• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Time For LTA to Protect CardBoards Collectors Aunties And Uncles

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
if u were those cardboard traders, would u pay them more? :wink:

Bro , the Govt has a Job here .

Name and published the List of "middle men " and Traders

who Exploited all these elderly uncles and aunties.

Govt dept should publish on a weekly basis or even daily listing

current used Cardboard Prices , Used Newspapers Prices etc ... to Protect

con traders and middle man who exploit these auntie and uncles with unrealisted prices.

These Traders are worst than Sin Lim Cheaters !

"One of them, Madam Tong Chuan, 80, said in Malay: "My heart was shattered when I was told 'your friend is dead' by a resident.

She was a strong woman who insisted on working."

Mr Soon, who is jobless, said his mother started collecting cardboard as a way to "kill time".

He said: "My mother earned less than $10 a day. I told her to stop doing this, but she wanted to kill time and make some extra pocket money."

Madam Tong said she had also tried to discourage Madam Zheng from working too hard.

"Why work for a few dollars?" she said. "It's not worth it. Yet, there are at least 10 elderly women in this estate who choose to make a living this way."

To Madam Tan Siew Lian, 73, it is still a way to earn some money.

At about 11am yesterday, she was seen pushing a trolley filled with cardboard and a bag of empty cans across the road near where

Madam Zheng's body lay under a blue tent.

She said: "She was very protective of her cardboard and would scold you if you go near it.

"The most an elderly person can make doing this is about $12 a day. It's back-breaking work and my shoulders are always aching."

The Marsiling Lane area has many shops and across it is an industrial estate.

Residents said some of these places are happy to hand over their discarded cardboard to the "cardboard aunties".

The Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) said yesterday that needy families and individuals who need financial and social help

may approach the nearest MSF social service office.

Or they can call the 24-hour ComCare Call hotline at 1800-222-000 for assistance. "

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
IT'S A HARD LIFE

I found out the hard way in February when I took part in a social experiment to get a taste of their way of life.

The 20kg of cardboard I collected came with a price - much sweat, very nearly tears and the awful realisation that I was lousy at doing this after four hours hunting for cardboard in Little India.

At 10 cents per kg, I made a grand $2 for my pains. I still keep that $2 note as a reminder of the hardship faced by elderly cardboard collectors.

Yesterday, when some of them told me they make about $10 a day, I figured out that to earn that kind of money, they would have to collect 100kg of cardboard.

From the time I spent with them, I learned that poverty and boredom are usually prerequisites for the job.

Some can be stubbornly independent, even to the extent of hiding what they do from their families out of pride or fear of getting scolded.

There are no benefits, no unions, no respite. If you are slow or fall sick, someone else will grab the cardboard, as I discovered.
Yet, some aunties more than twice my age put me to shame with their collections.

Few care or notice as these nameless aunties and uncles tread on the fringes of society, pushing carts with wheels that are often broken.
But yesterday, somebody did care.

After Madam Zheng's tragic death, a resident's committee member worked behind the scenes interviewing people for morsels of

information. He told me that he wanted to make it safer for seniors regardless of whether they choose to collect cardboard as a pastime or for profit.

This gesture brings hope that something will be done to help these senior citizens.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Madam.... your breasts are saggy so remember to use wonder bra.

gong_li_31161.jpg

just did a quick check . no worries :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Chinese treat each other with contempt.

cardboard collection business in chinatown

1. Chinatown elderly 70 yr old anuty in chinatown kana bully by FT from China.

2. Bullied by CChinese FTs who enchroached on elder sgp aunty area in Chinatown.

3. a elder tg pagar elder anutie rush to "chopp" and fell down and broke arm.

4. male video producers mocking and laughing at old Aunty plight.

5. 1 kg S$0.10 cents

6. FT china controlling chinatown in sgp.

7. male voice making whole episode a Joke !!!

8. Sgp are finished . no more face !!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
cardboard collection business in chinatown

1. Chinatown elderly 70 yr old anuty in chinatown kana bully by FT from China.

2. Bullied by CChinese FTs who enchroached on elder sgp aunty area in Chinatown.

3. a elder tg pagar elder anutie rush to "chopp" and fell down and broke arm.

4. male video producers mocking and laughing at old Aunty plight.

5. 1 kg S$0.10 cents

6. FT china controlling chinatown in sgp.

7. male voice making whole episode a Joke !!!

8. Sgp are finished . no more face !!

That's because 60% of Sinkies have no self-respect, they keep voting in the PAP which not only allows, but encourages such things to happen.

It could be due to the brainwashing received since childhood, or it could be a psychological disorder. :rolleyes:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Blame it on the useless sons, mother struggled so hard they didn't get a good education and break out of poverty, instead choose easy job as security guard that pays so little, really useless.

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Blame it on the useless sons, mother struggled so hard they didn't get a good education and break out of poverty, instead choose easy job as security guard that pays so little, really useless.

You are right, the sons should have followed your path to be housing agent, when no business drive a taxi and warrior to jb to top up petrol.

uglyloser

Alfrescian
Loyal

A person's academic attainment is closely linked to his parents' socioeconomic status. So I think the old granny is responsible for their bleak situation as well.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
A person's academic attainment is closely linked to his parents' socioeconomic status. So I think the old granny is responsible for their bleak situation as well.

Academic attainment has nothing to do with one's financial sucess in life, many washer women's children became doctors, and my subcontractor who was disposing my waste silica sand in the 90s with one truck which he drove himself, today owns a large fleet of trucks and running a full fledged waste disposal and he is even more successful than me now. So work hard when young and learn a skill and one will be sucessful with or without education. Please lah no excuses the sons should have easily helped the mum and picked cardboard boxes when young, today they can easily start a waste disposal, recycling business collecting metal scraps and exporting overseas, useless bastardy preferred to take the easy way out and be security guards.

Myself although reasonably educated preferred to go into property investment and also made a couple of millions over the years.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pls don't post pics of these cardboard collectors.
As Chinese we care a lot about face.
I seriously don't think our lau langs want to do hard job till so old if money is not an issue.

In aust, lau langs on pension enjoy life and join clubs if bored rather than go pick cardboards.

TNP lagi better posted 16 pics and more ...

Family of elderly woman killed in bus accident: "She couldn't stand boredom"

Elizabeth LawThe New PaperSunday, Nov 16, 2014

- See more at: http://news.asiaone.com/news/singap...he-couldnt-stand-boredom#sthash.o0fJfTEb.dpuf

20141114_marsilingaunty_TNP.jpg

Mr Toon Mee Kai (left) and Mr Toon Ngee Suan (right) at the wake of their mother, Madam Ching Guan Eng, cardboard collector auntie who was killed after being knocked down by a private bus at Marsiling Lane in Woodlands on 12 November 2014.

She toiled her entire life. In her twilight years, when she could finally relax, she did not quite know how to.

In the beginning, it was to bring up her two young sons after her husband died. And as the widow got on with age, she continued to work just to keep busy.

When Madam Ching Guan Eng, 86, was run over by a bus and killed at Marsiling Lane on Wednesday, she was collecting cardboard, something she did to pass the time.

Speaking to The New Paper yesterday at Madam Ching's wake in Marsiling, her sons and relatives painted a picture of a sprightly woman with a kind heart.

The oldest of eight children, Madam Ching came to Singapore from Kota Tinggi in Johor, Malaysia, nearly seven decades ago.
Her younger son, Mr Toon Mee Kai, a 61-year-old security guard, said she single-handedly raised him and his brother after their father died.

The family moved from kampung to kampung before settling in a three-room flat in Marsiling Drive in the late 1970s.

To put food on the table, Madam Ching worked a series of odd jobs including jobs in a clothing factory and a factory making kueh.
In the late 1960s, she was an amah (housemaid) for a family living in the Marsiling area.

This employer encouraged her to buy an HDB flat, said Madam Wang Kiaw Haw, 59, who is married to Mr Toon.

The couple, who have no children, share the flat with Madam Ching and her elder son, Mr Toon Ngee Suan, 64, who never married.

"At night, she would sit in the void deck talking to the neighbours until nearly 11pm. Everyone was her friend," Madam Wang, a sales assistant, told TNP in Mandarin.

Over the years, Madam Ching, a Hainanese, picked up a variety of dialects and could even speak a smattering of English and Malay. The octogenarian was very active.

"She could still stand very straight and walked very fast. Sometimes, we even had problems catching up with her," Madam Wang said. Her mother-in-law cooked dinner for the family and did the laundry.

HOSPITALISED

The only time Madam Ching slowed down was in 2012, when she was hospitalised for about two weeks after a viral infection.
"At that time, she told me she didn't want to pick cardboard any more. She was going to stay home and rest. Six months later, she couldn't stand the boredom and was out again," Madam Wang said.

Then there were the animals. Various shopkeepers in the area spoke of "Auntie's cat", a white and brown moggie that she fed daily.
"Once, she came home with a baby mynah. She fed it, talked to it and raised it like a pet. When it grew big, she opened the cage but it didn't want to leave," said Madam Wang, adding that the bird acted like an alarm clock, waking Madam Ching from her afternoon naps.

Her days began at about 7am, when she would have a light breakfast before going out with her trolley to the neighbourhood centre about 1km away to look for cardboard.

She then took the cardboard to the nearby industrial estate and sold it for "$3 or $4", the elder Mr Toon, a retired deliveryman, said.
If it was still early, she sometimes went on another round of the neighbourhood for more cardboard.

It was not that she needed the money - her second son and daughter-in-law gave her $400 a month and paid for the household expenses.

She might take a break in between for a kopi-o. But the frugal widow always tried to save where she could, her children said.
On Wednesday, it was during her second round of daily collection when tragedy struck.

Her elder son had accompanied her earlier. After they sold the cardboard to a rag-and-bone man, he decided to stop for a cup of coffee at the hawker centre while his mother continued on her round.

He was shocked to later find out that the "cardboard auntie" killed in an accident was his mother.

Looking down, he said: "My mother just had her passport renewed a few months ago. It's still empty. She didn't even have a chance to visit her relatives in Malaysia."

Despite her advanced age, she visited her relatives in Kota Tinggi every year until her passport expired a few years ago. These were her only holidays, her elder son said.

Madam Ching's niece, Madam Yasmine Chang, 43, who lives in Malaysia, last saw her here in January last year.

She said: "My fondest memory of my aunt was during Chinese New Year. She would always bring cakes from Singapore when she visited us.

"It was the traditional type with decorative cream, and she carried it in a box all the way to Kota Tinggi. When it arrived, the cake would still look perfect."

Welling up, Madam Chang said: "My aunt was very thrifty. So even though an entire cake might not seem like much, it meant a lot to us."

[email protected]

- See more at: http://news.asiaone.com/news/singap...he-couldnt-stand-boredom#sthash.o0fJfTEb.dpuf

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah, start by banning all motor vehicles and allowing only bicycles.

Like that also worst too drastic action . NEA and LTA just need to Ban all these unlicensed Exploitors Collector

Middle man and less problems . Make Collectors and Traders to do the Collections Themselves and pay for

staffs salarris and CPF and Benefits other wise NEA just go and revoke their licensed . simple or Not ?

sgcardboardcollectors15_0.jpg

sgcardboardcollectors14.jpg

sgcardboardcollectors13.jpg

NEA and LTA what do you think ???

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since Sgp always like to collect levies and fines.

NEA and LTA should impose a levy of S$10/- per kilograms that these inlicesened Collectors

makan / collect s from these Aunties and Uncles . :confused::confused::confused: