• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Some common Malay words that are useful to know in JB

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
well said bro... ini baru cikgu groober bahasa melayu

Thanks bro but my Malay is not that good too. Passable yes and can carry a conversation with the local Malays up to a point. Sometimes I can see a puzzle look on their face trying to understand me.:biggrin: What is ok in JB and KL may not be understood by the locals in Pahang and further North as they have a different dialect. I cannot understand Kelantanese.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suppose you need to have real life conversations in Malay to understand better. Understanding Malay by reading and translating is rudimentary at best and can lead to misunderstanding. A better way but quite troublesome is to copy the Malay translation and then reverse it from Malay/English to English/Malay. That too is not perfect.

Yeah I think so too, can't understand whenever I overhead some Malay conversations in JB except simple words like panas talking about hot weather..

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks bro but my Malay is not that good too. Passable yes and can carry a conversation with the local Malays up to a point. Sometimes I can see a puzzle look on their face trying to understand me.:biggrin: What is ok in JB and KL may not be understood by the locals in Pahang and further North as they have a different dialect. I cannot understand Kelantanese.

Actually how long did you all take to learn Malay to reach the current standard? I presume you all are non-Malays who did not learn Malay in school since young?

groober2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually how long did you all take to learn Malay to reach the current standard? I presume you all are non-Malays who did not learn Malay in school since young?

I grew up in a multi-racial society having friends of different races. We mixed around and chatted with one another. I often travel to Malaysia and through my business make some good Malay friends. We meet one another once in a while.

Honestly, Malay is one of the easiest language to know as it is written using Latin alphabets.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I grew up in a multi-racial society having friends of different races. We mixed around and chatted with one another. I often travel to Malaysia and through my business make some good Malay friends. We meet one another once in a while.

Honestly, Malay is one of the easiest language to know as it is written using Latin alphabets.

It took me about 4 years and the help of an ex indonesian gf too. Nothing to it

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Oic you have Malay friends in Malaysia through business. Actually I took a learning Malay course in community centre many years ago and at time felt that Malay very easy to learn too.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
It took me about 4 years and the help of an ex indonesian gf too. Nothing to it

Indonesian gf sure helpful, I found the Indonesia Malay sounds like music...like no full stop and tone different from JB/Spore Malay? You can understand JB/local Malay by understanding Indonesia Malay?

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Indonesian gf sure helpful, I found the Indonesia Malay sounds like music...like no full stop and tone different from JB/Spore Malay? You can understand JB/local Malay by understanding Indonesia Malay?

indo malay very headache ...

eg:

bisa in indo is BOLEH
bisa in My is POISON :eek: