• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

VERY VERY INPORTANT NEWS: New Water Exposed!! Si Liao Lah!

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
For you and Trout , what level of pressure do we require for the filtration. Because one snag I had but never had time to resolve was discuss heat to pressure conversion. Currently, they already have micro-filtration units that can run in homes. The problem is the brochure specs from Germany were vague and I have reservations, as I do with micro-trigeneration units in Japan that cost a bomb and can generate little based on the maximum input.

I worked with Zeeweed hollow fibres modules (From Canada, but got acquired by GE), Weise flat sheet UF modules (this is from Germany) before, and they both use suction-based filtration methods, normal operating pressure is around -3 psig (vaccum). That's very low compared to RO (a few hundred atms of pressure).

MF/UF operating costs are definitely not high these days.

With regards to power to supply these systems, haha, I always thought you can rely on the power mains Singapore has...afterall, total combined generation capacity of the three power companies are >300% of what we need (I got this figure in 2004 from a senior personnel in Singapore Power, so not sure if this is still valid now.).

Cheers,
Trout

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yup, precisely my concerns. The other way to get round loading on roofs is to store below ground of HDBs. I am seriously not sure what they run underground in Singapore and also the construction costs and complications of having underground or basement tanks. It will of course solve issues of power equipment installation.

Well, given that Singapore is currently pumping water up the HDBs to store in the water tanks on top to act as water towers (I think this is true for the older flats beyond 10 storeys, not sure if its still the case now)...the miniature plants to supply could be coupled with those storage tanks.

Please note that I mentioned nothing so far about decentralized WWTP for municipal waste water, only decentralized wastewater treatment for specialty waste streams from heavy industry, pharma and other industries with exotic and funky stuff inside their wastewater, before they discharge it to join the municipal wastewater streams (or if they could get it to a high enough quality for re-use, to re-use it within their own process).

Municipal wastewater is easier to treat as its about the same composition from every household, block, neighbourhood, town. Makes more sense to use 1-2 centralized plant to take advantage of the economies of scale, since the water is already fairly high in COD, and we already got a newly constructed Deep Tunnel Sewerage System (DTSS) that requires no pumping built (or in the process of building).

Kinda have to oversize the centralized WWTPs a bit for the diurnal effect, but I think the DTSS system already buffers a huge chunk of that diurnal effect given its high volume (and generally empty space between the diurnal peaks)...

Last edited:

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
apart from the extra (high) cost of material for last-mile double piping at homes and offices which i have mentioned in an earlier post, there are maintenance and power requirement issues. for a distillation system to be installed on the roof of a hdb block or any large office building to support the drinking and cooking habits of a few hundred souls, you will need a huge boiling capacity, storage before distillation, storage after distillation and post carbon or coconut-based filters to remove any traces of violatile organic compounds (vocs) that are carried over from the boiling and condensation processes.

:biggrin:

<style></style>Ah,I see.So the cost kills the idea eh.Again thinking out of the box.If its so difficult and costly to build a portable water purification system for portable water on block by block basis.Why not put one in in each and every home?...I mean like how you purify your own drinking water at home.There are already plenty of home based water purifiers available commercially at various prices.If this govt can build expensive useless bomb shelters in each and every HDB pigeon holes.I don't see why PUB cannot do the same for portable water at minimal cost in each and ever home.Do we now have a solution(pun intended) ?

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
The technology was never Singapore Singapore to begin with. We took Japanese and US technology but did better at business marketing. If I remember correctly, the US Army was motivated to convert pee into water in desert condition, much like Dune.

The bottom line is poor sinkies are being used as guinea-pigs for PAP initiated commercial ventures.I have this gut feeling PAP is already experimenting with Newater pumped directly into some of our homes.They won't tell us even if they did right?

I speculate residents in Jurong are now drinking and bathing Newater pumped directly into their homes.

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
<style></style>Ah,I see.So the cost kills the idea eh.Again thinking out of the box.If its so difficult and costly to build a portable water purification system for portable water on block by block basis.Why not put one in in each and every home?...I mean like how you purify your own drinking water at home.There are already plenty of home based water purifiers available commercially at various prices.If this govt can build expensive useless bomb shelters in each and every HDB pigeon holes.I don't see why PUB cannot do the same for portable water at minimal cost in each and ever home.Do we now have a solution(pun intended) ?

Well, its probably more expensive to do what you mentioned (home-based water purifiers) than a 40 ft shipping container style miniature treatment plant.

Cheers,
Trout

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, its probably more expensive to do what you mentioned (home-based water purifiers) than a 40 ft shipping container style miniature treatment plant.

Cheers,
Trout

<style></style>Ok,I was staying in a kampung in a friends home for about 10days in Malaysia.True every home had their running water supplied by their local municipality.Presumably from a water treatment plant which is just as good as Singapore's.But nobody drinks out of the tap.Most boil their drinking water and than put them in a fridge..But my friend had this water purifier.No electricity.Works on gravity.Cost about Rm 50 ,about Sing$20 or so.Only the filter needs to be changed every year or so.Perhaps it could cost S10/--

So please tell me.Is having a home based water purifier that costly?

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
<style></style>Ok,I was staying in a kampung in a friends home for about 10days in Malaysia.True every home had their running water supplied by their local municipality.Presumably from a water treatment plant which is just as good as Singapore's.But nobody drinks out of the tap.Most boil their drinking water and than put them in a fridge..But my friend had this water purifier.No electricity.Works on gravity.Cost about Rm 50 ,about Sing$20 or so.Only the filter needs to be changed every year or so.Perhaps it could cost S10/--

So please tell me.Is having a home based water purifier that costly?

sounds like an activated carbon filter. Normally recommended change period for such is every 3-4 months depending on intensity of use. And it doesn't get rid of microbes, but ingesting some bugs now and then builds your immune system. :smile:

Cheers,
Trout

Leegimeremover

Alfrescian
Loyal
worked with Zeeweed hollow fibres modules (From Canada, but got acquired by GE), Weise flat sheet UF modules (this is from Germany)
> Yes GE is really pretty smart. They made the Germans jump when GE bought over Jenbacher, the pride of German CHP. I remember some Germans boasting about superior German CHP technology and Jenbacher but became very unhappy when it was mentioned the USA GE bought them.

Great! At -3 psig, if the HDB block of people are not pharmaceutical consuming junkies, this will work pretty well.

>three power companies are >300% of what we need

You are right. You do not need that senior guy to tell you that. Look at the installed power generation capacity and the actual power production, we see the word "idiot" all over. While propaganda talks about productivity, this is not efficient from the point of over capacity and from the point of conversion efficiency, this is an issue, depending on the combustion fuel type generator.
While propaganda boasts about cogeneration efficiency based on brochure and textbook figures, generators operating far below capacity gives very very different conversion efficiencies. I remember that is indicated in good power generation reference books, in simple language. Why do you think we happily sold power generation plants to, I believe, both the Chinese and Japanese?

Leegimeremover

Alfrescian
Loyal
sounds like an activated carbon filter. Normally recommended change period for such is every 3-4 months depending on intensity of use. And it doesn't get rid of microbes, but ingesting some bugs now and then builds your immune system. :smile:

Cheers,
Trout

One of the reasons why people are very weak to is due too much antibiotic consumption. Antibiotics kills everything of the good bad, and ugly of bacteria in your body, which we need. Still, zap the suckers with UV before I drink my Singapore Chateau Evian with a slice of cheese.

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember that is indicated in good power generation reference books, in simple language. Why do you think we happily sold power generation plants to, I believe, both the Chinese and Japanese?

One of the reasons why people are very weak to is due too much antibiotic consumption. Antibiotics kills everything of the good bad, and ugly of bacteria in your body, which we need. Still, zap the suckers with UV before I drink my Singapore Chateau Evian with a slice of cheese.

optimal efficiency for power generation turbines are generally around 80% of fully capacity - rough rule of thumb from my pinch analysis process integration course.

Singapore actually has a pretty severe case of drug resistant microbes because our GPs pretty much prescribe antibiotics for anything you see a GP for.

I was involved in medical manpower planning for essentially all the regular, NSF and NS-active physicians when I was in NS between 2004-2006, from that stint I realised vancomycin-resistant enterococci (VRE) and methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) outbreaks were occurring frequently in our hospitals.

That VRE outbreak in SGH in March 2005 essentially stopped all elective surgeries in SGH for 1 month, and most surgeons there were essentially twiddling their thumbs for a month. Imagine this becoming more frequent in the future as more and more bacteria turn antibiotic-resistant.

Vancomycin & methicillin are two of the strongest antibiotics we have which are not toxic to humans. So we got a real problem coming soon if more microbes start becoming resistant to them.

Concerned,
Trout

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You back in SV? looking for help to get $$ and place to started up. Got any leads? Everyone was begging for $$ when I was there in May-June, didn't seem like a good time to start-up now.

Cheers,
Trout

bunch of vc's and headhunters are looking for "talent" in the android mobile business to be based in palo alto, around sandhill and pagemill roads. much money is being poured into the next iphone wannabe. not much money now on other stuff.

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
bunch of vc's and headhunters are looking for "talent" in the android mobile business to be based in palo alto, around sandhill and pagemill roads. much money is being poured into the next iphone wannabe. not much money now on other stuff.

My other partner-in-crime's dad is working at Kleiner-Perkins, and still not very useful in helping us grab $$. Even a MIT(BS)-Stanford(PhD) materials engineering pedigree doesn't seem to work any magic.

One thing I got away from that month in SV is that most of the VCs really dunno what they are pouring their $$ into most of the time, hahaha.

Cheers,
Trout

Leegimeremover

Alfrescian
Loyal
My other partner-in-crime's dad is working at Kleiner-Perkins, and still not very useful in helping us grab $$. Even a MIT(BS)-Stanford(PhD) materials engineering pedigree doesn't seem to work any magic.

One thing I got away from that month in SV is that most of the VCs really dunno what they are pouring their $$ into most of the time, hahaha.

Cheers,
Trout

You are right about the VCs. I saw KPCB in action when searching for VCs in Beijing. KPKB is the word. Looking at their seed funding, I was laughing. Looking at the Cheena American whose f-ed Chinese and cultural understanding that the person possessed, I was laughing in the background. Well, free paid tour to meet the best of the best in China and go back to USA to brag, why not?