• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

things you miss from the past?

kongkek

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Watched Foodage Just now

here lor

images
looks good man abang

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With all the recent BE buzz (fatigue?), recall old Ponggol seafood makan oblivious to buses spilling exhausts and u-turns next to seating

100-things-in-80s-part-2-ponggol-choon-seng-seafood-restaurant.jpg

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With all the recent BE buzz (fatigue?), recall old Ponggol seafood makan oblivious to buses spilling exhausts and u-turns next to seating

View attachment 9056
I can't remember the bus number exactly...think it was bus 82.
Along the way many fish farms....the longkangs outside teeming with fishes....runoff from the farms.
3 seafood restaurants.....everyone had their favourite one....2 of the brand names still surviving till today....hock kee and choon seng.
Remembered a mini petrol station cum bar for vessels there....always many angmos and chiobus.
The place now punggol marina?

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
SBC Dramas = History Record Of 80s, 90s, Y2K

i am a ang mo kio kid. i can still remember the old bus terminal (now occupied by amk hub). yes, the bus terminal was old, but yet, i wish to go back thru time and visit it again.

SBC, TCS and Mediacorp dramas have their use - recording of history in Singapore. The buses, taxis, cars, traffic lights, playgrounds, hairdos, dresses, jeans, shoes, slippers, books, cups, posters, pictures of idols back then, telephone booths, pagers, mobile phones, etc.

It's a must to protect all these media.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Things Have Changed

USSFamilyShot_big.jpg

Singapore have changed a lot. But, was it for the better ?

Does anyone like the expensive Universal Studio Singapore ? I think only the kids like it.

Universal-Studios-Singapore-420x0.jpg

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Things Have Changed

I kind of miss the pre-RWS, pre-Universal Studios Sentosa, back when the monorail and ferry terminal are still in operation:

1) After the mid-late 1990s, with all those lame attractions e.g. Fantasy Island, Volcanoland.

2) Before the mid-late 1990s, without the golf courses, island entrance fees and that big merlion statue.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I kind of miss the pre-RWS, pre-Universal Studios Sentosa, back when the monorail and ferry terminal are still in operation:

1) After the mid-late 1990s, with all those lame attractions e.g. Fantasy Island, Volcanoland.

2) Before the mid-late 1990s, without the golf courses, island entrance fees and that big merlion statue.

Think golf course was there long time ago.
You got corporate and NTUC chalets then and only one hotel.
Hawker center, roller skating rink, lagoon and musical fountain.
Only cable car and ferry access then.

jw5

Loyal

Don't remember a Fantasy Island in SG.
The only Fantasy Island I know is a short guy shouting "The Plane! The Plane!"

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Don't remember a Fantasy Island in SG.
The only Fantasy Island I know is a short guy shouting "The Plane! The Plane!"

Fantasy island was the water theme park built by OBS then....part of the first round of sentosa revamp then together with Asian village etc.

jw5

Loyal

Fantasy island was the water theme park built by OBS then....part of the first round of sentosa revamp then together with Asian village etc.

Character name of that midget....Tattoo

thanks for the info, still can't remember the water theme park, maybe it's because OBS built it...................

The name of the tall guy was the late Ricardo Montalban, he was a debonair actor in his heydey.

hokkien

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

lianbeng missed lim kopi in guni-kong (milk tin) days! :biggrin: occasionally still doing it lah!

The kopi taste better right?,I miss the old tic kum where one can win small little prizze from the market stalls:biggrin:

Last edited:

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

The kopi taste better right?,I miss the old tic kum where one can win small little prizze from the market stalls:biggrin:

[video=youtube;C2IFa5fqLqo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2IFa5fqLqo&feature=share&list=PLEF0C03E544562464[/video]

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

ferry terminal, man, those were the days. stepped on the wrong ferry you end up in Batam
Was nearly caught out once, to catch last ferry back to mainland in evening. Now, you have the causeway and walkway.

lianbeng said:
missed lim kopi in guni-kong (milk tin) days!
And old guys poured kopi onto saucers to cool it down before lapping it up.

Last edited:

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Those boys in the video at the starting point were playing a game of "ang-kong-chua", which comes with colour pics of Superman, Tarzan, etc.. There was a number at the base. These number was the wager in the game of chance.

These was introduced along the same time with "Kuti-kuti" or "Goondu", which comprised of colourful tiny plastic toys in many forms. The name of the carrom player rounded plastic came from that old word for it was tough. In kuti-kuti, the players will try to mount the one moved forward by the opponent. If you mount that item, you "makan" it. The worst was the pig for it was round and difficult to "mount" (no abuse intended).

Most importantly I missed the Australian Fun fair, Thai Thean Kew Circus, the Royal India Circus (at the empty land on which stands the current Windsor Hotel, Macpherson Road) and the Wally Byam Caraven (stationed in the 60's at the grounds of the former Shell Sports Club next to Pelton Canal off Paya Lebar Road and Jalan Paya. These were caravans from Australia on a one and only stop-over in Singapore.

Those days the schools used to bring us to such places as "Excursion tours". Best of all it was Free of Charge.

Today's, Universal Studios far too expensive for locals lah........ If my grand-son asked me to bring him there, I will pretend NOT to HEAR.

Bo pian liow. Seebay Kohliantye.............