• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The day JBJ made me cry: New photos of JBJ's wake on 3 Oct 2008

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
I drove straight to Mount Vernon after picking little Marcus up from the nursery together with my wife. As I turned into Mount Vernon, we were greeted by a huge banner of condolence to the family of JBJ. My wife, being wife, was still nagging me for making a long detour instead of returning home.

“I still don’t understand why you are so free to come and pay respects to a man we have never met”

“Who says so ? We did meet him a few years ago, remember ?” I snapped.

Well, it’s not exactly a meeting. I first saw JBJ selling his books outside Orchard MRT with my girlfriend (now wife) during my undergraduate days. I had wanted to walk up and talk to him, but my wife pleaded with me not to jeopardize our future by being seen together with this opposition icon.

I still recall her rather silly words till today: “What if somebody take a photo of us and send it to the government ? Then we will never be able to find work in the civil service and even in Singapore you know ?” Perhaps not so silly after all if we realize quite a significant portion of Singaporeans actually share her irrational fears.

The road leading up the parlors are lined completely with cars and I have to park further up. Of course, my wife kept grumbling all the way as we walked down towards funeral parlor 1 where JBJ’s wake is held.

View photos here:

http://wayangparty.wordpress.com/20...me-cry-photos-of-jbjs-wake-on-3-october-2008/

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
I drove straight to Mount Vernon after picking little Marcus up from the nursery together with my wife. As I turned into Mount Vernon, we were greeted by a huge banner of condolence to the family of JBJ. My wife, being wife, was still nagging me for making a long detour instead of returning home.

“I still don’t understand why you are so free to come and pay respects to a man we have never met”

“Who says so ? We did meet him a few years ago, remember ?” I snapped.

Well, it’s not exactly a meeting. I first saw JBJ selling his books outside Orchard MRT with my girlfriend (now wife) during my undergraduate days. I had wanted to walk up and talk to him, but my wife pleaded with me not to jeopardize our future by being seen together with this opposition icon.

I still recall her rather silly words till today: “What if somebody take a photo of us and send it to the government ? Then we will never be able to find work in the civil service and even in Singapore you know ?” Perhaps not so silly after all if we realize quite a significant portion of Singaporeans actually share her irrational fears.

The road leading up the parlors are lined completely with cars and I have to park further up. Of course, my wife kept grumbling all the way as we walked down towards funeral parlor 1 where JBJ’s wake is held.

View photos here:

http://wayangparty.wordpress.com/20...me-cry-photos-of-jbjs-wake-on-3-october-2008/

Your wife's behaviour is understandable, and to her, her fears are justified. But when one's mind is taught from young that life is only possible in Singapore because of the PAP, one would be willing to judge from a well, and not from above, and outside the well.

But I think its sad that because of her willingness to work as a civil servant, she's thinking that a photo with JBJ will endanger her future. I mean, until one becomes a famous personality and hangs out with opposition figures, then will the government get worried. But if you're an ordinary person, not interested in public life but who's willing to support the opposition for the sake of the country, the PAP will not say much.

Until one becomes famous, will the PAP go against an individual. Otherwise, they won't care.