• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

UEFA Champions League 2011/2012

Luis Suarez

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Saturday 10th December 2011

709552_33_preview.jpg

No 'clear evidence' for fan rasicm

Chelsea have confirmed they had been unable to prove one of their own fans racially abused striker Daniel Sturridge during the club's Champions League game at Genk.

The Blues launched an investigation into claims Sturridge was called a "monkey" as he came on as a substitute in last month's 1-1 draw in Belgium following a complaint from another supporter.

The fan accused of racism - who was sat in the Cristal Arena's exclusive 100-euro-a-seat section - was alleged to have shouted: "They are bringing on the monkeys." However, none of the 16 supporters Chelsea interviewed during their investigation was able to corroborate the accusation.

A club spokesman said in a statement: "Following the UEFA match in Genk, Belgium, the club received a report from an executive club member that another supporter had used racially-discriminatory language during the match.

"This was said to have been directed at Daniel Sturridge, who came on as a substitute in the second half. "As with all such reports, the club takes such issues very seriously and has conducted a thorough and detailed investigation.

"This has involved interviewing 16 supporters who, according to the seating plan, were sat in the area of the stadium concerned. A formal statement was also taken from the complainant.

"In spite of the very lengthy enquiries, the evidence did not identify conclusively any individual as being responsible for making the comments. No other witnesses reported having heard the alleged comments or anything similar.

"In the absence of clear evidence, it is not possible to reach any conclusion on which to pursue the complaint further. "For these reasons, the club is unable to take any further action. "We should stress that the club welcomes the diligence of all supporters to report any behaviour which is offensive and unacceptable and will always treat any such complaint seriously."

The accused fan was also alleged to have joined in the abuse of QPR defender Anton Ferdinand during the Genk game, something which began in the away section.

The club are still trying to identify those heard to chant "Anton Ferdinand, you know what you are" in apparent support for Chelsea captain John Terry, who is waiting to learn whether he faces criminal charges over claims he used a racial slur against Ferdinand. Terry categorically denies the allegation.

Luis Suarez

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mazzarri comes clean on Nilmar push

10 December 2011

12427302370.jpg

Napoli coach Walter Mazzarri says he pushed Nilmar to motivate his team in their crucial Champions League clash against Villarreal.

Mazzarri was sent to the stands in Wednesday's match at El Madrigal after shoving Villarreal striker Nilmar.
The Italian visitors went on to win 2-0, booking their place in the last 16 by securing second place in Group A."I'll do anything so that my team can win a game. I'm even prepared to sleep outside," Mazzarri said.

"We absolutely had to win that match and Villarreal were time-wasting, so my gesture was to send a signal to my players and the referee that we couldn't put up with this."
"We're in the Champions League knockouts, but I don't want to think about the draw now."Napoli's attention now turns back to Serie A, with a trip to promoted Novara on Sunday.

With European commitments perhaps taking their toll, Napoli have struggled to replicate their strong form of last season.
They gave up the lead to draw 3-3 at home to league leaders Juventus on November 29, and sit fifth on the table, five points outside the Champions League qualification places.

"Now we must focus on Serie A, as at this stage anything can happen and it depends on us," Mazzari said.
"Tomorrow's game with Novara is an important step to understand who we really are.""There are so many games and I am convinced we would've beaten Juventus if we hadn't felt that fatigue at the end.""I gave one day of rest to the players, but now it's time to concentrate and Novara will not be easy."

"It only depends on us and how we step onto the field. We're capable of great performances against the top clubs and of messing it up with the minnows."
According to Mazzarri, key midfielder Gokhan Inler is a doubt for the trip to the Stadio Silvio Piola, but forwards Goran Pandev and Ezequiel Lavezzi are both expected to start.

"I have to evaluate Gokhan Inler, who has both flu and a problem with his ribs," he said.
"Walter Gargano has a few issues too, while Goran Pandev is likely to start.""If Ezequiel Lavezzi is fit, then he will start, regardless of the fact he's on a yellow card. We always need to seek the three points without calculations."

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pinto welcomes Lyon encounter

16 December 2011

12427305750.jpg

APOEL midfielder Helio Pinto is eager to lock horns with Lyon in the last 16 of the Champions League.APOEL became the first Cypriot side to qualify for this stage of the competition and the 27-year-old said playing the likes of Lyon makes the Champions League so special.

"In my opinion, it will be really great for us to play against them and we will all be looking forward to it. It is our dream to be playing in these games," the Portuguese told UEFA.com.
"We knew before the draw that every team we would face would be a strong opponent. We didn't have any preferences with regards to who we could face."

"Lyon are a fantastic team with great players, a great stadium, passionate fans and with plenty of Champions League experience. We all saw what they did in their group which also consisted of Real Madrid."
Meanwhile, CSKA Moscow coach Leonid Slutsky is equally excited after drawing Real Madrid.

"We are set to face a top club and I am looking forward to another meeting with Jose Mourinho. I believe we can rival Real Madrid," Slutsky said.
"We are in for exciting and prestigious matches, both for the club and the players. We do not play one of the best teams in the world every day."

Meanwhile, Zenit St Petersburg goalkeeper Vyacheslav Malafeev believes the first leg in Russia will be the key to their clash with Benfica.
"Benfica are a good team. They won their group, and that's that. Much will be decided in St Petersburg. The Portuguese team are strong," the 32-year-old wrote on Twitter.

After knocking out Manchester United, Basel coach Heiko Vogel felt that his side would need a performance of biblical proportions to beat Bayern Munich.
"With Bayern Munich of course we get one of the absolute favourites of this year's Champions League," Vogel told the club website."This situation is clear: it is a fight of David against Goliath again for us. We know the role of David."

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Voller: Leverkusen need luck against Barcelona

16 December 2011

12427305630.jpg

Bayer Leverkusen sporting director Rudi Voller admits they face an uphill struggle when they clash with Barcelona in the Champions League.

The Bundesliga side were paired with the defending champions in Friday's round-of-16 draw in Nyon, Switzerland, and, according to the 51-year-old, will need luck on their side if they are to stand a chance of advancing to the quarter-finals.

"We're clear outsiders," Voller said. "But we have a spark of hope."
"We have to play dream football twice and Barcelona have to have bad days. But we won't hide, otherwise we might as well not turn up."

CEO Wolfgang Holzhauser echoed Voller's sentiments, and feels that even if his side lose, the tie will be enjoyable.
"Well the anticipation is bigger than the frustration. It will be nice, for sure," he said.The first leg of the tie will be played on a to-be-determined date, either February 14 or 15, at Leverkusen's BayArena.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea ready for Napoli test

16 December 2011

12427305590.jpg

Chelsea club secretary David Barnard admits the Blues face a 'very difficult' Champions League last-16 tie against Napoli.But he was hopeful that Andre Villas-Boas' previous experience facing the Italian club could be used to their advantage.

Having worked under Jose Mourinho at Inter, the Chelsea manager will be aware of the threats posed by the Serie A side in a tie that will be a 'new experience' for most of the club's players.
"I think at this stage we can come up with the clichés about it being difficult, and it will indeed be difficult," Barnard told Sky Sports.

"We've already seen Napoli in the same group as Manchester City and they are unfortunately not with us, so obviously that has some bearing on the quality of Napoli."
"I'm sure Andre will see it as a tough draw. We all know that Andre has had experience in Italy with Inter Milan, so he will know the ins and outs of Napoli I'm sure."

"It will be an occasion, and it will be a lot warmer than if we'd drawn a Russian team. It's a new experience for us with this particular club."
The Champions League has eluded Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich since he took over the London club in 2003 and Barnard was keen to emphasise the importance of the trophy to players and staff alike, particularly after their dramatic defeat in the 2008 final against Manchester United.

"I don't think it's just the owner, I think it applies to everyone associated with Chelsea Football Club," he said.
"We got there in Moscow, we were so near and yet so far, and we want to go back and we want to win it. It's not just Roman, it's the players and the staff as well."Barnard also insisted that hopes at Stamford Bridge remained high and that that had been the case even during a tricky spell earlier in the season that saw Villas-Boas fall under the microscope.

"I think the feeling at the club is upbeat," he said. "It's always been there, but because some of the results haven't gone our way people have assumed that people are not together."
"But it's always been there and it's a lot better than it was."Strengthening the side ahead of the meeting with Napoli during the January transfer window was a possibility, Barnard added."You can always speculate, you can never say never in football," he said.

"I'm sure that if players become available that Andre's interested in, then it's something we will look at."
Barnard confirmed that Chelsea will liaise with Manchester City regarding arrangements for the first leg, which is away from home in Naples."I'm sure there will be a large security operation for Chelsea," he said.

"We will speak with Manchester City and go on their experience of what has happened and how they went about it, and whether we can improve that."
"But we will be speaking with Manchester City on those particular issues."

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bayern wary of Basel threat

16 December 2011

12427305670.jpg

Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge remains wary of Basel after being drawn against the Swiss side in the Champions League.

Although he feels confident in his team's chances to progress, the 56-year-old is aware of the danger that the Group C runners-up pose.

"If we stay focused and do our work right, then there is a good chance for us to move on to the quarter-finals. But please do not under-rate them," Rummenigge told reporters after Friday's round of 16 draw in Nyon, Switzerland.

The Swiss side famously knocked Manchester United out of the competition at the group stage following their 2-1 home victory on matchday six.

Bayern, on the other hand, finished first in Group A ahead of runners-up Napoli, as well as Manchester City and Villarreal.

Basel will host Bayern in the first leg of the tie on a to-be-determined date in February.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ranieri wants revenge over Deschamps

16 December 2011

12427305690.jpg

Inter boss Claudio Ranieri is hoping to gain revenge for one of the most painful defeats of his coaching career when he goes head to head with Didier Deschamps again.Inter have been drawn against Deschamps' Marseille side in the knockout stage of the Champions League and Ranieri does not have fond memories of the last time he pitted his wits against the Frenchman in European competition.

It was against Deschamps' Monaco in 2004 that Ranieri's reputation as 'The Tinkerman' was cemented, with his then Chelsea side suffering a semi-final exit at the hands of the Ligue 1 outfit.
The disappointing loss was blamed on Ranieri's bizarre tactics and eventually led to him being sacked soon after.

"It's an interesting challenge between Inter and Marseille and between me and Deschamps," the Inter boss told reporters after Friday's draw in Switzerland.
"He got the better of me in 2004, when he was coaching Monaco and I was at Chelsea. Now it's time for me to take revenge."Meanwhile, Inter captain Javier Zanetti is also wary of the Deschamps factor given the former Juventus boss has a detailed knowledge of the Italian scene.

"It is a difficult match, we hope to approach it in form," the Argentine said. "We know how it went last year with Schalke."
"Marseille? I know Lucho Gonzalez and for them he is a very important player, and then they have a coach that knows Italian football well."However, former Inter goalkeeper Gianluca Pagliuca believes that the draw has not only been kind to the Nerazzurri but also rivals AC Milan.

"Napoli are slightly behind Chelsea, but it's a good draw for Italian teams," he told Goal.com. "Milan and Inter are favourites against Arsenal and Marseille."
Inter ambassador Luis Figo is very wary of the threat posed by Marseille but believes that with a fully-fit squad, Inter have the talent at their disposal to reach the quarter-finals."They are always a tough side to play against, with an intimidating ground and a multinational team," the Portuguese said.

"We should have a few important players back by then. If we perform as we know we're capable of, we have every chance of doing well."
Inter must travel to the Stade Velodrome in February for the first leg, before welcoming Marseille to San Siro the following month.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Allegri: Milan must be ready for Arsenal

16 December 2011

12427305710.jpg

AC Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri says his side will have to be at their best if they are to beat Arsenal in the Champions League.After finishing second in Group H to Barcelona, the Rossoneri were, as an unseeded team in Friday’s draw in Nyon, always in danger of being given a tough assignment in the last 16.

Allegri has since conceded that the Serie A holders face a difficult task when they meet Arsenal in February, insisting that Arsene Wenger's side have the quality to go far in the competition.
"Arsenal are difficult opponents, a team that has everything to go all the way in the Champions League," the Milan boss told Premium Calcio.

"In February we will have to be ready, Arsenal is a team at our level."
Milan's organising director Umberto Gandini is looking forward to the games and is hoping that the Italian champions can settle a few scores."For the quality and appeal of the two clubs, it's a fantastic tie," he enthused.

"We need to break a bad tradition with Arsenal."
"Remember, we got knocked out by losing 2-0 in San Siro (in the last 16 in 2008), and in general with English clubs because we got knocked out by Tottenham last year.""So we are coming back to London, it's an exciting fixture, and we're very determined to go through."

Milan will host the Gunners at San Siro in the first leg in February before then travelling to the Emirates for the return fixture the following month.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Napoli a difficult clash, says AVB

17 December 2011

12427305850.jpg

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas says the club's pairing with Napoli in the Champions League is one of the hardest matches of the round.The Blues finished top of their group to qualify for the knockout stages of the tournament and were rewarded with a tough last-16 tie against the in-form Italian side, who helped knock Manchester City out of the competition.

Villas-Boas sees the Naples club as formidable opponents with a strong fan base, and hailed the tie as one the top games in Friday's draw.
"I think we have one of the most difficult draws but whichever team you get in the last 16 will be a difficult team," he said."Napoli is a club that represents the city and the city has great empathy with the club.""It has a tremendous fan base and it is one of the most difficult and exciting games of the last 16, no doubt about it."

Napoli qualified second in their group behind Bayern Munich, and Villas-Boas, who joined Stamford Bridge from Porto over the summer, highlighted Marek Hamsik and Edinson Cavani as big threats to the Blues squad.
"They are a side that works collectively very well and (coach) Walter Mazzarri has always been a coach that organises his teams very well," Villas-Boas said.

"They have been improving tremendously under his guidance and have been gaining the results that they want and they expect."
"They are fully motivated and they have a lot of talent coming through like Hamsik and Cavani. They have a lot of talent throughout."Chelsea will play the second-leg of the clash at Stamford Bridge, which the Portuguese coach admitted was a positive ahead of the February fixture.

"It is always good but we have to make sure we create the same environment at home as in the Stadio San Paolo in Naples, because it is one of the biggest stadiums in the world and the empathy between club and city comes to enormous proportions at the game," he said.
"The fans are an incentive for the team all the way through.""So it is important that Stamford Bridge replicates that, like we did against Valencia and Man City because that can be a major help."

"We are looking forward to the games and hopefully we can prepare well and hopefully we can go through."
Chelsea summer signing Juan Mata agreed with his manager, describing Napoli as dangerous opponents."Tough draw in the knockout stage. Napoli is our rival in Champions," the winger wrote on his Twitter and Facebook accounts.

"The first leg in Italy will be very complicated. What do you reckon? I like this team, with fast, handstand and incisive players."
"But first of all, before that, we need to focus in the Premier League, tomorrow we play against Wigan. We will try to keep the winning streak."

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

English clubs handed tough Champions League draw

16 December 2011

12427305470.jpg

England's two remaining sides in the Champions League will both face Italian opposition in the last 16 of the tournament.

Chelsea have been drawn against Napoli while Arsenal is set to face reigning Serie A champions AC Milan.

Chelsea progressed as winners of Group E but will not be relishing a clash with tournament debutants Napoli, who qualified for the knockout stages by pipping Manchester City to second spot in Group A.

Meanwhile, Arsenal's dubious reward for topping Group F is a tie against Milan, who came off second best to Barcelona in Group H.

Defending champions Barcelona have been paired with Bayer Leverkusen. Barca's great rivals Real Madrid, meanwhile, must make the arduous trip to Russia to face CSKA Moscow.

Elsewhere, Italy's other representative, Inter, must tackle Marseille, while the side the Nerazzurri defeated in the 2010 final, Bayern Munich, take on Basel, who sensationally knocked out Manchester United.

Another surprise package, APOEL Nicosia, have been paired with French side Lyon, while the remaining tie will see Zenit St Petersburg go head to head with Benfica.

The first legs will take place on February 14/15 and 21/22 with the return matches scheduled for March 6/7 and 13/14.

Champions League last 16

Lyon v APOEL Nicosia

Napoli v Chelsea

AC Milan v Arsenal

Basel v Bayern Munich

Bayer Leverkusen v Barcelona

CSKA Moscow v Real Madrid

Zenit St Petersburg v Benfica

Marseille v Inter

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

FIFA threaten to ban Switzerland

18 December 2011

12427306340.jpg

FIFA have threatened to ban Switzerland from the sport if they fail to punish Sion for fielding ineligible players in the Europa League.

If the suspension came into force, Basel could be thrown out of the Champions League last 16, with Manchester United the likeliest club to replace Heiko Vogel's side in the competition after finishing in third place in Group C.Sion were given a one-year transfer embargo in 2008 after FIFA ruled that they had broken transfer regulations when signing goalkeeper Essam El-Hadary of Al Ahly.

With a lengthy legal ban following, the suspension did not come into place until the winter window of the 2010-11 season and Sion breached the ban when they fielded ineligible players in their Europa League playoff victory over Celtic in August.
Sion's later appeal was rejected and the Swiss Football Association are yet to punish the club, with FIFA keen to see the FA ban the six players signed by club in the summer from competitive action.

In an official statement, FIFA criticised 'the attitude of the club in repeatedly trying to circumvent this decision in a legally abusive manner'.
"As a consequence, all matches in which the relevant players participated shall be declared forfeit or three points shall be deducted respectively," the statement read."Should this deadline not be respected, the Swiss FA will be automatically suspended from January 14, 2012 onwards."

The terms of the possible FIFA suspension would mean that the country's national and club teams, referees and officials would be banned from taking part in international matches and meetings, and also precluded from receiving any FIFA funding.
Swiss FA officials are meeting on Saturday to decide their next course of action.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tuesday 20th December 2011

606465_33_preview.jpg

Ancelotti warning for Chelsea, Arsenal

Carlo Ancelotti has backed Italian sides AC Milan and Napoli to expose the poor state of English football when they meet Arsenal and Chelsea in the Champions League.

Milan will play Arsenal when the competition resumes next year while Chelsea have been drawn against Napoli in the round of 16.

Ancelotti believes both London outfits - the only English teams left in the tournament - will over the two legs of their respective ties succumb to Italian opposition because English football is "not very well" at the moment.

The Barclays Premier League is not well represented in Europe this season following the exits of Manchester United and Manchester City at the group stage of the Champions League.

"They are balanced matches with the Italians as favourites," Ancelotti was quoted by the Sun as saying. "Italian football has made steps forward and after the elimination of City and United, English football is not very well.

"Napoli can play Chelsea as equals. "Napoli have already had a little difficult period, but it seems they're getting back on track."

Ancelotti, who previously held the position of manager of Chelsea last season, spent eight years at the San Siro winning the Champions League twice.

He admits that although he may be biased in predicting Milan to beat Arsenal, it does not change the fact the Rossoneri have better players than the Gunners currently.

"I am a Milan fan, so I find it hard to be rational," he said.

"But [Milan] are superior to Arsenal. They have great players."

The matches are scheduled to take place in February 2012.

chowka

Alfrescian
Loyal
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

155269_thumb.jpg

Fenerbahce to take Champions League expulsion case to Court of Arbitration for Sport
The Istanbul giants were kicked out of Europe's top competition due to match fixing allegations and will appear before the CAS next month

93136_thumb.jpg

Paris Saint-Germain players set for large bonus for Champions League qualification
The capital outfit will reward their squad with substantial individual bonuses if they are able to secure top-level European football next season

99763_thumb.jpg

Roberto Baronio: Lazio can qualify for the Champions League
The midfielder who spent 14 years at the Rome outfit claims that the side have every chance of reaching Europe's most elite club competition

161067_thumb.jpg

Failure to reach top four would be a disaster, says Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger
The Frenchman believes that Champions League football is a necessity at the Emirates Stadium and refuses to think about finishing below Tottenham and Chelsea

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Uefa labels 36 per cent increase in annual losses 'the last wake-up call' for Europe's elite

According to the latest club licensing report, which covers 2010, the continent’s finest recorded an overall loss of €1.6 billion, underlining the need for cost-cutting measures

Jan 25, 2012 4:18:00 PM

By Mark Doyle

159216hp2.jpg
Uefa general secretary Gianni Infantino has said that the 36 per cent increase in reported annual loses among Europe’s top-flight clubs represents “the last wake-up call” for those still opposed to the introduction of Financial Fair Play (FFP).

According to Uefa’s latest club licensing report, which covers 2010, the continent’s finest recorded an overall loss of €1.6 billion.

As a result, Infantino believes that there can now be no debate over whether FFP is essential for the future of Europe’s top clubs.
“You will see today some very worrying figures,” he told reporters at Uefa headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland.

“This is the last wake-up call for those that have not realised that FFP will happen. You will see the figures and see something has to be done.”

Infantino acknowledged that while total revenue is growing within the European game, the losses are growing even faster.

“That is why I say this is the last wake-up call for European football,” he pointed out. “This red trend has to be inverted very, very quickly if we want to save European football.

“Net losses have increased in European football every year since 2006. Income has grown but so have losses.

“In two years from 2008 to 2010 net losses have increased by €1bn. In 2006 losses were just €216m.

“If this is not enough to tell us that we need to act, and act quickly, then nothing will.”

The one success story on the continent is the Bundesliga. German clubs agreed to implement cost-cutting measures 18 months ago and the benefits are now being felt.

The Bundesliga’s annual report for the 2010-11 season boasts a record revenue figure of €2.23bn. In addition, the championship also posted a profit of €52.5m.

"The measures for an improved cost control approved by the clubs in August 2010 have borne fruit,” Bundesliga chief executive Christian Seifert is quoted as saying by ESPN.

"With that, professional football continues to have a strong outlook of remaining a success story, also because the Bundesliga is as popular as never before with fans, sponsors and media partners."

As part of Uefa's FFP regulations, clubs must bring their football-related expenditure under control over a three-year period or run the risk of points deductions, transfer embargoes or expulsion from European competition.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Napoli's Walter Mazzarri to miss Champions League clashes against Chelsea after receiving two-match ban

The Italian coach will not be allowed in the dugout for the upcoming matches against the Blues, but the Serie A side are hopeful they will win the appeal

Jan 26, 2012 8:11:00 PM

By Luis Mira

163874hp2.jpg

Uefa has announced that Napoli coach Walter Mazzarri has been handed a two-match touchline suspension for the Champions League.
This means that the Partenopei boss will be in the stands for both legs of Napoli's Champions League round of 16 tie against Chelsea on February 21 and March 14.

The 50-year-old coach was sent off during Napoli's 2-0 victory against Villarreal in December for protesting at the Spanish side's time-wasting by pushing Nilmar off the ball.

In addition to the suspension, Mazzarri has also been fined €3,000 for his actions.
"We will present our appeal next week - our goal is to at least reduce the ban by one match," Napoli lawyer Mattia Grassani told Radio Gol.

"We want to prove that what Walter did was minimal since there was no aggression. Our biggest goal is to transform the suspension into a fine."

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Marcello Lippi says Chelsea's Andre-Villas Boas is worried about facing Napoli in the Champions League

The World Cup-winning coach says that Villas-Boas is not too confident for the upcoming Champions League tie, while hailing Napoli's growth in the last few years

Feb 6, 2012 3:00:00 PM

By Luis Mira

100962hp2.jpg

Former Juventus and Italy coach Marcello Lippi has indicated that Andre Villas-Boas is concerned about Chelsea's Champions League round of 16 tie against Napoli.

The Blues secured qualification for the knockout stages only in the last round of matches thanks to a home 3-0 victory against Valencia as they risked dropping to the Europa League.

Chelsea will now have to lock horns with Napoli, who have been in stunning form in the Champions League, having survived the so-called 'Group of Death'.

"You have to be proud of Napoli, who grow year after year," Lippi told Radio Kiss Kiss Napoli. "Half of Europe fears this club.

"I recently ran into Villas-Boas and I saw that he is worried."

Chelsea travel to Napoli on February 21, with the return leg scheduled for March 14 at Stamford Bridge.

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

164833_thumb.jpg

Barcelona and Real Madrid lead the race for the Champions League as the knockout stages approach
Europe's premier club competition returns this month and the bookmakers seem convinced that Real Madrid and Barcelona are still the teams to beat

138518_thumb.jpg

Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Sidney Sam ruled out of Barcelona Champions League tie
The attacking midfielder has picked up a muscular problem and faces a lengthy spell on the sidelines as a result, ruling him out of the clash against the Blaugrana

49492_thumb.jpg

San Lorenzo chase Champions League reject Enzo Perez - report
The Argentine was not registered for the knockout stages of the competition by Benfica and San Lore will hope to take advantage by making a late bid for his services

140583_thumb.jpg

Former Turkish Football Federation president Mehmet Ali Aydinlar reveals Uefa threats over match-fixing scandal
Super Lig teams faced an eight-year ban from European competition if they did not remove Fenerbahce from the Champions League, as the continent's governing body applied pressure

151109_thumb.jpg

Inter register Diego Forlan, Angelo Palombo & Andrea Poli for Champions League
The Nerazzurri have added the Uruguayan striker and two additional midfielders to their roster for European club football's elite tournament, with Olympique de Marseille next up

164538_thumb.jpg

'I want to win Serie A and the Champions League' - Martin Caceres keen to taste success at Juventus
The newly-recruited Uruguayan defender has wasted no time in outlining his ambitions at the Turin giants, and insists he will play anywhere Antonio Conte chooses to deploy him

163126_thumb.jpg

Stephan El Shaarawy named in AC Milan's Champions League squad
Massimiliano Allegri has opted to bring the young forward into the European fold, but there is still no place for Filippo Inzaghi, as the Rossoneri's 25-man selection is finalised

|Hulk|

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

166824_thumb.jpg

Bernd Leno: Bayer Leverkusen need Michael Ballack against Barcelona in the Champions League
The young shot-stopper has defended his team-mate, who has come under criticism this season, and stated that his experience will be important when the side meet the Catalans

151141_thumb.jpg

Gianfranco Zola: The majority of fans admire Barcelona for their fantastic football
The former Italy international has hailed the Spanish giants' style of play, and believes they have what it takes to successfully defend their Champions League crown

13181_thumb.jpg

Barcelona will win the Champions League, says Ludovic Giuly
The former France international has no doubt about the success Barca will have in the prestigious European competition and says Guardiola is one of the top coaches in the game