• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tips for doing business in OZ

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
You said the magic words, Char Kway Tiao. Perhaps some humour for the lunch crowd.

Maybe set up fish and chips shop. Just add oil and batter to imported hoki fish fillets :biggrin:

Remove fish from oil when you get the same golden color that you see in other fish and chips shops

Same for fries and spring rolls (buy frozen in bulk).

Put fish on grease paper and wrap in borrowed (from wife) non-bleach mahjong paper. (is there another name for this type of paper - saw them in Officeworks)

In NZ, they use newspaper for the outermost layer to save money. :biggrin:

But in Aus, when retire, can become politician like Pauline.

Lets join hands to form 'PAP nation' and obtain some funding from SG ??

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Transplanting a successful Singapore business
I remembered counting how long "Beard Papa" can last in Morley Galleria or even "Prima Taste" on Perth's Barrack St. It just won't work!

Bubble-tea did not quite work out.

While it is possible for "Bee Cheng Hiang", "Genki Sushi" to thrive in Hongkong.
"Sushi-Tei" only got a toe-hold in Sydney. It helps that sushi is Aussie finger food now.

Then there is Singapore's Harry. http://www.harryschillicrab.com.au/

Bubble tea seem to be doing ok in Sydney. Not as "hot" as before but can still find heaps of bubble tea outlets here. Ezy-way is pretty popular around here.

Genki-Sushi, Sushi-tei not being big here is not a surprised. I was appalled when I went back to Singapore at the quality of the sushi they have there. Sydney has a lot of good quality sushi. Try Makoto at world square. For Japanese Ramen, try Menya in chinatown or ichiban-bossi opposite kino. You also have heaps of authentic ramen place in north shore region. I think its hard for Genki or Sushi-tei to make it in Sydney because the quality they offer is really sub-par compared to the true authentic Japanese taste you can find in Sydney. :smile: Hmmmm makes me hungry now, think I'll go to a Ramen place after work.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wrote about lawyers, accountants, engineers and valuers and you home in on food and come out with Kway Yeow. Why do you need an accountant if you want to fry Kway Teow. And I put the accountant as the first tip.

The tips are to help as many people as possible as not all migrants went to Uni or have a professional qualifications. Have heart for those that can't secure a high end jobs.

The tips are everyone. I started with getting a job , then settling down and then running a business. I am not advocating a running and giving up on quality o life. If I did, I won't be writing about jobs and settling down.

You tend to take things literally and think that everything must apply to you.

Don;t be ngative , be positive and think for others who might not have a nest egg or degree to back them. There are also some spouses who prefer to engage in a sideline using the home.

Scroobal's English is too deep or simply no one understands him.. He is advocating Char Kway Tiao concept.. OMG! I wonder where you can find a sinkie with those sets of skills ? Most sinkies cant even cook for a decent meal.. How many hairdresser can we find ? Pengz..

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The greeks,Italians and asians I am referring to are self employed. An employee cannot inflate their income.

I think this pattern the Oz or Ca govt oredi know. Think of it from anther perspective, a shelf employed person can also inflat the income pay more but pay less taxes thru biz write-off and eventually get a bigger mortgage to buy more rental property.

Disclaim: I do not have any accounting qualification but this is only from my "O" Level understanding only. So tolong dont blindly follow this advise check with your accountant

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lets join hands to form 'PAP nation' and obtain some funding from SG ??

My accounting only 'O', you think Temasek will lend?

They will only lend to Wall St banks, highly helicopted type (no offense to the MBAs, Phds around - I am not referring to you :biggrin:)

I think all we need is marketing.

A Merlion mermaid wearing this
sia2.jpg
holding a plate of fish and chips.
golden%20arowana.jpg

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just mention Ho Jinx send you and they will give you a couple of million mate. :biggrin:

Hey, I am not kidding you ! I think I can get some funding from the VIC State Govt, if I can setup a place/association maintaining a certain community group. I'm not sure about the criteria thou.. The same applies to providing housing for the lower income group. They'll fund 75% and you fund 25%. I can't elaborate too much.. cant be bother to read more.. but if PAP govt is interested, probably we can get fundings from both sides !!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, since you brought up passive income, thought I will share one version of it.

Passive Income & Opportunity Cost

Though passive income is usually defined as initial hardwork yielding income stream for years to come. Typically as you pointed out they are things like rental income and also tiered periodic commissions from Insurance / mortage sales, royalties, dividends from shares etc.

Here is another angle. Do you know why sr executives in banks, blue chip companies etc do not quit and run their own companies. Here is the reason why and despite having large responsibilities

1) No personal monetary risk or commitment as they work for a large firm or MNC
2) There travel & entertainment expenses are sometimes much more than the Annual income. Compute 47 business trips a year, flying Business Class costing $9K USD per trip for air fare and $2000 USD for hotel bill/ tips. local transport for a typical 3 day stay, and opportunity to sight see, meet people from various cultures and going to amazing places, take holidays as side trip. We are talking about $517K USD per year in T&E. All company expenses with taxes.
3) Guess the number of free tickets for family in 1 year to the furthest place on earth.
4) Staying in the comfort of your airconditioned office and just using your brain power to delegate work to staff, provide directions and make strategic decisions.
5) Bonuses up to 70s.

Guess what happens when you are doing all the above and in a line of work that you love? And I am not talking about Sr Management of Companies that travel 1st class. Its just middle management in an MNC that has a global responsibility.

Take another example but this time a professional such as doctor or Engineer who runs his own business but gets paid travel from pharmaceutical companies and large vendors to attend seminars and conferences at exotic locations. Own expenses that are tax deductible.

Some of the best and brightest work for the best companies around the world. That is also the reason why people struggle thru schools, universities pursing degrees and burning the midnight oil.

And its not about money. It about opportunities to travel, meet interesting people, use the huge resources of your company to invent things, build systems, introduce new ideas and help change the world for the better.

Thats opportunity costs. Ever worked for Barclays, GE, Chase etc.

You call do all the above and still have quality time with your kids. Your kids will be boasting about you during the Career Day talk in school, your kids will travel to the most exotic places on god's green earth from the frequent flyer points. They will eventually go to the best schools in the world.

These people would have also invested their bonuses and income in properties, shares, and other people's business and all these are passive income.

The world is your oyster and the best thing that you can do is make sure your kids understand that and go on to realise their full potential.

The majority owner of Fish & Co, the successful seafood based chain of restaurants in Singapore retired as an executive with SIA and has migrated to S Africa to retire on a large plot of land. He has seen the world over 30 years and its only a local company. He does not run the business but his minority partner does. His income is passive income from start to finish. Only looks at the annual P&L.

Just a perspective.

Hi brother,

In my case, i go for passive income or business that really did not need me to spend too much time on it (Eg. started in Vending Machine, went on to i have Employment Agency that bring in only FT to Canada). Passive Income comes from my rental properties which the FT is staying. This way, i can spend time guiding my 2 Teens kids and spending time with the 2 younger ones.
Regards

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hate to bring negative response to your assumption. You quoted Originally Posted by scroobal View Post
Its only an idiot that sells high and hoping to buy low delays pruchases and rents. That is in the realm of speculating, something you do not do for a family home.

I happened to know this IDIOT in Mel.. bought a condo in 2004 for SGD450k sold in 2007 for SGD1.1mil.. stayed in rental hse for 2yrs and recently bought a hse Jan/Mar 2009 for AUD 900k in cash !Within a short period from 2004 to 2009/2010.. I presume his profit is no less than 800k! mind you it is juz single hse investment alone. This idiot happens to stay near me and he did it for the family !! If "idiots" like him and me did the same.. this makes the writer a fool ?

You have your perspectives.. in particular in housing and real estate.. it does not mean we have to take your comment blindly. Still arguing hses on main road ? hehe.

Btw I am a proud diploma & "O" level holders.. My inferior overseas degree is no match for the local NUS and NTU..

The tips are to help as many people as possible as not all migrants went to Uni or have a professional qualifications. Have heart for those that can't secure a high end jobs.

You tend to take things literally and think that everything must apply to you.

Don;t be ngative , be positive and think for others who might not have a nest egg or degree to back them. There are also some spouses who prefer to engage in a sideline using the home.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its probably that you do not understand. You tend to pick things out of context without reading the whole. You did that with selling food but ignored laywers and accountants. Thats applying selective reasoning which does not make sense.

I will explain in simple terms. When its a residential home, you never ever speculate. If you need to upgrade, you do it but never speculate. In a high market, you sell high and you immediately buy high and its a zero sum game. No risk involved. You do not delay the purchase, just in case it goes higher.

If its investment such as shares and investment properties, then you speculate. You have the luxury of setting aside some capital with the view of buying low and selling high. Thats common sense and that called risk appetite. You don't need to even attend school for that.

Some people tend to speculate with their matrimonial home. I cited the case of the chap who read the 2005 report and has yet to buy a home and now can never buy a home the location that he wants.

You need to be honest here. Don't take selective items and rum amok with it. If you need clarification, just ask. Happy to help.

I hate to bring negative response to your assumption. You quoted Originally Posted by scroobal View Post
Its only an idiot that sells high and hoping to buy low delays pruchases and rents. That is in the realm of speculating, something you do not do for a family home.

I happened to know this IDIOT in Mel.. bought a condo in 2004 for SGD450k sold in 2007 for SGD1.1mil.. stayed in rental hse for 2yrs and recently bought a hse Jan/Mar 2009 for AUD 900k in cash !Within a short period from 2004 to 2009/2010.. I presume his profit is no less than 800k! mind you it is juz single hse investment alone. This idiot happens to stay near me and he did it for the family !! If "idiots" like him and me did the same.. this makes the writer a fool ?

You have your perspectives.. in particular in housing and real estate.. it does not mean we have to take your comment blindly. Still arguing hses on main road ? hehe.

Btw I am a proud diploma & "O" level holders.. My inferior overseas degree is no match for the local NUS and NTU..

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do not think you can give advice on property.. (Hence no point asking you) unless you include the disclaimer clause. For a person to give the advice.. he must have adequate data or proven success in every acquisition.. sadly ya not.

I am proving to you there are ppl speculating in properties ~ using their primary hse ! and they are living well.. they do sell high.. rent.. and buy low.. for my frz's capital gain plus savings, cpf, super, other assets, he can retire easily at 40.

Yes, I need help ! I need labourer and I pay $150/day.. Nahh.. i dont think you can help at all.. wahahaha..

Its probably that you do not understand. You tend to pick things out of context without reading the whole. You did that with selling food but ignored laywers and accountants. Thats applying selective reasoning which does not make sense.

I will explain in simple terms. When its a residential home, you never ever speculate. If you need to upgrade, you do it but never speculate. In a high market, you sell high and you immediately buy high and its a zero sum game. No risk involved. You do not delay the purchase, just in case it goes higher.

If its investment such as shares and investment properties, then you speculate. You have the luxury of setting aside some capital with the view of buying low and selling high. Thats common sense and that called risk appetite. You don't need to even attend school for that.

Some people tend to speculate with their matrimonial home. I cited the case of the chap who read the 2005 report and has yet to buy a home and now can never buy a home the location that he wants.

You need to be honest here. Don't take selective items and rum amok with it. If you need clarification, just ask. Happy to help.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suspect that you are speed reading, thats why you can't seem to follow the line of reasoning. Try again to be fair to people that are posting.

By the way, I just got a PM from a guy who claims to have met you and says that you are a bit of a talkative chap but not sure how to get things done. He told that you got a novated Camry Altise from your company, you claimed to have 2 chicken rice stalls etc. Is it true? Interesting.

I do not think you can give advice on property.. (Hence no point asking you) unless you include the disclaimer clause. For a person to give the advice.. he must have adequate data or proven success in every acquisition.. sadly ya not.
I am proving to you there are ppl speculating in properties.. and they are living well.. they do sell high.. rent.. and buy low.. for my frz's capital gain plus savings, cpf, super, other assets, he can retire easily at 40.

Yes, I need help ! I need labourer and I pay $150/day.. Nahh.. i dont think you can help at all.. wahahaha..

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I think its more that your line of reasoning is from the perspective of executive management while axe's is "lobang" based, much like many home-grown businesses in SG.

But thanks to both of you for sharing.

I suspect that you are speed reading, thats why you can't seem to follow the line of reasoning. Try again to be fair to people that are posting.

By the way, I just got a PM from a guy who claims to have met you and says that you are a bit of a talkative chap but not sure how to get things done. He told that you got a novated Camry Altise from your company, you claimed to have 2 chicken rice stalls etc. Is it true? Interesting.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anytime bro.

I think its more that your line of reasoning is from the perspective of executive management while axe's is "lobang" based, much like many home-grown businesses in SG.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Haha.. Novated lease is provided by my previous company.. you probably dunno how the non-profit organisation works ? I quit the company after 1 yr.. and do not I have to be bonded by 4yrs as claimed by you. (or whichever the novated lease works ?) .

I have also got a PM from a frz.. he claimed he knows you.. he said ya highly secretive (changed few nicks and relocated few places) yet like to penetrate into someone family's life ? :eek: He said you've over capitalised your investment.. Putting a security guard in your property ? & govt housing is coming near you ? is it true ? Interesting.. You got some strangers to approached me for help without obtaining my permission..

You what know your problem is ? U like others to adhere to you.. this include reasoning/chatting with the trolls.. speaking strictly under the headings.. Under the current conditions, everyone can speak freely and they can sidetrack a little if they like .. :smile:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro.. I'm "O" only.. not a local grad :smile: Btw my wifey is local grad.. highly educated !!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please don't thrash this thread. Welcome your own approach / views on starting a business in OZ. But try not to wrongly misinterpet other people's contributions. Happy to clarify.

Its important that varied views are sought.

Haha.. Novated lease is provided by my previous company.. you probably dunno how the non-profit organisation works ? I quit the company after 1 yr.. and do not I have to be bonded by 4yrs as claimed by you. (or whichever the novated lease works ?) .

I have also got a PM from a frz.. he claimed he knows you.. he said ya highly secretive (changed few nicks and relocated few places) yet like to penetrate into someone family's life ? :eek: He said you've over capitalised your investment.. Putting a security guard in your property ? & govt housing is coming near you ? is it true ? Interesting.. You got some strangers to approached me for help without obtaining my permission..

You what know your problem is ? U like others to adhere to you.. this include reasoning/chatting with the trolls.. speaking strictly under the headings.. Under the current conditions, everyone can speak freely and they can sidetrack a little if they like .. :smile:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Curious about the nature of hair styling business in Perth and your comments about it being low income. Could you throw more light on this?

One thing I found out. Don't be a hairdresser in Australia, esp Perth.

1. The Greek/Italians have control over this business. Starting in (catholic) school days, the Greek/Italian women are more interested in beauty/hair/clothes/guys than in math/science/history.

2. Their annual income is quite low, due to the nature of the hair business. How many of them can charge big bucks? Sometimes, no appointment needed.

3. Usually, the builder or businessman husbands/fathers need to help to keep these business afloat. (Have a nagging wife at home is overwhelming.)

Anyone disagree?

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
some ideas that i have;
- migration agency.
- tution agency.
- property agency.
- internet business. e.g. SEO, affliated reselling program etc..

i'm particularly keen to start my oracle and linux training courses independently.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
My accounting only 'O', you think Temasek will lend?

They will only lend to Wall St banks, highly helicopted type (no offense to the MBAs, Phds around - I am not referring to you :biggrin:)

I think all we need is marketing.

golden%20arowana.jpg

hey hey hey. so u are an arowana fan. i have kept 2 arowanas back in sg. RTG and red. fantastic aquarium fish!

i wrote to the environment agency of australia to ask if i can import these arowanas. all i get was a big NO-NO. :(

since we have land here, can we keep aripaimas? :smile: