• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tips of surviving your retrenchment

KopiJoe

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Friends

I would like to share a few tips of mine on how to manage and survive if you are one of the unfortunates that saw the axed dropped on you. I myself was retrenched in 2002 and was out of job for 8 months during that time. That 8 months was an experience but I learnt many things along the way.

If I may pls let me list down what I will do if I got axed again which is another possibility given current times.

- Take the next offer on the table be it 20% or 40% salary cut. Some pay is always better than no pay.
- Never consider long or short term career goals whoever throw the next offer on the table. Again some pay is of course better than no pay.
- Apply to the banks to restructure your mortgage payments to only paying interest component for the time being. Use maximum CPF to the extent you can. Do that for car loans if needed as well.
- Apply for part time teaching or tutoring with MOE and tertiary schools as there is constant demand for relief teaching. And the best thing is you got some money and time to continue hunt for your next job.
- Look through all your name cards you have gathered and write to your contacts. Dont be shy and be upfront on your situation and let them know to sound you out if they hear of any opportunities. Dont waste time with recruitment agencies as they will be having a big stack of resume.
- Write unsolicited letters direct to the relevant senior manager of companies that you have relevant experience to contribute. For instance, if you are a financial controller you should write to the CFO. In order to get the name of the CFO, one small trick is to call the main line of Company XXX and said that you are Joe Blogg of AsiaFinance Conf and would like to extend an invitation to the CFO of XXX. Ask for the name and the recep will be more than happy to provide the name to you.
- Suspend all professional and club membership fees if needed.
- Spend some time doing volunteer work as this will keep you going spiritually and the intangible pleasure of helping others in need.

I hope the above will help some of you and I hope others will share some advice as well. Dont be dispair look on the brighter side and use this period as a opportunity to reassess where you want to head. Also spend lots of quality time with your loved ones.

Good Luck!

tate

Alfrescian
Loyal
More tips:

Learn how to polish shoes, once you have acquired the skill, make sure you polish 2 person shoes, your boss and the HR manager. They are the 2 key person who has a say in whether you get retrenched or not.

So get some good shoe polish and polish your boss and the HR manager's shoes :biggrin:

VeryWise

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey Bro,

It's indeed wise advice. I'm a recent retrenchee and is actively looking for a job. Been to a few interviews and hope to score a job by end of the year. It's been tough but you are really right to say that family support and concerns from loved ones are really something that keep my spirits high.

Hi Friends

I would like to share a few tips of mine on how to manage and survive if you are one of the unfortunates that saw the axed dropped on you. I myself was retrenched in 2002 and was out of job for 8 months during that time. That 8 months was an experience but I learnt many things along the way.

If I may pls let me list down what I will do if I got axed again which is another possibility given current times.

- Take the next offer on the table be it 20% or 40% salary cut. Some pay is always better than no pay.
- Never consider long or short term career goals whoever throw the next offer on the table. Again some pay is of course better than no pay.
- Apply to the banks to restructure your mortgage payments to only paying interest component for the time being. Use maximum CPF to the extent you can. Do that for car loans if needed as well.
- Apply for part time teaching or tutoring with MOE and tertiary schools as there is constant demand for relief teaching. And the best thing is you got some money and time to continue hunt for your next job.
- Look through all your name cards you have gathered and write to your contacts. Dont be shy and be upfront on your situation and let them know to sound you out if they hear of any opportunities. Dont waste time with recruitment agencies as they will be having a big stack of resume.
- Write unsolicited letters direct to the relevant senior manager of companies that you have relevant experience to contribute. For instance, if you are a financial controller you should write to the CFO. In order to get the name of the CFO, one small trick is to call the main line of Company XXX and said that you are Joe Blogg of AsiaFinance Conf and would like to extend an invitation to the CFO of XXX. Ask for the name and the recep will be more than happy to provide the name to you.
- Suspend all professional and club membership fees if needed.
- Spend some time doing volunteer work as this will keep you going spiritually and the intangible pleasure of helping others in need.

I hope the above will help some of you and I hope others will share some advice as well. Dont be dispair look on the brighter side and use this period as a opportunity to reassess where you want to head. Also spend lots of quality time with your loved ones.

Good Luck!