• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

So what if paddlers are China-born?

omega

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/ST+Forum/Online+Story/STIStory_269396.html

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>So what if paddlers are China-born? They are true champions
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->
WHILE we are all feeling happy about an Olympic medal finally, it is likely that many Singaporeans will downplay the significance of this silver medal in table tennis, because the players who attained it for Singapore are China-born. These could be the same people who cheered their hearts out on the day of the semi-finals, or people who didn't bother to watch because there weren't 'born-and- bred' Singaporeans.

I find it heart-wrenching that athletes who represent Singapore do not get as much support as they should, and face criticism, even after winning a medal. Our table tennis players are Singaporean, although they were born in China. This is a fact, otherwise they would not have been allowed to play for Singapore. I do hope Singaporeans do not make a habit of harping on the fact that it was 'China-born' who won for us, and not 'true Singaporeans'.

If someone really feels that foreign talent winning for us is not as glamorous, I hope he can be proud of Singapore for one reason. The United States and Canadian table-tennis teams include several China-born players, as does South Korea, which we just beat. However, it is only the foreign talent that Singapore has that is now the silver medallist in table tennis at the Olympics. Does this not show that Singapore's foreign talent scheme is working better than that of other countries and we provide better training and have better coaches?

I view all our athletes as representatives of Singapore, and I am proud of all of them. True Singaporeans support all the athletes who compete on behalf of our country in the Olympics, and support bonding of Singaporeans via the common aim of a medal. I hope this medal and the performance of all athletes in these Olympics will be a source of pride to all Singaporeans. I am very proud of our table tennis team for their hard work and fighting spirit during the semi-finals.
Audrey Chia (Miss)

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is truly a UNIQUELY SINGAPORE sensation, where as in the world will you find a country feeling so euphoric and celebrating over a "silver" medal?????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Loongsam

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is truly a UNIQUELY SINGAPORE sensation, where as in the world will you find a country feeling so euphoric and celebrating over a "silver" medal?????:confused::confused::confused::confused:
I really have my doubts. Most of the Sinkies really do not give a shit. It is probably the media that is hyping this up.

I have heard that Goh Chok Tong said the win was twenty years in planning and did not happen by flute. Well, if it was so predicted, then why did the PM's rally speech clash with the semi-final live broadcast? It was only last minute the rally speech was moved to accommodate.

Think about this. Even with foreign imports, it is not possible for Singapore to win big on the world stage. Winning the silver was probably a stroke of luck.

Look at the sailors. Talk so much about their ability to win. More like the sea breeze got they carried far far away this Olympics.

omega

Alfrescian
Loyal
Loongsam said:
Most of the Sinkies really do not give a shit. It is probably the media that is hyping this up.

Sinkies care more about their pocket than a silly medal! You are right :biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sinkies care more about their pocket than a silly medal! You are right :biggrin:

Absolutely correct. Singaporeans can't gamble with their future on "maybe" winning medals. Then what? no future after that. Look at our "local" successful sportsmen/sportswomen. where are they?

This is why FTs are more suitable, but don't expect many Singaporeans to feel patriotic, proud, enthusiastic,...when they win.

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
The silver medal is void because they are direct imports to compete for us in name only. One of them stays in Singapore only for a year. If all other countries do the same, it will be mayhem !!

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Btw...do we get to keep the medals since we've paid for them :confused:

they probably frame it and put in some where monumental like maybe museum or place like discovery center..and put a plaque declaring "THE NATION CELEBRATES IT VERY SECOND SILVER OLYMPIC MEDAL AFTER 48 YEARS!!!"...

splintuh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now STTA just needs to buy some sports psychologists to teach the gals how to think like winners and overcome the odds. But the psychologist needs to come from china coz the gals don't speak english v.well ... :p

Anyway, how does SSC monetize the $$$ put into the FT Sports Scheme? What's the ROI?