• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The reason why we are not one united people

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
When Singapore first became independent, the people were of a patchwork of different ethnicities, dialect groups and social classes (e.g. English-educated vs Chinese-educated). Policies were implemented with a heavy hand to ensure harmony at all costs.

By the 80s, I could distinctly feel a sense of pride in people identifying themselves as Singaporeans (not sure how the minorities feel as they may see things differently). However, there was no discernible shift in the focus of the policies and the way they were implemented. Now, there are many changes and rethinks but the fundamental way of implementation remains unchanged by and large. The emphasis is always on punishment rather than encouragement. Sounds like the parents of yore, doesn't it?

Why has the mentality of the ruling class in dealing with the populace remained essentially mired in time? Besides the fact that the ruling party has been in power all this time, I am convinced the main reason is the influence of LKY. He came to power during those tumultous days a few decades ago and that has coloured his thinking. His views on world affairs may have changed but not his perception of the people of Singapore. He certainly has no obligation to help others into power but he needs to ask himself if the people of Singapore are best served by his remaining in power (I am assuming that he really wanted the best outcome for Singapore). If his advice is so keenly sought, there is no need for him to remain in parliament as Senior Minister/Minister Mentor as people will still seek his advice regardless of his official post. If he is gracious and honourable, he would have fully stepped aside but he is most welcome to critique government policies as a private citizen. By holding on to power, I can only conclude that he still desires to control the decision-making process. Whether he sincerely believes he is working for the good of the nation, only he can answer that question.

Hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
When Singapore first became independent, the people were of a patchwork of different ethnicities, dialect groups and social classes (e.g. English-educated vs Chinese-educated). Policies were implemented with a heavy hand to ensure harmony at all costs.

By the 80s, I could distinctly feel a sense of pride in people identifying themselves as Singaporeans (not sure how the minorities feel as they may see things differently). However, there was no discernible shift in the focus of the policies and the way they were implemented. Now, there are many changes and rethinks but the fundamental way of implementation remains unchanged by and large. The emphasis is always on punishment rather than encouragement. Sounds like the parents of yore, doesn't it?

Why has the mentality of the ruling class in dealing with the populace remained essentially mired in time? Besides the fact that the ruling party has been in power all this time, I am convinced the main reason is the influence of LKY. He came to power during those tumultous days a few decades ago and that has coloured his thinking. His views on world affairs may have changed but not his perception of the people of Singapore. He certainly has no obligation to help others into power but he needs to ask himself if the people of Singapore are best served by his remaining in power (I am assuming that he really wanted the best outcome for Singapore). If his advice is so keenly sought, there is no need for him to remain in parliament as Senior Minister/Minister Mentor as people will still seek his advice regardless of his official post. If he is gracious and honourable, he would have fully stepped aside but he is most welcome to critique government policies as a private citizen. By holding on to power, I can only conclude that he still desires to control the decision-making process. Whether he sincerely believes he is working for the good of the nation, only he can answer that question.
"Whether he sincerely believes he is working for the good of the nation, only he can answer that question."

No need to ask lah,we who have eyes will see,who have ears will hearmwhio have senses will feel

WORKING FOR HIS PERSONAL GLORIFICATION IS INTENTIONAL,WORKING FOR SINGAPORE CITIZENS IS ACCIDENTAL!

HOW TO EXPLAIN HE CLOSES ONE EYE TO THE SUFFERING OF THE KLOWER LEVEL OF SPORE CITIZENS,NOT YOU AND ME OF COURSE.

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
If he is gracious and honourable, he would have fully stepped aside but he is most welcome to critique government policies as a private citizen. By holding on to power, I can only conclude that he still desires to control the decision-making process. Whether he sincerely believes he is working for the good of the nation, only he can answer that question.

If he lets go of power and he starts criticizing the government as a private citizen, wouldn't he also face the similar danger of being sued by the latter for defamation?

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal

If he lets go of power and he starts criticizing the government as a private citizen, wouldn't he also face the similar danger of being sued by the latter for defamation?

How come Mathathir blasted Abdullah left, right and centre also never kanna sued? Is it because Malaysia is less advanced than Singapore?

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
How come Mathathir blasted Abdullah left, right and centre also never kanna sued? Is it because Malaysia is less advanced than Singapore?

Heehee that is because got so much dirt on each other that neither wants to risk it all coming out in the open. :biggrin:

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal

Well, you have to ask the old man why he is so addicted and paranoid unlike his adversary.

And on another note Malaysia is certainly less advanced than Singapore when it comes to suing the press and the opposition ~

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
I meant that rhetorically lah. I don't know of any political system in developed countries that sue their opponents into bankruptcy despite all the m&d-throwing, name-calling, accusations and insinuations.

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
MM: Want me to step down? Wait long long.
you think i so stupid to give up my gold iron made seat and my multi millions?
If I step down, I will be jobless and waiting to die.
Now I travel the world, expanding my sphere of influence, at the same time continue to be emperor. The best of whole world.:biggrin:

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
I meant that rhetorically lah. I don't know of any political system in developed countries that sue their opponents into bankruptcy despite all the m&d-throwing, name-calling, accusations and insinuations.

The rest of the developed world is not as advanced as Singapore.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
there's no way for unity if the majority of the population only valued money and has no other values and principles?

how to acquire values? maybe to know more about God so that u will fear no other "humans"?

also how to have unity if they country is systematically divided by the U Noe Who with their divide and conquer policies?

now why they want to do that? self interests disguised as national interests peharps?

Tiu Kwang Yew

Alfrescian
Loyal
but people say GOd created many races to split them so they could not build tower to reach God. It worked!

modern days, if you break the unity, they fall apart and cannot unite---good for dictatorship.

if local sinkaporeans would have united as one, PAP already kicked out many years ago ......you see now why immigration is the solution. What solution you may ask ??? Solution to absolute power !

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
but people say GOd created many races to split them so they could not build tower to reach God. It worked!

modern days, if you break the unity, they fall apart and cannot unite---good for dictatorship.

if local sinkaporeans would have united as one, PAP already kicked out many years ago ......you see now why immigration is the solution. What solution you may ask ??? Solution to absolute power !

that's a wrong example to use...the tower of babel...read what really happen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Babel

The Tower of Babel (Hebrew: מגדל בבל‎Migdal Bavel Arabic: برج بابل‎Burj Babil) according to chapter 11 of the Book of Genesis, was an enormous tower built at the city of Babel, the Hebrew name for Babylon (Akkadian Babilu). According to the biblical account, a united humanity, speaking a single language and migrating from the east, took part in the building after the Great Flood; Babel was also called the "beginning" of Nimrod's kingdom. The people decided their city should have a tower so immense that it would have "its top in the heavens"(וְרֹאשׁוֹ בַשָּׁמַיִם). However, the Tower of Babel was not built for the worship and praise of God, but was dedicated to the glory of man, with a motive of making a 'name' for the builders: "Then they said, 'Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for ourselves; otherwise we shall be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.'" (Genesis 11:4). God, seeing what the people were doing, came down and confounded their languages and scattered the people throughout the earth. It had been God's original purpose for mankind to grow and fill the earth.