• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Uniquely Singapore Politics (Part 2) – The Sounds of Silence

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In an earlier post, I criticised the Workers’ Party (WP) for refusing to take a stand on contentious issues. Many have commented on the post, for which I am grateful. Some agreed with me, some offered excuses on behalf of the WP, others resorted to insults. But nobody, not a single soul, disagreed with the assertion that the WP runs away from difficult issues.

Some have even highlighted other matters the WP has kept mum on, such as the hacking of government websites and where the government should draw the line on welfare and social assistance programs.

So what would the WP say about my post? The ST on 18 November 2013 reported that it was considering whether to respond. Three weeks have passed, and not a squeak from them.

How far will the WP run?

In October this year, the Singapore Forum on Politics and Policy organised a panel discussion entitled "IS IT SAFE TO SAY... THERE IS FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION IN SINGAPORE". One would have thought that this was the kind of platform the opposition would jump at to share their views. The organisers invited a representative each from the PAP and the WP. I agreed to participate. Two days before the event, I received a call saying that it was cancelled.

Why?

The WP declined to send a representative.

Last Saturday’s edition of the ST referred to my post and noted that Gerald Giam had recently spoken in Parliament about healthcare. But that misses the point. The crux of Gerald’s speech was that Government should spend more on healthcare. That is precisely the kind of safe position the WP takes because it carries little risk of losing votes.

Let me be clear – there is nothing wrong with asking the Government to do more. But a call to “do more” does not require any genius. The more difficult questions include “how much more?”, “where is that more going to come from?”, “will there be better outcomes?” and “are there any down sides to the government doing more?”. These are necessary to test the feasibility and rigour of any proposal. Unless you offer your views on these questions as well, you are giving the misleading impression that there are simple solutions to every problem.

Opposition parties have long campaigned on the premise that it is unhealthy to have only one party in Parliament, and that it is good for alternative views to be expressed. This is a reasonable argument. But it presupposes that the Opposition, once elected, will pull their weight and give serious alternative views, especially on difficult issues. A multi-party system only works if there is a genuine clash of ideas, and the pros and cons of policies and alternatives are scrutinised.

Singapore is at a critical phase of her development. We will have to confront serious and difficult issues which affect our social compact. Important policies on healthcare, education, welfare, taxation and redistribution are currently being re-examined. The interests of Singaporeans are not advanced when the Opposition’s instinct is to say only what they think people want to hear, and then retreat from difficult questions. Is this how a “First World Parliament” operates? In truth, we do not know how one functions in the real world because the WP has declined to identify any. Just like Humpty Dumpty in "Through The Looking Glass", when the WP uses a word, it means just what it chooses it to mean.

Benjamin Disraeli once said that silence is the mother of truth. We now know the truth about WP’s brand of politics. Singaporeans are best served by politicians who make a stand, not those who sit on fences. Because we all know what happened to Humpty Dumpty.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/hri-kumar/uniquely-singapore-politics-part-2-the-sounds-of-silence/628550650524869

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Silence is Golden...whatever the PxP lackeys can say..many will not trust them anymore....

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In an earlier post, I criticised the Workers’ Party (WP) for refusing to take a stand on contentious issues. Many have commented on the post, for which I am grateful. Some agreed with me, some offered excuses on behalf of the WP, others resorted to insults. But nobody, not a single soul, disagreed with the assertion that the WP runs away from difficult issues.

The PAP also does not have a stand on all issues.
http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?169783-Issues-PAP-have-no-stand-on
The point is not to say that two wrongs make a right. The point is that no one can have a stand on everything. Does he want WP to set up a base station so they can comment on the 105 news reports today without sleep?

So what would the WP say about my post? The ST on 18 November 2013 reported that it was considering whether to respond. Three weeks have passed, and not a squeak from them.

The attention seeker hasn't realized that there are 2 reasons why WP will not respond to him. First is to deny him the attention he so seeks. The second is not to allow PAP to dictate the frequency of when WP speaks. Or maybe he has and is frustrated that his plan didn't work.

In October this year, the Singapore Forum on Politics and Policy organised a panel discussion entitled "IS IT SAFE TO SAY... THERE IS FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION IN SINGAPORE". One would have thought that this was the kind of platform the opposition would jump at to share their views. The organisers invited a representative each from the PAP and the WP. I agreed to participate. Two days before the event, I received a call saying that it was cancelled. Why? The WP declined to send a representative.

Why has the PAP never sent a representative to TOC's F2F forums and many of the NGO forums? At least these organizations were gall enough to proceed without the PAP, because they always anticipate PAP to do that.

The crux of Gerald’s speech was that Government should spend more on healthcare. That is precisely the kind of safe position the WP takes because it carries little risk of losing votes.

And what happened during the times when the opposition rebutted the PAP robustly, and were accused of opposing for the sake of opposing? Damn if you do damn if you don't has to be the best art of PAP.

Let me be clear – there is nothing wrong with asking the Government to do more. But a call to “do more” does not require any genius.

In case he hasn't realized, asking WP to speak up more also does not require any genius.

Important policies on healthcare, education, welfare, taxation and redistribution are currently being re-examined.

The re-examination was due to the mistakes and slow reactions to changes by the PAP, leading to 4 election disappointments. The PAP which claims it has enough talent and never needed the opposition should start working on these problems instead of busying themselves with the opposition which they claimed has "no talent".

And why would any PAP MP in the right mind want WP to speak up? To embarrass them? Or to ask WP to solve the problems they created while they themselves earn the salaries?

Last edited:

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nobody owes this wanker a reply to anything on his Facebook. The WP is following their own path. As long as the government is seen to be doing a piss poor job on may fronts , the WP need not say anything. If they want to hear from the WP then call an election. THe WP does speak in parliament. Since they are there they use that forum. Will the PAP agree to a debate with the opposition at election time like they do in other countries. No, they won't.

Last edited:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
This MF Injun aspiring to challenge Chan Chun Sing for PM lah. Next election must make sure his face is ground into the m&d.

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nobody owes this wanker a reply to anything on his Facebook. The WP is following their own path. As long as the government is seen to be doing a piss poor job on may fronts , the WP need not say anything. If they want to hear from the WP then call an election. THe WP does speak in parliament. Since they are there they use that forum. Will the PAP agree to a debate with the opposition at election time like they do in other countries. No, they won't.

Not only that, I am throwing that mealy mouthing bastard into my ignore bin so as not to see anymore of his fucking rubbish

jw5

Loyal
Not only that, I am throwing that mealy mouthing bastard into my ignore bin so as not to see anymore of his fucking rubbish

Not having a facebook account is one huge fantastic ignore bin. :p

Btw, this chap sounds like he is not satisfied with his current role and political achievements.
Similar to those wannabes who are waiting for their invites to the tea-party, which unfortunately for them will never come. :wink:

MBSSLOTS

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Not having a facebook account is one huge fantastic ignore bin. :p

Btw, this chap sounds like he is not satisfied with his current role and political achievements.
Similar to those wannabes who are waiting for their invites to the tea-party, which unfortunately for them will never come. :wink:

Agree :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
and the people bow and pray ?:confused: to the neon gods they made ?:confused:

and whispered in the sounds of Silence..."And in the naked light I saw Ten thousand people, maybe more
People voting without speaking, People hearing without listening, People marking votes that voices never share, and no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence"

ha ha ha ha

Last edited: