• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

VERY VERY INPORTANT NEWS: New Water Exposed!! Si Liao Lah!

Tommyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mine is Novita brand, not sure if it is still selling in the market, abt $100. If not found in Singapore market, perhaps you can look out in the internet. I'm previously in the water treatment projects. No one can determine the long term effect of chlorine & hormones in the water supply. One is added to kill germs and the other is not removable in filtration process. Have a good thought. Good luck.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
The more important substance not filtered, I heard, is bio-Hormones from human shit.

Goh Meng Seng

Leegimeremover

Alfrescian
Loyal
The more important substance not filtered, I heard, is bio-Hormones from human shit.

Goh Meng Seng

Be very careful of what you say as a political figure. Are you saying that RO membrane technologies cannot rid bio-hormones or traditional sewage treatment cannot rid bio-hormones? Understand in most OECD countries, sewage treatment and industrial water treatment is meant for discharge into water channels after conforming to water quality standards that do not include many pharmaceutical products and hormones in the criteria.

By being unclear, you could be equated to superstitious religious leaders who tell you HIV can penetrate a proper un-compromised condom. The PAP may be a less than honest party, but do not twist scientific fact the wrong way for political mileage. The right question to ask is what do end-users get in terms of water quality. Fresh fish caught does not mean that it will be fresh, free of contaminants when it reaches your table, even if the journey from the sea to your table is 1 hour, depending on handling.

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
Be very careful of what you say as a political figure. Are you saying that RO membrane technologies cannot rid bio-hormones or traditional sewage treatment cannot rid bio-hormones? Understand in most OECD countries, sewage treatment and industrial water treatment is meant for discharge into water channels after conforming to water quality standards that do not include many pharmaceutical products and hormones in the criteria.

By being unclear, you could be equated to superstitious religious leaders who tell you HIV can penetrate a proper un-compromised condom. The PAP may be a less than honest party, but do not twist scientific fact the wrong way for political mileage. The right question to ask is what do end-users get in terms of water quality. Fresh fish caught does not mean that it will be fresh, free of contaminants when it reaches your table, even if the journey from the sea to your table is 1 hour, depending on handling.

I say old chap. Very sound arguments.

Agree with you that irregardless of MIW or oppositions, if say or do wrong things; then must kenna hatam.

You write the queen's english. Ning pei from Hock Lam Street Secondary how?

Black2545

Alfrescian
Loyal
O.k. when you say "Catchment areas", mean Water Tank at the Roof Level? where the Few Top Level residents use the water for Drinking & Cooking?:confused:

I think there was a period of time, a couple of years back when those who keep fishes at home as pets noticed their fishes keep dying.

Back then, it was the craze for arowana and discus.

I was keeping puffers back then and had some issues too.

Shortly after, they introduced us to NEWater and much later PUP acknowledged that have been putting NEWater into our catchment areas.

Last edited:

Black2545

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the German new technology Can't clean our NewWater, than… is there any point to get a home filters? :( Unless the "Contamination" is only happen locally at certain places, area, zone, Block, Unit. Water Pip. for-example: Water Tank at Roof Top Level.?

i do advise pple to install filters at home.

laidback

Alfrescian
Loyal
Newater forms a very small percentage of our potable water supply. Read the excerpt from PUB:

We will continue to use NEWater for direct non-potable purpose by industries, commercial buildings, etc. As for Indirect Potable Use (IPU), 3 million gallons a day of NEWater, about 1% of the total volume of water consumed daily, has been blended with raw water in our reservoirs. The amount will be increased progressively to reach about 2.5% of the total volume of water consumed daily by 2011.

Tommyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Newater forms a very small percentage of our potable water supply. Read the excerpt from PUB:

We will continue to use NEWater for direct non-potable purpose by industries, commercial buildings, etc. As for Indirect Potable Use (IPU), 3 million gallons a day of NEWater, about 1% of the total volume of water consumed daily, has been blended with raw water in our reservoirs. The amount will be increased progressively to reach about 2.5% of the total volume of water consumed daily by 2011.

If the confidents level is high, why ??? PUB need to increased progressively to reach 2.5 or maybe 5% of daily water consumed. Must as well pipe 100% of NewWater (Processed Shitwater).

All it takes is only a big blunder for a mis-ops or sabotage to put the entire population into the harm way of becoming very sick. It is well documented that MTBE, which stands for methyl tertiary-butyl ether (Petrol addictives) do leak into water course & carried over to pipe water supply, MTBE cannot be treated in convention filtration process likewise Bio-hormones.

Article & link on MTBE
http://www.dwi.gov.uk/consumer/consumer/mtbe.htm

Another site & Article: Are There Hormones in Your Drinking Water?
http://sg.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A3xsfN...mR0ZnZkBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNwRjb2xvA3NnMQR2dGlkAw

We should ask our local water supplier if any testing done on hormones?

Have a good thought!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink::eek:

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is quite disheartening that as a First World country Singapore's people are going to end up drinking processed water that partially comes from the toilets and the sewage. We bet the Malaysians, Indonesians and the rest of developing countries in the region are laughing at you all for your predicament.

In the end, Singapore is still the country with those most advanced economy in Southeast Asia but, who really wins, and who really loses?

We strongly believe that for the good of the people Singapore should go back to the negotiating table as regards to this water issue.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is quite disheartening that as a First World country Singapore's people are going to end up drinking processed water that partially comes from the toilets and the sewage. We bet the Malaysians, Indonesians and the rest of developing countries in the region are laughing at you all for your predicament.

In the end, Singapore is still the country with those most advanced economy in Southeast Asia but, who really wins, and who really loses?

We strongly believe that for the good of the people Singapore should go back to the negotiating table as regards to this water issue.

Seems like no one in here bothers to actually look up anything before opening their big mouth

I am fairly certain London can also be considered more advance then Indonesia or Malaysia

Some locations using reclaimed water

Indirect potable use

* London,United Kingdom
* Singapore (where it is branded as NEWater)
* Payson, AZ
* The Torreele project in the Veurne coastal region of Belgium, which began operating in 2002
* Virginia Occoquan Reservoir - The Upper Occoquan Sewage Authority plant discharges its highly treated output to supply roughly 20% of the inflow into the Occoquan Reservoir, which provides drinking water used by the Fairfax County Water Authority - one of the three major water providers in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.

Proposed

In some places, reclaimed water has been proposed for either potable or non-potable use:

* South East Queensland, Australia (planned for potable use as of late 2008)
* Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia (proposed in January 2007 as a backup source of potable water)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reclaimed_water#Indirect_potable_use_2

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seems like no one in here bothers to actually look up anything before opening their big mouth

I am fairly certain London can also be considered more advance then Indonesia or Malaysia

No, you are wrong. People should use their heads more before opening their big mouths too.

We are looking mainly at the Southeast Asian context. Furthermore, not every industrialized country in Europe and all the States of America use potable water actively for consumption too. Not even the whole of Canada (Toronto where we are from), Central and Latin America as well. Please educate yourself and you will be free.

AGAIN, in case you have literacy issues, we reiterate that Malaysia and Indonesia and the rest of the Malay Archipelago do not need to consume recycled toilet water. Singaporeans are the only losers in this region. Be brave and fact up to it without trying to dodge what is most evident for all to see.

Last edited:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No, you are wrong. People should use their heads more before opening their big mouths too.

We are looking at the Southeast Asian context. Furthermore, not every industriailized country in Europe and all the States of America use potable water actively for consumption.

Did U even bother to read my post?

Which part of London, United Kingdom and Payson, AZ(Arizona is in USA btw) isn't an "industralized country in Europe and all the States of America". I'm assuming by potable U meant portable recycled water. Portable water refers to water suitable for drinking

Please check my previous post for links to those references

Last edited:

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dr. Mahathir is so naughty to have sparked off the refusal of a continual supply of water to Singapore, resorting to the latter having to force feed the people with toilet water hahaha. Admit it people!

Perhaps its not too bad to have you old people retire in Johore as proposed so you can taste some purer quality water for the last few years of your valueless lives before you knock it off for good.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Sorry, may I rephrase my writing with more precision.

The RO membrane technologies at this moment cannot rid bio-hormones. This is what I gathered. This is from expert's view, not mine. Nothing superstitious about that. Our urine also contains hormones. Some believe that sending it back to mix with natural reservoirs may rid that little part of hormones (maybe dilution?) but I am no expert. Basically in Singapore, we are treating Sewage water into New Water, isn't it? Not merely for industrial use.

RO membrane technologies exist for quite sometime now and it would be "scientific superstition" to believe that it is a l kill all, rid all kind of treatment. On a more layman's terms, if it tastes so different right from the plant and when people notice the adverse difference in using New Water to rear their fishes then I will have second thought of drinking straight from the tap.

Goh Meng Seng

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
The right question to ask is what do end-users get in terms of water quality.

I had a fairly in-depth discussion on this with one of the members of my dissertation committee previously and this is why we concluded:

Centralized water treatment isn't cost-effective, and decentralized treatment is the way to go. Why treat massive quantities of water to levels which is extremely clean, only to let it flow down near-century old leaky, degraded old pipe infrastructure which greatly diminishes its quality when it reaches your tap. 10-50% of the water pumped through the aged-mains leak into the ground and all that treatment you subject it to essentially goes to waste.

A better water treatment strategy would be to pump raw reservoir water through the aged mains and to smaller neighbourhood treatment plants where water is only treated to 3 varying standards of quality near point of use (POU) - high-grade industrial use (UF-RO-DI, Newater quality), drinking (UF- activated carbon filter) and grey water (effectively just Sand or MF-filtered - mainly for flushing, watering plants, purposes where you just need water of a okay quality etc).

Effectively you only treat enough water to sufficient standards for its final use. Certainly the amount of high quality wastage would be less.

Unfortunately, such an infrastructure would require quite an extensive re-work of our existing water infrastructure, but its mostly near the POU end. Given that we're in economic doldrums now, it'll be a nice and much needed stimulus package, if the government wants to do this. This infrastructure is also alot more labour intensive in terms of operational maintenance, which probably helps to put more people into employment. Certainly something which the EDB would like.

A similar system re-work should work for wastewater treatment infrastructure as well. Decentralize segments of the system to focus on priority points of discharge (POD), particularly those heavy/manufacturing industry and pharma production discharge points. These industries typicially discharge wastewater with high heavy metal and non-biodegradable hydrocarbon/Endocrine Disrupting Compounds(EDC) content, and its much easier to treat these sources of wastewater at point source with the appropriate wastewater treatment techniques when the pollutants are highly concentrated, rather centralizing these flows and thus greatly diluting the pollutant concentration, which makes it much harder to comprehensively treat (although dilution does hide the problem very well).

After the critical POD streams have been treated to effluent quality satisfying that of typical municipal discharge, then would it be appropriate to mix the streams for a more centralized treatment approach.

Even then, you certainly don't need to do MBR-UF-RO Newater style treatment to get the water to reclaimable quality standards. A simple UF-MBR-carbon filter configuration would get the water quality to standards good enough for reservoir storage for total recycle.

By the way, EDCs (which includes synthetic hormone equivalents, synthetic biological compound equivalents - like your sugar substitutes.) are actually not that hard to remove. You just need to adsorb them onto a highly adsorptive media, and replace the media periodically when it gets saturated.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Trout

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mine is Novita brand, not sure if it is still selling in the market, abt $100. If not found in Singapore market, perhaps you can look out in the internet. I'm previously in the water treatment projects. No one can determine the long term effect of chlorine & hormones in the water supply. One is added to kill germs and the other is not removable in filtration process. Have a good thought. Good luck.

I am using Novita too...... has 5 filters and distributor's in Tagore Lane thereabout............................. NO regret n I use it together with bio disc to energise the filtered water.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had a fairly in-depth discussion on this with one of the members of my dissertation committee previously and this is why we concluded:

Centralized water treatment isn't cost-effective, and decentralized treatment is the way to go. Why treat massive quantities of water to levels which is extremely clean, only to let it flow down near-century old leaky, degraded old pipe infrastructure which greatly diminishes its quality when it reaches your tap. 10-50% of the water pumped through the aged-mains leak into the ground and all that treatment you subject it to essentially goes to waste.

A better water treatment strategy would be to pump raw reservoir water through the aged mains and to smaller neighbourhood treatment plants where water is only treated to 3 varying standards of quality near point of use (POU) - high-grade industrial use (UF-RO-DI, Newater quality), drinking (UF- activated carbon filter) and grey water (effectively just Sand or MF-filtered - mainly for flushing, watering plants, purposes where you just need water of a okay quality etc).

Effectively you only treat enough water to sufficient standards for its final use. Certainly the amount of high quality wastage would be less.

Unfortunately, such an infrastructure would require quite an extensive re-work of our existing water infrastructure, but its mostly near the POU end. Given that we're in economic doldrums now, it'll be a nice and much needed stimulus package, if the government wants to do this. This infrastructure is also alot more labour intensive in terms of operational maintenance, which probably helps to put more people into employment. Certainly something which the EDB would like.

A similar system re-work should work for wastewater treatment infrastructure as well. Decentralize segments of the system to focus on priority points of discharge (POD), particularly those heavy/manufacturing industry and pharma production discharge points. These industries typicially discharge wastewater with high heavy metal and non-biodegradable hydrocarbon/Endocrine Disrupting Compounds(EDC) content, and its much easier to treat these sources of wastewater at point source with the appropriate wastewater treatment techniques when the pollutants are highly concentrated, rather centralizing these flows and thus greatly diluting the pollutant concentration, which makes it much harder to comprehensively treat (although dilution does hide the problem very well).

After the critical POD streams have been treated to effluent quality satisfying that of typical municipal discharge, then would it be appropriate to mix the streams for a more centralized treatment approach.

Even then, you certainly don't need to do MBR-UF-RO Newater style treatment to get the water to reclaimable quality standards. A simple UF-MBR-carbon filter configuration would get the water quality to standards good enough for reservoir storage for total recycle.

By the way, EDCs (which includes synthetic hormone equivalents, synthetic biological compound equivalents - like your sugar substitutes.) are actually not that hard to remove. You just need to adsorb them onto a highly adsorptive media, and replace the media periodically when it gets saturated.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Trout

Bagus ikan Trout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tommyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quote: [By the way, EDCs (which includes synthetic hormone equivalents, synthetic biological compound equivalents - like your sugar substitutes.) are actually not that hard to remove. You just need to adsorb them onto a highly adsorptive media, and replace the media periodically when it gets saturated.]

Bio-hormones can only be partially removed by Activited Carbon & not filtration.:cool: