• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Stop killing our hawker culture

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would like to invite everyone here to air their views about this latest PAP move to allow for corporatising of hawker centres,.....

apart from driving the last of the precious and cherished hawkers into retirement or into selling all kinds of "high priced foods instead of looking after those who do their "cottage" industry types of foods with their "commercial" rents... Now they wanna let their kakis in sheng siong and NTUC take over hawker centres....

Please leave the damm hawkers alone dammit!!!

INSTEAD of inviting a bunch of people who know jackshit about hawker centres like Elim Chew (wtf does selling clothes to kids gotta do with hawker centres???) they should have just gotten the likes of Dr Leslie Tay (from I eat.ishoot.i post) or the like.....

or they can't handle the truth????

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
Damn it. Must everything in Singapore be incorporated and run professionally. The food courts manned by PRC have already killed our original local food culture and this will be the final nail in the coffin.

Whenever possible, I will also patronize stalls where the stall holders speak dialects or Malay/Indian food rather than going for the tasteless PRC cooked food.

hawker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hawker trade is slowly but surely taken over by FTs too. Nothing is safe in Singapore.

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Have to travel to Malaysia more often for authentic food.. singapore hawkers taken over by PRCs who don't grow up with these..

If only more malaysians would take over instead of PRCs.. then it still wouldn't be so bad..

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

I think it's we Sinkies can't handle the truth. Honestly speaking, a lot of our Sinkies are still living in denial and delusion. I talked to a lot of people everyday due to my work and I can say Sinkies deserved what they voted for.

hawker

Alfrescian
Loyal
I didn't vote for them? So do i deserve it? I also did not vote to upgrade the existing hawker center as everyone knows the rental will increase after 'upgrading'.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would like to invite everyone here to air their views about this latest PAP move to allow for corporatising of hawker centres,.....

I am one who loves reminiscing the past, the good old simple ways, but time and tide waits for no one. You can preserve certain pockets to depict the past, but for the most part, things will have to move on to, change with the times. This isn't the case just for Peesai but everywhere throughout the world. How many hawkers wish their children to grow up doing what they did? How many start up businesses wish to remain small? Corporatising, franchising, expansion, diversifying, all these are part of business. Yes, some maintain quality by staying and keeping on what they do well, but how many? Things will change. Get used to it.

Cheers!

presssomemore

Alfrescian
Loyal
I didn't vote for them? So do i deserve it? I also did not vote to upgrade the existing hawker center as everyone knows the rental will increase after 'upgrading'.

Every time when i see a hawker center upgrading, I'm very sad. Because when the hawker center reopens, some of my favorite stores are bound to disappear.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

apart from driving the last of the precious and cherished hawkers into retirement or into selling all kinds of "high priced foods instead of looking after those who do their "cottage" industry types of foods with their "commercial" rents... Now they wanna let their kakis in sheng siong and NTUC take over hawker centres....

INSTEAD of inviting a bunch of people who know jackshit about hawker centres like Elim Chew (wtf does selling clothes to kids gotta do with hawker centres???) they should have just gotten the likes of Dr Leslie Tay (from I eat.ishoot.i post) or the like.....

Must get more Like-minded peopLe Like you, me and and other Sinkies to sign a Huge petition ! ! :(

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I wonder does the quote "chicken rice hawkers driving Mercedes Benz" still apply these days with the super high rental they have to pay..

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
One example NTUC run food court at Rivervale mall, they are expensive compared to Hawker centre,
their ploy on the left hand corner of the signage it show discount .50 cents if your show your NTUC card wtf,
they are still more expensive, food there so so, I rather have my lunch and dinner at AMK hawker centre!

No discount still cheaper and taste better!!! So Sheng Siong , NTUC, Kou Fu and other Kopi tiam consortium please
stay away from Hawker centre we would appreciate very much, and let those auntie and uncles run the hawker centre

We don't need you to increase the food prices!!!!

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Must get more Like-minded peopLe Like you, me and and other Sinkies to sign a Huge petition ! ! :(

no use one lah, even you get all 39.9% to sign on the petition, 超 级 白 will still say majority wins so its LLST.

time to eat all the hawker food you love before they are all gone.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

I have thought about this at lenght. My conclusion is that the majority Stupid Singaporeans are causing the death of hawker food and culture. In my opinion, hawker food has to be cooked by native born singaporeans to be really authentic. Many PRC doing hawker food don't do it right, because its one or 2 small things that make the taste, and u really can't follow a recipe. As well, hawker food itself is usually done in small batches and does not lend itself to mass production easily. For example if you go to Thye Hong Hokkien mee in Wisma Atria Food Republic, you will see the PRC cook making it in the mother of all woks. The noodles are swimming in almost a soup base and looks more like subgum noodles than hokkien mee. There will be a long line up of office workers waiting to buy this crap masquerading as hokkien mee. Just because they serve it on an opeh leave, with sambal and lime does not make it real hokkien mee. The real stuff is cooked over a very hot wok, in small batches usually serving no more than 3 or 4, rather than in Thye Hong's wok which serves 25.

And herein lies the problem. STUPID SINGAPOREANS ARE PATRONISING THESE STORES. hence, providing these stores with sales revenues to continue opening up more crap stores to serve more crap hawker imitation food. Sinkie standard has become so low that they accept the crap that foreigners are serving them as good hawker food. Its pathetic. This, above all, is killing the hawker culture deader than any dumb act of corporatizing the hawker centres or any other meaures by the govt. If sinkies refuse to eat this shit, and patronise only authentic stalls, these crap stores will close for business.

Hawkers can also do a better job to market their stalls. e.g if there are 2 char kway teow stores in a food court or hawker centre, and one has a sign that reads "Real authentic char kway teow cooked by a Singaporean for the last 10 years", and the other store has a cook that can't speak singlish, guess which store I am going to patronise?

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
One example NTUC run food court at Rivervale mall, they are expensive compared to Hawker centre,
their ploy on the left hand corner of the signage it show discount .50 cents if your show your NTUC card wtf,
they are still more expensive, food there so so, I rather have my lunch and dinner at AMK hawker centre!

No discount still cheaper and taste better!!! So Sheng Siong , NTUC, Kou Fu and other Kopi tiam consortium please
stay away from Hawker centre we would appreciate very much, and let those auntie and uncles run the hawker centre

We don't need you to increase the food prices!!!!

Ok, I agree with u on everything except the Koufu in Toa Payoh. I mean, the hawkers in there are really native sinkies, and the food is pretty good. I like the air con and the convenience to MRt and everything else there. Lets face it, where else u can find satay beehoon and heng chai jeow her in air con setting? LOL. Thank god fucking PRCs haven't figured out satay beehoon yet.

Last edited:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
no use one lah, even you get all 39.9% to sign on the petition, 超 级 白 will still say majority wins so its LLST.

time to eat all the hawker food you love before they are all gone.
Huhuhu,so sad.Hawker food have been a BIg part of Singapore's heritage; it wouLd be a NationaL Shame if some
fucktards have it their ways..:(

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore's hawker culture had already been butchered when street hawking was banned.

What happens when you are in a small country run by control freaks? Everything will be micromanaged to the tiniest detail.

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think partially its all this nonsensical upgrading at the drop of a farkin hat which the NEA permits to be done like once every 3 years ....what the heck, i dont think anybody else renovates as often as the way the NEA upgrades its hawker centres....how do you really justify upgrading a hawker centre 3 times in 10 years anyway???? Either the last upgrading was not done properly or they are needlessly wasting public funds for some other ulterior motives.....

Having NTUC and any other corporate entity take over hawker food will just mean the end of whatever thats left of us Singaporeans. If the govt wants to encourage this industry then it will call for a closer listening to the ground.... if you ask me, if the PAP wanna start showing people that they are different and are ready to change ... try doing the smaller stuff like how they could help keep the hawker traditions alive instead of trying to kill off the hawkers and making their lives unprofitable....