• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

UEFA Champions League 2011/2012

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Paul Scholes dismisses Manchester City's future Champions League ambitions

The veteran Manchester United midfielder argues that their bitter rivals were undone this season in Europe's premier competition due to their 'arrogance'

Feb 16, 2012 8:20:00 AM

By James McManus

162589hp2.jpg
Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes doesn't believe that rivals Manchester City are capable of winning the Champions League within the next five years.

The 37 year-old sensationally returned to the Manchester United squad during last month's FA Cup game against City, after retiring from the game altogether at the end of last season.

And in an interview with Manchester United fanzine United We Stand, Scholes revealed that he hopes that Manchester City won't win the Champions League in the coming seasons.

"I hope not. And I don't think they will," Scholes told the fanzine

"City have found how difficult it can be this year."

Manchester City found the Champions League tough going on their debut this season, as they struggled to get out of a group containing Napoli, Bayern Munich and Villarreal.

They eventually went on to finish third in their group, and Scholes reckons a lot of this is down to the team's attitude to the competition.

He added: "I think they went into the Champions League a bit arrogant. They're playing against proper teams. It's not like the Europa League."

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bayer Leverkusen director Rudi Voller slams Friedrich & Kadlec for swapping shirts with Barcelona star Messi

The former Germany international has expressed his dismay with the defenders' behaviour, and has confiscated their memento from their Champions League clash

Feb 16, 2012 9:51:00 AM

By Stefan Coerts

167954hp2.jpg
Bayer Leverkusen sporting director Rudi Voller has hit out at Manuel Friedrich and Michal Kadlec for their behaviour during Tuesday's Champions League round of 16 match at home against Barcelona.

With Leverkusen trailing 1-0 after 45 minutes of play in the first-leg encounter, Kadlec approached Barcelona star Lionel Messi at half-time to swap jerseys.

However, Kadlec's souvenir was then taken off him by Friedrich, prompting the Czech defender to again go after the Fifa Ballon d'Or winner's shirt after the final whistle.

Voller was not amused with the defenders' hunt for a piece of memorabilia, and has made it clear that both Messi jerseys will be auctioned off for charity.

"I'd say that 90 per cent of the team was focussed on the game itself. What these two did went too far. I have not spoken with them yet, but will definitely have a word with them," Voller was quoted as saying by Bild.

"I can guarantee you that both Friedrich and Kadlec will give up their jersey for charity."

Messi netted once as he helped Barcelona to a 3-1 win at the BayArena in the first leg of the Champions League tie. The return clash at Camp Nou takes place on March 7.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

165730_thumb.jpg

Inter coach Ranieri: I have to choose between playing Sneijder or using two strikers
The beleaguered coach has hinted at dropping the Netherlands international as he feels the Nerazzurri can not afford to play two strikers plus the attacking midfielder

159488_thumb.jpg

Hamsik: Chelsea clash will be the match of the year for Napoli
The 24-year-old has underlined the importance of the Champions League tie against Andre Villas-Boas's team, and played down suggestions that the English outfit is in crisis

162102_thumb.jpg

Rummenigge feels Bayern Munich star Schweinsteiger is on par with Barcelona duo Xavi & Iniesta
The Bavarians' CEO stated that the 27-year-old is of the same level as the two Spaniards, and added that winning the Champions League could be a bridge too far for his club

159558_thumb.jpg

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas sweats on late John Terry fitness test ahead of Napoli clash
The Portuguese boss has revealed that his captain will travel to Italy despite being short of minutes on the pitch after his recovery from a knee injury

151470_thumb.jpg

Zanetti urges Inter to focus on Champions League clash versus Olympique de Marseille
The Argentine skipper is eagerly anticipating Wednesday's match in France, and is keen to leave the Nerazzurri's Serie A troubles behind after a run of poor form

117598_thumb.jpg

Walter Samuel resumes Inter training
The powerful centre-back spent the past two weeks on the sidelines, but has resumed regular practice again ahead of the Nerazzurri's European fixture in France

168467_thumb.jpg

Jose Mourinho: Real Madrid must now concentrate on the Champions League
The Portuguese boss has urged his team to turn their attention to the upcoming match against CSKA Moscow after brushing aside Racing Santander on Saturday

163579_thumb.jpg

Angel Di Maria ruled out of Real Madrid’s Champions League clash against CSKA
The Argentina international has been left out of the match squad for Tuesday's game, while Lassana Diarra and Hamit Altintop are both unavailable as well

164540_thumb.jpg

Napoli star Edinson Cavani: Anything can happen against Chelsea
The Uruguay international believes his team need to go into their midweek European encounter with the right mentality against Andre Villas-Boas' men

143821_thumb.jpg

Olympique de Marseille boss Didier Deschamps expecting 'different' Inter to show up for Champions League clash
The Stade Velodrome coach has stated that, despite the Milan outfit's recent downturn in results, he is prepared for a difficult challenge against the Italians on Wednesday

167995_thumb.jpg

'Arsene Wenger has done a magnificent job and it's not time for him to go' - former Arsenal boss Bruce Rioch
Former Gunners manager backs Frenchman after Champions League drubbing in Milan and insists Rangers' financial woes justify prudent spending policy at the Emirates

150980_thumb.jpg

Shevchenko impressed with AC Milan after Arsenal victory
The former Rossoneri star was full of praise for the Serie A champions following their Champions League win on Wednesday against Arsene Wenger's men

145862_thumb.jpg

Arteta insists Arsenal can still reach Champions League quarter-finals
Spanish midfielder claims his side are still in with a shout of progression despite the heave defeat, and adds that the pitch wasn't to blame

142079_thumb.jpg

Marseille star Loic Remy to miss Champions League clash against Inter
The forward, who was heavily linked with a move to Tottenham Hotspur during the January transfer window, underwent a scan on Thursday which revealed a minor hamstring injury

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Olympique de Marseille boss Didier Deschamps expecting 'different' Inter to show up for Champions League clash

The Stade Velodrome coach has stated that, despite the Milan outfit's recent downturn in results, he is prepared for a difficult challenge against the Italians on Wednesday

Feb 18, 2012 11:31:00 AM

By Gareth McKnight

143821hp2.jpg
Didier Deschamps believes that his Olympique de Marseille team will face "a different Inter" to the one that lost 3-0 to Bologna on Friday night.

The Nerazzurri have struggled of late, dropping to sixth in Serie A, and coach Claudio Ranieri has found himself under increasing pressure, a poor result against the Rossoblu only compounding matters for the Milanese giants.

Despite Inter not being at their best in recent matches, the French trainer, who attended the game at San Siro, is prepared for a tough test at the Stade Velodrome on Wednesday.

“It is always better to see these matches live,” Deschamps told Sky Sport Italia.

“I saw Inter’s recent outings on television, but now I need to see their latest moves with my own eyes.

“Inter have had problems in the last few rounds and by now I think the Scudetto is only a mirage.

"However, on Wednesday I expect to see a different Inter in Marseille, a team that will be fired up and fight hard for the result," he predicted.

The former Juventus player and coach also spoke of his former club, praising the work that Antonio Conte is doing in Turin.

“I am happy for Conte and he certainly has the advantage of knowing the club and its mentality," the Frenchman observed.

"They invested heavily and are doing great work. Let us also not forget the stadium, as having such a fiery atmosphere is without doubt a big advantage."

Meanwhile, Marseille will be without key striker Loic Remy for the first leg of their duel with Inter due to injury, and Deschamps admitted that the attacker's absence is a blow.

"We have lost a good player who is a very important feature in the team, especially at the highest level; I have no other players with his speed," he told France Football.

"We will play differently. He is a very important player for the team. With the decisive matches approaching, I would have preferred to have him.

"Hopefully he will come back to the competition in three weeks; he is someone very important."

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mazzarri: Chelsea will be a 'terrible test' for Napoli

The Italian coach is wary of the threat posed by Andre Villas-Boas' side and believes that their poor Premier League form will have little bearing on the Champions League match-up

Feb 19, 2012 8:37:00 AM

By Luis Mira

168075hp2.jpg
Napoli coach Walter Mazzarri is wary that his side face a tough task to move past Chelsea in the Champions League round of 16.

The Serie A club host the Blues on Tuesday in the first leg of their tie after surving the 'Group of Death', progressing from Group C with Bayern Munich at the expense of Manchester City and Villarreal.

Napoli head into the home leg of the knockout fixture on the back of a convincing 3-0 victory at Fiorentina, but Mazzarri remained coy about his side's chances against Chelsea after the game.

"I do not agree that Napoli are favourites," the 50-year-old told Sky Sport Italia. "Chelsea want to do well in the Champions League and they have players who are accustomed to matches like these.

"It will be a terrible test, in order to pass it we must do something extraordinary."

The Italian coach played down Chelsea's four-game winless streak as well as reports suggesting that manager Andre Villas-Boas has a fractious relationship with his squad.

"Even if there were problems, all it takes to reassemble a group is one match," Mazzarri insisted.

"Every player wants to do well in Europe, champions and great players can make the difference at this level."

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Inter coach Ranieri: I have to choose between playing Sneijder or using two strikers

The beleaguered coach has hinted at dropping the Netherlands international as he feels the Nerazzurri can not afford to play two strikers plus the attacking midfielder

Feb 20, 2012 10:11:00 AM

By Stefan Coerts

165730hp2.jpg
Inter coach Claudio Ranieri could decide to drop Wesley Sneijder from the Nerazzurri's starting XI for the upcoming Champions League round of 16 first-leg clash against Olympique de Marseille on Wednesday.

Ranieri feels that the 2010 Champions League winners are too vulnerable in midfield if they play with Sneijder and two strikers, and will have to make a choice between either fielding only one forward or dropping the Dutchman.

"I will have to make a choice here. We can not afford to play with Sneijder and two attackers, because we then miss someone in midfield," Ranieri said to La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Sneijder is not a problem for Inter though, but a solution instead. We will have to use him at the right moment. We can pick ourselves up again in the match against Marseille."

Wednesday's match at the Stade Velodrome kicks off at 20.45CET.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cesare Prandelli: AC Milan, Inter and Napoli can all make the next round of the Champions League

The 54-year-old talked up the chances of all three Serie A representatives in Europe's most prestigious club competition and also mentioned controversial striker Mario Balotelli

Feb 18, 2012 1:15:00 PM

By Gareth McKnight

143431hp2.jpg
Italy coach Cesare Pandelli believes that AC Milan, Inter and Napoli can all progress to the Champions League quarter-finals.

The Rossoneri already have one foot in the last eight after a dominant 4-0 first-leg win over Arsenal at San Siro, while Claudio Ranieri's men are set to take on Olympique de Marseille and Walter Mazzarri's side face Chelsea.

Prandelli has talked up the Serie A representatives’ chances and feels there could be three Italian teams in the next round.

"I am confident in all three Italian teams making the next round of the Champions League," the trainer told Tuttosport.

"Milan have virtually guaranteed their place in the quarter-finals after their game against Arsenal.

"Inter are having a season of ups and downs and lately have gone through a difficult time but the players are able to revive the Nerazzurri.

"In a one-off match Napoli can beat anyone; today all clubs are reluctant to play Walter Mazzarri's team in a decisive game," he stated.

When quizzed about Euro 2012 and the inclusion of controversial striker Mario Balotelli, Prandelli was quick to defend the Manchester City attacker.

"Let him mature, he is only 21. Unfortunately, in Italy there is no time for young people to mature.

"If you score a goal, you are a champion and they put you on the front page. Then the week after scoring a goal if you say something wrong then you're immature.

"In Italy it is difficult to handle the psychological pressure," he concluded.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

163001_thumb.jpg

Walter Mazzarri: Napoli are not favourites against Chelsea
The 50-year-old feels complacency could prove detrimental to his team and has urged the San Paolo faithful to create an intimidating atmosphere on Tuesday

149127_thumb.jpg

Fabio Coentrao: Real Madrid are one of the favourites to win the Champions League
The Portugal international says he is prepared to play in any position and sees los Blancos as prime candidates to win Europe's most prestigious club competition

146503_thumb.jpg

CSKA Moscow coach Slutsky: I would like to eliminate Real Madrid first and then Barcelona
The trainer of the Russian side stated that his team's goal is to knock out the Spanish capital club from Europe's elite competition, and then do the same to the Catalans

168467_thumb.jpg

Mourinho hints his Real Madrid future does not depend on winning the Champions League
The ex-Chelsea boss stated that his decisions to leave Porto and Inter were not prompted by European triumph, and added that his team will continue to give their all in La Liga

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Walter Mazzarri: Napoli are not favourites against Chelsea

The 50-year-old feels complacency could prove detrimental to his team and has urged the San Paolo faithful to create an intimidating atmosphere on Tuesday

Feb 20, 2012 2:42:00 PM

By Enis Koylu

163001hp2.jpg
Napoli coach Walter Mazzarri has told his players that they must not take their status as favourites for granted when they face Chelsea in their Champions League round of 16 tie.

The two sides square off in the first leg on Tuesday evening, with many tipping the Serie A outfit for a win against Andre Villas-Boas' floundering side.

However, Mazzarri has urged caution, saying that complacency is an issue that will affect his players, should they believe the hype.

"It is funny that we are considered favourites, but we are proud of that. However, there will be trouble if we really believe that we are. We are not favourites," he said during a press conference on Monday.

"My players have impressed me with the way they have grown over the last two seasons."

The 50-year-old went on to urge his men to give their best possible performance, saying: "We know of the difficulties that we will come up against.

"If I look at their squad then we have to be alert to all of their players. It's important that we don't concede."

Mazzarri will watch the game from the stands, having been dismissed in Napoli's final group game against Villarreal, but has promised that Nicolo Frustalupi will be a competent replacement.

"Frustalupi will be on the bench. He's a really good coach and I guarantee that he's tactically better than me."

Finally, Mazzarri called upon the club's fans to create an atmosphere similar to the one that helped his side overcome Manchester City in the group stage.

"There will be the same inferno that was witnessed against Manchester City. Our fans are the best when they stay close to the team. This will be an advantage for us."

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

CSKA Moscow coach Slutsky: I would like to eliminate Real Madrid first and then Barcelona

The trainer of the Russian side stated that his team's goal is to knock out the Spanish capital club from Europe's elite competition, and then do the same to the Catalans

Feb 20, 2012 12:20:00 PM

By Stefan Coerts

146503hp2.jpg
CSKA Moscow coach Leonid Slutsky has expressed his ambition to eliminate both Real Madrid and Barcelona from the Champions League this term.

The Russian giants are currently preparing for the first leg of their round of 16 tie against the Santiago Bernabeu side, and the trainer is hopeful of getting a good result in Moscow in order to keep the tie alive.

"Our objective is to eliminate Real Madrid first, and then beat Barcelona," Slutsky was quoted as saying by AS.

"I realise that it will be a surprise if we beat Madrid, though. Any result that keeps the tie open would be favourable for us.

"Real Madrid have played very well in recent weeks, and I hope that they don't play that well against us. They are very strong going forward, and always have the desire to win."

Tuesday evening's match between CSKA and Madrid kicks off on 18.00CET at the Luzhniki Stadium.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea could risk John Terry and drop Fernando Torres for Napoli game - report

Andre Villas-Boas could ask his captain to play through the pain in the Champions League but the team philosophy will not be altered for the misfiring striker

Feb 20, 2012 10:29:00 AM

167920hp2.jpg
Andre Villas-Boas is expected to ask Chelsea captain John Terry to play through the pain against Napoli but will drop misfiring striker Fernando Torres for the Champions League game.

Terry returned to training last week, after three weeks out with a knee injury, but missed Saturday's 1-1 draw with Birmingham in the FA Cup and is rated as extremely doubtful for the game in Italy.

"What we are trying to do with John is to respect his importance for the team," Villas-Boas told reporters. "We will try to give him a late fitness test to give him every chance."

The Portuguese manager is also expected to drop his £50 million striker for the game after substituting him at half-time of the disappointing draw with the Championship club.

Villas-Boas stated that he would not be changing the way his team play for any one player, and insisted that Torres would have to compete with Didier Drogba and Romelu Lukaku for a place in the team.

"[I won't change the team philosophy] on the way I put things together, not in a team basis. [Torres] is trying hard. This season shows that he's had some ups and downs on performance. We had him at a good level at the beginning of the season and at the beginning of January.

"We will continue to push for that level lf performance and get to the top level. That comes with confidence and for Fernando with goals and he will have to find that eventually, for sure.

"First, Torres, Drogba and Lukaku will compete in training to be in the team. There's competition in the striker positions and it will be a battle between the three of them. Drogba increases the level of competition.

"They are all top, top talents. We need that goal efficiency and we will try and get it one way or another.

"I think everybody is desperate for [Torres] to score. Everybody pushes him, praises him in training and it will come with him getting opportunities. His confidence is low but we will have to continue to persist with our belief in his talent. The belief is the same.

"The only thing that changes is the level of competition for him and maybe that will be the key. More competition will see him push himself that little bit harder and maybe he will eventually reach his goal and targets."

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Andre Villas-Boas: I have a three-year plan to change Chelsea & I can handle the challenge

The Blues manager, speaking ahead of the Champions League clash with Napoli, says he has set about making the necessary changes that will lead the club into a bright future

Feb 20, 2012 7:32:00 PM

By Alex Richards

167920hp2.jpg
Andre Villas-Boas has defended his position as Chelsea manager, stating that he would not have left Porto if he was not confident he could succeed at Stamford Bridge.

The Portuguese manager arrived in London last summer, having spent only one season - during which he won the Portuguese league title, domestic cup, Europa League and going an entire season unbeaten at Estadio Dragao.

However, the 34-year-old manager still has great belief in his ability to change the structure of Chelsea, something which he believes is a necessity, and to bring more trophies to Stamford Bridge in the future.

"This is the richest part of Chelsea's history and we want to perpetuate that into the future - but we have to make changes," said the 34-year-old."I wouldn't have moved if I didn't feel confident I could take this challenge through."

The former Academica man has overseen a number of changes to the playing staff during his short time in charge, including the arrivals of Raul Meireles, Oriol Romeu, Gary Cahill, Juan Mata, while reducing the roles of the likes of stalwarts Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba.

Yet, whilst Villas-Boas has the future in mind, he understands that he has a duty to supporters to be successful in the here-and-now.

"There is great belief in what we're going to do next year, but we have responsibilities this year and speculation is normal.

"I'm really confident about next year. We have a three-year project to change the culture and structure. There is a lot we plan to do.

"We're still confident we can do well in the Champions League and FA Cup."

If the Blues are to claim their first Champions League title this season, then they must see off Walter Mazzarri's dangerous Napoli side. However, the Portuguese man does not believe the result in Italy on Tuesday evening will be pivotal with the return leg still to come.

"Whatever happens tomorrow will not be decisive for the tie. We have an opportunity at the Bridge as well" added Villas-Boas.

Nonetheless, he is more than aware of the threat that playing at San Paolo - where Manchester City succumbed to a 2-1 defeat earlier this season - holds for his side.

"Napoli's strengths at the San Paolo are amazing. They have built up a lot under Mazzarri. The way Napoli represent their crowd, there is a mood between the fans, the team and the city.

"Mazzarri has done an excellent job."

John Terry was also revealed to be "a major doubt" for the game due to the knee injury which has seen him miss his side’s last four matches. However, his England team-mate Ashley Cole has a better chance of returning to the Blues starting line-up.

"JT will be a major doubt" continued Villas-Boas, “[but] Ashley is in with more chance to be available. We will reassess after training."

'It's important to see the impact of training on JT's knee, and then we will decide."

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Champions League preview: CSKA Moscow v Real Madrid

20 February 2012

12427340050.jpg

La Liga leaders Real Madrid head to snow-covered Moscow for the first leg of their last-16 Champions League tie with CSKA Moscow on Tuesday.Undefeated in the competition through the group stage, the Spanish giants go into the match as overwhelming favourites against a side that have played only one competitive match since the Russian Premier League's hibernation in late November.

With evening temperatures dipping as low as minus-10 degrees in the Russian capital, Jose Mourinho's men will look for no more from their brief stay than the three points.
The Real Madrid boss has taken 21 players on the plane to Moscow with Hamit Altintop, Angel Di Maria and Lassana Diarra missing out through injury.

Real Madrid now look to be cruising to a first Spanish title since the 2007-08 season having seemingly broken Barcelona's stranglehold on the mantle with a 10-point buffer going into the last 15 games.
"Everyone is happy, being happy works miracles and we are a group which is in good spirits," Mourinho beamed after Saturday's 4-0 win at home to Racing Santander.

"We have a lot of motivation although we know that it will be a difficult game in Moscow."
CSKA have a number of injury concerns despite their long layoff, with defenders Kirill Nababkin and Pavel Mamaev, Chilean winger Mark Gonzalez, Japanese playmaker Keisuke Honda along with Flamengo-bound striker Vagner Love, all ruled out.

Manager Leonid Slutsky remains wary of Real after only a handful of friendly matches, the latest a 2-2 draw with Ukranian outfit Shakhtar Donetsk in Turkey, and said a fast start would be the key.
"I'm confident that all of my players will come into the match with top concentration," Slutsky said."We need to start at full confidence. We all understand that a good start may determine the entire match."

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Champions League preview: Napoli v Chelsea

20 February 2012

12427340040.jpg

Under-fire Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas may start injury-hit captain John Terry in their Champions League tie with Napoli on Tuesday. Despite insisting he has the unconditional support of owner Roman Abramovich ahead of the first leg of the round-of-16 clash, an embarrassing home draw with Championship side Birmingham in their FA Cup fifth-round tie on Saturday, after three games without a win in the Premier League, would suggest otherwise.

The London outfit have slipped to fifth in England's top flight and with leadership question marks plaguing the inexperienced Villas-Boas, his decision to select the stricken Terry could prove to be the defining moment of a darkening season on Tuesday.

"I will leave it as late as possible and make a decision on him after training in Naples," Villas-Boas said.
"(Terry) is a great leader, gives you an extra emotional push. He's a player of great importance." "They have a strong front three with (Marek) Hamsik, (Edinson) Cavani and (Ezequiel) Lavezzi."

Of interest, too, will be Villas-Boas' use of Frank Lampard, who looked less than impressed coming on as a second-half substitute against Birmingham.
All this will be music to the ears of Napoli manager Walter Mazzarri and after advancing from the competitions toughest group, which included the likes of Manchester City and Bayern Munich, he admitted Napoli 'are in better shape' than their beleaguered opponents.

Napoli have arrested a lean run with back-to-back victories in Serie A, the latest a clinical 3-0 dismissal away to Fiorentina.
A confident Mazzarri, who will not be on the bench due to a two-game touchline ban after he pushed Nilmar during their qualification-clinching 2-0 win over Villarreal, knows his side are facing Chelsea with the odds stacked in their favour.

"We are in better shape than Chelsea going into this game, but they have champions who are accustomed to playing a certain level of game," Mazzarri said.
"On Tuesday they know that they cannot make a mistake, so will become unified and I doubt we'll be facing a team in crisis."

Doubts remain over defender Hugo Campagnaro, who limped off during the win in Florence, while Ashley Cole remains sidelined for Chelsea with a calf strain.
The tie may come down to Napoli's vaunted front trio with the uncertainty in Chelsea's defence. Cavani bagged a brace against Fiorentina and Villas-Boas knows only too well the damage either of the three could do to his hopes of remaining at Stamford Bridge.

"Cavani is an amazing player. They are a danger. Their strength is in the collective spirit. They have an inner belief in each other. It will be a massive challenge. Everyone saw what Napoli did in a group which put Manchester City out," Villas-Boas warned.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Champions League preview: Marseille v Inter

21 February 2012

12427340520.jpg

Claudio Ranieri will be praying his Inter Milan team rediscover their winning touch away to Marseille in the Champions League round of 16.Ranieri guided Inter to an eight-match winning streak during December and January, but their form has since deserted them and they have now lost five of their past six matches in all competitions.

The slump has left Inter seventh in Serie A, 14 points back from league leaders AC Milan and six points outside the Champions League qualification places.
With the prospect of Inter failing to secure a spot in next season's tournament increasingly likely, it will be up to Ranieri and his players to prolong this campaign for as long as possible.

It remains to be seen if they will be able to do so, with the surviving members of Inter's 2009/10 treble-winning team seemingly unable to reproduce their form of two years ago.
Chief among the out-of-sorts stars contributing to Inter's slump is Netherlands international Wesley Sneijder.

The playmaker was heavily linked with a move to Manchester United in the off-season, and although he ultimately remained with Inter, Sneijder has struggled to match his output of previous campaigns.
The 27-year-old was sidelined with injury from November to January, and in his absence Ranieri adopted a new formation, one which Sneijder has thus far failed to adapt to.

On Wednesday Inter are likely to be greeted by a typically hostile atmosphere at the Stade Velodrome, where Marseille's fanatical supporters will demand nothing less than a victory on home soil.
After a slow start to the Ligue 1 season, Marseille coach Didier Deschamps has dragged his team to fourth place on the table.

A distant 12 points back from league leaders Paris Saint-German, Marseille are unlikely to regain the title they surrendered last season.
But with just three points separating them from third-placed Lille, Champions League qualification remains a realistic ambition.

If either of Wednesday's protagonists can extend their participation beyond the last 16, the latter stages of this competition will be familiar territory to the respective coaches.
They squared off in the 2003/04 semi-finals, when Deschamps, then in charge of Monaco, inflicted a 5-3 aggregate defeat on Ranieri's Chelsea team.That loss effectively cost the Italian his job, with Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich bringing in Jose Mourinho as his replacement.

Both men have since enjoyed spells in charge of Juventus, but 1998 World Cup winner Deschamps is now back in his native France.
Deschamps will be looking to take Marseille one step further than last season, when his side exited the round of 16 at the hands of Manchester United.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Champions League preview: FC Basel v Bayern Munich

21 February 2012

12427340530.jpg

Bayern Munich hope to take the next step on the road to a home Champions League final when they visit Basel in the round-of-16 first leg.With this season's showcase finale to be staged at Munich's Allianz Arena, Bayern are desperate to make it all the way in the competition for the first time since 2010, when they lost 2-0 to Inter Milan in Madrid.

By their own high standards, Bayern have been inconsistent in the Bundesliga this term.
They dropped points in a frustrating 0-0 draw at Freiburg on Saturday, and now trail league leaders Borussia Dortmund, the defending champions, by three points in the standings.They encountered fewer difficulties in the group stages of the Champions League, with Bayern finishing top of Group A ahead of Napoli, Manchester City and Villarreal.

In Basel they face one of the tournament's surprise packages.
The Swiss champions earned second place in Group C courtesy of a 2-1 win at home to Manchester United, sensationally dumping last year's finalists out of the competition at the first hurdle.Few could begrudge Basel their unexpected place in the knockout rounds.

As well as the home win over United, they also earned a 3-3 draw with the English Premier League champions at Old Trafford, beat Romanian newcomers Otelul Galati home and away, and also earned a 1-1 draw away to Portuguese heavyweights Benfica.
There will be an interesting subplot to Wednesday's match at St Jakob-Park.

One of Basel's star men, Swiss international Xherdan Shaqiri, agreed a switch to Bayern earlier this month.
But with the move to be completed at the end of the season, Shaqiri is free to face his soon-to-be employers on the biggest stage, and the Kosovo-born 20-year-old is sure to be out to impress.

Continuing the connection between the two clubs, Basel are coached by German Heiko Vogel, a former youth team trainer with Bayern between 1998 and 2004.
During his time at the club, Vogel helped to nurture the likes of Thomas Mueller, Holger Badstuber and club captain Philipp Lahm, all of whom are likely to be in the starting 11 against Basel on Wednesday.

Vogel served his apprenticeship alongside former Bayern midfielder Thorsten Fink at Ingolstadt.
Fink led Basel to the Swiss title in 2009/10, before moving to Hamburg last year, leaving Vogel to take up the reigns. It remains to be seen if the 36-year-old coach and his players can register another shock against one of the few teams equipped to challenge Barcelona and Real Madrid for this year's crown.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Champions League: Napoli 3 Chelsea 1

22 February 2012

12427340890.jpg

Napoli have taken the upper hand in their Champions League round-of-16 tie with Chelsea, winning the first leg 3-1 at home on Tuesday.Juan Mata put Chelsea ahead after 27 minutes at Stadio San Paolo, but an Ezequiel Lavezzi double either side of an Edinson Cavani goal mean Napoli will take a two-goal advantage into the second leg at Stamford Bridge on March 14.

Under siege Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas dropped Fernando Torres and Frank Lampard to the bench, while Ashley Cole was also among the substitutes in favour of Jose Bosingwa.
Napoli started well, with Petr Cech called into action early when Cavani evaded Gary Cahill in the box and shot with venom before the goalkeeper saved well with his foot.

Having started the game ahead of Cole, Bosingwa was forced off with an apparent hamstring injury just over 10 minutes into proceedings, prompting the left-back's introduction.
There was a worrying moment for the visitors when Lavezzi attempted a pinpoint pass through the defence, but Cavani strayed offside and the danger passed.

Chelsea found the breakthrough in the 27th minute. Throwing large numbers forward, they put home skipper Paolo Cannavaro under pressure and the defender mis-kicked as he tried to clear Daniel Sturridge’s pass and succeeded only in playing in Mata, who finished coolly.
Napoli got back on level terms just over five minutes before the break.

Cavani, on the turn, played it square for Lavezzi on the edge of the area. The Argentine had no trouble moving past Raul Meireles before curling the ball into the bottom corner with a sublime right-footed finish.
Chelsea came forward immediately after the restart, Ramires advancing unchallenged through the middle but the Portuguese midfielder blasted his effort well over.

Just as it seemed the visitors would reach half-time on equal standing, Cavani got past Branislav Ivanovic as they raced to meet a cross from deep on the right. The Uruguayan reached the back post and threw his shoulder against the delivery, doing enough to divert it into the net and secure a lead at the break.

Napoli started the second half looking to counter and should have extended their lead when Cavani, leading a break through the Chelsea lines, set Lavezzi up with a through-ball after Cahill moved out of position, but the Argentine dragged his effort wide.
Chelsea were throwing huge numbers forward and had chances.

Malouda mistimed a volley in the box before Drogba nearly found his way between two defenders, with Salvatore Aronica just getting a foot in to put the ball out.
The Blues were dominating but David Luiz made a horrendous mistake in the 65th minute when attempting to deal with an innocuous long pass forward from Campagnaro.

He flicked it away with flair but succeeded only in surrendering it to Cavani, who once again passed square to Lavezzi. The forward dispatched it with ease to earn his side a two-goal cushion.
Villas-Boas looked to wrestle back control by summoning Lampard and Michael Essien from the bench but chances dried up at both ends.

Chelsea were lucky not to see a fourth go past them when, with 10 minutes to go, Cavani held the ball up on the edge of the Blues’ area before laying it off to Marek Hamsik, who controlled and swivelled past a defender before playing it across for the waiting Christian Maggio.
The right-back tried to sweep it in but Cole kept it out on the line, though the Italian should have done better.

Chelsea laboured late in search of another away goal, with Lampard hitting a testing long shot into Morgan De Sanctis' arms in stoppage time, but it ended with Napoli in control of the tie.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Champions League: CSKA Moscow 1 Real Madrid 1

22 February 2012

12427340860.jpg

A late equaliser salvaged a 1-1 draw for CSKA Moscow against Real Madrid in their Champions League round-of-16 first-leg tie on Tuesday.Pontus Wernbloom scored in the third minute of stoppage time to keep the tie level heading into the second leg in Madrid on Wednesday March 14, cancelling out Cristiano Ronaldo's first-half opener at the Luzhniki Stadium.

The hosts made a positive start to the match, with Seydou Doumbia and Ahmed Musa looking dangerous with their electric pace and dribbling ability, but no clear-cut chances were created and Real started to impose themselves on the game.
Real's dominance stalled slightly due to an injury to Karim Benzema 15 minutes into the match. The Frenchman went down innocuously and had to be withdrawn due a problem with his groin.

Mourinho's men had a great chance to take the lead after 17 minutes but were denied by a terrific double save from Sergey Chepchugov.
Gonzalo Higuain latched on to a loose ball just outside the box and lashed a left-footed shot at goal that was palmed away by the CSKA goalkeeper, who got up instantly to tip Sami Khedira's rebound effort over the bar.

The breakthrough did eventually come for Real Madrid, through Portuguese pair Ronaldo and Fabio Coentrao.
The left-back found himself in an advanced position and whipped a cross to the back post which proved too much to handle for Zoran Tosic, who awkwardly headed the ball into the path of Ronaldo.

The talismanic front man showed great composure to drill a left-footed half-volley at goal that squeezed past Chepchugov.
After the break Real's defence were on top, with CSKA struggling to mount any attacks of note.The Spanish outfit had an excellent opportunity to double their lead in the 75th minute but another good save from Chepchugov kept his side in the match.

Ronaldo broke the CSKA offside trap and ran through on goal attempting to take the ball around the goalkeeper, who made an important save.
Ronaldo should have doubled his tally seven minutes from time when he found himself with plenty of space on the edge of the box but dragged his shot wide of the left-hand post.

The win looked to be in the bag for Real Madrid, but CSKA had other ideas.
In the last minute of injury time, Alexey Berezutski got on the end of a deep cross to head the ball back into the penalty box, and Wernbloom was there to smash home from seven yards.