• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

That Little Red Thing

jw5

Loyal
What's the name of that little red thing that is often used to cook with vegetables or with soup?
Someone once told me the name but I have forgotten.
Apparently, eating it is supposed to be good for the eyes.
Other than cooking with vegetables or boiling with soup, how else can it be cooked and eaten?
Does it have any medicinal properties?
What other things do you know that have medicinal properties or good for this or that?

promisedland

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's called gao gei in cantonese...my in laws are giving me such soups frequently...

my eye sight is really getting better now....i could spot a jet plane up in the sky at 30,000 feet easily..

jw5

Loyal
it's called gao gei in cantonese...my in laws are giving me such soups frequently...

my eye sight is really getting better now....i could spot a jet plane up in the sky at 30,000 feet easily..
Do you know what it's called in English and Mandarin?
Does it really help eyesight?

promisedland

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you know what it's called in English and Mandarin?
Does it really help eyesight?

i think if you say cantonese at those chinese medicine shops, they'll understand...

it's good for chicken soups and add those stringy red something...as far as eye sight is concern, i think prevent your eyesight from going bad..

don't yah yah papaya with chinese medicine...if at the hands of experts, they could cure most ailments western prescription medicine can't..and no side effects some more...

yawningcat

Alfrescian
Loyal
its call wolf berry(gou ji zi), good for eyes, good as a general tonic, makes your cock stand all night...kidding.

promisedland

Alfrescian
Loyal
Medicinal

Marketing literature for wolfberry products including several "goji juices" suggest that wolfberry polysaccharides have extensive biological effects and health benefits, although none of these claims have been supported by peer-reviewed research.

A May 2008 clinical study published by the peer-reviewed Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine indicated that parametric data, including body weight, did not show significant differences between subjects receiving Lycium barbarum berry juice and subjects receiving the placebo; the study concluded that subjective measures of health were improved and suggested further research in humans was necessary.[25] This study, however, was subject to a variety of criticisms concerning its experimental design and interpretations.[26]

Published studies have also reported possible medicinal benefits of Lycium barbarum, especially due to its antioxidant properties,[27] including potential benefits against cardiovascular and inflammatory diseases,[28][29] vision-related diseases[30] (such as age-related macular degeneration and glaucoma[31]), having neuroprotective properties[32] or as an anticancer[33] and immunomodulatory agent.[34]

Wolfberry leaves may be used to make tea[35], together with Lycium root bark (called dìgǔpí; 地 骨 皮 in Chinese), for traditional Chinese medicine (TCM). A glucopyranoside and phenolic amides isolated from wolfberry root bark have inhibitory activity in vitro against human pathogenic bacteria and fungi.[36][37]

Z

Zombie

Other than cooking with vegetables or boiling with soup, how else can it be cooked and eaten?

you can eat it like raisins... just put some into your mouth and chew..

wolfberry tea.. put some into a cup and add hot water, can also add chrysanthemum..

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if u say in cantonese in chinese medicine shop ... say gei ji, hor! ...

gao gei in cantonese oso refers 2 a type of veg which u can buy fr ze wet market ...

... Other than cooking with vegetables or boiling with soup, how else can it be cooked and eaten? ...
double-boil it wif black chicken n other herbs ...

... Does it have any medicinal properties?
What other things do you know that have medicinal properties or good for this or that?
go ask chinese medicine shop sinseh ... or google ...

sex6sex6sex6

Alfrescian
Loyal
What's the name of that little red thing that is often used to cook with vegetables or with soup?
Someone once told me the name but I have forgotten.
Apparently, eating it is supposed to be good for the eyes.
Does it have any medicinal properties?

Eh KNN I tot you are saying Tiny Red Dot or what?

I was going to tell you it is called nipples or clits or something as sexy as these, :eek::biggrin::p

promisedland

Alfrescian
Loyal
if u say in cantonese in chinese medicine shop ... say gei ji, hor! ...

gao gei in cantonese oso refers 2 a type of veg which u can buy fr ze wet market ...

thanks for the correction, i can neber be a cantonese..LOL!

by the way do you have the pic of this veg? :biggrin:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... y the way do you have the pic of this veg? :biggrin:
%E6%9E%B8%E6%9D%9E.jpg

2009924759078.jpg

promisedland

Alfrescian
Loyal
wah leh ! I don't take that but I still can see the sun comes up in the morning 93 million miles away leh

easily some more

you are comparing kiwifruits with durians...

i am not lying, if you know the place i am staying has super clear skies...you will believe what i say...

jw5

Loyal
you can eat it like raisins... just put some into your mouth and chew..

wolfberry tea.. put some into a cup and add hot water, can also add chrysanthemum..
Thanks Zombie. :smile:
I didn't even know the name of this before today. I vaguely remember my friend mentioning "gou ji", but this is the first time I have heard of wolfberry.
From Wiki, it seems that it is very nutricious.
But it does not seem to have any specific taste even if cooked with vegetables or soup?

Last edited: