• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SMRT, what's next???

cheowyonglee

Alfrescian
Loyal
First was this...

swiss_mrt_vandal_jail_term_too_short_says_prosecution-thumbnail.jpg

then this...

2ba259758d6607140b479d51f0bf6695_330.jpg

what's next???

:confused: :confused: :confused:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MRT breakdown: Man who smashed window 'a hero'

It is believed that the man broke the window as his wife was ill and had difficulty breathing. -- PHOTO: STOMP
By Shuli Sudderuddin
Secretary Michelle Chan, 35, who took the picture of a stalled MRT train's broken window, considers the man who smashed it a hero.

'When you are in a situation like that, you hope that there's a hero to help you. That's what he did,' said Ms Chan who sent the photo to a friend to ask him to try and get help for the commuters trapped after the North-South Line suffered a breakdown on Thursday.

The photo went viral shortly after.

Chinese evening paper Shin Min Daily News identified the man as a 31-year-old insurance agent who declined to give his name.

It is believed that he broke the window as his wife was ill and had difficulty breathing.

He was quoted as saying that helping people, not defacing property, was the first thing on his mind.

SMRT has said that it is not going to charge the man.

Recalling the incident on Thursday, Ms Chan said she was terrified when the train jerked and stopped in the tunnel between City Hall and Dhoby Ghaut stations.

She had finished work at Raffles Place and was going to meet her husband to attend an Isetan sale in Orchard Road.

'The train wasn't moving smoothly so I was worried something was going to happen,' she said.

The train stopped, the lights went out and, after 20 minutes, she heard the driver talking to a passenger on the intercom.

'The passenger asked the driver to open the door, but he said he wasn't allowed to, for safety reasons. He kept reassuring us, and there was still ventilation, so it was okay,' she said.

It was not - the ventilation soon stopped and power was cut off.

In the darkness, and with no more news from the driver, Ms Chan started to panic. It was getting hotter and she could feel herself growing breathless and needing to use the toilet.

She heard a little boy beside her crying in fear.

'Everybody was panting and I thought we would run out of air,' she said.

That was when Ms Chan noticed the man opposite her. He was with a woman and was wearing a business shirt.

Though it was too dark to see his face, she thought he could be in his late 20s or early 30s.

She saw him speak to the woman, then heard him say: 'There is a fire extinguisher there. Let's smash the window.'

'He went to get the extinguisher and people started moving out of his way,' she said. 'Someone shouted at him to cool down, but he calmly brought it over to the window and started hitting it. I was very scared.'

Ms Chan said he had to hit the window five or six times with force before it shattered. The loud noises prompted her friend, who was on the phone with her, to ask what was going on.

'When the window shattered, there was glass everywhere and we were frightened. But some air came in and people started breathing more easily. He told us all to stay away from the glass as it was dangerous and if the train moved suddenly, someone might fall on it,' she recalled.

Eventually, the doors were forced open by someone else in the cabin and the passengers were helped out.

'I thought he did a good job,' said Ms Chan of the man who broke the window. 'He shouldn't get into trouble.'

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is next? Good question. If SMRT continue to take things lightly as they did for the graffiti cases and treat maintenance as low priority (10 YEARS didnt check!) while treating fare increase and CEO pay increase as high priority (annual increase!), it is a matter of time before a tragedy happens and not just delays and disruption.

takchenow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Goodness gracious me! SMRT should count itself lucky that it's not sued by those trapped.

MRT breakdown: Man who smashed window 'a hero'
SMRT has said that it is not going to charge the man.
'I thought he did a good job,' said Ms Chan of the man who broke the window. 'He shouldn't get into trouble.'

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
breaking windows to save lives is a gut-induced initiative that needs to be rewarded. there is hope for sinkies.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if you count the misdeeds of SMRT, they are longer than a sari (no pun intended)

off hand, I can recall

-one train lang-gah another in Clementi
-overcrowding on platforms in Jurong East
-scores of peasants jump MRT tracks
-Thai girl fell onto track kenna chopped legs
-vandalism - 2 times
-breakdown 3 times

I suggest CEO of SMRT go bath flower water or go pray to 4-face buddha.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if you count the misdeeds of SMRT, they are longer than a sari (no pun intended)

off hand, I can recall

-vandalism - 2 times
-breakdown 3 times

Psst!, the Lightning god, she pray to, ver powerderful, the rest of the immortals, no horse run!:biggrin:

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
breaking windows to save lives is a gut-induced initiative that needs to be rewarded. there is hope for sinkies.

Even SBS buses have little hammers kept close to windows with instructions for commuters to break the glass for any emergency situation for purposes of evacuation.
Why is the SMRT not doing this on their trains? They had the chick to even issue a threat to other passengers not to resort to damaging their trains. To the SMRT their trains are an asset (to earn profits for top guns and investors) whereas life of human is "worthless".
It would have been a publicity disaster if the authorities had gone ahead and charged the "MRT Heroa" who smashed the window for ventilation under the offence of Vandalism.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

off hand, I can recall

-vandalism - 2 times
-breakdown 3 times

I honestly don't know what the hell you're moaning about. Considering the fact that the MRT has been operating since 1987, that's a remarkably short list of grouses.

1) Every nation under the sun that runs a rail system has had railway accidents. Most have had far worse consequences.

2) The overcrowding of trains in Singapore is nothing compared to the overcrowding in Tokyo and Osaka.

3) Using the trains to commit suicide is not the fault of the SMRT. It's the fault of the idiots who want to end their lives over minor setbacks. It reflects poorly on those losers not the train service.

4) If a Thai girl fell onto the tracks, it's her own stupid fault for not keeping behind the yellow lines.

5) Trains in NY, Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland are vandalised DAILY. The MRT's record of twice in more than 2 decades is outstanding. The rest of the world is full of admiration for the way the SMRT keeps it's trains graffiti free.

6) 3 breakdowns is an excellent record. Auckland's trains break down monthly. The system ground to a halt on the first day of the rugby world cup. http://www.aktnz.co.nz/tag/breakdown/

LEARN TO COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS! You don't know how lucky you are to be a Singaporean.

Graffiti_train_sam.468.jpeg

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I honestly don't know what the hell you're moaning about. Considering the fact that the MRT has been operating since 1987, that's a remarkably short list of grouses.

1) Every nation under the sun that runs a rail system has had railway accidents. Most have had far worse consequences.

2) The overcrowding of trains in Singapore is nothing compared to the overcrowding in Tokyo and Osaka.

3) Using the trains to commit suicide is not the fault of the SMRT. It's the fault of the idiots who want to end their lives over minor setbacks. It reflects poorly on those losers not the train service.

4) If a Thai girl fell onto the tracks, it's her own stupid fault for not keeping behind the yellow lines.

5) Trains in NY, Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland are vandalised DAILY. The MRT's record of twice in more than 2 decades is outstanding. The rest of the world is full of admiration for the way the SMRT keeps it's trains graffiti free.

6) 3 breakdowns is an excellent record. Auckland's trains break down monthly. The system ground to a halt on the first day of the rugby world cup. http://www.aktnz.co.nz/tag/breakdown/

LEARN TO COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS! You don't know how lucky you are to be a Singaporean.

View attachment 3213

all this because...we have the highest paid politicians...

so, they have to be purer than pure, whiter than white.

thats all.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Where would I be able to go trout fishing if I went back? Can I ride my jet ski without a boating license in singapore?

In Spore it's all about dollars & sense.

You can do whatever you want as long as you are willing to pay "extra" for the privilege:smile:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

thats all.

Exactly!!!!...and that's the reason why the SMRT system is so much better than many mass rapid transit systems around the world but to expect the system to run 100% fault free for 25 years is simply ridiculous. Your head's stuck in a different planet.

Quality and reliability aren't measured on a binary scale of 0 and 1. While the goal may be absolute perfection, perfection doesn't exist anywhere in the universe that I live in. Things will go wrong from time to time. That's a simple fact of life.

I'd venture to say that most singaporeans have more defects than the SMRT system they ride in.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

thats all.

hi there

1. wait till someone literally dies on the train!
2. what's will it next excuse?
3. not train to handle death in train or what!