• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The future of WP

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ref: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/382524/1/.htmlPM Lee, MM Lee awarded 6-figure sums in libel case against SDP & party leaders

Partial quote:

SINGAPORE: The High Court has awarded six-figure sums to both Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew in their libel case against the Singapore Democratic Party and its leaders.

Justice Belinda Ang said she came to the conclusion that a fair and reasonable figure for damages was S$500,000 for Mr Lee Hsien Loong and S$450,000 to Mr Lee Kuan Yew for defamatory remarks which appeared in an SDP publication during the 2006 General Election.

There has been a lot of WP and SDP rhetoric against each other in this forum.

And when things are quiet between the WP and SDP, some anonymous ones will step in to agitate.

But now the WP people need not bother with SDP because it would appear unlikely that CSJ will be able to contest in the elections. (It seems to be more CSJ's own fault than anyone's else)

With the SDA, RP and SDP leadership 'gone', WP has almost the entire stage for itself.

So it boils down to PAP or WP, which is a good thing because it keeps it simple for voters.

The only question is the effectiveness of the WP...
The PAP had praised WP's LTK, who after 17 years of Parliament had not yet won another seat, and whose own colleague voted PAP.
Therefore can the WP please show singaporeans their stand on minibonds, cpf restrictions, cost of living increases, high ministers pay and MP's less-high pay (excluding LTK's own increased pay), in fact, anything that is relevant to voters and tell us how you can make a difference.

Tell us, not during the 8 days of campaigning but over these two years.

Tell us in the style you often use, careful, measured, cautious.

Nonetheless let your careful, measured, cautious voice be heard.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
And also, give PAP good grade.

Which means, Sporeans are pretty much fucked. 'cause the only opposition left, is a bunch of PAP apologists.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Okay, if that is their strategy, I respect that.

At least keep up the visibility. Go to Speaker's Corner and speak on "Why I love Singapore....laksa"

Once a month, say every Monday 7:00 pm, regularly.

Next topic: "Why katong laksa is best"

Followed by: "Comparing Penang laksa with Singapore laksa"

Followed by: "Laksa is shiok with hum"

Make it fun, make it non-threatening, make it non-political

and make yourself known.

Do it at the party level so that you protect your leaders from having their words miscontrued.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
And also, give PAP good grade.

Which means, Sporeans are pretty much fucked. 'cause the only opposition left, is a bunch of PAP apologists.

They need a stand really. Under JBJ's leadership, his stand was very clear and definite, to stand up for the underdog and to stand against injustice.

Perhaps the WP has shifted since then so that they now look at issues.

What is not so clear is if these issues lead to injustice, will they stand against it?

There are always many sides to an issue. Which side they take needs clarity.

And most important of all, why do voters take the trouble to vote them in.

It carries a cost to voters - when was hougang upgraded?

So for the sake of voters who are prepared to bear with inconvenience to their own estate for the sake of having an opposition in singapore, they should consider the importance of their role to us, the voters.

Before i forget, thank you people of Hougang, people of Potong Pasir.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Ramseth...actually i did remember NSP which was why i mentioned WP has almost the entire stage.

I have very little idea of NSP. Will appreciate any NSP's supporters here on their feedback on how they can deliver value to voters.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Kawoki

An old saying comes to mind. " A fool is someone who keeps on doing the same thing over and over again expecting a differing result each time." This applies equally to all opposition parties.

Locke

Last edited:

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP is one big camp. No need to have a side kick. Why WP wanna go join the PAP camp? Whats the point to have a major Opposition party which is flooded with PAP apologists???

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
An old saying comes to mind. " A fool is someone who keeps on doing the same thing over and over again expecting a differing result each time." This applies equally to all opposition parties.

Well said. Let's sidetrack a bit and reflect on a personal basis. Am I the fool who's quoting the saying to others but forgetting myself?

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
WP's reply:

"No worries since we have an A STAR PAP government. All of us in the CEC voted for the PAP. So where do you think our future lies ?

Hehe.....

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everybody knows that WP is a subsidiary of the PAP.

Even the Lianhe Zaobao reports the official slogan of the Wayangparty Club in their interview with its Chief Editor:

"A VOTE FOR WP = A VOTE FOR PAP !!"

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
CSJ was pushed to the ground, mangled and for good measure, had his head kicked.

The WP supporter came along. Seeing CSJ on the ground, he stopped and looked.

Then he spit.

Peace must come from both heads. Otherwise their supporters will continue to hate each other.

When peace comes, both have a future.

Otherwise only LTK has a future. A new party may well take over the dissatisfaction votes that the rest of WP depends on.

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course LTK has a FUTURE lah, and a BRIGHT future not only for him but for his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren for many years to come.

I heard he lives in a bungalow with 2 or 3 cars and bring home more than $30K a month on top of his MP allowance.

Think about it. Will he dare to challenge the PAP to rock the boat ?

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Avantas,

I do hope you are indeed knowledgeable about LTK's income as otherwise it is very unfair to LTK to make such comments.

Even if LTK has shown his capacity to make money and toe the PAP line (which after all, is one of the consequences of giving high salaries to MPs and Ministers), I wish more true blue opposition like CSJ will also do that.

By rights, such things should not be the case. Politicians come into politics not for money but for ideals. Today i seriously doubt that you can find a single PAP politician where you can state unequivocally that they are here to serve the public (other than the various members of the PAP internet brigade here).

We the voters reap the consequences of our votes. Since the last two years, the current PAP has not proven itself at all other than to increase the cost of living, say that not all the increases are due to them, say they cannot do anything about it.

Thus with a decimated SDP, institutionalized WP and uncaring PAP, voters are truly F.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If your MP or MP-wannabe lives in a 3-room HDB flat and earns $1,000 p.m., then you should worry.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
My concern is never with where the MP stay or rent. If we go along that path, then only the rich or the poor can become MPs.

What matters is why he came into politics in the first place.

And why he remain in politics today.

And how he has served the voters throughout his time in politics.

My concern is that once a person becomes rich or attached to his wealth, he will cease to represent the voters. He will rather maintain the status quo, continue to garner wealth rather than to question policies and risk the loss of wealth.

Under such circumstances, if that person is of the opposition, his value to the voters will be the 1/3 majority. Even if he wants to toe the line he will still be worried about his own election and hence his continued wealth.

And if that person is of the ruling party, his value is what the ruling party says it is.

Thus the overriding criteria is what's the value of that politician - be he the PM, the Minister, the MPs, the Opposition - what is your value?

What is your value to the voters, to Singaporeans, to Singapore?

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
One can be an idealist, but within the means of pragmatism. This means one cannot be tied so tightly to an idea till the point they are trapped within those confines.

Bush Jr is one such example, as with McCain. Lee Kuan Yew is another, as with his son, about social Darwinism, about ownership society, about their pro-American bent, about their rich-folks-get-most-tax-cuts policies. But we have other people, like FDR. America has Obama and the Clintons.

So its not like we cannot have such politicians; its a matter whether the current opposition figures want such people in their teams, so that they have a chance in winning. But if we are stubborn to demand that younger leaders be completely ideologically tied to a philosophy, then the parties will have a hard time against the PAP.