• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Today's Scripture Reading

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Today’s Scripture Reading [September 11, 2011]

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. [1 John 1:7. KJV]

Today is the 10th anniversary of the two planes that crashed into the World Trade Center. Immediately after the planes crashed into the World Trade Center, newspapers all over the world spared no effort to report the disaster and newspaper headline “America Under Attack!” became the most talk about news over the next few months. To the Americans and the western world, the date September 11, 2001 signified the beginning on the ‘War on Terror’ and the names Obsama Bin Laden, Al-Qaeda and the word ‘Terrorism’ are synonymous. Because of the two planes that crashed into the World Trade and all the news reports, the names Obsama and Al-Qaeda became very famous overnight! Before Sept 11, only those who have special interest in international terrorism knew who Obsama and Al-Qaeda. Obsama bin Laden became an instant hero in the Muslim world, and of course for all the wrong reasons. Many people, including Americans felt that Obsama had been wrongly accused of plotting the September 11 attack on American soil. In fact, there are conspiracy theory that pointed with some evidences that the crash into the World Trade was staged. According to the conspiracy theory, it was staged so as to give the American and Western governments the moral and legal rights to eliminate Obsama and the institution of Al-Qaeda. Frankly, no one can really know the truth except perhaps Obsama, George Bush, Jr and some of his western counter-parts themselves. Nevertheless, history will continue to tell us that the plane crash into the World Trade Center was the work of some evil people pointing, of course, at Obsama and Al-Qaeda. History will also continue to tell us that this indeed is a 100% man-made disaster and that the evilness of man can best (or rather worst) be reflected in this disaster! Whether this was the work of the Al-Qaeda or staged by the American and western political leaders does not change the fact that man heart is truly evil and we are desperately in need for an holy God.

Because of the magnitude and international political significance of this disaster, many people could remember exactly where they were and what they were doing during that time of the year. I remember I was working late in the office and I came home at around 9.00 pm. As I step into my house, I saw my sister watching the news. I did not know of the plane crash then but I remembered my sister did tell me that an air-plane has crashed into a building in New York. As I turned my eyes to the TV, I thought it was just a movie. I simply couldn’t believe what I saw. I still thought that it was just a TV drama. There was huge and thick smoke spewing out from a very tall building. As I listened to the news commentary, I realize it was all but real – America was indeed under attack. I don’t think I need to go further into the details because you can easily google for countless video clips and news on this disaster. Thankfully, though I knew that buildings of that size should have been occupied by ten of thousands office workers but the final casualty count was, thankfully, 3,000. This is big number, of course, and taking into consideration that many of them have families, the total number of people affected by this disaster could easily be between 20,000 to 50,000 thousands. No one can really tell. Although we were not victims of this disaster but we know that the family members of the victims must be screaming out to God why He had allowed this to take place. Just like all major disasters be it volcano, earthquake, flood, surviving victims would inevitably scream out to God and started questioning that if there is God, then why God allows these evils to take place; if there is truly a good God, then why is there evil in the world?; since our world is full of evil and a good, all-powerful God would never allow for evil, God therefore cannot exist; if God exist and He created all things, then evil must be also be created by Him, and God therefore cannot exist!

I believe many atheists would quickly jump with ‘joy’ because disasters like these seem to show that God cannot exist. So they thought. Additionally, as we notice, when disaster struck, many people turn God into a punching bag!

In today’s message, I want to share with you on the biblical perspective of creation and in particular, I hope I can answer one of the most commonly-asked questions by atheists: If God is all-powerful and created all things, then God must have also created evil. Some thought that this is a fair question but sorry, in my opinion, this is the stupidest question to begin with because it completely lack the understanding of what creation is all about, and what the word “evil” actually is. Let me explain.

Many of us have seen magical shows performed by professional magicians, and many of these magicians are members of the International Brotherhood of Magicians (I.B.M). Needless to say that all magical tricks are just tricks. They are not real and anyone can go and learn to be a magician just like anyone can go and learn to be a musician, a dancer, a chef or an artist. It is interesting to note that one of the codes of ethics of the International Brotherhood of Magicians is “to oppose the willful exposure to the public of any principles of the Art of Magic, or the methods employed in any magic effect or illusion”. Just by this one code of ethics that members of the I.B.M. have an obligation to observe, it tells us very clearly that magical performances are simply tricks or illusion. Often we really admire magicians because of their unbelievable tricks like skillfully create something out of the thin air (although we all fully know that these are just tricks or illusions). For example, they could just create real money from some old newspapers, and we all know they are just simply tricks. How they do it is a secret and they are under obligation not to expose the art of the trade of magical performance to the audience. Regardless of who these magicians are, whether they are just amateurs or world-class professional magicians, we can observe one common element that is present in every magic they performed: something tangible is created, or some tangible objects changed from one form to another, or are made to disappear into the thin air. It is interesting that up to now, no magician has performed a magical trick to create evil (or for that matter, to create good)! The reason is very simple: No one can create evil; not even David Copperfield (even though he can make the Stature of Liberty ‘disappear’); not even Satan nor God can create evil! Evil is not something that is tangible like a chair or a table, and hence no one – not even God nor Satan, can create it! Yes, you can teach and impart moral value to tell people this is right and that is wrong but you cannot create moral value. Hence, no one can create ‘respect’ or ‘obedience’. Have you seen any magicians create respect, honour, obedience to please the audience? Hence to say that God creates evil is absolutely nonsensical, and it is equally nonsensical to say that evil is created by Satan. We know from the Bible, Satan is a tempter and all he can do is to tempt us to sin (Matthew 4:3), and to do evil things. Satan cannot create stealing or theft although he can tempt you to go and commit theft.

Let’s examine in some details of God’s creation as recorded in the Book of Genesis which gives us a very clear understanding of what God’s creation is all about. The creation that was made by God as recorded in the Book of Genesis was simply to create all the essential elements for the purposes of bringing life into existence. These elements are light, water and atmosphere (comprising various gases) that would eventually bring life into existence. Without these elements the earth would be without form and void (Genesis 1:2). Let me emphasis, God’s creation as we see in Chapter 1 of the Book of Genesis is to bring into existence all life-forms – plants, animals and of course human being. In fact, there was nothing in the story of creation that mentioned God created ‘good’ or ‘evil’. We are told clearly that God was very pleased with His creations as can be seen in the following verses: And God saw the light, that it was good (Genesis 1:4); And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called the Seas: and God saw that it was good (Genesis 1:10); And the earth brought forth grass, and herbs yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good (Genesis 1:12); And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good (Genesis 1:18); And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good (Genesis 1:21); And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good (Genesis 1:25); And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day (Genesis 1:31).

As we can see, even though God is all-powerful, His creation was simply to create a perfect environment for life to flourish – nothing more and nothing less. Questions like “Does God Exist?” “Did God Create Evil?” “If God Is Good, Then Why He Allowed People To Suffer?” have been asked throughout the ages, in all establishments and by all people from all walks of life from an average people to highly educated professors. For example, in one of a university lecture, a professor challenged his students with this question: Did God create everything that exists? "

When this question was asked, a student immediately stood up and bravely replied "Yes, he did!"

"God created everything?" the professor challenged the student this question again.

"Yes sir," again, the student replied.

The professor answered, "If God created everything, then God created evil since evil exists, and according to the principal that our works define who we are, then God is evil."

The professor was quite pleased with himself and boasted to the students that he had proven once more that the Christian faith was a myth.

But this time, another student raised his hand and said, "Professor, can I ask you a question?"

"Of course," replied the professor.

The student stood up and asked, "Professor, does cold exist?"

Snickered at the young man’s question, the professor replied "Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?"

The young man replied, "In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is in reality the absence of heat. Everybody or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body, or matter, have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (- 460 degrees F) is the total absence of heat. Cold does not exist. We have created this word to describe how we feel if we have no heat.

The student continued. "Professor, does darkness exist?"

The professor responded, "Of course it does."

The student replied, "Once again you are wrong sir. Darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light we can study, but not darkness. In fact we can use Newton's prism to break white light into many colors and study the various wavelengths of each color. You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light present. Isn't this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present."

Finally the young man asked the professor, "Professor, does evil exist?"

Now uncertain, the professor responded, "Of course as I have already said. We see it every day. It is in the daily example of man's inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil."

To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no light."

The professor sat down.

Who this young man was and who so bravely challenged the question his professor is not important (although it was told, perhaps in myth that the young man was indeed Albert Einstein), but the most important point to learn is that no one can create evil. As pointed out rightly – biblically-speaking – evil is simply a word that is used to describe our situation that if we live without the presence of God, we are living in evilness and just like holiness is a word that is used to describe if we walk in the Light (that in holiness), as He Himself is in the Light, we are able to have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus will cleanse us from all sin (1 John 1:7). By "walking in the Light" we are to walk in a way that is consistent with the scriptures because the scriptures, the word of God is a lamp to guide our feet and a light to our path (Psalm 119:105) and it is also a reference that we are to live our lives that are guided by the presence of God.

As we come to witness the 10th anniversary of the World Trade disaster, we must remind ourselves that evilness of mankind has nothing to do with God. Rather, it is conscious choice and effort of some people to chose to live their lives without God’s presence in their heart. We must remind ourselves that the word ‘evil’ is just a description to describe how we live our lives. Our sinful world is the unfortunate result of human choice that we chose to please our flesh rather than to please the Holy Spirit and hence we must realize that not even Satan can force us to sin although he can tempt us to sin and to commit all kinds of irresponsible and evil act. Satan does not create evil but he can be a source of the evil in the sense he knows that man’s thinking is anything but evil. Evil in this world is not a disproof of God, but a constant reminder of our need for the perfect God of the Bible because we cannot trust even ourselves but only in God who was risen from the dead (2 Corinthians 1:8-9). We can be tempted by crafty Satan’s lies, tricks but if we put our trust in God, He will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear (1 Corinthians 10:13). Pain, suffering and death are integral parts of the material world due to Adam's sin, but our Living God, Jesus Christ offers hope through His suffering on the cross. Using God as your punching bag does not and will not relieve the pain, suffering and death which we are must face at some point of our lives.

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
[video=youtube;xHSJTa9EWsE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHSJTa9EWsE&feature=related[/video]

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
[video=youtube;PTN9luDWmT8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTN9luDWmT8&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;fm-bTW3FhL0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm-bTW3FhL0&feature=related[/video]

Cranial Blowout

Alfrescian
Loyal
Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.
Napoleon Bonaparte

Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.
Napoleon Bonaparte

gymkhana

Alfrescian
Loyal
same with Buddhism ..life is eternal. only you'd come back as a cockroach next time.

good luck attaining a higher life form.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
They Shall Speak With New Tongues

14 Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

Put it this way ... I'm the best witness because I have talked to Him. It should be that way ... the veil was torn !

There's no need for someone like a High Priest to do things for you - I have become a High Priest going in and out of the Holy Sanctuary as and when I want to.

Many will NOT believe so very few will be saved.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
same with Buddhism ..life is eternal. only you'd come back as a cockroach next time.

good luck attaining a higher life form.

wrong liao brudder............

Buddhism telling you there's no such thing as even a life or living thing..............

all ''living beings'' are just streams of thoughts............nothing more.........

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Today’s Scripture Reading [September 18, 2011]

And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven, having great power; and the earth was lightened with his glory. And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird. For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies. [Revelation 18:1-3. KJV]

The word Babylon is now used to condemn cities where ‘lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes and pride of life’ are found. In many wealthy cities today, worldly glory of ultra-tall buildings are displayed at every corner. Considering the history, grandeur, and transgressions of Babylon that had been noted for cruelty, oppression, and wickedness, it is not surprising to find the name of this city ‘Babylon’ is used as a symbol of man’s evil desire to achieve worldly glory and recognition in the Book of Revelation (Revelation 18:1-3).

Critics may have debunked that the Tower of Babel was just a biblical myth and concluded, wrongly of course, that the story of the destruction of this Tower was just a man-made tale. Many even doubted whether Babylon ever existed let alone the Tower of Babel. Bible critics used the story of Babylon, and what they called its "non-historic kings," to discount Scripture to mere ‘fairly tale’. However, Babylon was discovered and excavated in 1898. We know today that Babylon was one of the first cities in the ancient world. It founded by Nimrod, great-grandson of Noah (Genesis 10: 9–10). Archaeologists have found his name on many inscriptions and tablets, while a massive head of Nimrod has been excavated near Calah on the Tigris River.

The Bible tells the story of the Tower of Babel which many thought that it was just a bible fable fit for Sunday schools and kinder-gardens. Thankfully, now archaeologists have found evidences that confirmed the inhabitants of ancient Mesopotamia (whose inhabitants were ancient Assyrians and Babylonians) and they had a popular habit of building towers called ziggurats. Ziggurats were part of complex highly elevated temple structure. By architectural standard of that period, they were tall towers. Almost every city of importance had at least one ziggurat. It is interesting to note that, according to the Scriptures, the tower was built of brick and asphalt (Genesis 11:3), and this was the very building material found in the buildings of Babylon as discovered by modern archaeologists. These amazing prophecies are all the more astounding because Babylon that was extremely wealthy and it was located at the very center of economic trade routes of that time.

Tall buildings remind many of us of a 1974 movie “The Towering Inferno”. It was a well done disaster film that saw about 200 lost their lives, and thankfully it was not a real disaster. The movie puts two big fears together, fire and heights. That combination is now as real as it was in the reel of the 1974 movie when we saw fire occurred in several skyscrapers in recent years.

High rise buildings are now icons in all cities around the world; the wealthier the city, the higher the buildings, it seems. An article appeared in the Straits Times (September 16) with the headline: China battles curse of the skyscrapers – Frantic pace of building sparks fears over safety, economic excess. For most of us who are familiar with some ancient Bible stories, we are again promptly drawn to the story of the Tower of Babel when we read articles or hear news relating high rise buildings. The Tower of Babel was the first recorded highest building in ancient manuscripts and we can read more about this story in the Book of Genesis (11:1-9). One of the most important lessons in the story of the Tower of Babel is about man’s pride to trust themselves rather than to put the trust on God. The Babylonians were building a monument to themselves, to call attention to their own abilities and achievements instead of giving glory to God. They used ‘man-made’ materials of bricks and mortar instead of more durable ‘God-made’ materials. They wanted to build a tower that was tall enough for them to reach heaven. The people were trusting their own effort to reach heaven. In addition, they wanted to build names to themselves. Instead of glorifying God, they seek their own glory and they thought that tall towers could give them the glory.

The skyscrapers that China and also many other wealthy cities are building are no different from the people who built the Tower of Babel: they are building monuments to themselves to show off! As pointed out by a university professor who was asked to comment on China’s insatiable appetite to build high skyscrappers, this was what he has said: “Because politicians and businessmen see them as status symbol…Many of the people making such decisions today are in their 40s and 50s. They experienced great poverty and the planned economy when they were young. Now they have made it, they are especially eager to show off (by building skyscrapers).” Let us be honest. We all also try to impress others when we seem to have “come out of age, and wanted to be completely independent from God!” We make the same mistake whenever we try to impress the world and when we try to completely remove God out of our lives. In the Christian community, many would replace the preaching of the cross with a message that is more impressive, more popular, more positive, more pleasant, more palatable, and with greater showmanship but lack of theological substance. They sacrifice gospel preaching on the altar for pop-hymns, pop-dance, pop psychology, Christian rock music (which incidentally in my opinion, there is no such thing as Christian rock music!). They appeal to the world through the lust of the flesh (through emphasizing food, fun, frolic, Christian rock music), the lust of the eyes (through emphasizing impressive and imposing facilities), and the pride of life (through emphasizing a self-esteem stroking, self-affirming philosophy, self-glorifying showmanship). Instead of fire and brimstone, they minister to the hearer's felt needs. Yet, all such compromises are doomed to failure (I Corinthians 1:18-31). We thus need to quit trying to entertain the goats and get back to feeding the sheep. Gospel preachers have been given a sacred charge: They must preach the word! With courage and conviction, they must reprove, rebuke and exhort with all authority (II Timothy 4:1-5). Remember, the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Hebrews 4:12).

Like the sin city of Babylon where the people trusted so much on their ‘new found wealth’, and instead of our steadfast conviction to the word of God, many people in big countries has let the economic value of the ‘new found wealth’ lead them to abandon their rural lives and move instead to cities. They saw the icons of skyscrapers as their symbol and their way to happiness. Regrettably, many people from these big countries like China and India who have chosen to abandon rural lives have admitted their mistakes that they should have not abandoned their rural living in the first place. We read in the news paper that in China, there is a reversal of migration from city back to rural because they were disappointed with what they saw was not what they had expected to see – the icon of skyscrapers to happiness have become their icon of nightmare. This was finally what they saw!

When it comes to city living, who can really know and understand better than all of us here who are born, breed, live, and of course finally going to die as full-fledged city-dwellers. The current price-hike of private properties has caused many to lose sleep, and many are wondering when they could purchase their first home. Nonetheless, no matter how impressive the modern Babylonian cities of the world may seem to be, the people of God must maintain their distinctiveness because God demands our full allegiance, and will not countenance divided loyalties (Revelation 14:6-13). We must come out and be separate (II Corinthians 6:14-18; Revelation 18:4-5). Thus when we examine the history, grandeur, sin, overthrow, and seductiveness of Babylon, there are many lessons of spiritual importance for us to take note. First, God still rules in the kingdoms of men (Jeremiah 27:5). Two, righteousness still exalts a nation, but sin is still a disgrace to any people (Proverbs 14:34). Three, apart from God, all human accomplishments continue to be vanity and striving after the wind (Ecclesiastes 1:2). Four, Satan would tempt us through the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life (1 John 2:15-17). We must therefore not be seduced by the deceitfulness of sin (Hebrews 3:13). Rather, let us resolve to fear God and keep his commandment, recognizing that this is the whole reason for our existence (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14). It is important to note that recognizing righteousness or merely believing in Jesus is not enough. We must take specific actions to save ourselves. Noah, Joseph; Moses and Lot were all righteous and yet they all had to take specific actions to save themselves or to save people around them. Noah took specific actions by building a huge ark; Joseph took specific action by refusing to be seduced by Potiphar's wife; Moses took specific action and told the Israelites to move out of Egypt; Lot took specific action by obeying God, move out of the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. Hence just like these men of God, we too must take specific actions to live a life that is pleasing to God, not to conform to this world, and to let the spirit of God to transform us by renewing our mind in accordance to His perfect will (Romans 12:1-2).

Last edited:

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Today’s Scripture Reading [September 25, 2011]

The hand of the LORD was upon me, and carried me out in the spirit of the LORD, and set me down in the midst of the valley which was full of bones, And caused me to pass by them round about: and, behold, there were very many in the open valley; and, lo, they were very dry. And he said unto me, Son of man, can these bones live? And I answered, O Lord GOD, thou knowest. Again he said unto me, Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, O ye dry bones, hear the word of the LORD. Thus saith the Lord GOD unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live: And I will lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and ye shall live; and ye shall know that I am the LORD. [Ezekiel 37:1-6. KJV]

In these verses, we are told of a terrible vision that God shown it to Prophet Ezekiel. This vision of the valley of dry bones came to Prophet Ezekiel after God had directed him to prophesy the rebirth of the nation of Israel. The prophesy that Israel would be restored is consistently recorded throughout the Bible, both in the Old and the New Testaments. We see that the restoration of Israel right before our very eyes when in May 14 1948, the United Nations declared the establishment of the State of Israel. We must remember that this Jewish state was destroyed in A.D. 70 by the Romans which marked the second Jewish exile (the first being in 586 B.C. when the Jewish state was conquered by the Babylonians and disappeared). The destruction was not just in term of the geography of Israel when the land was occupied and ruled by non-Jewish kings. Along with this destruction was the language of Hebrew. It was thought that the language of Hebrew would never be restored. Miraculously, the language of Hebrew was restored. This nationhood restoration is unprecedented in geo-policitical history of the world because no nation which has been destroyed for so long and had been restored to full nationhood.

During these two periods of Jewish exiles, times were very tough for the Jews. We all know that victorious soldiers that conquered any land will never show any mercy to the native people of the land they had conquered. Asked your father or your grandfather (if only they are still alive) their experience with the Japanese soldiers when they defeated the British and ruled the land of Malaya and Singapore for three and a half tortuous years, they will tell you stories that you could hardly believe in! There were, indeed, dry bones all over and living conditions then were very tough, not just in terms of finding food or job. Especially for the young men, they could anytime be used as live firing targets for the Japanese soldiers to practice their shooting skill, and for young women, they could be presented to the soldiers as ‘comfort-women’, and suicides seemed to be the way out for some of the women who were caught captives and refused to submit to the evil desire of the Japanese soldiers.

But tough times, unfortunately, do not only happen during war time. Even now when we are living in a seemingly peaceful nation, every one of us, rich and poor faces tough times. No one can escape the drudgery of life that often gives us the surprises that we preferred not to have, and the most damaging result arising of these surprises is our feeling of discouragement which will lead us to a feeling of hopelessness. Thankfully, we have heard of stories by those who have successfully and victoriously conquered life adversities, turning them into opportunities and in the process of their life restoration brought glory to God. Admittedly, no one search for adversities on purpose. It would be pure madness to do so but thankfully some people who have successfully conquered life adversities could tell us that there is always a seed of an equivalent or greater benefit when we are confronted with adversities. While no one looks for adversities on purpose, whether we like it or not, we need to positively act on it when it comes. Prayerfully, through positive actions, we could learn and face these unwelcomed adversities with godly courage. Through our positive actions, prayerfully we could learn patience, endure suffering, learn tenderness, and how to prize true friends when false ones forsake us. Prayerfully, through our positive actions, we could treasure health when illness strikes. Prayerfully, through our adversities, we could restore our well-deserved relationship with our loved ones. Prayerfully, through our adversities we find life is more than just material possessions and all that matters is to follow God and obey His commandments.

But, let’s be honest! Facing life adversities is no fun because Satan is actively trying to let us give in and give up. This is because Satan is never happier than when he sees people – believers or non-believers – giving in and giving up to despair and becoming lost in hopelessness. His job is to make us giving in and giving up. Let’s admit, at some point of our lives, and it could be right now, when we feel like the whole world is caving in around us and there is absolutely no hope. Our troubles seem to mount up insurmountably, and death seems to be the way out. Even King David had faced such situations, and his son, King Solomon was no better either in spite of his riches.

As we read the news, and as we step into our office each day, we are faced with mounting news of change from financial system, to national’s political system, to cost of living, to prospect of getting unemployed, to social changes, and so on. Many of these are bad news and they are in addition to several personal problems that we all face each day such as relationship with our spouse, our kids, our in-laws, our employees, our bosses. Collectively these external pressures because of change and our internal circumstances, they give us the sense of anxiety and distress. However small this sense of anxiety and distress it may be, there is a danger that it can lead us into a bigger fear – the fear of hopelessness. Like the lost tribes of Israel or the people of Malaya and Singapore who were under the Japanese occupation, the negative result associated with this fear of hopelessness is like seeing dry bones not just on the streets but also ourselves, and death seems to be the only way out.

Just over the last two weeks or so, we heard the news of two very tragic events and both involved the death of a mother and her child. The first was a family of a research scientist and the second was a family whose wife was separated from her husband. There is no way we can put ourselves into their shoes and feel what they were feeling. Lives must be really very tough for the two women, and tragically, they chose death as their way out taking alone with theim their children. These were just two cases of the hundred of suicides recorded here. The latest report by one of a social agencies has indicated that on the average, there is one suicide a day just in this small nation of our! To the families, they really deserve our deepest sympathy but for the lost souls, yes, live could be very tough for them, but they really don’t deserve to choose this as a way out.

When we speak about tough times, and for those who are familiar with management training or have read management books, they may recall a phrase often quoted to encourage people not to give in and give up. The phrase “Tough Times Never Last but Tough People Do” is quite well-known to many management trainers and coaches. These few words were actually the title of a book written in the 1980s by Robert Harold Schuller who is a Christian pastor and author. It is a book written to help people to overcome obstacles, adversities and discouragement. While I applaud the writer for writing this book to encourage people to stay positive even when facing life adversities and give hope to people who are facing tough times, I do find that it is easier said than done to tell people who are in deep distress. It sounds too simplistic because many people are facing tough times all their lives, and to imply that good time will come, sooner or later, is a wishful thinking. We all are going to face tough times as long as we live in this cruel and unfair world and as we get closer to the coming of our Lord Jesus, our lives are going to get tougher, not easier. What is more important, scripturally-speaking, is to search and understand the purpose of the tough times that we are in. Though we cannot understand exactly why we are in a particularly situation but we do know that if we have faith in Him, we will be restored. Just like God is using Ezekiel’s vision as a picture for what God is about to do – restore the people back to their land – God is using our tough situation to restore us to Him. It is important to note that Israel’s new life depended on God’s power and not the circumstances of the people. Putting “breath” by God’s Spirit in the bones showed that God would not only restore them physically but spiritually as well; He brings tough times into our lives not only to bring us back to him, but to bring us back to ourselves, to get us to see the world the way He sees it, and to get us to be more considerate and compassionate toward people.

With our own strength, we can never conquer the unconquerable which could be our life adversities. Remember, every conflict Christ has with Satan, Jesus overcame the obstacles by using the word of God. In each and every recorded case, He declared, “It is written.” Hence in our circumstances, and let’s be frank, often they are not pretty, we need to go to the word of God to see what God has to tell us. The word of God “is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Hebrews 4:12)", and “is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path (Psalms 119:105)." We need to go to the very basic of the written word of God because it is the word of God that gives us the hope (Romans 15:4). But simply hearing the word of God is not good enough without putting them into practice. The gospel brings light but the Spirit of God brings sight. We must hence let the Spirit of God to operate within us and help us to prepare for life adversities by living a godly life as taught by the word of God, and when the time comes, when are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it (Daniel 3:17). Tough times are here and they are here to stay. Let’s be prepared by staying alert, spiritually, and claim the promises from God that our God is much greater than we can ever know or imagine, and when we chose to be faithful to Him, He will deliver us from the furnace of fire or the lions’ den.

Last edited:

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Today’s Scripture Reading [October 2, 2011]

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children. [Hosea 4:6. KJV]

The effect of rapid increase in the amount of information has caused challenges and problems of unprecedented scale to both people and corporations. For example, as the amount of available data grows the problem of managing the information becomes more difficult. For corporations this is a big challenge as they try to maintain the most up-to-date information in their corporate database. It is going to be a serious disaster for companies, especially financial institutions to use outdated information, and computer data security experts can tell you that all take it takes is to wipe out or corrupt substantial parts of the database of an major international bank, there will be serious negative effect not just to that bank itself but the negative effect will be trickled dangerously into global financial system. On the social front, many people are now facing the challenge of filtering out what to read, what not to read, deciding and discerning the reliability of information, the truth from the false. While the increase in information and knowledge can bring some obvious and tangible benefits particularly in the area of medical sciences, rapid increase of knowledge can and has harmed people. In the Book of Ecclesiastes, King Solomon has already accurately prophesied about this more than two thousand years ago with these words: “For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow (Ecclesiastes 1:18)”

In searching for information and knowledge, the ability to discern its contents is the most important aspect for any reader. While some information can easily be discerned for its accuracy, others may not be so easy, so for example, it would be pure madness to believe that the “world is flat” but it is not so easy to tell between who is preaching the true Gospel of Jesus and who is not. When it comes to discerning written word of God, we need the Spirit of God to help us to discern whether what is being preached to us is true or false. It is important that we know the truth because the truth will set us free (John 8:32) – free from Satan’s lies and from the bondage to evil and sin.

Although discernment can simply be defined as ‘the act or process of exhibiting keen insight and good judgment, or keenness of insight and judgment’, it really requires wisdom in order for us to fully exercise it to distinguish between what is true and what is false. This is particular critical when it comes to the search for the knowledge of God because what we believe in (or not believe in) will have a serious consequences on our life not just on this earth but also on our eternal destiny. A comment by John MacArthur, a well-known preacher that “an important gift for the protection of the church is that of discernment, the distinguishing of spirits” could well summarize our need to examining and judging sermons in order to determine what is genuine and what is spurious. We must be mindful that Satan is the great deceiver, “the father of lies (John 8:44)”, and he and his demons are ever-ready to counterfeit God’s message and God’s work. We should therefore judge carefully what we hear and what we read and “not believe every spirit, but test the spirit to see whether they are from God because in the world there are many false prophets (1 John 4:1)”.

Below is a sermon, Seven Characteristics of False Teachers by Thomas Brooks, a renowned 16th century British preacher. Listening to sermons is one thing, discerning them is another and hence I pray that this sermon will reinforce our much-needed spirit of discernment to distinguish who are the false teachers (and also the false prophets) and by these characters we may know them, and so shun them, and deliver our souls out of our dangerous snares.

Seven Characteristics of False Teachers

That Satan labors might and main, by false teachers, which are his messengers and ambassadors, to deceive, delude, and for ever undo the precious souls of men.

“So guard yourselves and God’s people. Feed and shepherd God’s flock—his church, purchased with his own blood—over which the Holy Spirit has appointed you as elders. I know that false teachers, like vicious wolves, will come in among you after I leave, not sparing the flock. Even some men from your own group will rise up and distort the truth in order to draw a following. (Acts 20: 28-30)

These people are false apostles. They are deceitful workers who disguise themselves as apostles of Christ. But I am not surprised! Even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. So it is no wonder that his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. In the end they will get the punishment their wicked deeds deserve. (2 Corinthians 11: 13-15)

Then we will no longer be immature like children. We won’t be tossed and blown about by every wind of new teaching. We will not be influenced when people try to trick us with lies so clever they sound like the truth. (Ephesians 4:14)

They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God. They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that! They are the kind who work their way into people’s homes and win the confidence of vulnerable women who are burdened with the guilt of sin and controlled by various desires. (2 Timothy 3: 4-6)

They must be silenced, because they are turning whole families away from the truth by their false teaching. And they do it only for money. Even one of their own men, a prophet from Crete, has said about them, “The people of Crete are all liars, cruel animals, and lazy gluttons.” (Titus 1:11-12)

They brag about themselves with empty, foolish boasting. With an appeal to twisted sexual desires, they lure back into sin those who have barely escaped from a lifestyle of deception. They promise freedom, but they themselves are slaves of sin and corruption. For you are a slave to whatever controls you. (2 Peter 2: 18-19)

“I saw that the prophets of Samaria were terribly evil, for they prophesied in the name of Baal and led my people of Israel into sin. (Jeremiah 23:13)

This is what the Lord says: “You false prophets are leading my people astray! You promise peace for those who give you food, but you declare war on those who refuse to feed you. (Micah 3:5)

“Beware of false prophets who come disguised as harmless sheep but are really vicious wolves.” (Matthew 7:15)

Watch out for those dogs, those people who do evil, those mutilators who say you must be circumcised to be saved. (Philippians 3:2)

Now, the best way to deliver poor souls from being deluded and destroyed by these messengers of Satan is, to discover them in their colors, that so, being known, poor souls may shun them, and fly from them as from hell itself.

Now you may know them by the following characteristics:

THE FIRST CHARACTER

False teachers are men-pleasers (Galatians 1:10; 1 Thessalonians 2:1-4). They preach more to please the ear than to profit the heart: “Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophecy no unto us right things: speak to us smooth things; prophecy deceits” (Isaiah 30:10).

“A wonderful and horrible thing is committed in the land: the prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests bear rule by their means, and my people love to have it so. And what will you do in the end thereof?” (Jeremiah 5:30,31).

They handle holy things rather with wit and dalliance (playful come-on) then with fear and reverence. False teachers are soul-undoers. They are like evil surgeons that skin over the wound, but never heal it. Flattery undid Ahab and Herod, Nero and Alexander. False teachers are hell’s greatest enrichers. “Not bitter, but flattering words do all the mischief”, said Valerian, the Roman emperor. Such smooth teachers are sweet soul-poisoners (Jeremiah 23:16-17).

THE SECOND CHARACTER

False teachers are notable in casting dirt, scorn, and reproach upon the persons, names, and credits of Christ’s most faithful ambassadors. Thus Korah, Dathan, and Abiram charged Moses and Aaron that they took too much upon them, seeing all the congregation was holy (Numbers 16:3). You take too much state, too much power, too much honor, too much holiness upon you; for what are you more than others, that you take so much upon you? And so Ahab’s false prophets fell foul on good Micaiah, paying of him with blows for want of better reasons (1 Kings 22:10 – 26). Yea, Paul, that great apostle of the Gentiles, had his ministry undermined and his reputation blasted by false teachers: “For his letters”‘ say they, “are weighty and powerful, but his bodily presence is weak and contemptible” (2 Corinthians 10:10).

They rather contemn him than admire him; they look upon him as a dunce rather than a doctor. And the same hard measure had our Lord Jesus from the Scribes and Pharisees, who labored as for life to build their own credit upon the ruins of his reputation. And never did the devil drive a more full trade this way than he does in these days (Matthew 27:63). Oh! the dirt, the filth, the scorn that is thrown upon those whom the world is not worthy. I suppose false teachers mind not that saying of Austin, “He that willingly takes from my good name, unwillingly adds to my reward.”

THE THIRD CHARACTER

False teachers are venters of the devices and visions of their own heads and hearts.

“Then the Lord said unto me, The prophets prophesy lies in my name: I sent then not, neither have I commanded them, neither spake unto them: they prophecy unto you a false vision and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their heart (Jeremiah 14:14).

“Thus saith the Lord of hosts, Hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophecy unto you; they make you vain: they speak a vision of their own heart, and not out of the mouth of the Lord” (Jeremiah 23:16).

Are there not multitudes in this nation whose visions are but golden delusions, lying vanities, brainsick fantasies? These are Satan’s great benefactors, and such as divine justice will hang up in hell as the greatest malefactors, if the physician of souls does not prevent it.

THE FOURTH CHARACTER

False teachers easily pass over the great and weighty things both of law and gospel, and stand most upon those things that are of the least moment and concernment to the souls of men.

“Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned; from which some have swerved, have turned aside unto vain jangling, desiring to be teachers of the law, and understand neither what they say nor whereof they affirm” (1 Timothy 1:5-7).

“Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint, and anise and cumin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith; these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone” (Matthew 23:2,3).

False teachers are nice in the lesser things of the law, and as negligent in the greater.

“If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness, he is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strife of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, perverse disputings of men corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself” (1 Timothy 6:3-5).

If such teachers are not hypocrites in grain, I know nothing, Romans 2:22. The earth groans to bear them, and hell is fitted for them (Matthew 24:32).

THE FIFTH CHARACTER

False teachers cover and color their dangerous principles and soul-impostures with very fair speeches and plausible pretenses, with high notions and golden expressions. Many in these days are bewitched and deceived, viz. illumination, revelation, deification, fiery triplicity. As prostitutes paint their faces, and deck and perfume their beds, the better to allure and deceive simple souls (Galatians 6:12; 2 Corinthians 11:13-15; Romans 16:17,18; Matthew 16:6,11,12; Matthew 7:15), so false teachers will put a great deal of paint and garnish upon their most dangerous principles and blasphemies, that they may the better deceive and delude poor ignorant souls. They know sugared poison goes down sweetly; they wrap up their pernicious, soul-killing pills in gold.

THE SIXTH CHARACTER

False teachers strive more to win over men to their opinions, than to better them in their conversations.

“Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves” (Matthew 24:17).

They busy themselves most about men’s heads. Their work is not to better men’s hearts, and mend their lives; and in this they are very much like their father the devil, who will spare no pains to gain proselytes.

THE SEVENTH CHARACTER

False teachers make merchandise of their followers.

“But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not” (2 Peter 2:1-3).

They eye your goods more than your good; and mind more the serving of themselves, than the saving of your souls. So they may have your substance, they care not though Satan has your souls (Revelation 18:11-13). That they may the better pick your purse, they will hold forth such principles as are very indulgent to the flesh. False teachers are the great worshippers of the golden calf (Jeremiah 6:13).

-----------End of Thomas Brooks’ Sermon on Seven Characteristics of False Teachers-----------​

Last edited:

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Today’s Scripture Reading [October 9, 2011]

For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. [Acts 20:29. KJV]

In my last week’s sharing I had the opportunity of sharing with you the characteristics of seven false teachers (and false prophets) bases on a sermon by Thomas Brooke, a renowned 16th century English preacher, and as an extension of that sermon, I hope my message today could well supplement my last week’s message for you to discern the true from the false.

Wolves are commonly used as an analogy for certain forms of despicable human behaviour, such as misfit politicians who have abused their authority and mislead others into believing their endless lies and deception for their own selfish greed. To others, the mere mention of the word “wolf”, they would quick to associate with any person who is ferocious, savage and ready to attack and kill.

While the first analogy seems fair and accurate, from a biologist’s standpoint, you may be surprised that wolves are not as ferocious, as savage, as an animal that is all ready to attack as they all seem to have been made out to be. Quite to the contrary, wolves are very sociable, and can be friendly even to human. In reality, wolves have a basic aversion to fighting and will do much to avoid any aggressive encounters unless they are being provoked or threatened. It has been observed that some wolves have the tendency even to become frantically upset upon witnessing fight among members of their flock as well as with other animals. The distressed wolves would intervene and eventually would break up the fight by pulling the aggressors off by the tail. The wolf generally possesses a kind personality that in humans would be labeled "agreeable." This nonviolent nature that is inherent in wolves usually would be very advantageous, considering that wolves spend most of their time in the company of other wolves. As social animals, they move and hunt in pack and it would function very inefficiently and ineffectively if its members were constantly at each other's throats. Furthermore, wolves are very intelligent and they knew what kind of behaviour they should display under each circumstances that will give them the highest chance of survival. Even within their own pack, they could easily shift from being a dominant wolf to a subordinate wolf and vice versa as conditions change and show all the traits associated with those roles that are demanded from time to time. They are master role-players and great actors! No wonder we are all warned by Jesus of wolves whose outward appearance are anything but deceiving (Matthew 7:15; 10:16; Luke 10:3).

From the scripture stand points, wolves are described as false prophets and the Bible uses wolves as an analogy for those who prey upon God’s “sheep”. This means that they appear externally to be godly men, even preachers, but they are false, dishonest, unreliable and untrustworthy. Inwardly, they are ravenous beasts who are fundamentally self-serving, interested primarily in what they can get rather than what they can give. They are more concerned with your goods than your good. They rise up with big titles and put themselves above others, acting as though they are in many ways superior to those around them. Most, I must admit, knew the Bible very well but they speak perverse things, distorting and misinterpreting the word of God – on purpose, of course - to suit their lustful and greedy desire. They are unreliable as teachers of doctrinal truth. Instead of drawing disciples for Jesus which must be the fundamental purpose of all Christian ministries and outreach, they draw disciples after themselves. They are self-serving and they want people to be dependent on them, not the Lord. They work toward that aim and try very hard to be indispensible, like “without them, nothing can move!”

But what motivate them to act like wolves and, worst, be human-wolves? It’s all about greed and its close cousin, covetousness. Greed (and covetousness) in our world is a very strong desire and it changes who we are! Honestly, often men of God started well and truly wanted to serve our Living God. They usually began serving the Lord with meagre possessions, did not know whether their next meal would ever come. They faithfully depended on God’s provision. These are true stories we heard and I have no doubt it’s always been like that for many men of God who are being called to serve our Living God initially. They started out with second–hand clothes, second-shoes, second-hand car, second-hand luggage, just about everything they possessed could just be second-hand. Truly, many started very humbly and sincerely wanted to serve God and to serve God well. Having new or branded goods is never in their agenda. And you know what? Sadly, over time, they let success go to their head and become so puffed up beyond recognition. This could be the start for them to do other things which may actually lead to failure or even downfall. It is now not uncommon to hear of very successful missionaries and church leaders have fallen in disgrace. They, somehow, have become wolves in sheep’s clothing having led their success gone into their head. The membership of their church grew exponentially so was their personal status, their personal wealth. Perhaps we should not prejudge the case, but, let’s be honest, what can you make out of if you were to read a news with the headline “A pastor in $ 25 million fraud probe – Elders of country’s largest church accuse founder and son of misappropriating fund” ? This was the news that exactly appeared in our local newspaper relating to a South Korea pastor (ST September 22, 2011). I have no intention to go into the details of this story because I don’t think anyone really know its truth, and after all, the case is still under investigation. However, greed has caused the downfall of many men of high social standing both in the religion world and in the commercial world. I hope everyone of us still remember high-profile scandals of Enron and the king of the ponzi, Madoff. The hard earned monies of many elderly just disappeared overnight because of few wolves! For us as children of God, we should not be distracted by what is taking place today in the commercial world and we must continue our focus the Christian community, the church we attend, the messages that are being preached by our pastors or invited preachers.

In Acts 20:29, Apostle Paul has referred wolves to be among us. They are not the Pope, but they could be our church leaders who pretend to be serving God while they are indeed serving Satan. Since the days of Acts, we have always had wolves in among the flock. This is one of the prophecies that we can see them alive in today’s Christian community and churches. These wolves, like Satan, know the Bible very well, and they look for ways to turn and twist the word of God. They can and do deceive so very many especially for those do not read the Bible or read them well enough. Since these flock of sheep do not know the word of God well enough, their tendency is to accept whatever a pastor, a minister or an evangelist tells them. These wolves come in all sizes and shapes, in all colors. They will come dressed as the sheep and their words sound so very good to those who do not know the word of God themselves. These wolves will eat and tear the weak who could not stand up for God because of their lack of the knowledge of the word of God. It is thus important that only by knowing the word of God, as is in the True Bible, that you can identify who the wolves are, and thereby, be able to defend yourself against them, and in all likelihood, prevent them from snatching you right out. The word of God, the Bible must be read every day, and we all must form a habit of checking on the creditability of the messages that we hear. Given the easy access of information in the internet, we can google for commentaries and make comparisons of what are being taught by different preachers. Let me tell you that if you really commit yourself and want to seek the truth, and if you have sincerely and faithfully prayed to God that you want nothing but only the truth from Him, you can discern the messages – the true from the false! The Holy Spirit is the best Teacher and He will guide you along in your search for God’s truth. Remember, God has a place for wolves. He will strangle the wolves with the clothing of the sheep because when the true word of God is spoken, it will destroy the wolves who will be shown as the liars. In John 10:16, Jesus has also told us that He, as our only shepherd will protect us and bring us to His fold but in order for Him to do this we need to know His voice which is the word of God.

Last edited:

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
brudder.....................keep posting this kind of crap that no one wants to read.....................and no one with half a brain will believe anyway...................

you not sian meh ?

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
brudder.....................keep posting this kind of crap that no one wants to read.....................and no one with half a brain will believe anyway...................

you not sian meh ?

he siao already lah ...he thought hes god messager :wink:

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Today’s Scripture Reading [October 16, 2011]

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. [Isaiah 53:6. KJV]

Over the last two weeks I have shared with you all two messages and both messages were about false teachers and false prophets. We can well notice in the Bible, God is not apologetic when He equates false teachers and false prophets to wolves. As shared in my message last week, wolves are commonly used as an analogy for certain forms of despicable human behaviour, and such analogy should allow us to see and to discern who false teachers and false prophets are. We all know, all hungry wolves go after sheep, and we must be warned that all ‘hungry’ false teaches and false prophets prey upon God’s sheep.

Throughout the Bible, sinners in general, and God’s people in particular, are described as sheep and, hence, it is of scriptural importance that we understand why sheep is used by God to describe us as sinners. The best way to get to this understanding is to look at the character and the behaviour of sheep, just what I did last week when I shared with you why the character and behaviour of wolf that is used as an analogy in describing despicable human behaviour.

There is a piece of good news for you (but please hold your breathe because, there is also a bad news). The good news is that the Bible compares us, sinners, to sheep and rather than comparing us to bears, tigers, lions or leopards, or wolves (except, of course those false teachers and false prophets!) But now the bad news - it is of no consolation that we are being compared to sheep. Sheep are stupid with many shortcomings and flaws in their behaviour. These shortcomings and flaws have always worked against them. Because of their character flaws and shortcomings, when sheep are left alone, they will surely perish. Sheep are the only domestic animals that cannot survive alone on the wild. Among their many shortcomings and character flaws, sheep are animal with few (if any) capabilities to survive without tender care of a shepherd. They cannot even handle simple tasks because they have very poor learning ability, unlike many other animals which can be trained to do even complex tasks. As an illustration, many of us must have been to circus and were entertained with some very unusual performances by many kinds of animals, big and small, such as tigers, lions, elephants, cats, dogs, and even small birds! Often we wondered how could these animals be trained to perform those unusual acts. Much credit must also be given to those professional trainers who must have spent all their lives studying and understanding the behaviour of animals. One interesting observation is that though we have seen many types of animals performing at the circus, we could hardly see any sheep perform in circus. I believe the reason is obvious. Sheep are very, very difficult or even impossible to train to even do simple task, let alone to train them to be circus superstar! It looks like even the most experienced animal trainers would find it impossible to train them to do even basic circus tricks to entertain the audience. They need perhaps to leave it to only God because only He and He alone can be their Trainer. No one else can!

Given what we know about sheep, we can now understand why some unkind phrases like “He is like a silly lamb” or “He is a stray sheep” are used as analogy on someone who has character shortcomings. Because sheep is commonly used as analogy on recalcitrant people, it is thus important to understand some of the real behaviour of sheep especially when the Bible has described dozens of time and equating sinners to sheep. By nature, sheep have three striking character flaws that are not apparent in other animals such as:

First, sheep are stupid, or perhaps some may want to be more politically-correct and prefer to say they are not the smartest animal in the world. Because of their folly, they are constantly getting in terrible situations. A story was told by a shepherd that he came upon two wolves that had cunningly crept right into the midst of the flock. There they had killed a lamb and were eating it but the other sheep just stood around watching them. They didn’t run for their lives because they didn't know the danger. They're stupid. For many of us, we are like that and we behaviour the same way! We don’t know the dangers are ahead of us even though the dangers can be very apparent. When people are away from the Lord and do not know the way of God, they live lives just like sheep. They are often just plain dumb and foolish (Jeremiah 5:4)!

Second, sheep are directionless. A sheep that wanders off from the rest of the herd, find itself hard, if not impossible, finding its way back. They have no sense of direction. So it is with those who live their lives outside the Lord; there is simply no sense of spiritual direction in their lives. They cannot find their way to the Lord by themselves. It is also observed that if one of the herds move, the rest would just follow even it is not a good idea. People too are like that. We just follow what others are doing even though it is not a good idea, and the latest craze for the latest model of iPhone is a perfect example. People simply followed the crowd and prepared to queue for many hours just to get buy it. Follow the crowd, follow the leader, that’s what sheep do without really knowing the reasons of doing it.

Third, sheep are defenseless. From anatomy point of view, sheep have no natural defense mechanism to protect them from external threats. They have no claws, no sharp teeth, no terrible horns. They can't climb trees or squirt mace like a skunk. They can’t fly. The wools is no armored plate and cannot protect them from the predators’ teeth or claws. There is no mighty roar to frighten their enemies. Their ‘mightiest’ call for help can only be best used in children’s nursery rhymes! Unlike other animals, such as lions or tigers which have teeth and claws, bears have the same, snakes have fangs, and even the fowls of the air have some type of defensive mechanism. But not so with sheep. They have absolutely no means of protecting themselves from danger. If they are attacked, they are simply helpless! Again, people are the same. We cannot protect ourselves, and if we think we can without a help from a shepherd, we are going to be disappointed. If we think that we have all the head-knowledge and can live without a shepherd, we are dead wrong. Just like sheep that need a shepherd to protect them, we too need Someone to protect us against this dark, cruel and evil world that we live in, and this Someone is our Creator!

Because of their very nature, sheep need a shepherd to make sure that their lives would not be prematuredly cut short, they need to be properly tended and guided so that they could return safely to their pen. The rod of the shepherd who tended and guided them would make up for the lack of their natural protective mechanism. Like sheep, we are helpless in many situations, and like sheep that are totally dependent on shepherds to keep them safe, we too need our Shepherd, Jesus Christ to keep us safe. Like a shepherd who is tending his herd will do everything in his power to find a lost sheep, and when he does find it, he returns home with it rejoicing in that he has recovered that sheep that was missing, and in the same manner, our good Shepherd, Jesus Christ too will use every means to find us and bring us back to Him. To a shepherd, it is no fun when one of his sheep is missing, and in the same manner, our good Shepherd, Jesus Christ, too, will grieve for the lost of His beloved children because it is His desire that none of us perish (1 Timothy 2:4; 2 Peter 3:9). It is therefore important for us not to act and behaviour like sheep, be foolish because our foolishness, our ungodly behaviour can grieve the Spirit of God (Ephesians 4:30).

There are many verses in the Bible, in particular the 23rd Psalm, illustrate very clearly and wonderfully that the relationship between our God and us is like the relationship of a shepherd and his sheep. Just like a sheep which is a shepherd’s special personal possession, he has to pay a personal price to own his sheep and isn’t going to stand idly and do nothing when he realizes that one of his sheep is missing. Similarly, the price Jesus paid at the Calvary for His sheep (that is the believers) will not be easily snatched away and He will do everything to bring us back to Him but only when we response to His call and live our lives in repentance. It is therefore of scriptural importance that we glorify God by our godly behaviour (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). To a shepherd, there are no big sheep and little sheep. Every sheep he possessed is precious in his eyes. So it is with our Lord. He loves all His sheep (and lambs) equally. We all may have our character flaws, and our bosses may despise us, our friends may look down on us, and even our family members may stay away from us but in God’s sight, we are all so precious that He has chosen us to be His greatest personal possession before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:4).

Last edited:

Muthukali

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yxaIGvI6Y8Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

interesting....

gymkhana

Alfrescian
Loyal
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w9a6blduFb0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Welcome to a new world