• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Public Transport Council Wayang Show!

Serpico

Alfrescian
Loyal
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
April 6, 2009
Bus operators fined
By Yeo Ghim Lay

PUBLIC bus operators SBS Transit and SMRT have been fined again by the Public Transport Council (PTC) for not meeting service standards.
SBS Transit, which runs the majority of bus services here, was fined $4,500. Some of its services were overcrowded, while the waiting times of others were too long.

SMRT was fined $100 for one instance in which one of its services was found to be overcrowded.

The fines, which came from a review period from June 1 to Nov 30 last year, were announced by the PTC on Monday.

It is the third time that both operators have been fined by the PTC since the council was authorised by the Government in 2006 to hand down financial penalties to public transport operators.

This time round, however, both companies have improved in their performance, said the PTC.

Last October, the two operators received heavier fines - $9,300 and $1,000 for SBS Transit and SMRT respectively.

The PTC regularly reviews the performance of basic bus services and announces the results in April and October every year.

Said PTC chairman Gerard Ee: 'The PTC recognises that there were initial resource challenges faced by SBS Transit to comply with the new feeder bus headway standard which took effect in August 2008. The PTC is heartened that SBS Transit has since overcome these challenges and has managed to comply with the standard since January 2009.

'On the whole, both operators have demonstrated their commitment to meet commuters' expectations and the standards set by the PTC. This year, they are adding more buses to their fleets and recruiting more bus captains and service leaders.'

zuoom

Alfrescian
Loyal
how proportional is the fine as compared to the delays and overcrowding that the users suffered?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this is what I call loose change and a waste of time. A PTC, whose members are earning at least 10 - 20K per month, decides to fine SBS 4,500? And TIBS 1,000?

What a fucking waste of time. Its peanuts to these 2 companies. They will view this as a donation. This type of soft penalties - no wonder our transport system is increasing being compared to that of Mumbai's

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this is what I call loose change and a waste of time. A PTC, whose members are earning at least 10 - 20K per month, decides to fine SBS 4,500? And TIBS 1,000? ......

When I saw the news I thought it was some kind of joke.

The fines are a mere pittance compared to what these companie are making. I expect these companies will pay these tiny fines & carry on business as usual

PTC obviously doing a 'fine' job :rolleyes:

rainnix

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every time they fine SBS and SMRT - we suffer as the cost will eventually passed to us via price hikes. Fine 4,500 = punish us by millions.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why should bus operators pay PTC?

SBS and TIBS should compensate commuters with fare discounts if they are behind schedule... I guarantee service standards will improve!

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fine peanut only? Can you imagine the cost to company if workers are late for work. If PTC wanted to wayang, please put up a good show and not do it like half boiled egg kind of punishment simply to show they are working and not idling. Who would believe?

brandon66

Alfrescian
Loyal
PTC service review only every 6 months ...

$4500 for 6 months' worth of overcrowding, etc.

$4500 for 6 months in exchange for employing extra buses and drivers to ease the problem

if i were SBS, i'd rather pay the 'fine'

so you tell me - where is the logic?

alvin36

Alfrescian
Loyal
"SMRT was fined $100 for one instance in which one of its services was found to be overcrowded. "

JUST ONE INSTANCE OF OVER CROWDED :confused:
PTC... your eyes pasted with stamps ?? or you think commuters's eyes pasted with stamps ?? :mad:

I stay in Yishun and I need to take bus at about 8.30am every morning. During my usual 10-15 minutes wait at the bus-stop, I can see at least 3 buses (especially 854 and 969) that are over crowded, passengers standing aat the front door stair-case. I got no idea, why ptc say only ONE instance of over crowding in 6 months. I think better ask ptc dont waste time, dont waste money on investigation. :mad: Nowadays, with the digital ezi-link card, I'm sure the bus can know instantly, how many pessenger on board the bus. I got no fucking idea why ptc says only ONE INSTAND of OVER CROWDED.

I ever made a complain to SMRT, and the reply is really funny. They replied and told me that the problem is due to pessengers reluclant to move to the rear !!! therefore, not their problem ???

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I ever made a complain to SMRT, and the reply is really funny. They replied and told me that the problem is due to pessengers reluclant to move to the rear !!! therefore, not their problem ???

Must be those thousands of phantom fare cheats :smile:

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
PTC must be seen to be doing something especially with when Sporeans are angry with the public transport situation. Suspect its also an election year :rolleyes:

Then at least fine them a couple of million for overcrowding incidents, not $100 for one instance in 6 mths...anyone who would have taken a bus or mrt ride year on year, day by day, would know that the train is getting even more packed as the years pass by. I remember a time when one would have 1 sq foot of space even during peak hours. Now people are pressing onto you, some are right on your face..there isn't even enough elbow room around.

Gerald Ee is probably having a joke at our expense. Maybe its time he got out of his BMW or his Mercedes and take the train or bus to his workplace at 8am in the morning.

Serpico

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gerald Ee is probably having a joke at our expense. Maybe its time he got out of his BMW or his Mercedes and take the train or bus to his workplace at 8am in the morning.

I feel sad when I recall the memory of Dr.Ee Peng Liang, the "Father of Charity."

Ee Peng Liang (1913– 1994) Businessman and philanthropist. Ee Peng Liang was educated at St Joseph’s Institution and later qualified as a chartered accountant. He founded his own accounting firm, Ee Peng Liang and Company, which merged with Ernst and Whinney (later Ernst & Young) in 1986. Ee is best known for his life- long dedication to charitable causes and organizations. Among the numerous organizations which he headed were the National Council of Social Service (1958– 92); the Marymount Vocational Centre; Boys’ Town; Catholic Welfare Services; Mount Alvernia Hospital; the Singapore Scout Association; and the Community Chest of Singapore (1983– 92).
For his efforts to help the less fortunate, Ee was nicknamed the ‘Father of Charity’, ‘Mister Charity’ and the ‘Professional Beggar’. He also won numerous accolades for his humanitarian work, including the Public Service Star (1964); the Meritorious Service Medal (1967); the Distinguished Service Award, Singapore Scout Association (1970); the Meritorious Service Medal, Singapore Red Cross (1977); an honorary doctorate of letters, University of Singapore (1976); the Distinguished Service Order (1985); the Order of Nila Utama (Second Class) (1991); Bronze Wolf, World Scout Bureau (1991); and the ASEAN Achievement Award for Charity (1994). He was also made an Officer of the Order of St John’s Ambulance (1971); and a Knight Commander of the Order of St Gregory the Great (1974).