• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Noodle Thread

jw5

Loyal
This thread is more for discussion about the various types of delicious noodles than for the specific places to eat good noodles.
But if you want to share a wonderful place for eating delicious noodles, please do so. :p

1. Soup Ramen
The soup stock has to be good. Ingredients can be of various types. Personally, I quite like Ajisen for the soup stock and variety of ingredients, but it's rather expensive.

2. Dry mee pok or mee kia with fish balls.
With lots of chilli and cut red chilli padi. Normally most hawker centres, food courts or coffees shops are good enough.

3. Soup La Mian or Ban Mian or Mee Hoon Kway
Eaten with ginger slices and chilli padi. Can have with dumplings or with chicken, pork or fish slices with the option of an egg.

4. Cold Soba
Eaten with a dollop of wasabi and spring onions in the dipping sauce. Most Japanese outlets or sushi places have this, but I'm looking for a good and cheap place.

5. Yellow noodles with Yong Tau Foo.
For a healthy meal, take the soup version, less fried stuff and use the chilli and sweet sauce dip sparingly.

6. Dry Wanton Noodles.
Eaten with sour chilli sauce and cut green chilli.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With lots of chilli and cut red chilli padi. Normally most hawker centres, food courts or coffees shops are good enough.

Lor 8 Toa Payoh hawker centre, now moved to kpt coz of reno, Upp S'goon kpt opp Hotel 81 and Fragrance, Simpang Bedok has 2 stalls

6. Dry Wanton Noodles.

Dunman Rd hawker centre, Joo Chiat, Eminent Plaza

Coolsaint77

Alfrescian
Loyal
This thread is more for discussion about the various types of delicious noodles than for the specific places to eat good noodles.
But if you want to share a wonderful place for eating delicious noodles, please do so. :p

1. Soup Ramen
The soup stock has to be good. Ingredients can be of various types. Personally, I quite like Ajisen for the soup stock and variety of ingredients, but it's rather expensive.

Eaten with ginger slices and chilli padi. Can have with dumplings or with chicken, pork or fish slices with the option of an egg.

4. Cold Soba
Eaten with a dollop of wasabi and spring onions in the dipping sauce. Most Japanese outlets or sushi places have this, but I'm looking for a good and cheap place.

For a healthy meal, take the soup version, less fried stuff and use the chilli and sweet sauce dip sparingly.

6. Dry Wanton Noodles.

#7. JB konloh noodle is da best!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
They all good - depends on cook.

But I like Mee Rebus most. Little bit of dark soy sauce, lots of green chilli.

Cheers!

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

1. Soup Ramen

4. Cold Soba

6. Dry Wanton Noodles.

Aiyo, you forgot one very important noodles that most Singaporeans will like.

7. Prawn Noodle Soup.

Soup, with Yellow noodle, that is black and cooked with soya bean to give fragrant to the shrimp stock. Generous Kang Kong, few slices of pork meat. fish cake and deshelled shrimps. Sprinkled with fried onions, set come with dry or soup and choice of red chilli powder or huge chilli cut mixed with light sauce.

Apparently, the many so-called hawkers that have long queue doesn't seem to meet my childhood longing taste of the above prawn noodle.

rabblerous3r

For wanton mee, some people will have their own favourites.
But in my opinion, there is one stall over in Tiong Bahru Market which serves up a nice wanton mee. This stall was chanced upon, when i saw the long queue and was curious about the dish. You will find that it has a crowd queuing up just shy of 630am and is sold out in a few hours time. Sometimes the stall isn't open at all. I think the name is Wah Feng Wanton Mee.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Aiyo, you forgot one very important noodles that most Singaporeans will like.

7. Prawn Noodle Soup.

Soup, with Yellow noodle, that is black and cooked with soya bean to give fragrant to the shrimp stock. Generous Kang Kong, few slices of pork meat. fish cake and deshelled shrimps. Sprinkled with fried onions, set come with dry or soup and choice of red chilli powder or huge chilli cut mixed with light sauce.

Apparently, the many so-called hawkers that have long queue doesn't seem to meet my childhood longing taste of the above prawn noodle.

Upp Dickson Rd - Ah Seng prawn noodles.

M

Mdm Tang

Best in Singapore Satay Mee Hoon

1st : HdB block near to Gombak MRT facing the
mrt track one and next to traffic light.
One man stall with a lady helper. The Best.

2nd : East Coast food centre stall no 17

3rd : old airport road food centre

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Soup, with Yellow noodle, that is black and cooked with soya bean to give fragrant to the shrimp stock.

I don't think soya bean is used (that's yong tau foo soup), but soy sauce. The darker soup version is usually shrimp stock plus dark soy sauce. The lighter soup version is usually shrimp and pork rib stock plus light soy sauce. Penang version has curry-chilli trim-flavoring. All are delicious. :smile:

Whenever available, e.g. at stalls also selling lor mee, I'd choose the thick flat yellow noodle instead of thick round yellow noodle for my hay mee, whether dry or soup. I feel that's really the best fit noodle for hay mee.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't think soya bean is used (that's yong tau foo soup), but soy sauce. The darker soup version is usually shrimp stock plus dark soy sauce. The lighter soup version is usually shrimp and pork rib stock plus light soy sauce. Penang version has curry-chilli trim-flavoring. All are delicious. :smile:

Whenever available, e.g. at stalls also selling lor mee, I'd choose the thick flat yellow noodle instead of thick round yellow noodle for my hay mee, whether dry or soup. I feel that's really the best fit noodle for hay mee.

I remember when I was young, I ate hey mee at Toa Payoh with soya bean in it. Especially when you almost finished up the soup, you see few pieces of soya beans at the bottom. Hmm....now you remind me it could be salted light brown Tou Jiang to give the soup salty taste.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

1. Soup Ramen

4. Cold Soba

6. Dry Wanton Noodles.

Ajisen ramen is the worst japanese ramen i have ever tasted in singapore ...

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ajisen ramen is the worst japanese ramen i have ever tasted in singapore ...

Yup. Ajisen is like the pizza hut of ramen sellers. There are many "serious" ramen restaurants that started up in singapore lately. Check out central mall. There is Marutaman which uses chicken stock, and another one near it (forgot the name) which uses miso soup base. Both are the best in the country at the moment imho.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I remember when I was young, I ate hey mee at Toa Payoh with soya bean in it. Especially when you almost finished up the soup, you see few pieces of soya beans at the bottom. Hmm....now you remind me it could be salted light brown Tou Jiang to give the soup salty taste.

You can make something close that at home too. Use better quality instant noodle like ChuQianYiDing or Myojyo. Have some fresh shrimps peeled. Don't discard the head and shell. Boil them in the soup base first, then sieve out and discard after done. Then cook the noodle. Then throw in the shrimps. Voila! Mama mia. Muak! :smile: :biggrin:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yup. Ajisen is like the pizza hut of ramen sellers. There are many "serious" ramen restaurants that started up in singapore lately. Check out central mall. There is Marutaman which uses chicken stock, and another one near it (forgot the name) which uses miso soup base. Both are the best in the country at the moment imho.

i prefer to eat local food when i am in singapore ....:wink: