• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

things you miss from the past?

Rushwind

Alfrescian
Loyal
Remembered aLmost aLL the TV adverts then comes with a catchy jingLe catering to different diaLect groups..

Ah yes... I remembered this Maggi TV advertisement where the young boy said to his grandmother "ah mah, ni zhin gawk!" .... Something like that.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Remembered aLmost aLL the TV adverts then comes with a catchy jingLe catering to different diaLect groups..

"cheng san piew, yum lei jong, yum lei jump"...Citizen Watch, "you can knock & soak in water" ( rough translation)!! Oh yes! from Channel 8, the Tamil Jingle advertising for "Tonic Cap Gajah"!!

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pocket money is limited, stealing is prohibited & unethical, I earn that money from trimming the hedges, mowing the lawns, doing some handy work etc and selling of empty bottles I collect around the house & the neighbours, including the tin cans.

(1) Plain bottles, and sauce bottles I get 5cts each
(2) F& N Syrup bottle the dimples ones, return value of 30cts each
(3) Other bottles that have return value and my prize collection if obtain:

(4) Milk Bottles at $1 each.
(5) Horlicks
(6) Sanatogen

Tins I forgot, how much I get for them, any shape & sizes, the bigger the better:
(1) Milk cans ( F&N, Dutch Baby..etc)
(2) Milo & Ovaltine
(3)Thye Hong Biscuit tins
(4) Kerosene tins
etc

It was fun & at least I learn what it was like to work honestly for money to buy the things that I want & treasure those things that I had bought.

u didnt collect beer bottles? at least 10cents each and they are easy to find. i get more $$ from beer bottles than 50cents allowance i got from my parents during primary school. i think u at least one zodiac cycle older than me. soft drink bottles also can but they 5cents only. by late 80s, soft drink companies were switching from glass bottle to tin can.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
We used go around the entire neighbourhood coLLecting and stripping copper wires, if the wires are too thick to be stripped, we wouLd usuaLLy burn them 1st; prior seLLing karanguni shops.One pound was worth about $1.60 then..

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
u didnt collect beer bottles? at least 10cents each and they are easy to find. i get more $$ from beer bottles than 50cents allowance i got from my parents during primary school. i think u at least one zodiac cycle older than me. soft drink bottles also can but they 5cents only. by late 80s, soft drink companies were switching from glass bottle to tin can.

My neighbours all "goody two shoes", no beer bottles, heavens forbid! some of them write the law of the land, educate the young of the day & even build our bridges & buildings & roads etc.. they hide their Henessey bottles, Johnny Walker...etc like the banks put their cash , in a safe, hidden place. Where could I get beer bottles? and those liquor one.. especially the Henessay ones , could have made me a 'fortune' when I was at that age!!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We used go around the entire neighbourhood coLLecting and stripping copper wires, if the wires are too thick to be stripped, we wouLd usuaLLy burn them 1st; prior seLLing karanguni shops.One pound was worth about $1.60 then..

No wonder back then, when one make to make an emergency call to home, and find that the STB phone booth wires were stripped & cut..so it was you! (:-

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My neighbours all "goody two shoes", no beer bottles, heavens forbid! some of them write the law of the land, educate the young of the day & even build our bridges & buildings & roads etc.. they hide their Henessey bottles, Johnny Walker...etc like the banks put their cash , in a safe, hidden place. Where could I get beer bottles? and those liquor one.. especially the Henessay ones , could have made me a 'fortune' when I was at that age!!

so u from atas neighbourhood one lah. i "bitter life", born in kampong. :o

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cannot understand the milk powders today at $78 a tin for that size. with whatever minerals they are touting that will make the child intelligent!!.
Yet, we have intelligent people, healthy...a generation had grown up doing that!!

current high price start ard mid 2000s. when my son born, it $28 a tin then milk companies started claiming had this and that in their milk formula and raise to $42 a tin overnight. really KNN, so had either buy from JB or downgrade the brand.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
current high price start ard mid 2000s. when my son born, it $28 a tin then milk companies started claiming had this and that in their milk formula and raise to $42 a tin overnight. really KNN, so had either buy from JB or downgrade the brand.

Have you considered the real thing from the real teats!! or you have been drinking from that?? (:- I saw the papers advertisement, forgot the brand $78 for a powder milk, claiming to be full of this & that & will make your child this & that. Don't think the biggest tin of Lactogen, Klim or even "S" ( later S26) cost $78 back then. For $78 back then, you can buy three cartons of six in one carton or maybe more...

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
assume you must be living in a rural area of the Beautiful Nation of Smiles (Kingdom of Siam).
Far from it, he's squandering his youth in SIN City (Pattaya):p He says it's almost surreal ..pinching himself every morning for reality check. :p

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Brother [scroobal],
Thank you for your compliment.

Bro, seriously you should also consider writing your own journey thru life. You have shared on a number of occasions snippets of army, univesity, work, family etc. i found them all to be inspirational.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sad to say this is a man-made phenomena.
Yet no one agrees.
The skies flooded with planes and its emissions,
The ground with cars and other fuel-thirsty machines.
The increase in polulation and with it the increase in human waste.
Forest burning.
Man will only learn and appreciate when disaster strike and that too for a short while.
Canada still is a lovely and natural place compared to the massive rape of Singapore

I agree with you.
The cheap airfare resulted in packed passenger jets.
Even Canada is not immune.
Lots of farmland in the suburbs outside of Toronto (area code 905 - Greater Toronto) has been developed into residential properties and condos, thus stripping much of the tranqulity and green spaces which provided local food.
Small cottages have been bought by those with apparent money and rebuilt into mega cottages.
The global warming and abundance of tourists have caused a significant retreat of the ice in the Canadian Rockies.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kodak advert with Paul Anka's "Time of Your Life".

[video=youtube;_QCBeZi0bRI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QCBeZi0bRI[/video]

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Has anybody mentioned:

1. Ladyhill hotel in Orange grove rd.
2. Troika
3. Ming Court hotel now Orchard Parade.
4. TTC (Teachers' Training college) on Paterson rd.
5. the first 17th storey HDB block at Strathmore Avenue.
6. The single storey SIT flats on Dawson Rd.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
RC Cola, & those without brand from that bottling factory at Gelylang Rd , was it National ? or Eastern?, they have ice cream soda, "ang moh lew lian" ( ha ha) aka Soursop and that root beer, what's that brand from the same people who bottled RC Cola? which I loved, before A&W. Not to forget, GREEN SPOT, the drinks for funeral wakes 7 wedding dinner. F&N Ice cream soda, Orange Squash! F&N Orange syrup & Rose Syrup with the dimples bottle.

Don't forget Sinalco, Kickapoo (Joy Juice), later Fanta...Fanta grapes & Orange, and you mentioned Framroz gone long time ago... there was one more just slip my mind...

We rarely dring Pepsi or Coca Cola....the soft drinks from that bottling company at Geylang Road was the cheapest, you can afford F&N, Fanta, one is quite well off. & if you drink Pepsi or Coca Cola....you are somewhere "up there".

The bottling company, Eastern is still in Geylang, though the production line at the back is now high-rise apartments always filled with PRC and other damsels that over the years overwhelmed Singaporeans.
Only the facade of the old building remain at the front complete with the inscription, EASTERN and the steamer making way in the ocean.
National Aerated Water Co. building is still occupying prime land next to the Kallang River along Serangoon Road.

The root beer you are refering to may be DADs Root Beer or SCHWEPPES.

You may be refering also to Yeo Hiap Seng Soya bean drink or Tow Nee Chwee, Magnolia milk, chocolate and strawberry that came in glass bottles with push-through aluminium foil covers.

Hope it helped you. If only there were pics of all these drinks.