• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What is the real meaning of life?

Angelique

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had a lunch (brunch) at 10am today with my favourite professor. He's in Singapore for a seminar and meetings the next few days. I haven't seen him for some time in the last two Covid years, when travelling wasn't really permitted like now.

Over the super early lunch, the topic of what's the real meaning of life surfaced (as I told him that I have left my current job, and now seriously evaluating what I want to be in my life going forward).

This lunch topic has sort of gotten me pondering : What's the really the real meaning of life?

And I scribbled these 3 thoughts (below) in my phone's notepad post brunch, while in MRT to the swimming pool.

Thought No1. Finding love, then marriage and building a family?

Thought No2. Springboard myself into a more rewarding career and accumulate as much wealth as possible while I am still able and young?

Thought No.3. Better physical and mental health, wellness and perhaps longevity?

A further question then crossed my mind as I was doing my 5km endurance swim after brunch.

Does the meaning of life changes as one grows older?

When I graduated in my early 20s, Thoughts No.1 and 2 were largely preoccupying my daily life affairs. Now in my 30s, Thought No.3 seems to be gaining traction as the key and real meaning of life.

I am wondering if all my thoughts on meaning of life will evolve further, especially when I hit my 40s, 50s, 60s and beyond.

I can only postulate that once I am in my late 50s or early 60s, I would probably develop health issues (like most humans do) and also witnessing friends, relatives and senior family members passing away. (Or maybe I will be the one to go first if I develop terminal illnesses?)

So, what will be my post 40s, 50s or 60s meaning of life, especially after retirement and loss of career identity and meaning?

Any thoughts or life experiences to share on this rather philosophical notion on the meaning of life?

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You accumulate wealth in your youth at the expense of health.
After that you will expend your wealth in exchange for your health, which by then would probably have deteriorate to an irreparable state.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
life and death are inseparable. one life leads to another with death as a transition, or to those in transition one death leads to another with life as transition.

meaninglesslife

Stupidman
Loyal
I had a lunch (brunch) at 10am today with my favourite professor. He's in Singapore for a seminar and meetings the next few days. I haven't seen him for some time in the last two Covid years, when travelling wasn't really permitted like now.

Over the super early lunch, the topic of what's the real meaning of life surfaced (as I told him that I have left my current job, and now seriously evaluating what I want to be in my life going forward).

This lunch topic has sort of gotten me pondering : What's the really the real meaning of life?

And I scribbled these 3 thoughts (below) in my phone's notepad post brunch, while in MRT to the swimming pool.

Thought No2. Springboard myself into a more rewarding career and accumulate as much wealth as possible while I am still able and young?

Thought No.3. Better physical and mental health, wellness and perhaps longevity?

A further question then crossed my mind as I was doing my 5km endurance swim after brunch.

When I graduated in my early 20s, Thoughts No.1 and 2 were largely preoccupying my daily life affairs. Now in my 30s, Thought No.3 seems to be gaining traction as the key and real meaning of life.

I am wondering if all my thoughts on meaning of life will evolve further, especially when I hit my 40s, 50s, 60s and beyond.

I can only postulate that once I am in my late 50s or early 60s, I would probably develop health issues (like most humans do) and also witnessing friends, relatives and senior family members passing away. (Or maybe I will be the one to go first if I develop terminal illnesses?)

So, what will be my post 40s, 50s or 60s meaning of life, especially after retirement and loss of career identity and meaning?

Any thoughts or life experiences to share on this rather philosophical notion on the meaning of life?
my meaning of life is this
0ca16d_a310463ec8a54b80bf5e4566358db1eb~mv2.gif

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Longevity is overrated so I wouldn't worry too much about trying to achieve it.

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
In 40s, for men we are at our peak of sex and career life. In 50s, health issues do set in, the most noticeable is 老花眼, some.high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol etc. In the 60s wondering when I will kick the bucket and just nudge myself along daily. Any older you got to ask my boss mentor @glockman for his masterclass physical and spiritual guidance :biggrin:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
In 40s, for men we are at our peak of sex and career life. In 50s, health issues do set in, the most noticeable is 老花眼, some.high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol etc. In the 60s wondering when I will kick the bucket and just nudge myself along daily. Any older you got to ask my boss mentor @glockman for his masterclass physical and spiritual guidance :biggrin:
老花眼, check!
high blood pressure. check!
diabetes. half check!
high cholesterol, maybe check!
etc. check!

Gettin' old is hell. :frown: :biggrin: