• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Stop Blaming FTs for taking away your jobs

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
I HAVE known this friend from China, a nurse, for many years.

We have always communicated in Mandarin, although my command of the language is oftentimes lacking.

A few days ago, we communicated through e-mail for the first time - in English.

The reply to my message of a few lines stunned me: The long e-mail was written in perfect English - the grammar was faultless, the choice of words apt and the sentence construction, fluent.

The reply, written by someone educated in China, put me to shame.

It was also a wake-up call, making me realise that there are many foreigners who are more competent than us fighting with us for a job.

It was wise of the Government and companies to bring in foreign talents to help build Singapore into a First World city. Many have suggested that in the present severe recession we should keep whatever jobs there are for Singaporeans. Foreigners and even permanent residents, they claimed, are robbing us of jobs.

From the employer's point of view, it is what gives him the best value for the money he pays in salaries that matters, never mind if a worker is a Singaporean or a foreigner.

Also, there are many job vacancies for which there are no Singaporean takers.

It was reported that at a recent job fair, people were interested mainly in jobs offered by the integrated resorts. Interest in the childcare, teaching and nursing sectors was low although there were many vacancies.

Perhaps the perceived glamour of working in the leisure industry was a major pull factor.

There are also many jobs at construction sites, but few Singaporeans take up such work.

Should we send all foreign workers home overnight, the whole construction industry would come to a standstill.

My present company, which has a policy of hiring only SINGAPOREANS also has difficulty in recruiting people. "Dirty", "Work Secrecy", "Socially Shun Upon", shift work and rotating days off are some of the many grouses.

Different countries have different talent pools and it is through 'importing' talent we need that we learn and progress.

It is through tapping such expertise that we can expedite projects. Thanks to the genius of a few of them, we have chalked up many achievements.

Besides, all our forefathers were 'foreigners' when they came here, as are present-day Singaporeans who venture overseas.

Are the latter not 'foreigner workers' competing with citizens of those countries and 'robbing' them of jobs?

Let us not accuse others of depriving us of jobs. Instead, we should focus on how best we can adapt and retrain to meet the challenges ahead.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes if you paid them salary which cannot support their family, why would they work?
check how much money the western countries paid their construction, road sweeper, cleaner etc and how much sinkies companies paid them.

We have always communicated in Mandarin, although my command of the language is oftentimes lacking.

The reply to my message of a few lines stunned me: The long e-mail was written in perfect English - the grammar was faultless, the choice of words apt and the sentence construction, fluent.

It was also a wake-up call, making me realise that there are many foreigners who are more competent than us fighting with us for a job.

It was wise of the Government and companies to bring in foreign talents to help build Singapore into a First World city. Many have suggested that in the present severe recession we should keep whatever jobs there are for Singaporeans. Foreigners and even permanent residents, they claimed, are robbing us of jobs.

From the employer's point of view, it is what gives him the best value for the money he pays in salaries that matters, never mind if a worker is a Singaporean or a foreigner.

It was reported that at a recent job fair, people were interested mainly in jobs offered by the integrated resorts. Interest in the childcare, teaching and nursing sectors was low although there were many vacancies.

Perhaps the perceived glamour of working in the leisure industry was a major pull factor.

There are also many jobs at construction sites, but few Singaporeans take up such work.

Should we send all foreign workers home overnight, the whole construction industry would come to a standstill.

My present company, which has a policy of hiring only SINGAPOREANS also has difficulty in recruiting people. "Dirty", "Work Secrecy", "Socially Shun Upon", shift work and rotating days off are some of the many grouses.

Different countries have different talent pools and it is through 'importing' talent we need that we learn and progress.

It is through tapping such expertise that we can expedite projects. Thanks to the genius of a few of them, we have chalked up many achievements.

Besides, all our forefathers were 'foreigners' when they came here, as are present-day Singaporeans who venture overseas.

Are the latter not 'foreigner workers' competing with citizens of those countries and 'robbing' them of jobs?

Let us not accuse others of depriving us of jobs. Instead, we should focus on how best we can adapt and retrain to meet the challenges ahead.

huahero

Alfrescian
Loyal
They helped by turning Downtown East (Wild Wild Wet) into a fun jungle last sunday.

water4edit.jpg

hemunkeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes if you paid them salary which cannot support their family, why would they work?
check how much money the western countries paid their construction, road sweeper, cleaner etc and how much sinkies companies paid them.

Ever wonder why countries like Japan and Korea have no problem finding workers in their population working in factories and retail shop etc. Is because they do not have the option of hiring china man, woman or pinoys as they don't speak their language and they have a minimum wage policies. Here in sunny sillypore we speak English and Mandarin plus no minimum wage policies thanks to our brilliant millionaire minister

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Then pray tell how do the Japaneses, Swedes, Koreans, Canadian,... manage to compete globally :confused: These countries believe in citizens first.

Don't you think a gov't has to look after own it's citizens first? If they ignore this responsibility then why should Spore citizens have "a duty" to do NS?

If you are going to argue for an open system based on merit then abolish NS, or apply NS to foreigners. Spore gov't should not be subsidising foreigners with freebies like scholarship, housing subsidies, allowing them to cut queue,...

The jobs of running Spore should also be open to any capable Sporeans. Why should LKY & his family be allowed to fix the system? Do you really think it's good value for money them to receive all those millions $$$.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It will be so much easier for sinkies to be an employer. But sinkies are sinkies, they are only good in blaming others. so good luck.

PLs unsinkified yourself and work towards being an employer, you will be in a much better position.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ever wonder why countries like Japan and Korea have no problem finding workers in their population working in factories and retail shop etc. Is because they do not have the option of hiring china man, woman or pinoys as they don't speak their language and they have a minimum wage policies. Here in sunny sillypore we speak English and Mandarin plus no minimum wage policies thanks to our brilliant millionaire minister

i being to an japan factory, and they have brazilian, malaysian, chinaman.
they also have FT.

But not in number like singapore.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dear Ron Ron

Dun talk cock here. Dun always bring up the menial work like construction workers or food court cleaners to bullshit people over this PR thingy.

Do you know that even the stats board are hiring PRs? Is government jobs work that Singaporeans are shunning? I am not even talking about fuckup work such as catching migrants off Jurong Island.

Someone already mentioned about LTA hiring PRC workers. I know of Indonesians and Malaysians holding middle management positions in other well known stat boards such as IDA and EDB.

Are these work that Singaporeans do not want? Are these work that Singaporeans cannot create value?

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will be so much easier for sinkies to be an employer. But sinkies are sinkies, they are only good in blaming others. so good luck.

PLs unsinkified yourself and work towards being an employer, you will be in a much better position.

Let me be frank. The crux of the problem is you can't get a decent day's work out of the Ah Beng regardless of how much you are willing to pay these jokers. Tharman Shanmugam, LSL, Teo CH, LKY, Vivian B, etc are fully aware of the problem but find it difficult for the sake of political expedience to blurt the truth out loud. Instead they keep telling the population that FTs are vital to SG's success without elaborating. The only one remotely close to coming clean is LKY as he did with the "shooting, mugging and car-jacking" comments many years ago. I doubt the stoopid Ah Beng even remembers the comment.

The task of running my factory in SG has been made that much more difficult with the cap on FT and I have already put EDB and MOM on notice if I do not get compensation and relief in 2010, I will relocate the factory to Tanjong Pinang. Its going to be tough going forward with a significant loss in profit but it will be to my benefit in the long run as opposed to hedging my bets with the good for nothing Singaporeans.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let me be frank. The crux of the problem is you can't get a decent day's work out of the Ah Beng regardless of how much you are willing to pay these jokers. Tharman Shanmugam, LSL, Teo CH, LKY, Vivian B, etc are fully aware of the problem but find it difficult for the sake of political expedience to blurt the truth out loud. Instead they keep telling the population that FTs are vital to SG's success without elaborating. The only one remotely close to coming clean is LKY as he did with the "shooting, mugging and car-jacking" comments many years ago. I doubt the stoopid Ah Beng even remembers the comment.

The task of running my factory in SG has been made that much more difficult with the cap on FT and I have already put EDB and MOM on notice if I do not get compensation and relief in 2010, I will relocate the factory to Tanjong Pinang. Its going to be tough going forward with a significant loss in profit but it will be to my benefit in the long run as opposed to hedging my bets with the good for nothing Singaporeans.

Please go! Dun wait till 2010. We dun need you to fight for water and electricity and make Singapore more crowded with your FT. For your sake, please go.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think if you pay S$4000/- for a cleaner's job.

Many Singaporeans will queue up...:biggrin:

It is the demands of good wages by Singaporeans cannot be met by the greedy suppliers of labour, who prefer cheap labours and high profit margins.

And they had to resort to cheap labours from abroad, which ultimately affects the productivity of the entire country....plus the increase widening of the GINI index....as a result poor allocation financial resources by the government.

With 4 room flats for a family going at 300K market rate....you expect a father of 2 having a job that pays S$800/- per month?

Tell me, Who has the problem with the correct sense of proportion?

That's the problem with PAP today...

mscitw

Alfrescian
Loyal
this stupid peasant or paid lackey ought to consider opening up the political sector to foreign talent competition, it will provide competition to fat cat vermins who rule peasants!

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

You are not the only one running a factory in Singapore, I too have run a factory in sg in the 1990s, in those days the Govt told me that if I needed so many Foreigners to run my factory, my factory was not competitive and I was told to fuck off to Indo, MY or Thailand.....in my heart I knew what they said was true and that I was unwilling to invest capital in my factory to make it less labour intensive, it was really sunset type industry not suitable for SG operations.

So ppl like you should be told to ship up or ship out....the door is open, can't operate here w/o foreigners then leave, you are only making SG uncompetitive by staying.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

hi there

1. bro, right on!
2. just be beware of hidden taxation & cost from indon.
3. i was there working for more than 5 years too.
4. not to mention the "corruption" rate.
5. you will never believe it. pls do your due diligence.
6. in sinkieland, no corruption mah!

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal

Singaporeans don't shun dirty works or construction jobs, if they do then Singaporeans won't be coolies or cheap labours during the British occupations. The fact is PAPies deceived his people by using cheap Ah Neih from India for construction workers and therefore making it impossible for Sinkies to accept same pay conditions. Before the import of cheap Ah Neih, you have 300,000 cheap Mutland labours crossing the Causeway every morning to work and take away Sinkie dirty jobs too, making it impossible also for Sinkies to compete with the same pay conditions.

Sinkie construction industry is a con economy fake by the PAPies. It does not cost much to build multi-million dollars projects in Sinkingpore. The labour costs remain the same or move little over the past 15 years with no real increase in labour costs but only material costs go up. That is why PAP can con you with many multi-million dollars big projects and you see cranes towering all over the Singapore skyline as if Singapore bery busy.

Hiring imported AH Neih from India as construction workers also save face for PAPies as these Ah Neih dare not go on strikes to ask for better pay and work conditions and OHS on sites. In Australia you see Quilo construction workers go on strike to ask for pay rise and better working conditions, therefore increasing construction costs. You neber see many construction projects in Australia nowadays because the labour costs, insurances and better work conditions costs can kill your dream project.

How come most construction projects go to Korean constuction companies? It is either cheap to hire and they don't complaint and save face for PAPies, or Singaporeans have no talent to form own construction companies? Or PAP don't believe in their own people, can't trust own Singaporeans to build high rise projects?

jw5

Loyal
You're right, stop blaming the FTs.
Blame the PAP's policies instead.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal

You are wrong here. I was in Seoul and Tokyo the first 2 weeks of this month and I came across a number of PRCs working in F&B. Its a dead give away when they converse with each other in Mandarin. More so in Tokyo than in Seoul. But significant nonetheless.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans don't shun dirty works or construction jobs, if they do then Singaporeans won't be coolies or cheap labours during the British occupations. The fact is PAPies deceived his people by using cheap Ah Neih from India for construction workers and therefore making it impossible for Sinkies to accept same pay conditions. Before the import of cheap Ah Neih, you have 300,000 cheap Mutland labours crossing the Causeway every morning to work and take away Sinkie dirty jobs too, making it impossible also for Sinkies to compete with the same pay conditions.

rental cost for FT construction workers...S$100/-S$200/-

rental cost for SGPlian family of 3 bedroom flat S$1500/-

if construction workers pay is S$800-S$1000/-....

Tell me how to survive?

Dumbass retards MIWs...

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal

MOE education is damn lousy, yet PAP keeps boasting abt it ... juz simply look at the product of MOE schools, no wonder the rich let their kids goto international school, hey even some ministers/MPs do that ...