• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat S'poreans lack critical thinking

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
He was referring to those on the middle and senior ranks. Even so anyone even at the bottom of the letter should be able to think thru if something is not right or does not make sense.

If you look at the some of the comments in social media about the trains, some of the comments suggest that they did think not thru the issues. Would you carry on using your newly bought noisy refrigerator and then return it 5 years later for warranty repairs. I am sure no junior ranking civil servant will accept the situation. Though this is very simplistic example, it appears that we appear to accept what the government and the straits Times tell us.

At the bottom think through no use. The director at the middle will tell you boss approved means ok! All you get is complaints of non cooperative from your colleagues and disdain from boss. Who will continue to think through like that? Just do as told lah.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
This is not taught in schools, we are brainwashed just to listen and do since young, not to challenge the system.

Sinkies are too pre-occupied with managing their heavy debt and their first priority is to keep their job safe in order to sustain their "singapore dream" lifestyle.

This is what the gahment wants to instil in most Sinkies so they will not have the time to be critical and challenge them.

But with the popularity of social media increasing in the recent years, this notion that they have planted in us is slowly losing traction.

U are absolutely right. I have many good friends who are teachers and principals. We always have furious debates about what is taught in school. i tell them its much better to teach the students about how the CPF works, or how HDB works, or take them to NTUC and give them a hypothetical budget and see whether they can support themselves on a fixed amount of money. They should learn practical life skills, and financial skills rather then spending 3 days learning etiquette. They are not doing thme any service at all.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
good points raised but here again education in the British empire system is about getting the English Oxford exams marks to go to their universities.

All these British type education is for British use. If teach subjects like you said no foreign unis to go or Harvard quali to get in.

U are absolutely right. I have many good friends who are teachers and principals. We always have furious debates about what is taught in school. i tell them its much better to teach the students about how the CPF works, or how HDB works, or take them to NTUC and give them a hypothetical budget and see whether they can support themselves on a fixed amount of money. They should learn practical life skills, and financial skills rather then spending 3 days learning etiquette. They are not doing thme any service at all.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
small matter don't complain much.

I say keep on support the Chinese manufacturers to allow or give them a chance to do better products next time. Chinese give Chinese business.

Also Chinese and China was made a poor nation for 150 years by the bastard British and deprived of 150 years of advance technology progress. Look at Japan today they are advanced country becos they are able to stop fucking Pommies to drug their nation.

China and Chinese is only country that can with stand chao angmoh nonsense for more years to come.

So much complains of US made F35 fighter defects and end up also have to buy their new model, why?

Over time CHina will be powerful in gunboat diplomacy and will colonize British isle and contain Europe and drug them. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

At the bottom think through no use. The director at the middle will tell you boss approved means ok! All you get is complaints of non cooperative from your colleagues and disdain from boss. Who will continue to think through like that? Just do as told lah.

hugs

Alfrescian
Loyal
For every 1 Oxford scholar, there might be 99 parents made poor by tuition and childcare.
good points raised but here again education in the British empire system is about getting the English Oxford exams marks to go to their universities.

All these British type education is for British use. If teach subjects like you said no foreign unis to go or Harvard quali to get in.

hugs

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sometimes I wonder why Mr LKY insisted the importance of Chinese language yet didn't help those ACS boys. ACS boys are famous for being rich, and politics need a lot of money; they are also famous for being really smart not just academically, but really smart with supportive parents; they are usually ACS from pri to JC, very tight alumni. They could have formed another group of "PAP" if they want. But they were told that their Chinese sucks and that they lose out to RI/RJC. Their image tarnished as being rich brats, and politician needs a clean name. A lot of them are successful but they never enter politics.

I say keep on support the Chinese manufacturers to allow or give them a chance to do better products next time. Chinese give Chinese business.

Also Chinese and China was made a poor nation for 150 years by the bastard British and deprived of 150 years of advance technology progress. Look at Japan today they are advanced country becos they are able to stop fucking Pommies to drug their nation.

China and Chinese is only country that can with stand chao angmoh nonsense for more years to come.

So much complains of US made F35 fighter defects and end up also have to buy their new model, why?

Over time CHina will be powerful in gunboat diplomacy and will colonize British isle and contain Europe and drug them. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
No matter what background you come from, by the time you complete your schooling with ACS, you will know what to aim for to be successful in life. There are numerous successful parents of classmates who become role models for the kids as they develop during their formative years. An ACSian is very unlikely to take up a government scholarship and more likely to head overseas for his tertiary education if they can afford it. They also see no borders and no barriers. Even if they take up one of more established professions such as doctors and accountants, it will run along strong business lines.

The single most important that you learn when you grow up in a culture like that is to emulate success and strong sense of confidence. An outsider will notice one particular aspect in an ACSian - a complete lack of ideology including capitalism or market economics. The ability to succeed and the faith in oneself is very apparent. This is just anecdote - I know one brother who went to ACS and the younger brother went to SJI. Both nice chaps, both completely different after completing their studies. One is a teacher and the other went to head PR for an MNC in Asia and you can figure out who went to ACS. One came out very polished, confident and was driven.

The lack of Chinese competency has never stopped an ACSian.

Sometimes I wonder why Mr LKY insisted the importance of Chinese language yet didn't help those ACS boys. ACS boys are famous for being rich, and politics need a lot of money; they are also famous for being really smart not just academically, but really smart with supportive parents; they are usually ACS from pri to JC, very tight alumni. They could have formed another group of "PAP" if they want. But they were told that their Chinese sucks and that they lose out to RI/RJC. Their image tarnished as being rich brats, and politician needs a clean name. A lot of them are successful but they never enter politics.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes I think the problem is not PRC trains but stupid sinkies who buy high sell low from angmoh and buy high get lousy from PRCs. Support PRCs as long as we can get a mutually beneficial deal from them. Not ridiculous terms of many years for repair of trains.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is a world of difference between critical thinking and critical spirit.

I think Singaporeans are becoming more of the latter.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Basically,sinkees are ballsless, brainless,without morals and without conscience.They are easily manipulated by money $$$$$.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The lack of Chinese competency has never stopped an ACSian.

While my ACS education put down a solid foundation to build upon, what transformed my attitude to life was not my schooling but my 2 years spent in Silicon valley.

It opened my mind to the fact that the route that LKY had paved for me was not the road I wanted to take.

The top brains in Silicon valley don't work on the premise of permanent employment. They work at building net worth and they do that by working in spurts of 3 to 5 years and then cashing in and taking a break.

I realised it was a much better way of building up financial independence and that everything I had learned from the Singapore system was flawed.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not sure if people do understand the meaning of critical thinking. Besides those who are born naturally curious, its requires some level of nurturing where schooling days are quite important. It has nothing to do with being brave, tough or able to stand up in a confrontation. Its more to do with ability to to make an assessment of a situation and work out the right approach to handle it.

It also means if someone such as the government authorities give you an explanation to an incident, your mind and your experience should be able to pick it a apart to see if the explanation has legs or we are being merely led by the nose.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I recall 2 Heads of Cvil Service sent their sons to ACS and there never a question of following anything the Govt said or wanted. From day 1, they treated the World as their oyster. It looks like you did the same.

It was never the case with other schools.

I always wondered if it was the environment in ACS (location, plus the background of the parents) rather than the school ethos or mission. One thing was sure, any PAP said went into one ear and came out the other year.

I only know one President Scholar from RJC that broke the mould. Both her parents were ranking academics and her father was an MP. She did medicine in NUS and went one to become a surgeon. I also recalled she was very active in sports and fit as hell. Last I heard she is working as surgeon in a small hospital in a small town in Queensland. I thought that was brilliant - life balance, nothing to prove and still practice medicine for the community. She had all the hallmarks of a perm sec - smart, confident, sharp as hell and treated everyone as equals.

While my ACS education put down a solid foundation to build upon, what transformed my attitude to life was not my schooling but my 2 years spent in Silicon valley.

It opened my mind to the fact that the route that LKY had paved for me was not the road I wanted to take.

The top brains in Silicon valley don't work on the premise of permanent employment. They work at building net worth and they do that by working in spurts of 3 to 5 years and then cashing in and taking a break.

I realised it was a much better way of building up financial independence and that everything I had learned from the Singapore system was flawed.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Basically,sinkees are ballsless, brainless,without morals and without conscience.They are easily manipulated by money $$$$$.

Sinkies smart alec are exactly the same as the PAP that they complain of. One just said people can only upgrade and cannot downgrade (and must be lying).

hugs

Alfrescian
Loyal
That description fitted citizens that voted so they can milk the cow. The truth is they are being milked dry. Perhaps back to your drawing board?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I am not sure if people do understand the meaning of critical thinking. Besides those who are born naturally curious, its requires some level of nurturing where schooling days are quite important. It has nothing to do with being brave, tough or able to stand up in a confrontation. Its more to do with ability to to make an assessment of a situation and work out the right approach to handle it.

It also means if someone such as the government authorities give you an explanation to an incident, your mind and your experience should be able to pick it a apart to see if the explanation has legs or we are being merely led by the nose.

In the past this might be true, but this is the modern age of the internet. All you need is a small level of curiosity. And if you have that, then you check out other alternate websites like this, TRC, TOC, Mr Brown, etc. If you did that, you will get many alternate views other then what the PAP puts out in the shit times. By then exercising your brain to decide what is right and what makes sense, you have just engaged in critical thinking. Its practically spoonfed to them now if they are willing to take the time and small amount of effort. Compare the old days when you have to read newspapers, etc. Even back then, I held many debates with my friends going back to secondary school about the govt policies, and what not. its there that you sharpen your critical thinking because among your friends, you wil always have die hard PAP supporters, fence sitters, etc.U need to have critical thinking to debate with them and make your points across to them.