• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Traffic jams at both CIQs (Woodlands Causeway and Tuas 2nd Link)

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, i came from bukit indah side along coastal highway. at jb customs, i see no jam from the various entry into customs. first time reach custom so early for me. And maybe bad luck, all cars stuck at customs. I was one car away from the counter, moving by the centimeter for 20 mins. People got impatient and honking away, but problem was really at spore side (see traffic cam photo).

The jam might have buildup from then (5am)....i wont know as i was in the custom already.

I hope this is just once off.

As for my nick, my first property in malaysia is at Austin Heights :-) ... Currently rented out.

thank you,sir. so basically, at 450 am there was no jam in JB until at the causeway (jb side CIQ). May I know, did you come thru tebrau highway then join EDL, as your nick suggest you stay at austin heights.?
If yes, then confirm from your pictures that the worst jam in JB is at the causeway , not tebrau highway.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, i came from bukit indah side along coastal highway. at jb customs, i see no jam from the various entry into customs. first time reach custom so early for me. And maybe bad luck, all cars stuck at customs. I was one car away from the counter, moving by the centimeter for 20 mins. People got impatient and honking away, but problem was really at spore side (see traffic cam photo).

The jam might have buildup from then (5am)....i wont know as i was in the custom already.

I hope this is just once off.

As for my nick, my first property in malaysia is at Austin Heights :-) ... Currently rented out.

oh i c. okay man. AH good rental?

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think decent lah. 9% based on purchased price (+above ave reno) in 2010.
tks for the info.
yup , not too shabby. however your buy price is much lower. yield is probably halved if based on current subsale. still better than KL though.
developer should quickly do up the main road in front of AH .

checkers

Alfrescian
Loyal
The bad jams especially at Tuas are taking a toll on some people. Two of my neighbours have shifted back to SG as their kids cannot take it.

One sleeps over at a relative's house at times. :(

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
The bad jams especially at Tuas are taking a toll on some people. Two of my neighbours have shifted back to SG as their kids cannot take it.

The jam will get worse :eek: 2.6 exchange rate is too attractive to ignore, and the lower wages are progressively being increased. A starting pay of $1.5k SGD in SG for a clerical job is nearly $4k RM, which is managerial pay in JB. I suspect RM will weaken further as Malaysia's debt level climbs.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
The jam will get worse :eek: 2.6 exchange rate is too attractive to ignore, and the lower wages are progressively being increased. A starting pay of $1.5k SGD in SG for a clerical job is nearly $4k RM, which is managerial pay in JB. I suspect RM will weaken further as Malaysia's debt level climbs.

for the past 25 years the RM has weakened against the SGD and the long term trend looks set to continue. based on a quick back of envelope calculation, it is sliding at approx 3-4% per annum.

Aviator

Alfrescian
Loyal

One is using a strong Dollar to contain domestic inflation brought by imports
One is using a weak ringgit to export its way out of debts
So, if the trend continues and there's no reason it will not, which one you think will become stronger and which will be weaker over time?

Buying MY properties using SGD in JB market, is a TOTALLY different market condition from the rest of Malaysia.
Some markets like Penang, Melaka and KL has its share of SGD investors too but nothing as compared to JB!
So, if SGD in trouble... JB market also finished!... therefore, look at SG's economy as a direct proxy to JB!

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal

Curious to know are they chinese ? My side has more singaporeans malays moved over but they are renting only .

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
One is using a strong Dollar to contain domestic inflation brought by imports
One is using a weak ringgit to export its way out of debts
So, if the trend continues and there's no reason it will not, which one you think will become stronger and which will be weaker over time?

Buying MY properties using SGD in JB market, is a TOTALLY different market condition from the rest of Malaysia.
Some markets like Penang, Melaka and KL has its share of SGD investors too but nothing as compared to JB!
So, if SGD in trouble... JB market also finished!... therefore, look at SG's economy as a direct proxy to JB!

I agree it is a different market. I treat southern JB as an extension of SG.

I suspect southern JB will be where more Malaysians (more Chinese?) from other states will migrate to and stay, while travelling to Singapore to work.

The exports of JB and SG are still growing, so definitely more workers are needed. This will lead to population growth and housing demand.

checkers

Alfrescian
Loyal
Curious to know are they chinese ? My side has more singaporeans malays moved over but they are renting only .

Yup. They took back their rented place. Still come back over the weekends if possible.

I met a few of those too. They sold off their SG homes (for some reasons) and stay here. Maybe they are waiting to apply for a new one (needs a cooling period of 30 months, I think). There is one unit with two families staying in it.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yup. They took back their rented place. Still come back over the weekends if possible.

I met a few of those too. They sold off their SG homes (for some reasons) and stay here. Maybe they are waiting to apply for a new one (needs a cooling period of 30 months, I think). There is one unit with two families staying in it.

ic , weekends stay are good for those with kids schooling ..... quality sleep is more important.....

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where's dear cascadia..?:p

I think dear Cascadia is an expert on JB roads, but maybe he/she doesn't cross the causeway or drives on SG/KL roads that often. So for example, the EDL jam becomes magnified as a bigger show-stopper than the BKE/SLE/CTE/AYE/ECP/MCE/KPE jams.

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why make it so difficult even for people to leave Singapore.... Terrible jam even on a mid week night......

IMG_20140521_204947.jpg

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just insane..
Last night came back into Singapore from Johor at 11pm. Jam as usual.
But at least the cars were moving.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Usual solution in SG is to raise the toll to SGD $20 per direction for the following benefits.

1. Reduces demand, jam and pollution
2. Ensures a smooth and pleasant journey for the genuine motorists
3. Higher revenue to pay the ICA officers for their toil
4. Increases spending in Singapore and more taxes for government
5. Keeps labour forces within JB to alleviate its labour shortage
6. Reduces inflation in JB due to less visitors from Singapore and availability of more local labour forces
7. Lowers crime rate in JB due to less affluent visitors from Singapore flaunting their wealth in JB

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cant imagine it jammed so badly lately..
In year 2012 June to Sept, i used to stay there.

Use only 1 hr and 20 mins from Bukit Indah to Clementi..

I heard lately, we need almost 3 hrs!!

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cant imagine it jammed so badly lately..
In year 2012 June to Sept, i used to stay there.

Use only 1 hr and 20 mins from Bukit Indah to Clementi..

I heard lately, we need almost 3 hrs!!

last year i remember during the day, from 11am-4pm weekdays, it is clear to go in and out of JB. in the morning, totally free flow going into JB on first link.

look at the jam these days.

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onemotoring/en/on_the_roads/traffic_cameras0/woodlands.html

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Increased security and hols worsen crawl at checkpoints
Published: Saturday March 22, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Updated: Saturday March 22, 2014 MYT 7:36:30 AM
BY DESIREE TRESA GASPER

JOHOR BARU: The start of the school holidays coupled with stringent inspection fo*ll*ow**ing recent security breaches at the border checkpoint here has led to major traffic congestion at both the Causeway and Second Link.

The traffic backlog is a constant problem, especially for thousands who travel daily from Johor Baru to Singapore for work and studies.

IT engineer Nicholas Vincent, 28, said travelling to work had become a nightmare as it took him over two hours to get to his office in Singapore.

“It never used to be this bad as it usually takes about one-and-half hours but now, I’m stuck in a crawl almost every day,” he said in an interview here yesterday.

Nicholas believed that the traffic jams had worsened following two incidents of security breaches – when a Malaysian teacher drove through checkpoints of both countries without validating her passport on Jan 17, and another case involving a man on March 8.

“It’s frustrating to be stuck in jams during peak hours. The authorities from both countries should come up with a solution,” he said.

Accounts executive Suerina Juilina Abd Aziz, 31, said traffic at the checkpoint in the early morning used to be smooth.

“But this has changed in the last two weeks. I find that the vehicles hardly move,” she said, suggesting that existing lanes be widened and traffic officials man the checkpoints to help ease congestion.

Administrative executive, Kamini Devi, 27, claimed that the jams were causing many drivers to suffer mental stress.

“I now have to have my breakfast in the car while driving to work,” she said.

Johor Immigration Department director Rohaizi Bahari said the extra traffic was due to the start of the school holidays in both Malaysia and Singapore, and increased security.

“We are constantly monitoring the situation and working with our Singaporean counterparts on the matter. On our part, we are ensuring that all our counters are open during peak hours while officials are on standby to direct traffic,” he said.

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nati...ecurity-and-hols-worsen-crawl-at-checkpoints/