• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The politics thread :)

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Living in JB 3 (Johore)

I don't know how you relate RON97 = singaporean?

RON97 is no longer subsidised item. current crude oil price at ~90-100, you can probably check what is the fair price for 1 liter of petro. bear in mind previously when crude price was ~140, Ron97 was still heavily subsidised even at RM2.90.

If you think MY goverment not welcoming singaporean because they raise RON97 price, can always go back singapore pump RON95 or even RON92.

Singaporean car = foreign cars = can only pump Ron97.

$2.90 for Ron97 reached only for the first time in 5 May 2011, a long time after its is no longer subsidized.

I said MY govt not as welcoming as before to Singaporeans; did not said they don't welcome Singapore. Cannot pump Ron 95 in Singapore lah, SG govt sucking Singaporeans and everyone around, that's why we pump in MY, never did I said Singapore govt good. :smile:

Hondacrv

Alfrescian
Loyal

Can malaysians witb WP or s pass or EP stay in jb and drive malaysia cars to singapore to work daily? Every other days i see the same old faces monday-friday crossing second link with malaysia cars to work. Got one chio bu driving a PET xxxx plate. Must be a pretty penang girl. With such high car price in spore, i really envy them because they are the ones who really got the best of both world. 20buck vep per day is really peanut when buying a 90k coe.

Its the singapore currency which is driving up malaysia property market. About 20% of property purchases in johor are made by foreigners. But i strongly believe as high as 60% of the purchases are made by malaysians or sporeans or ft working in singapore. We are all responsible for driving up the property market.

I was looking thru the asking prices. There are still decent sub 300 k houses in jb.. In gelang patah and some old towns. Sometimes i really hope to rent out my HH house, retire early and rent a house cheaply somewhere.

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal

Can malaysians witb WP or s pass or EP stay in jb and drive malaysia cars to singapore to work daily? Every other days i see the same old faces monday-friday crossing second link with malaysia cars to work. Got one chio bu driving a PET xxxx plate. Must be a pretty penang girl. With such high car price in spore, i really envy them because they are the ones who really got the best of both world. 20buck vep per day is really peanut when buying a 90k

Ya only these groups of people if they register malaysian residential address can drive in a foreign car and pay VEP.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Interesting. Does it mean if we have a malaysia registered residential address can drive a foreign car to Singapore?

Ya only these groups of people if they register malaysian residential address can drive in a foreign car and pay VEP.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only if you are NOT a Sg citizen or PR, then you can drive a foreign-registered car in Singapore. So, it's not only about the address.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ahem. Are u very sure foreigners can get Mpr? Juz for the record. My bro-in-law is a Msian Snr Custom. Have been pestering him to "pull string" for me and family to get Mpr status. But he told me quite impossible. But if renounce SC, the i could be a MC almost "instantly". Btw, I am a Malay. So either my bro-in-law or u is not telling the truth. For benefit of the doubt, care to PM me on the procudure to gain Mpr? I am really interested. S$1K commission for ur help. I am serious ya.

S$1k offer and no response? Looks like this trickster kena exposed second time, kudos to Whoami!

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

S$1k offer and no response? Looks like this trickster kena exposed second time, kudos to Whoami!

I ever heard some ppl say being a Malay got alot of privileges. Maybe Bumi. But definitely not applicable to foreign Malays. Some ppl still think so long a Non-Malay embrace their religion, change to Abdullah, u already masuk Melayu. U will have the same privileges as wat those Bumis tere get. Dream on I say....

MsTrii

Alfrescian
Loyal

I ever heard some ppl say being a Malay got alot of privileges. Maybe Bumi. But definitely not applicable to foreign Malays. Some ppl still think so long a Non-Malay embrace their religion, change to Abdullah, u already masuk Melayu. U will have the same privileges as wat those Bumis tere get. Dream on I say....

Whoami, beg your pardon if i m wrong but Malaysian offsprings of that person n generations to follow r all automatically bumis n get bumi privileges,right?

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal

Whoami, beg your pardon if i m wrong but Malaysian offsprings of that person n generations to follow r all automatically bumis n get bumi privileges,right?

The Federal Constitution of Malaysia articles 153 and 160 defines these:

Article 153- It shall be the responsibility of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong to safeguard the special position of the Malays and natives of any of the States of Sabah and Sarawak and the legitimate interests of other communities in accordance with the provisions of this Article.

Article 160 defines a Malay as being one who "professes the religion of Islam, habitually speaks the Malay language, conforms to Malay customs and is the child of at least one parent who was born within the Federation of Malaysia before independence of Malaya on 31 August 1957, or the issue (off-spring) of such a person."

Only when one becomes a Malaysian citizen can one then be considered to be bumiputra or not. So if a Singaporean Malay Muslim converts to Malaysian citizen, he is deemed a bumiputra.

(Note just to blow steam and vent my frustration here - Conversely, Malaysians of Chinese/Indian heritage after more than 2-3 generations in Malaysia as full fledged citizens still get labelled as "Pendatangs" by some irresponsible politicians. See how bad that is, sad case huh).

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Of course if one were to marry a bumi, their offsprings wld consider one. Actually i was referring to one who convert to Muslim (independently) but not thru marrying a Bumi tere. Cos alot of non-malays still tink so long ur a Malay/Muslims, u have the same benefits as the Bumis. One example....lets say my wife and I Sporean Malays. But my mum in law is a Msian residing tere. But i dont enjoy watever benefits/privileges she has.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

(Note just to blow steam and vent my frustration here - Conversely, Malaysians of Chinese/Indian heritage after more than 2-3 generations in Malaysia as full fledged citizens still get labelled as "Pendatangs" by some irresponsible politicians. See how bad that is, sad case huh).

I can understand where ur coming fm. And i guess u should also know why some politicians are behaving such. Election around the corner. Do wat u tink its best for u and ur generations to come ya..

TrulyAsia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Just read an article in Yahoo Singapore regarding ‘Focus on getting singles to settle down’, the author advocates that singles to be allowed to buy HDB flat with less restrictions because it is equally important to help the singles to settle down earlier, total fertility rate will improve as a result.

I do agree that eligibility for HDB flat should not be used as carrot in promoting marriage and ultimately procreation.
Law markers must not neglect the singles as enhancing the welfare for married couples is not the only solution for improving total fertility rate.

Government ought to consider these suggestions:

1) All Singapore Citizens (age 21 & above) are eligible to register for BTO flat or buy resale HDB flat

2) Two singles may keep their existing HDB flats upon marriage, upon selling (one or both) they are only eligible to own one HDB flat unless they have more than 2 kids

3) Married couples shall be entitled to higher subsidy, while singles are not

4) Tighten the rule for PR's eligibility to own HDB flat, only PRs who are 10 years or longer in Singapore are eligible to buy

5) Staggered pricing for HDB flat according to level of income

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal

Are we already being pushed out of our SG home , now I am confused which will eventually be my home.

http://forums.asiaone.com/showthread.php?t=53800#1

The real fear: Being pushed out of home

Han Fook Kwang
Managing Editor
Sep 09, 2012

One of the most divisive issues today which gets many Singaporeans worked up has to do with the number of foreign workers here.

It's an evergreen topic not just in online forums, but also in the equally noisy world of coffee shops and dinner parties.

Foreigners take the rap for many things that people are unhappy with - overcrowded buses and trains, sky-high property prices, litter in public places, crime and, yes, even fatal road accidents.

This public unhappiness over immigration isn't by itself surprising - it's a hot topic in many places worldwide, especially in Australia, Europe and the United States, and many governments have had to deal with the political fallout from too liberal an immigration policy. Singapore is thus not unique in this respect.

What's unusual here is the extent of the angst even among seemingly unaffected Singaporeans.

This point though is often missed by those who support the policy and who believe that the dissenters are just a small group who are anti-government to begin with and who are responsible for fanning the anti-foreigner sentiment, especially online.

This is a grave mistake and gets in the way of Singapore arriving at a healthy consensus on what the right approach is to this issue.

Yes, the hatred and vitriol of the anti-foreign camp found in cyberspace should be rightly condemned. But this group isn't the one that needs the most attention.

In fact, it isn't just the anti-establishment camp that is concerned about the problems posed by an overly large number of immigrants.

Want to know when it was first raised as a national issue?

Here is an excerpt from a speech made - but I won't tell you in which year until after you've read it: "But, mind you, there still has to be the road sweeper - the chap has got to collect your garbage.

"We have to mechanise because our young men, having been to school, they don't want to do that. "So, we now have work-permit holders to do it. And after a while, there is a limit.

"You see the worksite - 60 to 70 per cent are non-Singapore workers. They work harder, they take greater risks.

"What they earn here is two to three times what they earn in their own country. But we carry a social load.

"They dirty the place, they were not brought up in our schools, they litter. It's a problem.

"And if you take too many, then instead of our values being superimposed on them, they will bring us down to their values because it's easier to be untidy, scruffy, dirty, anti-social than to be disciplined, well-behaved and a good citizen."

The year was 1971, more than 40 years ago, and it was in a speech by then Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew at the National Day Rally. It could have been said just last month by the present PM and still sounded as relevant.

And the point about too many foreigners affecting the values of this place wasn't just a one-off passing mention of a peripheral issue which was soon forgotten.

Mr Lee was to raise it again eight years later in 1979 on the same National Day Rally stage.

This was what he said: "Let me tell you the risks involved in carrying on as before. Last year, we had a record influx of work-permit holders, over 20,000.

"At this rate, we can safely and accurately forecast further input of 20,000, perhaps, 25,000 work-permit holders for 1980. In five years, you will have 120,000, in 10 years, a quarter million.

"Is it bearable? Maybe if they were from our traditional sources: with Malaysians there are minimal cultural and language problems. Last year, however, because there were not enough Malaysians, we started to move further afield and took work-permit holders from Thailand, from Sri Lanka, from India, from Bangladesh.

"They are good workers. They are hungry, they are lean, they are keen... But I have a responsibility to you. In 10 years, can we digest so many? There will be cultural, linguistic, social and political problems."

Well, those cultural, linguistic, social and political problems have now come to roost, 40 years on.

I have to say when I first came across those two passages I held my breath. I knew Mr Lee had the ability to look beyond the horizon and spot potential problems, but I think even he would be surprised by the accuracy of his prediction.

At the root of the public disquiet is a very basic human fear of being displaced, outrun, undone, outsmarted, and many other things that fellow human beings sometimes do to one another, especially if the strangers are from another tribe who have suddenly appeared at your door.

This anxiety about being displaced in one's own home is a deep-seated one that goes far beyond the occasional gripes about loud-mouthed or anti-social foreigners, and it has to be recognised and acknowledged before any meaningful conversation and resolution of the issue can take place.

The problem is compounded because the experience so far has not been a pleasant one, especially over the last five years when the country's infrastructure - the public transport system, housing, hospitals, etc - was found wanting in the face of the large influx of foreigners. Singaporeans were literally displaced and crowded out as a result.

This lack of proper planning was most unfortunate and was the worst possible outcome for the successful implementation of the policy. It made public acceptance much more difficult.

But infrastructure can be expanded and improved - new MRT lines built and housing stock increased - and in time, it should become less of an issue.

Not so easy to resolve is the issue of values and identity which Mr Lee raised, and the cultural and social problems that he mentioned.

It has to do with valuing the Singapore we call home and which we want to make in our own image and not have it shaped by outsiders who have had nothing to do with our past and our heritage.

This then is at the heart of the complaints Singaporeans have whenever they cite the loud ways of some foreigners, or that they only want to speak their own language and keep to themselves.

The problem is especially acute today because of the large numbers of firstgeneration immigrants with their very different ways. Over time, when their children grow up here and become assimilated in the local culture, it may become less of an issue.

But now, when many Singaporeans feel the texture of their home is changing too quickly, their anxieties need to be managed and soothed.

There is one reality though which needs to be recognised, and this is that how one feels about this issue partly depends on one's own circumstances.

Successful Singaporeans who have made it and are secure about their future will not feel as threatened by foreigners in their midst. This group includes political leaders and people in business, even more so if they are employers of foreign workers.

The large majority of Singaporeans in the heartlands, who worry about their job security and the future prospects of their children, will have a completely different perspective, and will be much less sympathetic to the argument that Singapore needs these foreigners to grow and prosper.

Policymakers and political leaders have to bear this in mind and try harder to understand the mindset of this large group of Singaporeans who feel threatened. It is a real and deep-seated fear that has to be addressed.

In fact, today's immigrants are far more threatening to this group of Singaporeans than when Mr Lee spoke about it in 1971. Then, they were mainly low-skilled foreign labour being imported into Singapore - the road sweepers, shipyard and construction workers.

Today, there are large numbers of high-end immigrants entering the country, many from China and India. They are no longer the "untidy, scruffy, dirty" lot Mr Lee referred to.

Instead, they are better educated, more hard-working and driven, and better able to compete against professional Singaporeans in many areas of work. And they compete not just for jobs but also for scarce resources such as private property and certificates of entitlement to buy cars.

High-end immigration is infinitely more threatening to the local population than low-end labour, and explains a great deal of the angst and anxiety felt by Singaporeans, including those in the professional class.

Recognising this is a critical part of the exercise to get Singaporeans to accept them in larger numbers.

There is no doubt that continuing to attract immigrants to supplement the local workforce will be important for Singapore to become a vibrant city able to create better jobs and provide greater opportunities to its citizens to do well.

The right mix of immigrants with the requisite skills and attitudes will add to our diversity and make Singapore society stronger and better able to meet the challenges of a globalised world.

But the Government needs to understand the concerns of citizens much better, and at a deeper level than it has.

Failure to do so will make the problem much harder to resolve.

[email protected]

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal

Just read an article in Yahoo Singapore regarding ‘Focus on getting singles to settle down’, the author advocates that singles to be allowed to buy HDB flat with less restrictions because it is equally important to help the singles to settle down earlier, total fertility rate will improve as a result.

I do agree that eligibility for HDB flat should not be used as carrot in promoting marriage and ultimately procreation.
Law markers must not neglect the singles as enhancing the welfare for married couples is not the only solution for improving total fertility rate.

Government ought to consider these suggestions:

1) All Singapore Citizens (age 21 & above) are eligible to register for BTO flat or buy resale HDB flat

2) Two singles may keep their existing HDB flats upon marriage, upon selling (one or both) they are only eligible to own one HDB flat unless they have more than 2 kids

3) Married couples shall be entitled to higher subsidy, while singles are not

4) Tighten the rule for PR's eligibility to own HDB flat, only PRs who are 10 years or longer in Singapore are eligible to buy

5) Staggered pricing for HDB flat according to level of income

Let me take a radical way of looking at how to promote marriages and fertility rates. Our Singles male citizen bank account already disadvantaged by having to serve at least two years of national service. Suggest our govt allows our male citizens age 25 and above to buy BTO flats and with a higher subsidy than married couple.

That will sure put our single males citizen in a better marriageable position and tell you alot of PRC girls will be the first to jump in and grab them. So in order to prevent more of our female singles from being left on the shelf, these single males can only marry our female citizens, if not they will have to sell back their flat to HDB at the original price and bid for a new BTO flat.

Isn't this more workable than all the ideas the elites have been thinking of? Ask our single females whether they will find our single males with a HDB flat more attractive than one who has to live with the parents? In fact a lot of them delay marrying their boyfriends because their boyfriends spent all the money dating them and when they are ready to get married, found out their boyfriend can't even afford a HDB flat and then girlfriend start to force boyfriend to save and thus delay a few more years before getting married. Dosen't this scenario sound familiar to a lot of you?

Last edited:

alleyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal

I say man. One month not here. So many happening. Now got politics thread. Goodie Goodie.

Hope the garment and their trolls hear our fellow Singaporean grievances here.

TrulyAsia

Alfrescian
Loyal

In my opinion, selling back to HDB at original price is also palatable way to ensure the singles are provided with housing needs and not for profiting purposes. On other hand, I think it is not appropriate to associate HDB policy with nationality of Singaporean applicant's spouse because love has no boundary.

That will sure put our single males citizen in a better marriageable position and tell you alot of PRC girls will be the first to jump in and grab them. So in order to prevent more of our female singles from being left on the shelf, these single males can only marry our female citizens, if not they will have to sell back their flat to HDB at the original price and bid for a new BTO flat.

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal

In my opinion, selling back to HDB at original price is also palatable way to ensure the singles are provided with housing needs and not for profiting purposes. On other hand, I think it is not appropriate to associate HDB policy with nationality of Singaporean applicant's spouse because love has no boundary.

Must associate if not after that more and more of our Single female citizen will be left on the shelf as they can't fight with the PRC gals; not that agressive I mean.:p Also our female citizens will then start to complain endlessly.....and give PAP a boot out at next GE.