• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Special Yong Tau Foo & Lau Ah Ma GrassJelly

JoverChew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Special Yong Tau Foo – Golden Mile Food Centre

http://ieatishootipost.sg/special-yong-tau-foo-golden-mile-fc-part-5-of-8/

Yong-Tau-Foo1.jpg

Got there at almost 3pm and they have sold out most of their items.

Aiya! Only able to taste the soup, a few fish balls and Tau Kee (Crispy Bean Sheets).

I am not a big Yong Tau Foo man, so I’ve got to rely on ieatMaMa who loves the stuff to give her opinion.

Seller1.jpg

If you want to eat great food, you have to look for hawkers who are passionate and proud of their heritage and cooking.

There are a few types of hawkers nowadays. You have those in the food courts who are hired by a boss to run a stall, they won’t know nuts about the food. Then, you have hawker traders who merely buy stuff to sell, like most Tau Hway (Bean Curd) and Ngo Hiang (Prawn Fritters) stalls.

Most of the highest rated hawkers are of the third category. They insist on having the best ingredients and most of the time, this means that they have to prepare most of the food from scratch.

Fish-paste-beater1.jpg

So here’s the secret of this shop’s success. They make their own fish paste and insist on using the traditional Hang Zse Her (Yellow Tail) fish.

The fish paste is then used to fill the Capsicums, Brinjal, Tau Pok, Okra etc.

The water that the fish paste is soaked in is used to make the soup! Mmmmm, no wonder the soup is so nice.

And the fish balls are exceptional! They are not overly bouncy, but have that authentic bite and tastes like unadulterated fish meat, which is what it really is.

Storefront.91.jpg

Conclusion

Have to come one day to try the full menu! They have over 10 items that they make themselves, and it should not only be really tasty, but quite healthy too!

4/5 (Real Yong Tau Foo enthusiasts may rate it higher)

Golden Mile Special Yong Tau Foo

Address: B1-44 Golden Mile Food Centre, 199583
Opening hours: 11:00AM to 2:30AM
Closed: Sundays

JoverChew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Granny Chin Chow – Golden Mile Food Centre

http://ieatishootipost.sg/granny-chin-chow-golden-mile-fc-part-8-of-8/

Chin-Chow-bowl1.jpg

Just when I thought I was done for the day, (I mean, I had a 7 course lunch that afternoon, albeit shared among 4), I saw this store with the Makansutra label on it with 3 bowls and chopsticks. For those who don’t know, this is their “die-die-must-try” rating. Well, what to do? Die die must try lah! After all, this herbal jelly is supposed to cool you down after eating all that “heaty” stuff.

Chin-Chow-bucket1.jpg

The original Granny started selling this “cooling” jelly back in 1945. Most of really established hawkers I have spoken to started around this time after WWII. I wonder what people actually ate during the Japanese occupation, Sushi?

I like the texture of the jelly. Unlike the commercial ones that have the consistency of soft agar agar, this one has the consistency more like a nice soya bean curd, but more gelatine like. Soft enough for you to push through the gaps between your teeth. However, it does not really have that strong a “Chin Chow” taste. It reminds me of the Rochor Tau Hway, nice texture, but feel as if they just watered it down and sacrificed taste for texture.

Still it was very enjoyable and a redemption from guilt after all that chilli stuff. At least I have done the right thing and restored my Yin/Yang balance.

storefrotn1.jpg

Conclusion

I like the texture but a bit more taste would be great. Slightly more expensive then the normal Chin Chow, but definitely will take this again when I come back. 4/5

Zhao An Granny Grass Jelly

Address: #01-58 Golden Mile FC, 199583
Opening hours: 11:00AM to 7:00AM
Closed: Sundays

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Aiyo...why u so bad... be nice lah...

Wah, the top peekture on the left got one chiobu showing the side breast in her white singlet. U got book her for the massage or not? This place is so convenient. Can order your Tong Tau Foo then grass jelly dessert, then order the female masseuse. Like 3 in one.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Ah Meng, you got ask the stall owner after Nathan visited their stall, how many weeks did it take to get rid of the curry and BO smell?

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Wah, the top peekture on the left got one chiobu showing the side breast in her white singlet. U got book her for the massage or not? This place is so convenient. Can order your Tong Tau Foo then grass jelly dessert, then order the female masseuse. Like 3 in one.

buay sui lah...:biggrin::biggrin:

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
the monkey still alive not?...eyes open big big as the waiter use a saw cut open the skull, then use a spatula scoop the brain out and put in your bowl

I never see the killing...bo seed... limpei only kena served by the ahtiongbus with clients..bopianzzz...chor seng li got to play along...:biggrin: