• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

US Presidential Debate vs Sinkies election debate

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just watched the Obama Rommey debate. Really no holds barred and unscripted and off the cuff to and fro. The moderator also very impartial. Compare that to our election political debates....enough said!! And our political leaders are paid more than XX times Obama???? Wheres the logic?? By the way, I voted along with the 40%

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
All I heard were a myriad of platitudes about creating jobs blah blah blah. These debates are mere theatre. They serve only to entertain, not inform. :rolleyes:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just watched the Obama Rommey debate. Really no holds barred and unscripted and off the cuff to and fro. The moderator also very impartial. Compare that to our election political debates....enough said!! And our political leaders are paid more than XX times Obama???? Wheres the logic?? By the way, I voted along with the 40%

US/Europe moderator they are the best not bias to any side.
Where SG and most Asia moderator/TV are really low class por lan par.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
All I heard were a myriad of platitudes about creating jobs blah blah blah. These debates are mere theatre. They serve only to entertain, not inform. :rolleyes:

I think it was a good debate...bear in mind each candidate has to speak and rely on his own knowledge of a wide range of issues. Not sure if u put LHL or any of our Opp leaders there, u will get the same quality of debate.

Dragon8899

Alfrescian
Loyal
USA is not a true democracy.
How can it call itself a democracy when it's electorial system has two parties only - Democrats and GOP.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
How can it call itself a democracy when it's electorial system has two parties only - Democrats and GOP.

Please do some research before you make such comments. But u r right in that there r barriers to entry for new parties but they r mainly monetary. U need money to play politics in US.

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it was a good debate...bear in mind each candidate has to speak and rely on his own knowledge of a wide range of issues. Not sure if u put LHL or any of our Opp leaders there, u will get the same quality of debate.

LHL vs LTK. Both will be constantly lost for words. :biggrin:

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

How can stinkapoor be a democracy then when it's electorial system has one party only?

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal

Since you raise this issue, do you know that there are OTHER than just those 2 candidates on the US Presidential Election 2012 ballot, BUT they are not allowed to be part of the debate? The choice for American voters in Nov is not just these 2 candidates but others.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Please do some research before you make such comments. But u r right in that there r barriers to entry for new parties but they r mainly monetary. U need money to play politics in US.

Family and blood relations also help. Just like in Singapore.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since you raise this issue, do you know that there are OTHER than just those 2 candidates on the US Presidential Election 2012 ballot, BUT they are not allowed to be part of the debate? The choice for American voters in Nov is not just these 2 candidates but others.

This is called the 'illusion of choice'. Democrats or Republicans, both serve corporate interests.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is called the 'illusion of choice'. Democrats or Republicans, both serve corporate interests.

My point is that powerful institutional interests always decide on these matters, wherever it may be, i.e., in the States, the UK etc. The fact is that if the Libertarian Party candidate, Gary Johnson, whose party succeeded in getting him on the ballot nationwide was given equal status to Obama and Romney by being part of the debates, he could conceivably hive off some 5% of the vote from Romney. Now, we can't have that, can we.

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
How can stinkapoor be a democracy then when it's electorial system has one party only?

Sorry, by the definition of democracy, Peesai is a democratic coountry - there are regular elections, multiple political parties to choose from, and - ONE MAN ONE VOTE.

Unlke many countries in this world, political candidates do not "dissappear" days before polling day, nor police/army block one group from public speeches, neither are there chaotic riots runninng up to elections. Singapore's politics is above ground and all laws and changes to them are done within legal limits.

If there is anything cocked up - its the voters.

Cheers!

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Read my sig bro.......and yes the 60.1% are just as culpable

Sorry, by the definition of democracy, Peesai is a democratic coountry - there are regular elections, multiple political parties to choose from, and - ONE MAN ONE VOTE.

Unlke many countries in this world, political candidates do not "dissappear" days before polling day, nor police/army block one group from public speeches, neither are there chaotic riots runninng up to elections. Singapore's politics is above ground and all laws and changes to them are done within legal limits.

If there is anything cocked up - its the voters.

Cheers!

Last edited: