• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The secrets to retiring happily

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many retirees grieve the loss of their career, feel stressed about how to fill the 8-9 hours daily that work used to occupy, experience boredom, anxiety about their loss of income, depression, loss of purpose, fear of mental decline etc. Can retirees on this forum please share your secrets about how you spend your days productively without having to work?

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
"spend your days productively(?) without having to work?" Oxymoron? Imho, when one has truly retired, he/she doesn't have to keep track of "productivity". Simply doing nothing, lazing around (not productive?, loss of purpose?), much like what 1 does taking leave when working, that's good life if it makes one happy. All these are predicated on "true retirement" with sufficient savings (NO anxiety over their loss of income) to live out the remaining years in a lifestyle you are CONTENTED with.

After saving for many years working in Sg, I chose to retire in JB where I can have more space, move around in less crowded spaces and drive and change cars I like. Had I chosen to remain living in Sg, without active income from work, these will be out of reach. When I feel like it, I cross the border to meet up with friends in Sg, usually over makan. I also drive up north meeting up with old school friends reminiscing over happy old times, over makan and partake in other activities also. :smile: There is also enough infotainment, news & current affairs in the Internet to keep one occupied for hours and hours.

To sum it up: For me, if one has to WORRY (over money, productivity, how to keep busy, etc... etc), I would question if the he/she has TRULY retired.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Retiring "productively" is to be able to spend your free time in useful pursuits such as sharing meals with your friends, volunteering with charities/religious organisations, on your hobbies, giving tuition (paid or unpaid), online investing, visiting aged parents etc. Are your activities enough to fill the hours that have become a void on weekdays without having to go to work?

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
Going by your definition of "productivity", I would generalise by simply grouping anything/activities one enjoys doing or not doing anything as being productive. If volunteering, giving tuition without payment consideration, visiting aged parents/relatives in addition to gathering with friends.... etc... etc. makes you happy, it's productive, so be it.

For not working retirees, there's no weekdays or weekends. There's no "weekday voids" as such. I do however, schedule certain activities outside of holidays or weekends to avoid competing with the working crowds whose timetables may not be as flexible. E.g., my gathering with friends are usually scheduled on non-holidays.

Imho, at the end of the day, to each his/her own. If one worries about how to spend time "productively" or "meaningfully", which may be main stream ideas that are often preached and exemplified by "role models", that's not my retirement. Retirement to me is simply choosing what I like to do which pleases me, not others. Visiting aged parents makes me happy, therefore I do it, not because it will win praise from others that I'm filial or avoid being criticised as unfilial.

Quite philosophical huh. But that's the selfish me who have endured a working life to achieve a deserving retirement:smile:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Visiting aged parents makes me happy, therefore I do it, not because it will win praise from others that I'm filial or avoid being criticised as unfilial.
Who are you insinuating? Please take note the difference between YOU Malaysians and other lowlife bullies made false accusations of ME slut or unfilial or whatever and I tell you I am virgin impossible to be slut and I visit my mother from jb to spore frequently and I saying all these without any false accusations from you. Pui!

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Going by your definition of "productivity", I would generalise by simply grouping anything/activities one enjoys doing or not doing anything as being productive. If volunteering, giving tuition without payment consideration, visiting aged parents/relatives in addition to gathering with friends.... etc... etc. makes you happy, it's productive, so be it.
In the first place if volunteering and visiting aged parents are only something to be done during retirement, it shows your character is nothing desirable.

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
1697538182751.png

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many retirees grieve the loss of their career, feel stressed about how to fill the 8-9 hours daily that work used to occupy, experience boredom, anxiety about their loss of income, depression, loss of purpose, fear of mental decline etc. Can retirees on this forum please share your secrets about how you spend your days productively without having to work?
I am so glad to be retiring in Singapore. No other reasons except one: I am a citizen and no evil ungrateful shameless barbaric Malaysians in JB can benefit big big from Singaporeans - both directly and indirectly - and keep four or five barking dogs at home ETC to invade your peace can open their ccb bully mouth ask you to 滚回你的HDB去.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am so glad to be retiring in Singapore. No other reasons except one: I am a citizen and no evil ungrateful shameless barbaric Malaysians in JB can benefit big big from Singaporeans - both directly and indirectly - and keep four or five barking dogs at home ETC to invade your peace can open their ccb bully mouth ask you to 滚回你的HDB去.
Btw I must specify I am retiring in Singapore CONDO hor. Again same logic, the reason why I spelled it out is MALAYSIAN bullies ASSUMED I am hdb while they how lian they landed. Pui!

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Btw I must specify I am retiring in Singapore CONDO hor. Again same logic, the reason why I spelled it out is MALAYSIAN bullies ASSUMED I am hdb while they how lian they landed. Pui!
People don’t want to spell out virgin, filial, condo etc cannot one leh because Malaysians do not just ASSUME all the time but viciously attacked you based on their ASSUMPTIONS.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I should qualify as most grateful citizen of Spore that gets nothing but so thankful to be able to retire in Spore indeed. And that’s an understatement, I don’t just get nothing with no hdb no nothing but I get lots of evil shit from the low grade foreigners brought into Spore and living in my condo harassing me non stop.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I should qualify as most grateful citizen of Spore that gets nothing but so thankful to be able to retire in Spore indeed. And that’s an understatement, I don’t just get nothing with no hdb no nothing but I get lots of evil shit from the low grade foreigners brought into Spore and living in my condo harassing me non stop.
Malaysians should be grateful to foreigners like me that bring benefits to them instead of evil shit but of course that’s not the case here.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
The secrets to retiring happily is have a good roof over your head with decent neighbors or strangers that don’t hate you and cause you distress with knocks and whistles and more.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hide in rat hole making knocks and more from 4 plus am to now targeting me at sleep is of course called low grade foreigners.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
The secrets to retiring happily is have a good roof over your head with decent neighbors or strangers that don’t hate you and cause you distress with knocks and whistles and more.
Unfortunately you can’t control low grade people’s hatred of you. And these bully dogs are all very proud to do lots of dirty trick.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
For not working retirees, there's no weekdays or weekends. There's no "weekday voids" as such. I do however, schedule certain activities outside of holidays or weekends to avoid competing with the working crowds whose timetables may not be as flexible. E.g., my gathering with friends are usually scheduled on non-holidays.
Imho, at the end of the day, to each his/her own. If one worries about how to spend time "productively" or "meaningfully", which may be main stream ideas that are often preached and exemplified by "role models", that's not my retirement. Retirement to me is simply choosing what I like to do which pleases me, not others. Visiting aged parents makes me happy, therefore I do it, not because it will win praise from others that I'm filial or avoid being criticised as unfilial.
Quite philosophical huh. But that's the selfish me who have endured a working life to achieve a deserving retirement:smile:
The activities that make me happy such as visiting my aged parents, volunteering with charities and meeting with retired friends are things that I am already doing outside of my office hours. After I stop working, I will have more time to do these meaningful activities without having to watch the clock.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unfortunately you can’t control low grade people’s hatred of you. And these bully dogs are all very proud to do lots of dirty trick.
I remember when I used to stay in a HDB flat, some people looked down on me. After I managed to shift out of the heartlands into a condo, these same "low grade" people started to envy and even hate me.