• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What things are cheaper in JB?

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysian inflation hits expected 2.9% in Nov
AmResearch sees inflation staying high in Dec 'due to higher transport cost and soaring food prices'
BY S JAYASANKARAN IN KUALA LUMPUR
PUBLISHED DECEMBER 20, 2013

ALL those price increases - in fuel and sugar - are beginning to bite.

Malaysia's inflation as measured by the consumer price index (CPI) increased 2.9 per cent in November from a year before just as the street predicted.
For the year-to-date, inflation grew 2 per cent.

In September, the government began to cut subsidies, and petrol prices rose 10 per cent.

That had an immediate impact. Transport costs, for example, increased 4.9 per cent in November year-on- year on the back of the higher fuel costs.

Fuel price hikes have a grievous impact on prices overall as the transport index accounts for 14.9 per cent of the overall CPI.

And the prognosis points the same way.

"Inflation will likely remain elevated in December due to higher transport cost and soaring food prices," AmResearch said in a report yesterday.

Indeed, the bank research unit estimates there will be a price increase of 3.1 per cent in December, which would bring the full- year inflation for 2013 to 2.1 per cent.

Things are expected to get worse in 2014 as electricity tariffs are slated to increase by 15 per cent effective Jan 1.

That would save national oil firm Petronas almost RM4 billion (S$1.54 billion) in gas subsidies.

And fuel prices could rise further.

"We foresee further price rationalisation amounting to RM3.5 billion next year," AmResearch noted.

"In part, RM1.7 billion in government savings could potentially come from another round of petrol pump price increases in the middle of 2014," it added.
Indeed, that is almost guaranteed to happen as Prime Minister Najib Razak's 2014 Budget is predicated on a 17 per cent cut in subsidies.

It's good from a fiscal consolidation point of view, which was noted approvingly by an International Monetary Fund (IMF) report released on Wednesday.

Indeed, the total savings from the petrol pump price hikes and the abolition of sugar subsidies were around RM3.8 billion.

"Inflation will escalate and could even surpass 3.2 per cent during some months in 2014 as the government reduces fuel subsidies in tandem with its fiscal consolidation efforts," the bank research house said.

Highway toll rates could also increase.

Works Minister Fadillah Yusof recently said that the toll concession agreements were up for review.

"If toll rates are reviewed, transport costs will increase and headline inflation will be even higher than our current projection," said AmResearch.

What would this mean for monetary policy? Most economists expect Bank Negara Malaysia to begin tightening monetary policy.

"Although we do not see a rate hike as imminent, we sense that BNM's waiting period before it normalises policy could be very short," Barclays Bank said in a report yesterday.

"We expect BNM to raise rates by 25 basis points in the second quarter of 2014 with another 25 basis point hike in the third quarter."

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/premium/malaysia/malaysian-inflation-hits-expected-29-nov-20131220

graveyard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore too. e.g. price increased by about 10% recently at KFC. Burgers at most fast food restaurants have shrunk by 10% although prices may have maintained. Chicken rice are about $3 at coffeeshops and hawker centers now, compared to $2.50 just 1-2 years ago. Sugarcane juice are increasing at a rate of 10 cents every 2 years. Coffee at coffee shops and cafes taste quite bland too, and it could be due to poorer and cheaper coffee beans used.

i still remember how my fav zinger burger has shrunk by so much - i thought i had ordered a mini version when i purchased one recently

graveyard

Alfrescian
Loyal
a commodity thats definitely cheaper in MY is business shoes. Ytd bought 2 pairs of shoes at Jusco BI - 50% discount. MYR 90 and MYR 70 for the 2 pairs respectively and these are decent leather business shoes. Good brands like Valentino and Bonia cost MYR200 which is what you pay for a non branded shoe at a clearance sale in SG

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another personal experience. My daughter's ballet fees in Singapore (at a moderately popular school) is about S$400 per term (10 weeks). A ballet center near to our JB house is charging RM100 per month (4 weeks). This particular ballet center is owned by a ballerina who ensured her center is certified to host exams and she herself is a certified teacher/examiner.

Mummymoo happy, little girl also happy :smile:

THat is highly affordable.

Imagine :

10 weeks : 1028 RM
4 weeks : 100Rm per monh

Rocker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quotes from a few SG dentists for braces for my son range from S$4,500 to S$5,000. I was recommended a dentist in Skudai who's charging me RM2,500 to RM3,000 at the very most. Her clinic is very clean with impressive equipment. And since she's successfully done braces for two other kids whom I personally know, it became a no-brainer which dentist I choose.

Can PM me the dentist contact please? Thanks!

captainjones

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quotes from a few SG dentists for braces for my son range from S$4,500 to S$5,000. I was recommended a dentist in Skudai who's charging me RM2,500 to RM3,000 at the very most. Her clinic is very clean with impressive equipment. And since she's successfully done braces for two other kids whom I personally know, it became a no-brainer which dentist I choose.

Hi Mummymoo, can u pm me the contact too? tks!

Mummymoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can PM me the dentist contact please? Thanks!

Sorry I just logged in and saw your request. Will PM you and captainjones now. If anyone else wants the dentist contact, better to send me a PM so that I don't miss your request.

siacw

Alfrescian
Loyal
musang king 1kg sgd10, jb selling 1kg rm 30+.

sad even though durian coming from msia but they sell cheap to spore

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everything is cheap maybe should start thread on "what is expensive"

Seafood. Got one time I ordered one steamed fish and later bill was RM150 for the fish I almost fainted. That is first time and last time. Always think cheap cheap cheap but neglect to ask pricing carefully.:(

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
musang king 1kg sgd10, jb selling 1kg rm 30+.

sad even though durian coming from msia but they sell cheap to spore

Are you sure cat hill king durain is selling only $10 per kg in Singapore? :eek: Where is your lobang?

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seafood. Got one time I ordered one steamed fish and later bill was RM150 for the fish I almost fainted. That is first time and last time. Always think cheap cheap cheap but neglect to ask pricing carefully.:(

Was it Sultan fish?