• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The reason food is expensive in Australia

Baccara77

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's my maiden visit to Australia. I'm surprised that the AMDK staff are very friendly and polite. A basic meal costs A$10, and after a few days I began to understand the cause - the Australians close shops at 5 pm. Most cafes open shop in the morning, catch you for the breakfast and lunch only. Since they have one less opportunity to earn your money because they're not open for dinner, they need to charge you more.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i am more than willing to pay more for my food if they treat their workers well, the waiting staff are paid at least $16 per hour even in mcD.

Baccara77

Alfrescian
Loyal
i am more than willing to pay more for my food if they treat their workers well, the waiting staff are paid at least $16 per hour even in mcD.
I believe the workers are treated well. I have been to Woolworths a couple of times, and the staff are super polite. Even the drivers on the CAT buses are courteous to freeloaders.

Most of the shops are closed at 5 pm, and the shopping centers begin to lock up at 6 pm. There is no night shift in Australia, let alone graveyard shift. So they need to grab as much as possible during the day.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
If workers are paid well...they will also reciprocate and show their working mood.

Try to make small talk to the uncle cleaning the table/toilet or the supermarket check-out girl and see if they are polite or not.

Baccara77

Alfrescian
Loyal
If workers are paid well...they will also reciprocate and show their working mood.

Try to make small talk to the uncle cleaning the table/toilet or the supermarket check-out girl and see if they are polite or not.
There is no such thing as "uncle" in Australia - an euphemism for old and useless adopted by uncouth sinkies.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Closing shops at 5pm will not work in asia. Even in europe( london, paris), shops are open till midnight in some locations to cater consumers demand( basically night owls and tourists)