, muz haf ease of access ...

3) Food : What wiould you prefer ?
wide variety ... freshness is important ... soup oso ...

4) Table and seats : With or without back rest type pf chairs or others ?
me prefer got back rest ...

5) Renovation : Important ?
make ze place rook neat n clean ...

6) Indoor/Outdoor ? Prefer which ?
if got indoor, haf goot ventilation ... if got outdoor, haf shelter wen it rains ...

7) Gas or electric ? Prefer which ?
shud make soup boil fast ... customers can adjust power demselves ...

8) Soup base ? What kind of soups you prefer or suggest ?
actuarry me prefer normal 1 ...

Last edited:

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1) Price :

Good to eat more important. Below $10.:p

2) Location :
Im thinking of Balestier and Jalan Besar. Geylang and Bugis are out cos too much competition. What about Chinatown ? Rent too high.

Geylang and Bugis good, that's where steamboat eaters hunt for steamboat restaurants. Save you on advertising cost
. :wink:

3) Food :
What wiould you prefer ?

Lobster, Abalone, Sharkfin and so on.:p

4) Table and seats :
With or without back rest type pf chairs or others ?

With back rest, relax relax sit whole day.
:p No backrest, eat fast fast fuck off forever!:biggrin:

5) Renovation :
Important ?

Clean and smell good.

6) Indoor/Outdoor ?
Prefer which ?

Indoor with aircon.

7) Gas or electric ?
Prefer which ?

Gas, heats up faster. Customers eat faster and fuck off earlier.:biggrin:

8) Soup base ?
What kind of soups you prefer or suggest ?

Herbal, Chicken, Mala, Tom Yam.

Waitress neh neh big big.:wink: Can touch sure go back!!! :p

Got discount or not?:confused::p:biggrin:

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1) Price :

Cut the ++ crap. This gimmick don't work anymore. Put $19.90 Nett Nett!

3) Food :
What wiould you prefer ?

Standard steamboat stuffs. Freshness is very important.

Waitress neh neh big big enough. Give half ball even better!

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's also the option of which kind of stove you want: charcoal, gas or electric.

Charcoal stove steamboat is hard to find these days. I prefer gas stoves. Don't like electric stoves.

Best steamboat experience I ever had was at Whampoa hawker centre, back in the 1980s. I was still a small boy back then, but I'll never forget the food and the name 'Whampoa'. Now 20+ years have passed, so I can't guarantee the food is still great.

There are also many types of steamboat. Authentic Sinkie Chinese steamboat, Thai tom yam steamboat (Coca), Korean BBQ+steamboat, Sichuan Mala spicy steamboat, fish head steamboat, Japanese shabu shabu.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Make you song abit and dream bigger TS....
I know the ah tiong boss who runs a chain of noodle shops and steamboat shops....the flagship is one of those along beach road opposite prince cinema....that shop alone pulls in clean profit of 100k per month for his company....go figure.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Thanks for all the feedback

If you're going to put in a ton of effort getting a business up and running, don't waste all the hard work on a run-of-the-mill enterprise where adding value to the business is next to impossible.

Restaurants come and go. If you're good at what you do, you'll make money while you're slogging away but at the end of the day, you have nothing to show for it. Your lease will expire and that's the end of the chapter.

What you need to do is build a business which you can add value to and sell as an ongoing concern when you've reached your goals. This will ensure that all the hard work you put in isn't all wasted.

However, if restaurants ARE your passion, then you need to build a BRAND name while you're at it so that the brand can be franchised or sold at a premium. "Johnson Lok" is a good example.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
TS

too many irrelevant questions, chair backrest, soupbase, gas or electric etc. Its F&B so recipe, cook and tasty food. People will sit on a stool and wallop good food which are presented well and tasty consistently.

If no cook and good recipe, you are wasting your time. The rest is easy.

By the way chef is base salary and 10% profit sharing.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro, seems Like your head is aLready into setting up a steamboat joint from day one..if your startup
capitaL is not that big, why not set up a steamboat staLL in a f/c instead; and see how things go ?..
You may wish to understudy the modeL of this steamboat staLL at bLk16 Bedok South Road 1st, prior to going aLL out ?..i used to be a reguLar there; and guessed they were doing quite weLL.

Good idea. One killer for restaurant business is the issue of parking space. Food centres normally don't have this problem. Once you have made a name, move to a bigger space. By then you will know how much business you can make and whether you can afford the rental of that good location.

kaypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal

You also kaypoh?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

1) Price : 20 nett

2) Location : Siglap

3) Food : Hakka Yong Toh Fu items, beef slices, pork belly slices, tang hoon, mushrooms, fresh seafood

4) Table and seats : rectangular tables for 4 pax (single stove) or rectangular tables for 8 pax (double stove)

5) Renovation : if your food is good, just keep the air con on

6) Indoor/Outdoor : combination of indoor or outdoor selection

7) Gas or electric : electric

8) Soup base : pork stock, chicken stock, ma la, tom yam

9) Any other suggestions : give bros of Sammyboy a discount when we eat at your joint :p:p:p