• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

TIN Pei Ling - I want a voice for the Gen Y so they can play playstation

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
so that my Gen Y can continue to play playstation and PSP.... hehehehe

She wants to be voice for youth
I'm young, but energy, desire to learn are assets: Tin Pei Ling
By Cai Haoxiang
ST_IMAGES_P1BLURBS29-D8.jpg

MS TIN Pei Ling's path to politics began in a Ghim Moh coffee shop owned by her father, where she helped serve tea and coffee as a junior college student.

She soon began accompanying her Chinese-educated father, who is also a grassroots leader, on market visits and to community events.

'He had problems communicating in English, so I became the impromptu translator or interpreter,' she said.

Late one night, when she was an undergraduate at the National University of Singapore, Ms Tin dropped by the coffee shop and came across a group of Ulu Pandan grassroots volunteers. They were having supper after their weekly Meet-the-People sessions. The group included the then MP, Dr Vivian Balakrishnan.

'My father introduced me to the volunteers, and to Dr Vivian. They said, why don't you join us at the Meet-the-People sessions?

'It sounded interesting. I thought I would give it a shot. I've been at those sessions since then.'

After seven years of volunteering, Ms Tin, at the age of 27, yesterday became the youngest woman candidate to be unveiled by the People's Action Party in recent history, and the youngest candidate since former PAP MP Ng Kah Ting was fielded in 1963 at the age of 23.

The business consultant with Ernst & Young Advisory was among three candidates introduced by the ruling party yesterday.

At the press conference, Ms Tin took questions about her youth and relative inexperience in her stride.

'I am definitely young and I think there would be some room for me to grow and build experience. But although I'm young, I have the energy, the youthfulness, the attitude, the willingness to learn and serve residents,' she said.

Ms Tin hopes to be the voice of youth for the PAP that voters of her generation can identify with.

'I believe that a conducive environment for youth to focus on excelling and achieving their dreams and aspirations is important. I also think that youth actually have a strong desire to want to do good for the community and for Singapore, and I think we should help them do so,' she said.

Noting that she came from a 'more fortunate' background than many others, Ms Tin said she wants to create more opportunities to help less privileged children.

She cited one area where help could be offered: In homes where parents are out of the house struggling to make ends meet, young children often do not have people to take them to preschool.

Ms Tin also rebutted a suggestion that she got into politics through the back door because her husband Ng How Yue, 40, is Principal Private Secretary to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

She said she has an 'independent mind' and that her desire to serve springs from her family, especially her father, way before she met her husband in 2006.

[email protected]

Ms Tin, the youngest woman candidate unveiled by the PAP in recent years, stated that she wants to have children in the near future.

Here, she talks about her future and whether her family life would affect her work as an MP.

How would wanting children impact your work as an MP?

I do intend to have children in the near future, but before that I'd like to work the ground, build a good foundation with residents wherever I serve. If I'm put in a GRC, there will be a team to support me and... across Singapore the grassroots movements are very strong.

These are some of the fallbacks I can rely on should I get pregnant and have to go on maternity leave. I'm not too worried if I've done the right things and built a strong foundation. Given my personality, even if I'm on maternity leave, I can still keep an eye on what's happening and work from home.

What are your ambitions and where do you see yourself in 10 years?

I hope that by then I'll have a few children in a close-knit family. Career-wise, I hope to continue on my professional path, be successful, hopefully to take on a role in management. In terms of the party, I hope to be able to contribute actively in whatever capacity I can.