• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The politics thread :)

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
To M'sian bros registered to vote, have you guys checked ur status at the SPR website (spr.gov.my), especially if you are first time voters? What does your "STATUS REKOD" show? Mine shows just a dash, ie. "-" under that field - Is this what it should be? I'm a first-time voter, registered a year ago, so not sure. All other details are intact (ie. voting district, state/parliament seats, etc).

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal
To M'sian bros registered to vote, have you guys checked ur status at the SPR website (spr.gov.my), especially if you are first time voters? What does your "STATUS REKOD" show? Mine shows just a dash, ie. "-" under that field - Is this what it should be? I'm a first-time voter, registered a year ago, so not sure. All other details are intact (ie. voting district, state/parliament seats, etc).

Mine is also '-'. I think should be ok. I remember when my parents applied to change voting district, their status field became something along the lines of "rekod sedang dikemaskan" or updated or something like that.

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mine is also '-'. I think should be ok. I remember when my parents applied to change voting district, their status field became something along the lines of "rekod sedang dikemaskan" or updated or something like that.

Ok, that's good. I also checked with the 'unofficial' S'pore chapter of Bersih and it seems ok.

After reading about the manipulation that's been going on in Sabah these past years with the blatant complicity of BN (see http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/1/17/nation/12587074&sec=nation), I don't want to take any chances!

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bumping this thread up, due to my anger at the PAP's 6.9m white paper. Apparently they really really have no clue, despite repeated feedbacks. There's only 1 way to make them understand, or should i say, extinct?

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here in this dedicated page, you are welcome to talk about any country policies. Even Timbaktu if need be. :smile:

Aussie election Sept 14th! I hope she wins, don't want Abbott the mad monk!

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/political-news/pm-announces-election-for-september-14-20130130-2dk4u.html

PM announces election for September 14
Date
January 30, 2013 - 3:29PM
738 reading nowComments 640 VoteRead later
Judith Ireland and Daniel Hurst

inShare
Pin Itsubmit to redditEmail articlePrintReprints & permissions

Gillard launches longest election campaign
Julia Gillard announces Australians will go to the polls on September 14.
Autoplay ONOFFVideo feedbackVideo settings
Prime Minister Julia Gillard has announced the federal election date as September 14 this year.

In a surprise move, Ms Gillard broke with tradition to set the election date months before the polling date - effectively setting the country up for a campaign season lasting more than seven months.

"Time is not for wasting. So decisions have to be made about how we use our time this year," Ms Gillard said in a speech to the National Press Club in Canberra.

Called the election ... Prime Minister Julia Gillard. Photo: Alex Ellinghausen
It comes as Opposition Leader Tony Abbott launched a mini-campaign, ahead of the first week of parliament next week.

Advertisement
September 14 is well before the latest possible election date for the House of Representatives of November 30, 2013.

The writs for the election will be issued on August 12, setting up a short parliamentary year until the election. This will see the House of Representatives dissolved and half the Senate up for re-election.

The election date falls on the Jewish holiday, Yom Kippur. Liberal frontbencher and member for Wentworth Malcolm Turnbull said he was deeply disappointed about the clash.

"Deeply disappointed that Julia Gillard chose to hold the election on Yom Kippur - the most solemn and sacred day of the Jewish year," he posted on Twitter.

The Prime Minister explained that she did not announce the date today to start the nation's ''longest election campaign''.

"It should be clear to all which are the days of governing and which are the days of campaigning," she said.

Ms Gillard said that last year Australians' patience was tried by "months of boiling hot political debate with most of it somewhat ironically about global warming".

"In 2013, I am determined their patience is not tried again," she said.

Ms Gillard said that not everything about the "tenor and temperature" of the debate in the coming election year was in her control.

"But I can act to clear away the carry-on that comes with speculation about when the election will be held," she said.

"I can create an environment in which the nation's eyes are more easily focused on the policies, not the petty politics. I can act so Australia's Parliament and government serves their full three-year-term."

Ms Gillard said that she had always said that the parliament would serve a full term.

"There's only a limited number of dates on which the election could held," Ms Gillard said, saying she had thought about the election date over the summer.

She said she had consulted Treasurer Wayne Swan and a few senior colleagues about the election date.

The move has been welcomed by independent MPs Rob Oakeshott and Tony Windsor, who were also told of the date ahead of Ms Gillard's announcement.

"The early announcement of the federal election date of September 14 is good for the nation," Mr Windsor said.

"I congratulate the Prime Minister on her decision to provide the Australian people with some direction and certainty as to when they will go to the polls."

Greens leader Christine Milne said everyone knew an election would be held this year but the announcement would put an end to speculation about exactly when.

"It's going to be a great year; it's going to be an exhausting year for everyone in the political process," she said.

Independent South Australian senator Nick Xenophon also welcomed the announcement.

"This is a quasi-fixed term parliament now. I think it is a good for democracy. We all know now when we'll be put out of our misery," he said, adding that it was good for independents who did not have big party machines to back them.

NSW Premier Barry O'Farrell said: "This will be an important election for NSW to ensure we get our fair share of federal infrastructure funding.''

Mr Abbott has promised $1.5 billion towards construction of the NSW government's $10 billion road project, WestConnex, which will extend the M4 motorway from north Strathfield to Sydney airport.

Since the 2010 election, Mr O'Farrell has argued Ms Gillard should shift $2.1 billion she has earmarked for the Parramatta to Epping rail line to Mr O'Farrell's election promise to build the north-west rail link.

But Ms Gillard has said the funding offer is non-negotiable.

Mr O'Farrell has also questioned the independence of the federal funding body Infrastructure Australia.

He has suggested that its decisions about which projects to fund may have been influenced by the local political interests of the infrastructure minister, Anthony Albanese, who holds the inner Sydney seat of Grayndler.

Tasmanian independent Andrew Wilkie said the early announcement was a positive development but cautioned it would be wasted if it meant there was a seven and a half month campaign.

"Yes, let's talk about the election, but not forget there's still a significant period of this parliament left to run," he said in a statement.

Mr Abbott was in Melbourne this morning, continuing his "mini-campaign". He visited a cancer centre in East Melbourne and attended a community morning tea in Sunbury.

Since the hung parliament in 2010, he has repeatedly called for another election.

Fairfax Media understands that Mr Abbott will argue that in announcing the election date so early, Ms Gillard is trying to shore up her leadership within the Labor Party.

Shadow Treasurer Joe Hockey responded to the news by noting on Twitter: "Election on Sept. 14 is before the final budget outcome is revealed for the current year."

Scott Prasser, executive director of the Australian Catholic University's Public Policy Institute, said Ms Gillard's "unprecedented" move would benefit the government because it could keep campaigning with government resources.

"Normally when you announce the election, you go to the Governor-General and enter caretaker mode,'' he said.

''By doing it this far out she can run more of a de facto election campaign with all the resources at her back and grind down Tony Abbott.

"By making this announcement it will change the tenor of all debates between now and September."

Professor Prasser said it was an attempt to more proactively set the agenda for the year, but it also removed the opportunity for Ms Gillard to use the element of surprise to call an election at any time.

He said he believed the move would put pressure on the opposition to spell out more detailed policies.

Queensland Labor MP Graham Perrett greeted the news with enthusiasm on Twitter.

"Bring it on. Bring it on. Bring it on!" he posted.

His colleague, NSW Labor MP Stephen Jones observed that: "the 2010 election campaign didn't really end. We've had a 2 year campaign already."

Ms Gillard did not say whether she wanted to see fixed-term elections for the federal parliament. "I wasn't making a policy decision about that for the long term."

The Prime Minister said that she had exercised traditional prime ministerial prerogative: "I've just done it in an unusual fashion."

Former Queensland premier Anna Bligh similarly broke with precedent by announcing last year's state election date early, but not with such a long lead time.

On January 25 last year, Ms Bligh announced she would visit the Governor on February 19 to request the dissolution of Queensland Parliament with an election to follow on March 24.

In that case, Ms Bligh justified the early announcement by saying it was needed to give certainty and ensure voters were able to see the final report of inquiry into the devastating 2010-11 floods.

ABC election analyst Antony Green said the move was similar to one taken by New Zealand Prime Minister John Key who announced the election day more than half a year in advance in 2011.

Mr Key had argued then that certainty was needed ahead of the Rugby World Cup because the chance to showcase the country should not be jeopardised by him "playing politics" with the election date.

On Twitter, Mr Green said the nine-month notice period was longer than the three months Sir Robert Menzies gave in 1958 and 1961.

with Sean Nicholls

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...eptember-14-20130130-2dk4u.html#ixzz2JQpSntv6

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bumping this thread up, due to my anger at the PAP's 6.9m white paper. Apparently they really really have no clue, despite repeated feedbacks. There's only 1 way to make them understand, or should i say, extinct?

Immediately after BE, they announced the white paper!

Hope they learn, the 60%.:rolleyes:

Come 2016....

Last edited:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, from the start, he didn't say stop..right? :biggrin:

The only thing we can do is to vote against them. At the same time, buy 'overseas' insurance in JB, Sydney or wherever. I have learnt that if you cant beat them, you got to milk the system in the best way we can (eg rent out HDB, SG condo & stay in overseas)

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the white paper was finished before the BE. Now that the BE is over, they release the white paper probably thinking if they release earlier the white paper may cost the govt some votes.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think the white paper was finished before the BE. Now that the BE is over, they release the white paper probably thinking if they release earlier the white paper may cost the govt some votes.

Definitely! It was well planned way way b4 the BE. I mean after getting such poor results, they still havent get the message fm the voters? 7 million! OMG!! And half are foreigers!

lakeview

Alfrescian
Loyal
Definitely! It was well planned way way b4 the BE. I mean after getting such poor results, they still havent get the message fm the voters? 7 million! OMG!! And half are foreigers!

They have mislead alot of ppl, current population of 5.31 mil, i believe local born S'porean is only about 55% which is around 3 mil.

By the time when reach 7 mil, local born S'porean % will be less than 40%. Which we will become minority.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Here is the story, according to PM Lee anyway.
(Not sure if this news is posted before...)

http://www.overseassingaporean.sg/articles/d/pm-throws-light-on-what-led-to-infrastructure-strain

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong yesterday gave the most comprehensive account to date of the circumstances that ultimately led to the strains on infrastructure in recent years.

Is the bigest bull shitt lah. Dont tell me the foreigners swim across the ocean without anyone knowing ?

Walker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Once a pushover, Malaysian opposition sniffs power

AFP
Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013

KUALA LUMPUR - After bloodying the government's nose in 2008 elections, a more experienced and organised Malaysian opposition is eyeing the once-unthinkable: toppling one of the world's longest-serving governments.

Malaysians vote soon with the formerly hapless opposition buoyed by a new track record of state-level government, signs of growing voter support, and what its leader Anwar Ibrahim calls a sense of history in the making.

"I am convinced, Inshallah (God willing), that we will win government," Anwar told AFP, evoking the winds of change that powered the "Arab Spring" elsewhere in the Muslim world.

"Of course we call it a 'Malaysian Spring', but our method is elections (not uprisings)."

Prime Minister Najib Razak is expected to call a fresh vote in weeks, pitting his Malay-dominated Barisan Nasional (National Front) coalition against Anwar's multi-ethnic opposition alliance Pakatan Rakyat (People's Pact).

The 57-year-old ruling bloc enjoys deep pockets, mainstream media control, an electoral system the opposition says is rigged, and a record of decades of economic growth under its authoritarian template.

Few expect the opposition to win the 112 parliamentary seats needed to take power. The three-party alliance won 82 seats in the 2008 polls, up from 21, stunning the BN with its biggest-ever setback.

But speculation is rife that Pakatan could win enough in the polls - which must be held by late June - to lure ruling coalition defectors and form a government.

"Before this year, many were in denial about Pakatan's potential. Today, we see society beginning to accept that the possibility (of a BN defeat) is real," said Wan Saiful Wan Jan, who runs the independent Malaysian think tank IDEAS.

The country's stock market has trembled recently over the uncertainty as opinion polls suggest the vote will be tight. One recent survey put Najib and Anwar neck-and-neck as prime ministerial candidates.

In a January 12 show of force, the opposition held a rally that drew clsoe to 100,000 people, paralysing much of the capital Kuala Lumpur in one of Malaysia's biggest-ever political gatherings.

"I think it's very close, and the party that makes the least mistakes will be the party that wins," said Ambiga Sreenavasan, head of Bersih, an NGO coalition that has organised large public rallies for electoral reform.

Pakatan attacks the ruling coalition, and particularly its dominant partner the United Malays National Organisation (UMNO), as corrupt, repressive and lacking a long-term vision for Malaysia.

Anwar says Pakatan would end authoritarianism and free the media.

It would lure foreign investment by attacking rampant graft and reforming the system of preferences for Malays that is blamed for harming national econonomic competitiveness and stoking resentment among minority Chinese and Indians.

"The people are committed to reform. There is a legitimate expectation among the public for them to see that reforms do take place," Anwar said.

Anwar, who was acquitted a year ago on sodomy charges he called a bogus UMNO attempt to ruin him politically, has been integral to the opposition's revival.

The former BN heir-apparent's spectacular 1998 ouster in a power struggle with then-premier Mahathir Mohamad gifted the opposition a charismatic leader with top government experience to rally around.

The loose alliance of 2008 is stronger today, having since agreed on a common manifesto, and has shown it can govern in four states won five years ago, the most ever in opposition hands. Malaysia has 13 states.

"Cooperation between the parties is much stronger than 2008. They have done more to prepare the ground for new voters," said leading political pollster Ibrahim Suffian.

Concerns linger over Pakatan's ability to govern nationally.

Besides Anwar's multi-racial People's Justice Party, it includes the Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS) representing Muslim ethnic Malays, and the secular Democratic Action Party dominated by ethnic Chinese.

PAS's calls for an Islamic state are a source of alliance squabbling, but Anwar dismisses any concern, saying PAS realises the goal is a non-starter in the diverse nation.

Economists, meanwhile, warn that populist Pakatan promises such as free primary-to-university education could sink Malaysia into debt, while noting ever-larger public handouts by Najib's government also posed a risk.

Najib took office in 2009 and has portrayed himself as a reformer but surveys suggest BN is still viewed as a corruption-plagued, status-quo force.

Eroding minority support, particularly Chinese, that hurt the coalition in 2008 appears to be accelerating, independent polls show, while first-time voters estimated to number up to three million are a question mark.

One top UMNO official told AFP that party officials fear the coalition could lose 20 more seats - it now has 140 - raising the spectre of a Pakatan power play.

"All said, Najib still has the advantage, but an opposition victory is clearly possible," said Bridget Welsh, a Southeast Asian politics expert at Singapore Management University.

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal

Is the bigest bull shitt lah. Dont tell me the foreigners swim across the ocean without anyone knowing ?

I think PM Lee acknowledged he knew since it is he who opened up the floodgate for FT to come in while the sun was still shining so to speak.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal

Is Ah Goh opened up the gate and then Ah Lee pull the gate down... titter.gif