• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What the hell is he trying to say?

Papititis

Alfrescian
Loyal
Home > ST Forum > Story
April 4, 2009
LEARNING MANDARIN
Why it's so crucial

I REFER to Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew's appeal to Chinese Singaporeans to learn and speak more Mandarin. I am a Singaporean working and living in Shenzhen, China with my family, and I fully share his concerns. Working in China has opened my eyes and made me realise how blessed we are in Singapore and the challenges that lie ahead for our next generation.
There are many things in China that are probably not quite up to international standards yet and coming to Shenzhen has been a bit of a hardship posting for us.

During my first week in Shenzhen, I went out for my run and clocked my fastest 5km ever. I was jumping over spit and dog's poo all the time that my feet were hardly touching the ground. I felt thankful for our 'Keep Singapore Clean' and 'No Spitting' campaigns and the heavy fines imposed.

But I would not exchange this 'hardship' experience for anything else. There is so much dynamism and drive in this place. People are so eager to learn and improve. Almost all my staff members are taking some kind of course, from English to MBAs, at their own expense, to improve themselves.

I heard schools broadcasting Christmas carols through their PA system in the middle of March. Initially, I thought they must be crazy. Then I realised they were doing it for a purpose - so that their students could learn English through simple songs.
In Singapore, we are blessed with a good government and enjoy a standard of living equal to many industrialised nations. And we are beginning to take things for granted.

I used to think we have an advantage because we speak both English and Mandarin and can be the link between China and the West. Since coming to China, my perception has totally changed. More and more Chinese nationals are learning to speak English. While I try to communicate to my staff in Mandarin, they all want to talk to me in English. Give them another 10 or 15 years, any little language advantage we have will be gone unless we do something about it now.
Singaporeans must take up MM Lee's challenge to master Mandarin; just as Chinese nationals are trying to get their tongues around English.

Patrick Tan

So in 10 or 15 years time, will we be speaking English or Mandarin to the PRC nationals, in China?

Last edited:

High Command

Alfrescian
Loyal
What he is trying to say is once the Chinese have achieved a degree of proficency in the English language we Singaporeans are screwed as they won't be needing us to bridge east and west. Personally, we are already screwed as people have been going direct.

Airlib

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kaoz.... Carry balls to the max leh!!!
But then again... typical Singaporeans pattern of hao lian mindset.

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
the part i can't stand is -

'During my first week in Shenzhen, I went out for my run and clocked my fastest 5km ever. I was jumping over spit and dog's poo all the time that my feet were hardly touching the ground'.

:confused:

this idiot patrick, he's an army guy or what ? such a fitness fanatic that he had to go running the 1st week in shenzhen, and so elated abt his fastest time ? who the hell cares ?! and knowing that the streets are covered with spit & poo, he still goes & ruin his trainers ... china streets are the last place on earth i will jog in ... :eek:

there is no doubt at all this is a PAP running dog (no pun intended) ...

a guy obssessed over mandarin, physical fitness, & old man LKY ...

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
>>>But I would not exchange this 'hardship' experience for anything else. There is so much dynamism and drive in this place. People are so eager to learn and improve. Almost all my staff members are taking some kind of course, from English to MBAs, at their own expense, to improve themselves.

I heard schools broadcasting Christmas carols through their PA system in the middle of March. Initially, I thought they must be crazy. Then I realised they were doing it for a purpose - so that their students could learn English through simple songs. <<<

This shows that the Familee would rather hire someone from a fark up education system than an NSman simply cos the latter holds that stinking pink IC!

GORG1

Alfrescian
Loyal
the part i can't stand is -

'During my first week in Shenzhen, I went out for my run and clocked my fastest 5km ever. I was jumping over spit and dog's poo all the time that my feet were hardly touching the ground'.

:confused:

this idiot patrick, he's an army guy or what ? such a fitness fanatic that he had to go running the 1st week in shenzhen, and so elated abt his fastest time ? who the hell cares ?! and knowing that the streets are covered with spit & poo, he still goes & ruin his trainers ... china streets are the last place on earth i will jog in ... :eek:

there is no doubt at all this is a PAP running dog (no pun intended) ...

a guy obssessed over mandarin, physical fitness, & old man LKY ...

[/QUOTE

He was a commando. A guy that is not well liked in general..........