• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Teo Chee Hean's Antics Backfire

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
It seems this smearing campaign has backfired.

TCH: “Mr Low (Thia Khiang) stressed that ‘the selection of NCMP lies solely with the CEC… therefore whether a candidate wanted to be an NCMP or not, the decision is not his’. This is the opposite of the picture that Mr Png first tried to paint -- that he had taken his name off the ballot, and that he was not considered for the NCMP post because he did not want it.” ...this “confirmed that Mr Png had not been telling the truth, and had indeed been rejected by the WP CEC as an NCMP. This is the real damage to the WP and Mr Png’s reputations.”

LTK: Yes, Png informed me of his personal preference not to have his name added into the ballot box for the NCMP post for the East Coast GRC team but “personal preference had to be set aside… Whether a candidate personally wanted to be an NCMP or not, the decision is not his. This is how I believe a collective leadership should function in a political party.” Low fired back that the leaked minutes were “a weak attempt” at “sabotaging” the party’s by-election campaign.

Eric Tan... despite having an axe to grind with WP, confirmed LTK's explanation: to his knowledge, Png had indeed informed a few selected individuals of his personal preference which included Low, WP chairman Sylvia Lim, current NCMP Gerald Giam, and Glenda Han. Tan also confirmed that at the CEC meeting that involved a total of 14 people present, Png did not bring the issue up when his name was added into the ballot box. (In other words Png DID state he is not keen although he did not object vehemently. This confirms Png is not lying although some idiots took the meaning of "take my name out of ballot box" literally)

Little kid says: Teachers want to nominate me as class monitor, i said i don't want, but one teacher still put my name in.

In the eyes of the public: This is quite simple to understand.. what lies?

Public conclusions:
1) PAP playing dirty again... attacking WP integrity by twisting words.
2) PAP's spy network is far reaching... it even penetrates WP... this is scary... gotta stop them

Score at half-time: WP 2: PAP 1

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With Mr. Eric Tan corroborating the evidence, this should be sufficient to rebut TCH's allegations.
Time to to move on to the real issues.

cunnilaubu

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Character assassination is the underhand tactic always used by pap in every elections. JBJ, Francis Seow, tang Liang Hong, James Gomez, Vivian wija, and now ah huat.

They are seriously lack in creativity.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Character assassination is the underhand tactic always used by pap in every elections. JBJ, Francis Seow, tang Liang Hong, James Gomez, Vivian wija, and now ah huat.

Ahmad Mattar, Choo Wee Kiang, Othman Wok, Phey Yew Kok, Teh Cheang Wan, Wee Toon Boon... me need some history lessons, anyone care to share? :o:o:o

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why all the NCMP thing? What's the big deal? Fact is, Png ain't one. You put up anyone as a candidate for Hougang also not an NCMP wat. Fark it lah... move on to other things.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Little kid says: Teachers want to nominate me as class monitor, i said i don't want, but one teacher still put my name in.

In the eyes of the public: This is quite simple to understand.. what lies?

Even though the teacher put the name of the kid as nominee, the kid was not selected. The kid, despite all that is to be believed, went through a proper selection process with other kids in the class. The kid received just one vote and was not selected.

The point is the kid was not selected despite going through a proper selection process. The kid must not now turn around and say "oh, I was not selected because I didn't want to be selected."

It's very true that the kid didn't want to be selected. We can all believe this part, i.e. his intention. But the fact is the kid went through a fair and thorough selection process and was defeated by another kid.

When you lose, you lose. Don't say I lost because I didn't want to win.

Last edited:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since Mr Png had made known to most CEC members that he was not keen on the NCMP seat, it was likely that they acceded to his wishes by not voting for him. I wouldn't know who did vote for him but it could well be the one person he allegedly did not tell.

Even though the teacher put the name of the kid as nominee, the kid was not selected. The kid, despite all that is to be believed, went through a proper selection process with other kids in the class. The kid received just one vote and was not selected.

The point is the kid was not selected despite going through a proper selection process. The kid must not now turn around and say "oh, I was not selected because I didn't want to be selected."

It's very true that the kid didn't want to be selected. We can all believe this part, i.e. his intention. But the fact is the kid went a proper selection process and was not defeated by another kid.

Last edited:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothin unusual with the conduct of the Pappy Scums..

When it comes to dirty tactics of sliming an Opposition figure, they are the best in the business..

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP is playing the good cop and bad cop. TCH is the bad guy engaging a smear campaign while DC plays the role of a gentlemen engaging in a "clean fight".

Depending what the voters are more concern about, PAP strategy of focusing on one issue (and it a nitpick one) does have it risk.

1. Focusing on smearing opponent and ignore all other issues might end up hitting the wrong spot.
2. Campaign have totally deviate from the "clean fight" DC had vowed to do from the beginning.
3. The man leading the charge is TCH and not DC. Totally contradict the "independent" image DC wanted project.
4. WP had been serving in HG for the past 20 years. Now TCH is accusing them of taking the residents for granted. Will the people there buy into this?

Last edited:

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
Png's name was on the ballot. Low himself confirmed that the decisison lies in the CEC.
In other words, Teo Chee Hean was correct, the leadership of WP did not select Png and Png was not honest.

The episode showed two things.
1. Png was indeed dishonest.
2. Leaked minutes showed a split WP leadership.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal

They are a gang of unethical and immoral arsholes.
They are bankrupt of ideas.So they can only resort to character assassinations and threats.

kazuo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Png's name was on the ballot. Low himself confirmed that the decisison lies in the CEC.
In other words, Teo Chee Hean was correct, the leadership of WP did not select Png and Png was not honest.

The episode showed two things.
1. Png was indeed dishonest.
2. Leaked minutes showed a split WP leadership.

Is your name a misspelling of Kanina? Seems like when your father screwed mom, he forgot to put on his thinking cap.

rainnix

Alfrescian
Loyal

It's very true that the kid didn't want to be selected. We can all believe this part, i.e. his intention. But the fact is the kid went through a fair and thorough selection process and was defeated by another kid.

Is it because Png had indicated to CEC that he doesn't want to become NCMP that is why he got 1 vote?

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

The kid didnt want to be in the contest so wld a logical selector vote for him?

So the final outcome was affected because he already said he didnt want to be selected

jw5

Loyal
Pap style has always been to blow something out of proportion and then label someone as being dishonest or lacking integrity.
It's not enough for them just to ask the opponent to clarify what he said or to point out his mistake, linguistic or otherwise.

I can't speak for Png, but he could have simply meant that he didn't believe in the ncmp scheme and would have turned it down anyway.
Perhaps he's a bit of a bumbler, language and explanation skills leave a little to be desired, perhaps he was trying to save face.
That doesn't mean he should be generalised in a sweeping statement as being dishonest or lacking integrity.

Since we are on the subject of ballots and appointments, did any reporter ask TCH whether his name was on the ballot to select the new PM, as
successor to Wooden? Did he ask for his name to be taken out of the ballot? Was he against any balloting? Can someone please ask and get this clarified?

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Coming from the same man who advised his boss to apologise to the public to get back votes and now uses the same old tactics his party has always used. What a walking contradiction, not as smart and savvy as i thought

insignia

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do not think Teo's (and PAP's) antics have backfired at all.

On the contrary, I think that the PAP has definitely won the by-election.

The smear campaign has really picked up and every single mainstream media outlet is helping to destroy Png's image. There was a report in My Paper about how Png's business track record is weak and how he folded 8 companies in 12 years. Moreover there was also a big cover page story about the WP whistleblower and how he felt that Png was the 'wrong candidate'.

The media has won the election for the PAP

Singapore journalists are spineless, gutless creatures with no shred of ethics whatsoever.. they are the worst offenders, worse than even the PAP itself

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
Png said "so that's why my name wasn't in the ballot.". He was trying to explain a fact, why his name was not in the ballot.

The truth is that Png's name was in the ballot. The fact turns out to be false.

Can Png clarify why he was trying to explain a (untrue) fact when he knows all along that it is false?

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1202665/1/.html
I took my name out of the ballot for NCMP post: WP's Png
By Saifulbahri Ismail | Posted: 21 May 2012 1821 hrs

I took my name out of the ballot for NCMP post: WP's Png

SINGAPORE: The Workers' Party's candidate for Hougang, Mr Png Eng Huat, said he had decided not to be considered for the Non-Constituency MP (NCMP) post after last year's General Election (GE).

In an exclusive interview with Channel NewsAsia on Monday, Mr Png revealed he was against the NCMP scheme.

He said this stand goes back to the time when the NCMP scheme was introduced.

He did not wish for a government to dictate on the number and type of opposition members in Parliament.

Mr Png added that before the GE, he had made the position clear to The Workers' Party's Secretary-General Low Thia Khiang and the party.

At a rally on Sunday night, Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean had asked the Workers' Party why it didn't send Mr Png to parliament as an NCMP when it had a chance to do so.

Mr Png said: "I actually took my name out of the ballot for the NCMP post. Because I have a personal stand against the NCMP scheme, so that's why my name wasn't in the ballot. So I don't think DPM knows all of these."

Mr Png was part of the Workers' Party team for East Coast GRC in last year's GE.

The Elections Department had offered three NCMP seats to the best losing opposition candidates in last year's GE.

One of the seats was offered to the Workers' Party's East Coast GRC team, which was taken up by Mr Gerald Giam.

Mr Png also commented on DPM Teo's suggestion that the Workers' Party had taken the Hougang residents for granted.

Mr Teo had said that the manner in which the Workers' Party handled Mr Yaw Shin Leong's expulsion from the party, which had led to the by-election, was the issue.

Mr Png said Mr Teo has not visited nor talked to the residents as intensely as he had.

Mr Png also pointed out the issue of Mr Yaw's expulsion was brought up by residents a few times during his home visits.

- CNA/ck