• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

ST Basking In Glory At Its Own Orgy Party

sgnewsalte

Alfrescian
Loyal
Check out what Editor Han Fook Kwang says about ST and you be laughing your socks off! :rolleyes:

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_339634.html

ST Forum still a hit on 2nd day <!--10 min-->
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr></tr> <tr> </tr> <!-- headline one : start --> <tr> </tr> <!-- headline one : end --> <!-- Author --> <tr><td colspan="2" class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold">By Yen Feng </td></tr> <!-- show image if available --> <tr valign="bottom"> <td width="330">
sg-forum.jpg

</td> <td width="10">
c.gif
</td> <td valign="bottom">
c.gif

The 45-minute session was not without brickbats, with one thrown by reader Haw Soon Juan (left), 67, who commented that the Forum page seemed 'very sympathetic to the authorities and institutions.' -- ST PHOTO: WANG HUI FEN
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!-- START OF : div id="storytext"-->
EDITORS of The Straits Times took questions from the public for the second day running at the annual ST Forum dialogue session on Tuesday.
Unlike the first session held on Monday - which at times turned raucous and vivacious - the general tone was more measured, with readers taking turns to ask questions ranging from the current financial state of newspapers in Singapore, to guidelines that determined the mix of letters published in the Forum page.

Of the estimated 350 attendees, most were readers who had written in to The Straits Times' Forum page in the last year. Others were government officials or representatives from companies.

This is the largest gathering of Forum writers since the dialogue session was established in 2002.

Firing off the first query was Mr Ananda Perera, 70, who wanted to know how the daily broadsheet was doing financially.

'How are you economically right now,' Mr Perera asked, 'especially with the challenge of the Internet and free newspapers?'

ST editor Han Fook Kwang chuckled and said it was a 'difficult first question', before turning serious: 'This is an absolutely urgent, critical issue - how to attract readership.'

Mr Han pointed to the recent bankruptcy of publishing giant Tribune Company, and the injection of $250 million to The New York Times by a Mexican billionaire, before adding that it was a 'worldwide problem, with many newspapers going under'.

'But financially,' he said, 'we're doing all right. We are one of the most successful - financially - newspapers in the world.'

'I would like to believe that we achieved this because of our assets - with our credibility, trust-worthiness, and the unique content we provide our readers.'

Ms Slyvia Lee, 50, wanted to know what the editors considered a 'successful' Forum page.

Forum editor Yap Koon Hong said the number of letters he receives a day - roughly about 80 - was one yardstick.

Mr Han added another was if readers believed that the page was a 'good and accurate reflection of what concerns readers in general.'

'It must reflect the diversity of their views - which must exist in any democratic society - if so, then I would call it a success.'

Tay Xiong Sheng, 23, a student, praised ST for being a 'gold standard' in local journalism before asking if there were a 'formula' to determine the mix of subjects featured on the Forum page.

'How do you judge what goes on the page? What's hot? What's controversial? Or is there an algorithm you use?' he asked.

'It has to be of sufficient interest and importance to the reader,' answered Mr Han. 'Again, what we strive for, is an accurate reflection of what concerns Singaporeans every day.'

The 45-minute session was not without brickbats, with one thrown by reader Haw Soon Juan, 67, who commented that the Forum page seemed 'very sympathetic to the authorities and institutions'.

He said: 'This is not right.'

Mr Han disagreed.

'I think it's a good thing that the authorities are so responsive. In many countries readers' letters fall into a big, black hole. Their letters add to the discussion.'

Rounding up the night was Mr George Jacobs, president of the Vegetarian Society (Singapore), who wanted to know if a writer could include links to websites in their submitted letters; and if journalists are encouraged to respond to queries from the public about their published articles.

To the first question, ST.com editor Joanne Lee answered: 'Yes, you're very welcome to do so.'

And to the other, Mr Han said: 'Many journalists are very eager to reply! My approach is, I tell the reporters, you don't always have to have the last word.'

And with that, the dialogue drew to a close.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ananda Perera despite his years in journalism is real dickhead. SPH is a monopoly and the advertisement are a gold mine. It is one of the richest company here.

The 23 kid has no brains. How can it be the best newpaper here when there is only one entity that has management in Singapore press.

Bunch of morons.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
'It must reflect the diversity of their views - which must exist in any democratic society - if so, then I would call it a success.'

What a moron. When you don't publish critical letter, sooner or later you don't get diversity.

iamelite

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ananda Perera despite his years in journalism is real dickhead. SPH is a monopoly and the advertisement are a gold mine. It is one of the richest company here.

The 23 kid has no brains. How can it be the best newpaper here when there is only one entity that has management in Singapore press.

Bunch of morons.

That 23 yr old kid is right what..
Being the only local newspaper.. it is the best 'coz there is no competition!
Haha...

And I think the kid was being sarcastic as you can see his question was what do you determine is worth publishing.. obviously in reference to JAMIE YEO AND GLEN ONG DIVORCE MAKING IT IN THE MAIN SECTION..

I AM LIKE.. WTF AGAIN... AND AGAIN..AND AGAIN..